Forum Settings
Forums

why does anime (and manga) rarely tackle married life?

New
Nov 23, 2015 5:40 AM
Sep 2015
It is sad that their isn't much anime focusing on family life and romance
like husband X wife.

is it that boring? i mean if authors can make an unrealistic romance stories between two single people, why can't they make a good unrealistic story about husband and wife. It doesn't have to be realistic to be entertaining, in fact reality is boring.

I feel that this territory isn't much explored
although there are a lot of hentai NTRs involving married couples which i hate and i don't include them under family life and an romance.

the only anime i encountered that focus on husband X wife is I Can't Understand What My Husband Is Saying. there are probably some old schools i've missed.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 23, 2015 5:43 AM

Mar 2012
As far as I know Josei have some of it.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Nov 23, 2015 5:44 AM
Apr 2015
Most mangakas don't have experience that's why
Nov 23, 2015 5:45 AM

Feb 2010
married life is boring
Nov 23, 2015 5:46 AM

Jul 2012
teens can't self insert into MC
Nov 23, 2015 5:46 AM

Mar 2014
Married couples? Ew

My waifu only belongs to me
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Nov 23, 2015 5:47 AM

Sep 2015
Fanbase wouldn't be able to identify with it
Nov 23, 2015 5:50 AM

Dec 2014
Risara said:
this.they are probably busy creating manga to even get married,so they wouldn't know how to portray married life

Join reddit r/anime community!
Nov 23, 2015 5:55 AM

Feb 2013
noobsoldier said:
Risara said:
this.they are probably busy creating manga to even get married,so they wouldn't know how to portray married life

But don't they know what its like from observing their parents for half their life?
Nov 23, 2015 5:56 AM

Sep 2015
For what it's worth, the anime "I Can't Understand What My Husband Is Saying" is pretty damn funny. It's a short anime (3minute episodes, 2 seasons) but it's about a married couple.

Would highly recommend that one.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Nov 23, 2015 6:00 AM

May 2008
A lot of the time, isn't married life in Japan the man working all fucking night and the woman doing nothing? That doesn't sound very exciting.
Nov 23, 2015 6:06 AM

Feb 2013
Risara said:
this
plus the target audience doesn't have either
Nov 23, 2015 6:14 AM

Jan 2014
I think it's because the majority of people who read manga and watch anime in Japan are kids. There are obviously genres that cater to adults but the main demographic to appeal to is still the kids in school.
I'm a jazz number with no beat, tune, or direction.

Nov 23, 2015 6:43 AM

Sep 2015
What are target demographics?
Nov 23, 2015 6:52 AM

Jan 2013
Married life is not the eat-all-you-can-cake-buffet that harem series are.
Nov 23, 2015 6:58 AM
Jul 2018
CondemneDio said:

+1.

The target audience is less too, they will grab the harems b4 your husbandxwife.
Nov 23, 2015 6:59 AM

Nov 2013
Cause it's for kids.
Signature was not removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Tulip & Flower Guidelines.
Nov 23, 2015 7:00 AM

Jul 2007
It has to do with NEET expectations. NEETs love "untouched" characters and marriage would be weird for them and actually showing be it strong romantic actions or sexual situations can cause a huge outrage (think "Omg muh waifu got defiled! She a slut now!").

IT is especially prevalent when talking about Yuri - you will NEVER see a lesbian couple marry because NEETs and majority of japan's society prefers to view lgbt relationships as "experimentation before growing up and birthing babies".

Thus most of romances are set in highschool and you will never see an actual progress. Even in MAL, if you have any sort of sexual scene or implication, you will see posters slut-shaming the characters involved or be disappointed that relationship is not more "innocent".
Nov 23, 2015 7:03 AM

Oct 2014
inb4 "all riajuu should just explode"
Nov 23, 2015 7:04 AM

Feb 2012
Is there some specific reason why it needs to? Being "unexplored" is not good enough of a reason. There aren't too many anime wildlife documentaries, but what "void" would you be filling like that?
Nov 23, 2015 7:09 AM

Dec 2014
married life traps you. It's better to see an alternate reality where harem, adventure, drama and eechi are all possible
Nov 23, 2015 7:11 AM

Nov 2014
Risara said:

Yeah. That probably explains the abundance of lackluster romance stories.

Temoze said:
Cause it's for kids.

I don't recall it always being that way. There seemed to be more anime for adults (18+) in the 90s.
Nov 23, 2015 7:13 AM

Jan 2013
Lancehot said:
CondemneDio said:

Damn, foiled again!
Nov 23, 2015 7:21 AM

Nov 2013
aikaflip said:
Risara said:

Yeah. That probably explains the abundance of lackluster romance stories.

Temoze said:
Cause it's for kids.

I don't recall it always being that way. There seemed to be more anime for adults (18+) in the 90s.

Young adults are like kids nowadays.
I was not serious
Signature was not removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Tulip & Flower Guidelines.
Nov 23, 2015 7:22 AM
Aug 2012
married life blows
Nov 23, 2015 7:27 AM

Nov 2015
Risara said:

claps

what a savage
"Talent is something you make bloom, instinct is something you polish."
Nov 23, 2015 7:30 AM

Mar 2015
they are plenty, but rarely get adaptation due the content. read manga. the real masterrace.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Nov 23, 2015 7:55 AM

Apr 2010
Well the biggest reason is probably the fact that most anime characters are either still in junior high or high school making them not old enough to marry.
And at that age they don't think about things like marriage yet.

Personally i would like to see more anime with characters in their 20's or 30's but it's questionable if that's every gonna happen.

There is also the target audience of anime marriage might be something for Seinen or Josei anime but i don't it's such a good idea for shounen or shoujo anime.
That being said there are some good manga about marriage.
Nov 23, 2015 8:01 AM

Apr 2011
Particularly with anime it just doesn't sell, not a big enough demographic. There is plenty of manga that deal with that topic, but a lot of the times it wont even get translated due to no real demand for it.
Nov 23, 2015 8:02 AM

Nov 2008
Marriage sucks for most Japanese and some men can't even keep their money despite the wife working. Dream marriages like in Danna ga Nani wo Itteiru ka Wakaranai Ken or the real life marriage of Hideaki and Moyoco Anno are super rare.

Nov 23, 2015 8:14 AM
Feb 2013
they dont even like showing parents in anime

as the other guy said, marriage life blows
Nov 23, 2015 8:18 AM

Mar 2015
Cuz most otaku aren't married. True and painful fact.
Nov 23, 2015 8:21 AM

Apr 2010
OneTrueEmiya said:
Cuz most otaku aren't married. True and painful fact.

Bullshit.
Nov 23, 2015 9:32 AM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
I suppose authors find it boring to go that far into a relationship, so plenty of shoujo, for example, treats marriage as the final step, and the story usually ends there. The rest is history for them, I suppose.

Risara said:

I imagine they also haven't experience being a ninja or shinigami...

CookingPriest said:

IT is especially prevalent when talking about Yuri - you will NEVER see a lesbian couple marry because NEETs and majority of japan's society prefers to view lgbt relationships as "experimentation before growing up and birthing babies".

Is it even legal in Japan? But even so, the 'even if we can't get married' thing does happen a lot in yuri manga.
Nov 23, 2015 9:57 AM

Jul 2007
BatoKusanagi said:

CookingPriest said:

Is it even legal in Japan? But even so, the 'even if we can't get married' thing does happen a lot in yuri manga.

Marriage I think yes(even then the first official marriage happened this year). But the usual marriage laws that protect you from abuse and other things do not extend to LGBT couples(pretty much no laws extend to LGBT couples), also in some places being in LGBT relationship automatically bans you from donating blood, donating organs or adopting children.

Also prepare for serious bullying and harassment from both your neighbours, co-workers and friends, because lgbt people are viewed as some sort of lecherous predator to the old values and country-progress-oriented culture.
And if you are working in media or creative jobs, prepare to get fired on technicality and not getting a job ever again.

In short: if you are "gay" till adulthood, then you are just a "straight who experiments". IF you are gay and actually engage in longterm relationships, then you are simply something that does not exist to majority of society.

And in terms of entertainment and narrative fiction market, good luck selling or even getting to print anything "cute ambiguously gay schoolgirls experimenting in innocent relationship".

Yuri Kuma Arashi was pretty much metaphorical representation of Japan's view upon LGBT relationships, to the point that midway through Ikuhara had to pretend it has nothing to do with that, in order to avoid harassment from angry neets.

This is a good overview of the problems:
https://www.outrightinternational.org/content/un-urges-end-discrimination-against-lgbt-individuals-japan

“Japanese lesbians and transgender individuals have reported sexual harassment by male co-workers, which is directly linked to social norms about how women and men ‘should’ behave,”
“The discriminatory language of rape and sexual harassment laws, and the discriminatory implementation of the domestic violence law denies LBT people safety, access to redress, and remedies for the violence they experience,”

- Same sex couples in Japan are excluded from public housing.
- Japan’s Prevention of Spousal Violence law is applicable to unmarried heterosexual couples but courts are unwilling to apply it to same sex couples.
- Japanese gender recognition law mandates that transgender people who undergo sex reassignment surgery (SRS) and wish to marry must find new partners of the opposite sex and not remain with their partners prior to surgery.
- Male to female transgender individuals are required to be sterilized in order to apply for SRS, thus taking away their right to human dignity and bodily autonomy.

AhenshihaelNov 23, 2015 10:06 AM
Nov 23, 2015 9:58 AM
Mar 2012
I like how no one replied to the simple answered which are kind of true - it's boring.

Well maybe that's a bit too far, but married life is typically less interesting just by the very nature of spending a lot of time with the same person and the 'chase' being over for both sides.

Yes there are good stories in there, but as I seem to have to point out in every fucking topic this isn't something exclusive to anime. Most romance books will be two single people after all, same with movies etc. etc. People in general want to see new love for the most part, because that is the exciting, most passionate part of any relationship - it's also the most unstable so easiest to make drama in.
Nov 23, 2015 10:08 AM

Sep 2015
Most demographic of anime are targeted towards young people. No matter how you look at it, marriage is a heavy subject. If you ever wanted to see marriage, it's probably likely shown in Josei manga/anime.

Besides, in real life not all couples get married just because they are madly in love.
Nov 23, 2015 11:18 AM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
CookingPriest said:
Marriage I think yes(even then the first official marriage happened this year).

I see, if it's a fairly recent thing, it is not that surprising if you don't see it much; that's what I was trying to say. I am aware of how conservative Japanese society is, I was making no defense of it. Still. there were some things I didn't know there.
Nov 23, 2015 11:28 AM

May 2014
Marriage manga the best. Fu-Fu and Legally married Yuri couple by Itou Hachi best mango.
Nov 23, 2015 11:44 AM

Oct 2014
because anime and manga being in a setting outside of a school with teenagers is forbideen
Nov 23, 2015 11:46 AM

Oct 2008
But,but Futari Ecchi! It taught us that if all of a sudden you cant get a erection you might as well divorce your wife...
Nov 23, 2015 12:05 PM

Jul 2007
BatoKusanagi said:
CookingPriest said:
Marriage I think yes(even then the first official marriage happened this year).

I see, if it's a fairly recent thing, it is not that surprising if you don't see it much; that's what I was trying to say. I am aware of how conservative Japanese society is, I was making no defense of it. Still. there were some things I didn't know there.

Anime covers a lot of topics that are forbidden.
Yet incest is more acceptable to otaku as a subject than married people, capable women or gays.
Nov 23, 2015 12:07 PM

Dec 2014
coffee-choco said:
married life is boring
Nov 23, 2015 12:09 PM

Jun 2008
Who the fuck wants to get married?

Jesus, talk about a death sentence for men.

CookingPriest said:
Yet incest is more acceptable to otaku as a subject than married people, capable women or gays.

Oh god...oh noes...please stop right there....
Nov 23, 2015 12:21 PM

Oct 2008
Nagirah said:
JustALEX said:

Death sentence... yes, that is a very accurate word for marriage.

Don't forget your oh so original matching shirt

Nov 23, 2015 12:30 PM
Mar 2015
In bakuman one of the MC gets married and it shows some of their problems as couple. Well the anime doesn't focus in this but it's something
Nov 23, 2015 1:10 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
CookingPriest said:

There's some truth to that, but considering that there, for example, doujin of anime I assume you'd say are 'otaku anime' with the, say, yuri content fans would like the show to have; so at least to some of this otaku not are fine gay, but would like their fav anime to have more.
And it's not like all fans are what you'd call and otaku, so not the entire industry is controlled by what they consider acceptable. So, perhaps a big part of it is
mecharobot said:
Is there some specific reason why it needs to? Being "unexplored" is not good enough of a reason. There aren't too many anime wildlife documentaries, but what "void" would you be filling like that?

simple lack of interest. The same way that I can't imagine an anime adaptation of Planet Earth being very successful.

WrongPriest said:
Marriage manga the best. Fu-Fu and Legally married Yuri couple by Itou Hachi best mango.

QFT.
Nov 24, 2015 7:08 AM
Sep 2015
mayukachan said:
teens can't self insert into MC

as if teens are the only people watching anime
well people like me doesn't insert my self into the MC
I watch it for the story and animation, even if it is not good
because i wanna pass time or be entertained
and i believe majority of people are like that too

though majority who watch are teens
JustALEX said:

CookingPriest said:

Oh god...oh noes...please stop right there....

I know but we ain't talking about real life here
why when you watch a harem does that mean
the anime is encouraging you to get one (maybe yes) but you can't achieve it

it just a fictional story to entertain people
coz we all know that real life is a hell and not a fantasy

shoujo, shounen makes unrealistic boyfriend and girlfriend standards, too good to be true,
a romance like a fairy tale...
i believe the same can be done on married life
it doesn't have to be realistic to entertain us
in fact reality is boring!
Nov 24, 2015 7:53 AM
Sep 2015
HikiMaru39 said:
Most demographic of anime are targeted towards young people. No matter how you look at it, marriage is a heavy subject. If you ever wanted to see marriage, it's probably likely shown in Josei manga/anime.

Besides, in real life not all couples get married just because they are madly in love.

i'm quite bias i prefer seinen than josei.

Heavy subject in what way? are you Japanese to know this? I reckon it has something to do with responsibility and their low birth rates.

CookingPriest said:
It has to do with NEET expectations. NEETs love "untouched" characters and marriage would be weird for them and actually showing be it strong romantic actions or sexual situations can cause a huge outrage (think "Omg muh waifu got defiled! She a slut now!").

Thus most of romances are set in highschool and you will never see an actual progress. Even in MAL, if you have any sort of sexual scene or implication, you will see posters slut-shaming the characters involved or be disappointed that relationship is not more "innocent".

NEET are still a minority even during pre 2010, and now it is already declining.
majority of Japanese people are hard working.
problems like is not exclusive to Japan, Japan is just particular about this because they are a hard working country. it is true there are many unemployed people it will hurt the countries economy

Same sex marriage anime is not everyone, like hetero marriage is not for everyone. so if the bigot fans pls stop forcing it on us that just want to see heterosexual marriage.

I don't care about the way people treat each other in Japan that's their problem and i don't want to hear more depressing news.

I don't know why all this CRAZE about lesbians! i'm tired of hearing an seeing YURI! when i hear a discussion about same sex marriage is always with the lesbians, people are always concern about lesbians as if gay men doesn't deserve to be happy.
probably why Japanese men doesn't want to marry because all of their women had gone lesbo or bisexual! why only lesbians? are they the only group that deserves a decent anime. most people here are bigots they like yuri but hate yaoi
Nov 24, 2015 10:33 AM

May 2012
jucheck said:
i'm quite bias i prefer seinen than josei.

Heavy subject in what way?

Watch Otona Joshi no Anime Time, especially episodes 1, 2, and 4. Yes, it's josei, and yes, you should watch it if you need to ask why marriage can be a "heavy subject."
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » do you consider hate on your favorites an attack on you personally?

deg - 2 hours ago

7 by Zakception »»
52 seconds ago

» Does being an anime fan make you proud or embarassed?

BuddhaIsBetter - 4 hours ago

16 by deg »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » So, is anime male or female?

Tirinchas - Yesterday

20 by Spunkert »»
3 minutes ago

» Favorite Spring 2024 OP/ED?

Serafos - Apr 15

16 by Vaturna »»
6 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

163 by Jackson1333 »»
7 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.