Forum Settings
Forums

Polygon Pictures Nears Completion of 'Ajin' TV Anime

New
Nov 23, 2015 1:00 AM

Jul 2009
In a feature article by the Mainichi Shimbun on Monday, digital animation studio Polygon Pictures revealed that it has completed production on ten episodes of the Ajin TV anime. The 13-episode series will begin airing on January 16, 2016, and the tenth episode is not scheduled to air until March.

Managing Director Hideki Moriya attributes the studio's production speed to efficient process management. "Frankly speaking, our creation process is similar to that of the manufacturing industry. I think the difference is that other anime companies are more similar to artisans."

Desktop PCs are lined up at the offices of Polygon Pictures in a manner similar to game production company. Its staff does not work on weekends, and overtime work is not done. In an example of its efficiency-oriented process, vacant PC stations are used to render videos overnight.

Polygon Pictures was founded in 1983 and has worked on Emmy Award-winning U.S. productions such as Transformers Prime and Star Wars: The Clone Wars. "American companies work on a tight schedule, and any delay in product delivery can result in fines," said Moriya. It is said that the studio has never made a late delivery.

The studio is also one of the most experienced in producing "cel look" 3D animation. This approach is most often used in the works with a science fiction setting, and many believe it is not suitable for dramas because it cannot reproduce complex human facial expressions. Ajin supervising director Hiroyuki Seshita is attempting to challenge this belief.

Seshita, who worked as an art director in Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within, admits 3D animation has its strengths and weaknesses. He believes the key to a successful production is to "make [3D animation] not feel out of place, thus allowing the viewer to focus on the story."

Source: Mantan Web
mta_pnFeb 17, 2022 6:29 PM
On Moderating: Building a more complete anime database.
Spica: Anime, manga, idols.
Nov 23, 2015 1:21 AM

Jan 2013
So they pride themselves on being fast and efficient. That's fine and all but at what cost...
It's funny how the best looking CG anime of all time is now almost 10 years old and the industry doesn't seem to be able to ever get on that level of quality.
FFVII Avent Children might not have that great a story but hell damn if it doesn't look bloody amazing.
Nov 23, 2015 1:25 AM

Mar 2013
I always looking forward to anime's from the Horror/Mystery genres,
dont know much about the series since i didnt read the manga but
i hope it will be good.
Nov 23, 2015 1:35 AM

Feb 2015
arsonal said:
Managing Director Hideki Moriya attributes the studio's production speed to efficient process management. "Frankly speaking, our creation process is similar to that of the manufacturing industry. I think the difference is that other anime companies are more similar to artisans."

Desktop PCs are lined up at the offices of Polygon Pictures in a manner similar to game production company. Its staff does not work on weekends, and overtime work is not done. In an example of its efficiency-oriented process, vacant PC stations are used to render videos overnight.

Man, I'd love to read an in-depth article on their production process. I wonder why other studios won't do the same...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 23, 2015 1:35 AM

Aug 2014
I dont really know about Polygon Pictures, all i know, they produced Sidonia no Kishi.
Because of it, i dont really give this anime a high expectations.
But i hope it will exceed it.
Nov 23, 2015 1:43 AM

Jan 2009
well they are doing 3DCG anyway, 3D animation is getting faster to produce and cheaper each year

its only a matter of time when the anime industry fully embrace 3DCG, because of the benefits like this
Nov 23, 2015 1:55 AM

Feb 2011
TheNaturalPerm said:
So they pride themselves on being fast and efficient. That's fine and all but at what cost...
It's funny how the best looking CG anime of all time is now almost 10 years old and the industry doesn't seem to be able to ever get on that level of quality.
FFVII Avent Children might not have that great a story but hell damn if it doesn't look bloody amazing.
This. I saw a few bits of Advent Children long time back and was impressed by it, but the stuff from Polygon just looks like crap to me. They're saying the 3D animation shouldn't feel out of place, yet it always does.
Nov 23, 2015 2:01 AM

Jul 2015
i hated sidonia,not for the cgi,the plot was not interesting enough.
but this one looks pretty good so i am going to watch it.
Nov 23, 2015 2:12 AM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Interesting information about the studio. It didn't take me too long to get used to their "cel-look" 3DCG, I think it worked well with Sidonia no Kishi and Sanzoku no Musume Ronja. Their Disney Tsum Tsum was very nice to look at too, although that wasn't cel-like. I think the problem was more that their stuff looked "low frame rate," I'm not entirely sure on this topic but that's what people said with Sidonia no Kishi and I'm seeing this in the Ajin trailers as well. The movements don't look as smooth as I think they should look.

But it's nice that to see that they're challenging the belief that 3DCG is cannot reproduce human expressions as well as 2D, because I agree with that belief for the most part. Not saying I didn't enjoy Sidonia or Sanzoku, but it's true that the expressions were on the stiff side. If they went with normal 3DCG like FFVII or Captain Harlock (movie) then they wouldn't need to refute the expression comment, because expressions in those two movies were pretty on point (well maybe still a tad stiff compared to 2D stuff).
Nov 23, 2015 2:18 AM

Jul 2014
3DCG is nice (I prefer 2D though).
Nov 23, 2015 2:36 AM

Jun 2015
They have already made 10 ep...and I'm here waiting to start airing.
Nov 23, 2015 2:51 AM

Nov 2011
fast and efficient

in exchange

HERE

HAVE SOME CGI RUNNING AT 8 FPS
Nov 23, 2015 3:13 AM

Oct 2013
Just realized its fkn Polygon Pictures. Well there goes my excitement. The CG 3D shit needs to fuck off real quick but I'm betting its the new thing and soon a ton of anime is gonna be CG and the rarity would be hand drawn stuff.

Dunno why this shit is getting poular when it looks ugly as fuck. Gantz 3d CGI movie and that pissed me off.

Anime & CG just don't mix.
My Manga List
My Anime List
Shabada shabadabadaba
I am DjG545 aka Dj Fo Fo aka The Mutha Fkn Name I'm Usin Now
Nov 23, 2015 3:52 AM
Dec 2011
tingy said:
Interesting information about the studio. It didn't take me too long to get used to their "cel-look" 3DCG, I think it worked well with Sidonia no Kishi and Sanzoku no Musume Ronja. Their Disney Tsum Tsum was very nice to look at too, although that wasn't cel-like. I think the problem was more that their stuff looked "low frame rate," I'm not entirely sure on this topic but that's what people said with Sidonia no Kishi and I'm seeing this in the Ajin trailers as well. The movements don't look as smooth as I think they should look.

But it's nice that to see that they're challenging the belief that 3DCG is cannot reproduce human expressions as well as 2D, because I agree with that belief for the most part. Not saying I didn't enjoy Sidonia or Sanzoku, but it's true that the expressions were on the stiff side. If they went with normal 3DCG like FFVII or Captain Harlock (movie) then they wouldn't need to refute the expression comment, because expressions in those two movies were pretty on point (well maybe still a tad stiff compared to 2D stuff).

Their non-anime works always have well enough frame(like Tron: Uprising), so i assume it's budget issue.

http://www.ppi.co.jp/works/
(i know you should know what PPI worked before, the link just for people that don't know much about PPI)
Nov 23, 2015 4:00 AM

Nov 2011
Well this is interesting. I'm also kinda curious to see if there will be slight changes between the movie and TV adaptations in terms of the quality.
Nov 23, 2015 4:06 AM

Feb 2014
This can only be a good sign for the anime. Also means that we could get another season of Sidonia fairly soon, hopefully.
Nov 23, 2015 4:10 AM
May 2015
I hate it when i read a manga and just a week after, the anime get announced, fxck fxck.

TheNaturalPerm said:

Wow it sure looks great !
leasedebNov 23, 2015 4:29 AM
Nov 23, 2015 4:12 AM

Mar 2011
j0x said:
well they are doing 3DCG anyway, 3D animation is getting faster to produce and cheaper each year

its only a matter of time when the anime industry fully embrace 3DCG, because of the benefits like this

3DCG is cheaper but most of the time is not profitable.
Nov 23, 2015 5:09 AM

Apr 2015
good good.. it's rare to see anime studios say stuff like this.
Nov 23, 2015 5:42 AM

Aug 2015
oh
Nov 23, 2015 6:17 AM

Mar 2014
The first movie airs this week, of course they already have to have most work done on the TV series, it's going to be the same as the movies.

Ajin doesn't particularly look that great so this "look at how fast we are" comes off as a bit silly because you still don't have a product that can match normal 2D anime, but I guess that's up to each one.
And while The Spirits Within looks pretty nice it's really not anime and requires a huge budget, it's not something TV series will ever really manage to do.
Nov 23, 2015 7:19 AM
Dec 2011
Paulo27 said:
The first movie airs this week, of course they already have to have most work done on the TV series, it's going to be the same as the movies.

Ajin doesn't particularly look that great so this "look at how fast we are" comes off as a bit silly because you still don't have a product that can match normal 2D anime, but I guess that's up to each one.
And while The Spirits Within looks pretty nice it's really not anime and requires a huge budget, it's not something TV series will ever really manage to do.

They also already done Sidonia's production before it start airing.
The main point isn't "look at how fast we are", is "we don't need to treat our employees like shit" unlike most other studios(even it's not like they want to do that).
D-JoeNov 23, 2015 9:22 AM
Nov 23, 2015 7:51 AM

Sep 2013
Meh, I could probably finance a cg film myself, that's how cheap they are.
Nov 23, 2015 8:52 AM

Nov 2011
eXtacy67 said:
This can only be a good sign for the anime. Also means that we could get another season of Sidonia fairly soon, hopefully.

I've put sidonia manga on hold because the hope for another season never dies
I'll try watching Ajin eventhough I think the "normal boy becomes hybrid" theme got a little overused lately.

I think I actually prefer the entire thing in CG over mixing 2D with CG. It always feels strange when the scenery in normal and then there's some mecha/monster/whatever in CG.
Baby, daijobanai...
Nov 23, 2015 11:21 AM

May 2010
j0x said:

It has finally come to this. I wonder hoe long will it stand?
Nov 23, 2015 12:19 PM

Apr 2014
No ty.
Nov 23, 2015 1:06 PM

Sep 2011
I was excited about this till I saw that it was CGI. I refuse to support full CG anime. Western animation has already been killed off by CGI. I don't mind if it's used on backgrounds, vehicles and occasional movement but fully CG models are disgusting.
Nov 23, 2015 1:19 PM

Aug 2013
Fullmetal89 said:
I was excited about this till I saw that it was CGI. I refuse to support full CG anime. Western animation has already been killed off by CGI. I don't mind if it's used on backgrounds, vehicles and occasional movement but fully CG models are disgusting.

Yeah, hopefully this never becomes common in the anime industry. 2D animation has a certain beauty to it that CG can never have. I can deal with the occasional CG anime, or some CG used for vehicles and such. I just hope anime never becomes fully CG the way the animated movie industry has become in America.
Nov 23, 2015 1:56 PM
Aug 2012
SchwingBoner said:
arsonal said:

Man, I'd love to read an in-depth article on their production process. I wonder why other studios won't do the same...

There's no computer that can magically produce hand drawn animation. By its nature, 3DCG is far less labor intensive (rendering doesn't require any hands, nor is there any in-betweening or requirement to manually correct people's drawings to match a target model; you just wait until everything has been processed), so the comparison is dubious at best. It's almost like bragging about the perfection, quick learning (no time at all vs years for a human), and total cooperativeness of CG characters vs human actors.

At any rate, he's outlined an important difference in philosophy. One is more of a mechanical, manufacturing-like process, while the other emphasizes personal artistry and skills development.
Nov 23, 2015 2:30 PM

Mar 2013
This studio is a joke , sure I guess you could consider them smart for capitalizing off the ease of producing poorly made cg works but overall the quality of their work is subpar compared to what most other studios have done in the past and are currently doing. I personally see them as one of the worst anime studios around right now.

I'd like to hope that wont get their hands on too many other manga to adapt but seeing how things are now I wouldn't be surprised if they do.
Nov 23, 2015 3:47 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
D-Joe said:
tingy said:

Their non-anime works always have well enough frame(like Tron: Uprising), so i assume it's budget issue.

http://www.ppi.co.jp/works/
(i know you should know what PPI worked before, the link just for people that don't know much about PPI)

Oh yeah, it's definitely a budget issue. After all, Toei did spend a fortune to make Captain Harlock as good as it looked. And no I didn't know everything they've worked on, so thanks for the link :) I guess I shouldn't have been surprised that they worked on Oblivion Island, that was a movie that I thought was on the level of Pixar stuff.

horitsubastudent said:

I'll try watching Ajin eventhough I think the "normal boy becomes hybrid" theme got a little overused lately.

True, but the main character in Ajin, Nagai Kei, is not really your normal protagonist for this type of genre, imo. So that at least might be interesting for you to watch.
Nov 23, 2015 8:35 PM
Dec 2014
Huh is this going to be a 3D anime ? ( I hope not that suck for me big time I hate 3D)
Nov 23, 2015 9:20 PM

Feb 2014
Man the hate for 3D is just unbelievable. Anyone who has seen Sidonia, their most recent work, can tell you their animation is good.
Nov 23, 2015 11:40 PM
May 2012
Sucks that it's 3DCG.
Nov 24, 2015 2:10 AM

Jul 2014
So they proudly exclaim they're an assembly-line.

I fail to see what good PR they were hoping to get with that. Fuck the fast food mentality creeping into art and entertainment.
Nov 24, 2015 3:57 AM

Mar 2014
D-Joe said:
Paulo27 said:

They also already done Sidonia's production before it start airing.
The main point isn't "look at how fast we are", is "we don't need to treat our employees like shit" unlike most other studios(even it's not like they want to do that).
Yes, because that's what finishing earlier implies, that they treat their employees well, if anything this just shows how CG is easy to make and they should start spend more time trying to improve it.
Nov 24, 2015 5:05 AM

Feb 2014
Red_Tuesday said:
So they proudly exclaim they're an assembly-line.

I fail to see what good PR they were hoping to get with that. Fuck the fast food mentality creeping into art and entertainment.

The fact they don't work weekends or over-time is a good thing given a lot of studios extremely poor reputation of almost slave labor like conditions. Its a good thing they don't have production issues. I fail to see how this is bad PR
Nov 24, 2015 5:56 AM

Jul 2007
lots of trashy misinformed masses and CGI hate in this thread... Holy shit. I really wish people would educate themselves before posting.

Paulo27 said:
Yes, because that's what finishing earlier implies, that they treat their employees well, if anything this just shows how CG is easy to make and they should start spend more time trying to improve it.

Again, this crap.
NO, CGI is NOT easier to make.

It just shows a different approach towards production - most of western studios finish work on at least half a season before the start of airing(followed by 2-4 month hiatus to finish second half), while it is very common in japanese industry to start working on episode a week or two before it AIRS. Employees have to work overtime with no extra pay, sometimes the production stops literally half a day before airing. Most of japanese studios are literal slave labor.
And when the company is no longer capable of overworking their staff, God Eater fiasco happens.

That's the point of article - they have a preset time when the work is done. No over-time, no working over the weekends, no rushed schedules to work on it as its airing.

Also
Yerld said:

There's no computer that can magically produce hand drawn animation.

This is bullshit, considering majority of anime is NOT hand-drawn. A storyboard and preliminary designs are usually hand drawn, while everything afterwards is done via computers, via cgi-assisted animation and automatic coloring processes. And then everything in between is outsourced to random chinese/korean office where the same process is done for inter-frames, but at way lower quality of work.
Japan has been using it as early as princess mononoke.

eXtacy67 said:
Man the hate for 3D is just unbelievable. Anyone who has seen Sidonia, their most recent work, can tell you their animation is good.

B-B-But its bad because its 3d!
No, seriously, both Sidonia and Arpeggio of Blue Steel proved that there's nothing wrong with using 3d cgi to make anime, except for kneejerk reactions of a few kids who are too attached to certain stereotypes,

People just fail to realize that Sidonia would look EXACTLY like that even if it was the stereotypical traditional animation. After all, there's barely a difference between Arpeggio and traditional animation( I still remember the lulz on how the same people who were liking the animation in it, started trashing it when they learned its all cgi)
AhenshihaelNov 24, 2015 6:12 AM
Nov 24, 2015 6:31 AM

Mar 2014
eXtacy67 said:
The fact they don't work weekends or over-time is a good thing given a lot of studios extremely poor reputation of almost slave labor like conditions. Its a good thing they don't have production issues. I fail to see how this is bad PR
That wasn't the point, how is calling your work "assembly-line" work a good thing? Have you seen how an assembly-line works? Do you think that's a good thing for anime?
They even say belong in the "manufacturing industry" section of anime production and the other studios are "artisans", can't see how this would ever be a good thing.

CookingPriest said:
Again, this crap.
NO, CGI is NOT easier to make.

It just shows a different approach towards production - most of western studios finish work on at least half a season before the start of airing(followed by 2-4 month hiatus to finish second half), while it is very common in japanese industry to start working on episode a week or two before it AIRS. Employees have to work overtime with no extra pay, sometimes the production stops literally half a day before airing. Most of japanese studios are literal slave labor.
And when the company is no longer capable of overworking their staff, God Eater fiasco happens.

That's the point of article - they have a preset time when the work is done. No over-time, no working over the weekends, no rushed schedules to work on it as its airing.
The difference here is that they produce less, Japanese studios doesn't rush because they feel like it, they rush because they have more work, finishing a week or a year before airing doesn't affect how rushed it was, if Japanese studios felt like they could also have no overtime and no weekend work and still finish one week before airing and that wouldn't mean they were rushed.
There's no "different approach", they just don't have as much work so they take it easy, give a Japanese studio a show a year and you won't see them running to finish the episode the day before it airs.
Nov 27, 2015 8:42 PM
Dec 2014
CookingPriest said:
lots of trashy misinformed masses and CGI hate in this thread... Holy shit. I really wish people would educate themselves before posting.
Ew on this Post your comment is very disgusting, CG as an Idea is dumb for anime what makes anime so Lovely is the ACTUAL 2D ART not 3D and if all anime studio start to do this I would drop the this Hobby all together
( don't care how good the CGI is its cancer that Needs to die 1000,00000000000000000000 times over its gross and I hate it )

More topics from this board

» 'Black★★Rock Shooter: Dawn Fall' Reveals Additional Cast, First Promo

DatRandomDude - Feb 11, 2022

11 by nisafitri »»
3 hours ago

» Original Anime Movie 'A New Dawn' Announced for 2025

DatRandomDude - Apr 23

5 by dimidrum »»
Yesterday, 3:41 PM

» 'Mahoutsukai no Yakusoku' Announces Production Staff, Cast

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

4 by Memore »»
Yesterday, 1:40 PM

» 'Maougun Saikyou no Majutsushi wa Ningen datta' Announces Supporting Cast

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

0 by Hyperion_PS »»
Yesterday, 12:19 PM

» 'Suki demo Kirai na Amanojaku' Reveals Additional Cast, Trailer

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

1 by RobertBobert »»
Yesterday, 11:45 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.