Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]
Dec 17, 2015 6:38 PM

Oct 2015
Crazy_Cofee_Cat said:
Did you mean this?

I just changed default to Most Hepful (All Times) without a problem.

Yeah, but that setting stays valid only for the currently valid "MAL session"

As soon as you close/ restart your browser/ "MAL session" it is back to the new "default" : helpful/ weighted. aka: last submitted :blergh:

Leave alone that for any anime's "main page", the 4 reviews to be displayed will ALWAYS be "helpful/ weighted aka last submitted"

This is not only horrible / outright appalling in not respecting user's choice; it is also really wasteful.
Not only now I always have to go to the "reviews" page" (another some MB to be sent, and other information getting out of view), every time I go to "reviews", I have to bloody set it to "all times" YET AGAIN (well, once per "session", actually, so not "everytime" - hooray!) - but it will ALWAYS force me to call the extra-page for "reviews", where before I often was satisfied with the 4 "top-reviews" ("helpful/all-time") on an anime's "main page - no, it also means MAL has to send yet another so-many MB newly-sorted-together-page to me.
But, MAL seems to love the idea to send as-many-MB-as-possible on any possible occasion anyways ...

Subpyro said:

The system memorizes your last sorting style and sets it on default for future use automatically.

You sure ? What browser ? How ?

Because here it DOES NOT!
BannoBunka_snorkDec 17, 2015 6:44 PM
*darn, using my right hand is off-limits for a while. Typing with my left hand only is ... eww.*
Dec 21, 2015 6:19 AM

Jun 2013
One punch man is a prime example on how flawed this review system is.

In top 4 reviews, the first top review is a poorly written 4/10 one while the other three are all "muh opm 10/10" ones.

Are all popular anime review section from now on going to be like this??

Please bring back the "not helpful" or a downvoting option, the review sections are chaotic.
Imagine a berserk anime by Yoshiaki kawajiri at Madhouse.

Now take a look at Berserk (2016).

YOU HAVE MY PERMISSION TO CRY.
Dec 21, 2015 8:53 PM

Nov 2014
eromangasensei said:
One punch man is a prime example on how flawed this review system is.

In top 4 reviews, the first top review is a poorly written 4/10 one while the other three are all "muh opm 10/10" ones.

Are all popular anime review section from now on going to be like this??

Please bring back the "not helpful" or a downvoting option, the review sections are chaotic.

Prime example of why these people don't need to be able to write reviews you mean.
How to fix the review section, detailed here

The average reader (HS level) reads at about 200 WPM. So a 500-800 word review should take 3-5 minutes to read. That's an acceptable length for something you're interested in spending 25 minutes to 4.5 hours of your life watching.

Oh, and ANN requires any and all reviews to be 800-1200 words, no matter the length of the show.
Dec 22, 2015 5:54 AM

Feb 2011
lawlmartz said:
Prime example of why these people don't need to be able to write reviews you mean.

that's an other way to go around it, how would you define the requirements to be able to send a review?

Fixes to make the Profile more bearable after "the Modern★Profile★Update★★Rip★Profile★"
Dec 22, 2015 6:32 AM

Nov 2014
Zeando said:
lawlmartz said:

that's an other way to go around it, how would you define the requirements to be able to send a review?

Click the link in my signature.
But read this first http://myanimelist.net/reviews.php?id=206373

Can't say i really care about reviews anymore. I'm pretty done with this site now.
How to fix the review section, detailed here

The average reader (HS level) reads at about 200 WPM. So a 500-800 word review should take 3-5 minutes to read. That's an acceptable length for something you're interested in spending 25 minutes to 4.5 hours of your life watching.

Oh, and ANN requires any and all reviews to be 800-1200 words, no matter the length of the show.
Dec 27, 2015 5:16 AM

Jun 2014
that's it, I'm tired of seeing retarded reviews, another thing that I have to block on this website, jeez, how about adding the option to remove or add modules like deviant art, since there sure is a lot of stuff that needs to disappear from this website

this website is going downhill fast, and I haven't even been a member for that long
alpha_shadowDec 27, 2015 5:23 AM
:3
Dec 29, 2015 2:59 AM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
Review Sorting Update
We have updated our review sorting method for the Most Helpful (Weighted) option (which is the default displayed on DB front pages). Earlier, we were dividing all series by their days posted, which resulted in heavy bias towards recent reviews. We have now updated it to a function which decays over a certain time period, rather than a full division by time.

As an example, see Shinsekai yori:
  1. 467 helpfuls | Feb 22, 2014
  2. 502 helpfuls | Jul 3, 2013
  3. 204 helpfuls | Jun 1, 2015
  4. 212 helpfuls | Jan 8, 2015

Please let us know if you encounter any problems with the new sorting method (with examples).
Dec 29, 2015 5:01 AM
Jun 2015
Kineta said:
Review Sorting Update
We have updated our review sorting method for the Most Helpful (Weighted) option (which is the default displayed on DB front pages). Earlier, we were dividing all series by their days posted, which resulted in heavy bias towards recent reviews. We have now updated it to a function which decays over a certain time period, rather than a full division by time.

As an example, see Shinsekai yori:
  1. 467 helpfuls | Feb 22, 2014
  2. 502 helpfuls | Jul 3, 2013
  3. 204 helpfuls | Jun 1, 2015
  4. 212 helpfuls | Jan 8, 2015

Please let us know if you encounter any problems with the new sorting method (with examples).

For some reason "Most Recent" turns up the same result as the "Most Helpful (Weighted)" (checked this in both Firefox and Chrome) on some shows:

Other shows are unaffected:

Edit: As of now, whatever was wrong with TTGL's sorting seems to have been fixed, FMAB's is still a problem though.

Edit: Uh, now FLCL's Most Helpful (Weighted) on the Reviews page turns up the same results as Most Recent:

Edit: Shinsekai Yori has the same problem as FLCL.

Edit: Whatever was wrong with FMA:B's sorting seems fixed, but TTGL's is back.

Edit: And now FMA:B has a different problem:

Also, the sorting by button doesn't show up for me anymore in Chrome although that could be just me.
FurirunDec 29, 2015 8:25 AM
Dec 29, 2015 5:48 AM

Dec 2014
Although this change helps to aliviate the afore mentioned issues, it really makes it basically the same as the reviewing system was before the recent changes. We have the most helpful reviews on top again, whereas newer ones won't have any chance to get noticed once again, making it pretty pointless to even write a review for older series.
NervinDec 29, 2015 5:51 AM
Dec 29, 2015 5:58 AM

Feb 2015
I was going to write a review for Valkyrie Drive: Mermaid, then I remembered that I'd missed the deadline by 12 hours, so I didn't bother. It can be fun to cheat the system and get your review featured, but there's no satisfaction to be had outside of making it to a permanent position on the featured reviews, and no possibility of getting any feedback on the quality of your review if you've posted it more than ~12 hours after the series finished airing.
Now you're wondering if there's white text in any of my other posts.

Over there, I'm everywhere. I know that.
Dec 29, 2015 9:54 AM

Jun 2010
Is BBcode enable again or am I just seeing things?

Oh... nevermind. It's HTML.
Guess someone "forgot" to mention it in one of these past updates, huh?
Interesting to know.
xbobxDec 29, 2015 10:04 AM
Dec 29, 2015 10:41 AM

Dec 2011
A 28 day old 11 helpful review is below a 148 day old 12 helpful review huh? I wonder how exactly this works...
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Dec 29, 2015 11:29 AM

Jun 2013
Just add a goddamn downvoting option, seriously.

I'm tired of all these so called reviews which gets most helpfuls because they reflect the popular opinion on this site & not because they actually talk about the show's good & bad points in it.
Imagine a berserk anime by Yoshiaki kawajiri at Madhouse.

Now take a look at Berserk (2016).

YOU HAVE MY PERMISSION TO CRY.
Dec 29, 2015 11:31 PM

Dec 2014
I have been skimming through numerous anime/manga entries, and I have yet to see any with a recent review entry on its "detail" page. How does this new algorithm even work? I only see the same as before, most helpfuls ones on top; the system essentially reverted to the older one.

I am now wondering what MAL's intention is: back before the changes in August it encouraged users(both popular and newer reviewers) to make well written reviews. Then it proceeds to discourage the unpopular ones to even write for older series, seeing there was no way to get spotlighted, and that for over a quarter of a year; just a month ago the aforementioned ones get chance to get spotlighted, even if it is only for a few weeks, time depending on the series. And now it is basically reverted back to the old system? It feels like reviewers are getting the door opened and then slammed in their faces each time new changes roll out. Is it MAL's intention to encourage, basically "force" people to only write for current and future airing shows? That would be very sad indeed. Yes, there are sorting options now, but let's be honest: most users won't look further than the details page.

And if I recall correctly, wasn't the whole point of recent reviews getting a high bias to get spotlighted? This change was after all a measure to counter the removal of the "not helpful" option, letting newer ones have chance, albeit very small, to climb to the top. As far as I can tell, I got much more feedback on my reviews in this one month period than I did in that three month frame. I love to write, yet this makes me once again very discouraged to continue doing it.

With that being said, it just comes to what other users stated before in this and the other thread: quality should be the goal, as with this there would be much less of a fuss in the reviewing section.
Dec 30, 2015 3:21 PM

Feb 2011
the decay over time is a good idea, it just needs to get set properly
how much time you want a top review to stay on top? 3 months? so set it to bring down top reviews after 3 months from their creation; regardless of ratios, scores, formulas, etx, after 3 month they no longer show on the (weighted) list, that's it.

if only they had taken example from other sites managing reviews and using up/downvotes (steam, imgur) to make the reviews work better before coming to hasty conclusions and removing options while not improving...

TsundereHeart said:
Ideally there would just be the Helpful and Not Helpful and you could add that "show username" thing so that a group of volunteers could help wipe out up/downvote raids by trolls.
agree, plus the decay many asked for to give a chance to new reviews
plus many many other little things to have a system which really brings to the top the "most useful" reviews and not the "most popular and biased"

TsundereHeart said:
I have stopped really caring for reviews much so it doesn't really matter that much to me.
same to me, it's just funny to expose an idea when you happen to have one

Fixes to make the Profile more bearable after "the Modern★Profile★Update★★Rip★Profile★"
Jan 1, 2016 5:13 AM
Jan 2013
eromangasensei said:
Just add a goddamn downvoting option, seriously.

I'm tired of all these so called reviews which gets most helpfuls because they reflect the popular opinion on this site & not because they actually talk about the show's good & bad points in it.

I know right
"How am I supposed to face the problem when the problem is my face?" - W.Lui

"A real man forgives a woman for her lies." - Sanji

"First comes love, then comes marriage, then comes adults flying through a portal in the sky." - NettoSaito

"I'm not a newbie it's just that I only registered a few days ago." - A newbie
Jan 1, 2016 7:20 AM
Aug 2015
It's looking worse and worse. The old system is definitely way better. I missed the downvote. At least it well balanced.
Jan 4, 2016 6:41 AM

Nov 2015
I hope they will put the newest review first or half of first review and half of the best reviews, because I noticed that most of those top reviews were done while the anime is still on going or has just started so they did a review just after watching few episodes.

Also sorting option doesn't work well for me. I don't know why, I tried to use it many times to see the latest reviews but I still ended up seeing the old reviews.
For salty fans
Jan 10, 2016 5:52 AM

Jul 2009
No one is voting at the reviews, just look at them... such a shame.
It's deader than HB.
Jan 13, 2016 10:12 AM

Dec 2014
kanbarusan said:
The reviewing section is basically dead at the moment, a handful of helpfuls only on the reviews. I feel that it is necessary to give newer reviewers also a chance to climb to the top.

The sorting option doesn't work well either, where most recent and most helpful(wieghted) seem to sort as most helpful (all time).

This basically, the majority of the users don't even care for the reviewing section anymore, as opposed as it was only a little over half a year back.
Jan 13, 2016 10:37 AM

Feb 2008
Nervin said:
This basically, the majority of the users don't even care for the reviewing section anymore, as opposed as it was only a little over half a year back.

The only thing that's changed is that people view the 'recent reviews' page less and that there are somewhat fewer votes since people now need to actually read the review rather than click a button based on a knee-jerk reaction to the score. Reviews as a whole are doing just fine. The people who are passionate about reviews are still there, reading and writing and offering feedback. What we mainly lost are forum users who only had a passing interest in the review system, anyway.
Jan 13, 2016 11:02 AM

Dec 2014
Veronin said:
The only thing that's changed is that people view the 'recent reviews' page less and that there are somewhat fewer votes since people now need to actually read the review rather than click a button based on a knee-jerk reaction to the score. Reviews as a whole are doing just fine. The people who are passionate about reviews are still there, reading and writing and offering feedback. What we mainly lost are forum users who only had a passing interest in the review system, anyway.

True, however, the problem still stands that there is less motivation to write for older series, as the changes reverted it once again to basically "most helpful" on the front page of different anime/manga entries - and not all of them are the best reviews.
Jan 16, 2016 2:17 AM

May 2015
NOT WORKING.
NOT WORKING
NOT WORKING

Best Shitty Reviews
“Like is like a blank canvas you paint it with whatever you want (colors,blood,sweat,shit etc)”
Current Season rec : Layton Mystery Tanteisha: Katri no Nazotoki File
I am an anime OST Maniac and they play a huge role in my rating for a anime.
interested ?
click the GIF>>>>>
Jan 25, 2016 1:55 AM

Apr 2011
Veronin said:
Nervin said:

So remove the bloody score. The fuck is the point of that thing anyway?
Mar 9, 2016 11:22 AM

Dec 2012
Any ETA on the next phase of the review system re-design?
Mar 9, 2016 4:00 PM

Apr 2012
Blackouting said:
I spent a lot of time reading reviews, voting Helpful, Not Helpful or just not voting (eg maybe if it was well thought-out but I disagreed). Not sure I'll bother now.

Update: I've long stopped giving a shit about reviews.

I did notice a show that only had one review. Except it was for the wrong show. It had X number of helpful votes which was completely unhelpful.
Sep 14, 2016 4:10 PM

Jun 2010
Remember when this was still a thing?
Sep 14, 2016 5:16 PM

Sep 2012

But still a necro is a necro.
Sep 14, 2016 7:22 PM

Jun 2010
sasalx said:
But still a necro is a necro.

I fail to see the problem when the objective is to raise attention to a project clearly abandoned mid-way through by the administration.
Sep 18, 2016 5:57 AM

Apr 2012
Blackouting said:
Blackouting said:
I spent a lot of time reading reviews, voting Helpful, Not Helpful or just not voting (eg maybe if it was well thought-out but I disagreed). Not sure I'll bother now.

Update: I've long stopped giving a shit about reviews.

I did notice a show that only had one review. Except it was for the wrong show. It had X number of helpful votes which was completely unhelpful.

Update: haven't read a single review this whole time
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]

More topics from this board

» Heavenly Easter Delusion: Devil and Dolce ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Mar 27

3334 by Fujimatsu »»
9 minutes ago

» New Site Update: Peak Anime 🗻 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Mar 31

210 by Kye_xz »»
Yesterday, 4:02 AM

» [Challenge] You Should Read This Manga 2024 ( 1 2 3 4 )

Kineta - Feb 23

194 by Seruki123 »»
Apr 14, 9:54 AM

» MAL Game "Fantasy Anime League" Opens for Spring 2024 ( 1 2 3 )

Kineta - Mar 17

144 by The_real_maomao »»
Apr 9, 4:26 PM

» English Titles Added to Desktop; Moving Towards a Romanized/English Toggle ( 1 2 3 )

Kineta - Feb 12, 2020

121 by Vaturna »»
Apr 4, 5:31 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.