Forum Settings
Forums

Why don't people who constantly complain about how anime is going to shit just watch older anime?

New
Nov 21, 2015 6:54 PM

Nov 2011
If you have a problem with what's coming out today why don't you just try going backwards?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 21, 2015 6:55 PM

May 2014
Because they don't want to realize that on average older anime is shittier
Nov 21, 2015 6:56 PM

Jul 2012
Because they want something that looks appealing to their eyes
Nov 21, 2015 6:56 PM

Nov 2011
LittleGao said:
Its not though.
Nov 21, 2015 6:58 PM

Nov 2014
Because there is a limited amount of old anime that is good.

Nov 21, 2015 6:58 PM

Nov 2011
mayukachan said:
They should stay away from anything with clamp art.
Nov 21, 2015 6:59 PM

Jan 2010
It's far easier to complain. As in, it's easier to talk broadly, with questionable grounding, about how anime is getting worse than to take any action with regards to it.

Plus, it's difficult to really tell from where we're at in time. Maybe anime is truly getting worse, who knows. However, it could very well be a dip in quality, it could be stagnation, or it could be increased awareness of what anime is being released thanks to the internet. It's less an actual drop in quality that's the problem. It's the perceived drop as I can tell.

Nov 2011
ExTamplier said:
ExTamplier said:
Just like how their is a limited amount of new anime that is good. I don't see your point.

May 2012
Because it is not going to be better in anyway.
Nov 21, 2015 7:00 PM

Jun 2007
I did. I found City Hunter. I even cried tears of joy afterwards. Ya'll should try it.

Maison Ikkoku, Touch, Orange Road...
Nov 21, 2015 7:01 PM

Nov 2011
AironicallyHuman said:
I did. I found City Hunter. I even cried tears of joy afterwards. Ya'll should try it.
I remember when I first watched City Hunter. Damn it was a breath of fresh air!
Nov 21, 2015 7:02 PM

Nov 2011
VanishingKira said:
ExTamplier said:
let alone subbed
Most of the good stuff is subbed while the bad has been left alone save those b rated ovas.
Nov 21, 2015 7:02 PM

Nov 2014
What older anime would you recommend?
Nov 21, 2015 7:04 PM

Nov 2014
Waifu_Strangler said:
mayukachan said:
They should stay away from anything with clamp art.
Ever heard of a inflow and outflow?
If there is nothing good for the past season, means you deplete good shows that you left in reserve. There can be a moment when nothing good is left to watch.

Nov 21, 2015 7:05 PM

Nov 2014
aikaflip said:
Cowboy Bebop

Nov 21, 2015 7:06 PM

Jun 2007
If you're female and/or male, Maison Ikkoku: it has a mid-20's widowed, non-virgin heroine. Was created by a woman but is aimed at males with a male lead. It's also an amazing rom-com-drama.

If you're male, City Hunter. Episodic manly comedy, built about not-so-PC-anymore sexual harassment humour.

/sexist
Nov 21, 2015 7:07 PM

Nov 2011
aikaflip said:
Depends on your taste but I consider Ashita No Joe the magnum opus of the anime genre and if you like boxing and character drama I can't recommend it enough. Here's some other favorites.

Legend of the Galactic heroes - Strategic military/sci-fi
Touch - Sports/Slice of life
Maison Ikkoku - Romcom/slice of life
City Hunter-Comedy Action
Future Boy Conan - adventure(Miyazaki made this series before gaining fame with Studio Ghibli)
Rose of Versailles - Historical/drama
Nov 21, 2015 7:08 PM

Oct 2012
Cause mono audio tracks are cancer.
Nov 21, 2015 7:09 PM

Nov 2011
ExTamplier said:
aikaflip said:
Cowboy Bebop
That's really not very old and chances are he knows what it is.
Nov 21, 2015 7:12 PM

Nov 2014
Waifu_Strangler said:
ExTamplier said:
Cowboy Bebop
I checked his list before I told him. Also he asked for older anime.

Nov 21, 2015 7:13 PM

Nov 2015
because they're realistic people who understand that time is moving forward instead of backwards?
because they bored with old things?
because they want the same quality?
because they don't want anime to get ruined?
INTP (Ne)

A hound, begging for scraps at the emperor's table

Nov 21, 2015 7:16 PM
Nov 2015
Because old titles werent any better, its just that they did it first but modern anime is superior to retro by a large margin
Nov 21, 2015 7:18 PM

Jan 2012
Because people love to complain. Theres many people who constantly watch currently airing shows they don't enjoy, only to blog about how much they hate it or how awful the show they are watching is.

Though, i think some people genuinely don't know where to start with older anime and for some they just can't really get into it for whatever reason.

Apr 2014
both are shared same shit and good.

Mar 2012
They can't get over their perceived notions of dated art. Also, just because someone likes new anime doesn't mean they will like old. Just like many of us old anime fans don't like most of the newer stuff. Anime has changed.

There are people who really should give older anime a chance because I think they will like it and even in some cases love it.
Nov 21, 2015 7:19 PM

Jun 2014
Because anime fans who live outside Japan act entitled and get sad even though anime isn't even made for us.

You guys should feel lucky anime is subbed as often as it is.
Nov 21, 2015 7:19 PM

Nov 2011
Randoll_ said:
Because old titles werent any better, its just that they did it first but modern anime is superior to retro by a large margin
How many 70s and 80s anime have you watched?
Nov 21, 2015 7:20 PM
Nov 2015
Waifu_Strangler said:
Randoll_ said:

over 70
Nov 21, 2015 7:20 PM

Nov 2011
Apples2 said:
Because people love to complain. Theres many people who constantly watch currently airing shows they don't enjoy, only to blog about how much they hate it or how awful the show they are watching is.

Though, i think some people genuinely don't know where to start with older anime and for some they just can't really get into it for whatever reason.

This seems like the real answer tbh.
Nov 21, 2015 7:21 PM

Nov 2011
Randoll_ said:
Waifu_Strangler said:

over 70

According to your list you haven't even watched 70 anime.
Nov 21, 2015 7:22 PM

Sep 2015
Don't mind them too much OP, those people LOVE new anime, they're just tsundere-ing.
Nov 21, 2015 7:22 PM
Nov 2015
Waifu_Strangler said:
Randoll_ said:

over 70

According to your list you haven't even watched 70 anime.

i can pm you my hb and anidb profile
Nov 21, 2015 7:24 PM

Nov 2014
Waifu_Strangler said:
ExTamplier said:

Cowboy Bebop

I was curious about what you'd recommend to the people who are tired of modern anime. Personally, I'm not that tired of it yet.

I know of Cowboy Bebop, but I still haven't seen it yet. I just watch 5 minutes of the series to check the art style and quality. By modern standards, it looks good, and it's available in 720p, which is a plus.

I'll be honest with you. I've tried to start Ashita No Joe, Legend of the Galactic Heroes, and Rose of Versailles, but their art style really turned me off. They're too old, even for me. They're very rough looking.
Nov 21, 2015 7:24 PM
Nov 2015
aikaflip said:
Waifu_Strangler said:

I was curious about what you'd recommend to the people who are tired of modern anime. Personally, I'm not that tired of it yet.

I know of Cowboy Bebop, but I still haven't seen it yet. I just watch 5 minutes of the series to check the art style and quality. By modern standards, it looks good, and it's available in 720p, which is a plus.

I'll be honest with you. I've tried to start Ashita No Joe, Legend of the Galactic Heroes, and Rose of Versailles, but their art style really turned me off. They're too old, even for me. They're very rough looking.

try Tiger Mask
Nov 21, 2015 7:25 PM

Nov 2011
aikaflip said:
Waifu_Strangler said:

Rough is good. Shiny is bad.
Nov 21, 2015 7:26 PM

Nov 2011
Randoll_ said:
aikaflip said:

try Tiger Mask

Why would you rec him Tiger Mask? It's not even finished being subbed.
Nov 21, 2015 7:29 PM

Jun 2014
Waifu_Strangler said:
aikaflip said:

Rough isn't good nor is shiny.

Good is opinion and people may or may not enjoy a certain artstyle.

Why do fans of old anime obsess over what other anime folks watch? Its like you guys need people to watch the classics.
Nov 21, 2015 7:30 PM

Nov 2011
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Waifu_Strangler said:

Rough isn't good nor is shiny.

Good is opinion and people may or may not enjoy a certain artstyle.

Why do fans of old anime obsess over what other anime folks watch? Its like you guys need people to watch the classics.

Nov 21, 2015 7:31 PM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
Because they want "special attention".
Nov 21, 2015 7:34 PM

Jan 2010
aikaflip said:
Waifu_Strangler said:

They exist in a different time and place, and require a different state of mind to watch as a result. I feel that anime today are a lot easier to watch because, as you said, they're not as rough and they have more familiar styles, settings, characters, and general nuances. In part, it's a comfort zone issue, but forcing yourself is a gamble in of itself. It's really something you just have to be "in the mood" for.
Nov 21, 2015 7:35 PM

Nov 2014
Waifu_Strangler said:

God no. I like my art clean ala The Wings of Honneamise.

ExTamplier said:

I checked his list before I told him. Also he asked for older anime.

I appreciate you mentioning it. I might actually stop putting it off now. That intro was good.
Nov 21, 2015 7:37 PM

Jun 2015
Maybe they already did?
Nov 21, 2015 7:47 PM

Mar 2013
well, if you just keep watching old anime, then you'll realize that old anime is shit too, so you have to stop at some point.
Nov 21, 2015 8:11 PM

Nov 2014
Shocked said:
They exist in a different time and place, and require a different state of mind to watch as a result. I feel that anime today are a lot easier to watch because, as you said, they're not as rough and they have more familiar styles, settings, characters, and general nuances. In part, it's a comfort zone issue, but forcing yourself is a gamble in of itself. It's really something you just have to be "in the mood" for.

This is certainly true. I grew up on shiny Disney animation, and I'm bit of a neat freak in my professional life, so I tend to gravitate to art, movies, etc that satisfy these sensibilities.

Sleeping Beauty is a 50+ year old movie, and I can watch it without a problem despite not liking the story that much.

Ashita No Joe probably has a story that's 100x better than Sleeping Beauty's, but I can't even start it because it looks so... rough, like it was drawn with crayons on sheets of cardboard. I understand the problem of having these kinds of biases. Maybe one day I'll finally be in the mood to watch 70s anime.
Nov 21, 2015 8:34 PM

Jan 2011
Don't wanna damage those rose-tinted glasses.
Nov 21, 2015 9:55 PM

Jun 2015
Shocked said:
It's far easier to complain. As in, it's easier to talk broadly, with questionable grounding, about how anime is getting worse than to take any action with regards to it.

Plus, it's difficult to really tell from where we're at in time. Maybe anime is truly getting worse, who knows. However, it could very well be a dip in quality, it could be stagnation, or it could be increased awareness of what anime is being released thanks to the internet. It's less an actual drop in quality that's the problem. It's the perceived drop as I can tell.
Nov 21, 2015 10:00 PM

Mar 2008
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
It gets lonely when there's noone who's seen your favourite show.
Nov 21, 2015 11:07 PM

Feb 2015
LittleGao said:
Nov 21, 2015 11:08 PM

Oct 2008
ExTamplier said:

That could very well be said about newer series as well.
Nov 22, 2015 5:10 AM

Sep 2015
ExTamplier said:

So what you're saying is...It's literally no different from today then. Lol.

Lots of average with a few gems mixed in.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» what's the worst anime you've watched and what exactly was the worst part of it ? ( 1 2 )

ame - Apr 7

59 by Bruh69XD »»
39 seconds ago

» which antagonist is your fave and which one you cannot JUST TAKE SERIOUSLY ?

ame - 51 minutes ago

7 by deg »»
3 minutes ago

» Do you watch anything else besides anime? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 21

81 by BilboBaggins365 »»
4 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

83 by FanofAction »»
7 minutes ago

» Characters you like but everyone else hates. ( 1 2 )

Spunkert - May 17, 2023

50 by Bruh69XD »»
8 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.