Forum Settings
Forums
Nov 21, 2015 9:47 AM

An Apatheist is a person who regards the question of the existence or non-existence of a god or gods to be essentially meaningless and irrelevant. However, some define the term more broadly to refer to apathy towards all religions or belief systems, not just toward a belief in god.

Basically, no interest in discovering the questions of existence as whole. When put in perspective in its purest form, it somewhat signals retardation and stagnation in a society that it is only the endless questions about our being that drive us towards a better understanding of ourselves and the world and denying those questions - as in deeming them irrelevant - is tantamount to denying progression. But, somehow, people have successfully conflated apatheism with atheism that both tend to be progressive not because some religion tells them to do so but because they just want to discover the truth (and here's the irony).

Speaking in terms with mainstream, apatheism is simply a belief that even if there were to be a God, he's having no influence on our lives hence he's irrelevant. Which is, yet again, a huge logical leap. All in all, apatheism just smells of some modern day, cool shit that won't last for more than a few year's in any one's lives. Because every soul on this Earth will one day find out that the ultimate questions of his being do have a say in his mental health if not anything else.
Modified by geniobastardo, Nov 21, 2015 9:50 AM
[i]"Yet each man kills the thing he loves,
By each let this be heard,
Some do it with a bitter look,
Some with a flattering word,
The coward does it with a kiss,
The brave man with a sword!''
~Oscar
[/i]

Nov 21, 2015 9:48 AM

Edgy

Nov 21, 2015 9:54 AM

kobun said:
Edgy

Who, you?
~Oscar
[/i]

Nov 21, 2015 9:55 AM

Meh

Nov 21, 2015 9:55 AM

geniobastardo said:
All in all, apatheism just smells of some modern day, cool shit that won't last for more than a few year's in any one's lives.

You've said it yourself .
Wohooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Nov 21, 2015 9:56 AM

Since when do beliefs need justification?

Nov 21, 2015 9:57 AM

I have one life to live, and have better things to do than worry about how or why I'm here. All that matters is that I'm here, and I'm going to try to enjoy myself as much as possible until I kick the bucket. I'll leave wondering how and why we're here to the people who might actually get some use out of that information. Not some mundane loser like myself.

Nov 21, 2015 9:58 AM

geniobastardo said:
kobun said:
Edgy

Who, you?

No,kobun is a feminist.

According to the rumours,ofc.
Will sell gamer boi bath water. More in PMs.

Nov 21, 2015 9:58 AM

Yamafam94 said:

Since antiquity. And the most unanimous justification for having a belief is to not let your mental health go astray. As for the choice of beliefs, well, the justifications for that are innumerable.
~Oscar
[/i]

Nov 21, 2015 9:59 AM

magikewlgirlz said:
I have one life to live, and have better things to do than worry about how or why I'm here. All that matters is that I'm here, and I'm going to try to enjoy myself as much as possible until I kick the bucket. I'll leave wondering how and why we're here to the people who might actually get some use out of that information. Not some mundane loser like myself.

That much humility might actually end the life you love so much one day.
~Oscar
[/i]

Nov 21, 2015 10:01 AM

Apatheism isn't something that needs to be justified. We cannot comprehend what God is nor if he/she. That is why I think religion is very disrespectful if there is a creator. Who are we to think we understand God's will?

If there is a God, out of the uncountable number of galaxies in this universe, why would it care about some monkeys on a mud ball in the middle of nowhere? There is nothing wrong with wanting to find answers, but to have your whole existence consumed by an answer you will never reach is pointless.

You should prove why we should care about your God over the other Gods or why we should care about God at all.

Nov 21, 2015 10:02 AM

geniobastardo said:
magikewlgirlz said:

That much humility might actually end the life you love so much one day.

Either way you go, it's going to end. Doesn't matter to me if it's at 30 or at 80. Not like I really have a choice in the matter. And to be honest, as long as I die of a heart attack or something and not at the hands of some sick fuck, I'm gold.

Nov 21, 2015 10:05 AM

PoeticJustice said:
Apatheism isn't something that needs to be justified. We cannot comprehend what God is nor if he/she. That is why I think religion is very disrespectful if there is a creator. Who are we to think we understand God's will?

If there is a God, out of the uncountable number of galaxies in this universe, why would it care about some monkeys on a mud ball in the middle of nowhere? There is nothing wrong with wanting to find answers, but to have your whole existence consumed by an answer you will never reach is pointless.

You should prove why we should care about your God over the other Gods or why we should care about God at all.

It wasn't about caring about a God or not. It was about wondering the deeper questions of life. Now you know what it is about, start over.
~Oscar
[/i]

Nov 21, 2015 10:30 AM

I guess some people come to the point where they figure out you can't prove one or the other, and thud decide not to care.

Why care too much about questions you will never know the certain answer to?

I figure thatæs their thought process anyways. It makes enough sense in my head to be understandable.

Nov 21, 2015 10:43 AM

If you asked an Apatheist to justify himself he just say "Yeah I don't give a shit".
Nothin to justify
Modified by SolidShadow, Nov 21, 2015 11:41 AM

Nov 21, 2015 11:36 AM

geniobastardo said:
PoeticJustice said:

It wasn't about caring about a God or not. It was about wondering the deeper questions of life. Now you know what it is about, start over.

That's not what the definition you gave said.

Nov 21, 2015 11:40 AM

geniobastardo said:
All in all, apatheism just smells of some modern day, cool shit that won't last for more than a few year's in any one's lives. Because every soul on this Earth will one day find out that the ultimate questions of his being do have a say in his mental health if not anything else.

Nah, been apathetic for 15+ years.

Nov 21, 2015 11:41 AM

EminemVEVO said:
geniobastardo said:
All in all, apatheism just smells of some modern day, cool shit that won't last for more than a few year's in any one's lives. Because every soul on this Earth will one day find out that the ultimate questions of his being do have a say in his mental health if not anything else.

Nah, been apathetic for 15+ years.

is it because you live in shady's world? you should come to cole world.

Nov 21, 2015 1:17 PM

I certainly don't agree with "apatheism". Usually those people call themselves "agnostic", even though that doesn't answer the question. Humans have a longing for the transcendent, and I agree it reeks of a certain malaise that so many in this era deny that. The problem is that I don't find any given religion is an adequate answer, and in fact is more of a perversion of that natural human impulse. It twists that into something that can be used to manipulate people. I find Islamic chants to be beautiful sometimes, but then when you find out what they're actually saying, it's kind of a buzzkill.

You seem to say that believing is largely for the sake of mental health. I can't bring myself to believe in something absurd for the sake of setting my mind at ease. I probably would if I could.

Nov 21, 2015 10:18 PM

Yuki-Shiro said:

Wondering about a 'God' or a higher being is wondering exactly what I stipulated. Eternal damnation or beatification, the ins and outs of our pre-genesis, what happens after death - these all are questions that guide us towards questioning a God's existence.
Altairius said:

You seem to say that believing is largely for the sake of mental health. I can't bring myself to believe in something absurd for the sake of setting my mind at ease. I probably would if I could.

The only thing absurd is our definition of 'absurd'.
~Oscar
[/i]

Nov 22, 2015 2:40 AM

geniobastardo said:
Yuki-Shiro said:

Wondering about a 'God' or a higher being is wondering exactly what I stipulated. Eternal damnation or beatification, the ins and outs of our pre-genesis, what happens after death - these all are questions that guide us towards questioning a God's existence.
Altairius said:

The only thing absurd is our definition of 'absurd'.

How would you change the definition?

Nov 22, 2015 2:44 AM

Altairius said:

How would you change the definition?

I won't. There need not be any definition in the first place. Just think, homosexuals were burned alive in the past. Did that make the humans living then, less human? no. Absurdity is ever-changing. If it was something constant, I'd have taken it seriously.
~Oscar
[/i]

Nov 22, 2015 3:03 AM

I don't see how calling their behavior absurd is the same as calling them less human.

I don't think the ever-changing view of absurdity invalidates the idea. Perhaps we don't see how faulty and uncritical our thinking is in accepting certain ideas, and then later on we do. At that point, we see the absurdity of how we used to think. Just because what we define as absurd is ever-changing doesn't mean that certain things aren't truly absurd.

Nov 22, 2015 6:56 AM

Altairius said:
I don't see how calling their behavior absurd is the same as calling them less human.

I don't think the ever-changing view of absurdity invalidates the idea. Perhaps we don't see how faulty and uncritical our thinking is in accepting certain ideas, and then later on we do. At that point, we see the absurdity of how we used to think. Just because what we define as absurd is ever-changing doesn't mean that certain things aren't truly absurd.

In ancient Rome and Greece, homosexuality was allowed. After Christianity came, it was again banned. Then, after Christianity's fall, it's been allowed again. Can you really say that we tend to realize the fault in our thinking if we give ourselves some time?

The cycle of life is easy to decipher: You have to have one subjective goal of your own. Anything that agrees with your goal is an 'okay' and anything that doesn't, you'll automatically call it absurd. So, absurd is an invalid idea to apply or even express in a debate where all people do not agree with your subjective goal in life.
~Oscar
[/i]

Nov 22, 2015 7:01 AM
I don't give a shit. there justified.
tried giving a shit didn't work out. by this logic
trying something new is my justification

Nov 22, 2015 7:03 AM

kobun said:
Edgy

Nov 22, 2015 7:09 AM

"a belief that even if there were to be a God, he's having no influence on our lives hence he's irrelevant." Sounds about right to me. There's only a finite amount of stuff to care about. And a supra-natural being that may or may not exist is literally at the bottom of my caring list.

How does it "deny progression"?

Nov 22, 2015 7:16 AM

It is pointless to consider the existence of a god, just as it's pointless to consider the existence of any other fairy tale.

Nov 22, 2015 7:18 AM

Tachii said:
"a belief that even if there were to be a God, he's having no influence on our lives hence he's irrelevant." Sounds about right to me. There's only a finite amount of stuff to care about. And a supra-natural being that may or may not exist is literally at the bottom of my caring list.

How does it "deny progression"?

It's a philosophical argument more than it is an empirical one. There's no way we can be sure that we aren't being influenced by a God - or vice-versa for that matter. How it denies progression is a little bit of a stretched notion but it makes sense if you ponder over it a little. Atheism rejects God and accepts that whatever we do, we do it on our own. Atheism is just one step away from Nihilism in that it just barely manages to convince itself that it wants human progression. That it wouldn't want chaos like a nihilist would. Whereas Apatheism neither denies nor accepts the notion of a God. Therefore, it's neither on a pedestal to declare human progression as end-goal for its subscribers nor it would convince its followers to turn into nihilists. An Apatheist is hanging in the middle; at the mercy of his surroundings and upbringing. Assuming that one's beliefs tend to shape his/her personality, an Apatheist, if placed in a society where he would not be obliged to bear any compassion for his fellows or feel like he's a part of a collective struggle towards something bigger, will definitely turn into, let's just say, something chaotic and anti-progression.
~Oscar
[/i]

Nov 22, 2015 7:26 AM

It does sound way stretched to me lol.

Also, I'm not sure I understand your last statement. Are you saying that if someone who believed in God was put in the same situation, that he wouldn't become chaotic/anti-progression? Because someone who don't believe/care about God could still compassion, and could be part of a collective struggle since humans are social creatures.

Nov 22, 2015 7:32 AM

Tachii said:
It does sound way stretched to me lol.

Also, I'm not sure I understand your last statement. Are you saying that if someone who believed in God was put in the same situation, that he wouldn't become chaotic/anti-progression? Because someone who don't believe/care about God could still compassion, and could be part of a collective struggle since humans are social creatures.

Well, I told you, it's a philosophical argument. These arguments go nowhere if we don't take things in their purest form.

I haven't stipulated that one has to believe in God to be compassionate. The condition here is to believe in progression and collective struggle to be compassionate and progressive. Admittedly, it is to my convenience that almost all the ideas of God on this Earth are related with 'compassion' or teach compassion so a believer will automatically believe in compassion (Remember: we're taking everything in its unadulterated form). Whereas an Apatheist would have no reason to believe in compassion. An Apatheist is left out solely at the mercy of his surroundings to be shaped and molded.

In an actual setting though, both the apatheist and a believer will tend to be chaotic given that premise. But if a believer is a staunch one, then there's a slight chance that he won't turn into it. There are examples of that found throughout in human history.
~Oscar
[/i]

Nov 22, 2015 8:08 AM

Yamafam94 said:

Since the dawn of time.

"I believe I have a dragon in my garage. YOU CAN'T TELL ME ANYTHING."

"I believe God doesn't exists. FUCK YOUR COUNTERARGUMENTS."

Does that sound rational to you?
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things

Nov 22, 2015 7:31 PM

geniobastardo said:
Altairius said:

In ancient Rome and Greece, homosexuality was allowed. After Christianity came, it was again banned. Then, after Christianity's fall, it's been allowed again. Can you really say that we tend to realize the fault in our thinking if we give ourselves some time?

The cycle of life is easy to decipher: You have to have one subjective goal of your own. Anything that agrees with your goal is an 'okay' and anything that doesn't, you'll automatically call it absurd. So, absurd is an invalid idea to apply or even express in a debate where all people do not agree with your subjective goal in life.

Right, and I would say banning homosexuality is absurd, because it has harmful consequences. I suppose from an Islamic perspective, the modern world has gone horribly astray. I think that one of us is right, and one is wrong though. In fact, you seem to be supporting moral relativism, which is very odd for a religious person. From the modern perspective though, the world has become more rational over time, with certain dips back into the irrational here and there.

Nov 23, 2015 6:45 AM

geniobastardo said:
An Apatheist is a person who regards the question of the existence or non-existence of a god or gods to be essentially meaningless and irrelevant. However, some define the term more broadly to refer to apathy towards all religions or belief systems, not just toward a belief in god.

Basically, no interest in discovering the questions of existence as whole. When put in perspective in its purest form, it somewhat signals retardation and stagnation in a society that it is only the endless questions about our being that drive us towards a better understanding of ourselves and the world and denying those questions - as in deeming them irrelevant - is tantamount to denying progression. But, somehow, people have successfully conflated apatheism with atheism that both tend to be progressive not because some religion tells them to do so but because they just want to discover the truth (and here's the irony).

Speaking in terms with mainstream, apatheism is simply a belief that even if there were to be a God, he's having no influence on our lives hence he's irrelevant. Which is, yet again, a huge logical leap. All in all, apatheism just smells of some modern day, cool shit that won't last for more than a few year's in any one's lives. Because every soul on this Earth will one day find out that the ultimate questions of his being do have a say in his mental health if not anything else.
In theory it's stupid, in reality I don't think it is.

I think being a believer is more absurd from what I've seen. I remember seeing you need to actually justify your belief in god reflecting how you loved your own family. A point was brought up that you need to put everything toward god first before your family, something along those lines. That point only makes sense to believers, to anyone else that's more absurd than apatheism. It's a ridiculous point, needing to defend your belief in god having more value than loving your family.

But I digress. I don't think it's absurd because that automatically assumes that we as a human race are actually "on to something" with all our holy books. You've already leaped too far assuming certain principles within the religion where it may be nonsense.

Apatheism also isn't absurd because you know which people are apatheists. They wouldn't be scientists studying the universe for example. It's also not absurd for having no interest in a possible god. He might be a deistic god, so people praying to him and favouring him over their family would be behaving irrationally not the atheists and apatheists.
Trance said:
I'm a guy and I can imagine buttfucking another guy. I don't find the thought repulsive, and I can even imagine kissing another man.

Nov 23, 2015 6:50 AM

I was going to...
But I can't be bothered to...