Forum Settings
Forums

Would you consider someone immoral if they were unaware their actions were?

Nov 21, 2015 1:40 AM

Say a psychopath commits homicide for fun but he is unaware of the implications of his actions because of a personality disorder, is he immoral?

If you said yes, consider the case of children. Before the age of 10, they cannot be criminally responsible for their actions because they are deemed too young to understand.
Modified by dissipated, Nov 21, 2015 1:53 AM

Nov 21, 2015 1:41 AM

He isn't immoral by his standards but he is by mine.

PS as for the kids, that's another case. There's a difference between a kid and a psychopath that the former can be taught the implications of his actions but the latter can't.
[i]"Yet each man kills the thing he loves,
By each let this be heard,
Some do it with a bitter look,
Some with a flattering word,
The coward does it with a kiss,
The brave man with a sword!''
~Oscar
[/i]

Nov 21, 2015 1:42 AM

They still did it that is all there is to it.

You can lower the sentence tho depending on case itself.

In child case they are still developing but for grown people not calling them immoral but demented.

Nov 21, 2015 1:42 AM

Does said psychopath enjoy killing?
Then yes, he's immoral.
Now I see the secret of the making of the best persons.
It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth.
-Walt Whitman

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
-Robert A. Heinlein

Nov 21, 2015 1:48 AM

geniobastardo said:
He isn't immoral by his standards but he is by mine.

Criminally Asymptomatic

Nov 21, 2015 1:48 AM

Yeah cause we prejudge every time

Nov 21, 2015 1:49 AM

Yes to both.

Nov 21, 2015 1:55 AM

Morals differ from person to person.

Nov 21, 2015 2:00 AM

No, since morality is based off of intent, not action.

Nov 21, 2015 2:21 AM

LionCake said:
No, since morality is based off of intent, not action.

^^
the judicial system judges upon the "guilty mind"

but anyways, i'm pretty sure most homicidal psychopaths are aware of their actions. it's really uncommon to have a very severe mental retardation paired with sadistic aggression.

the cases you do get are stories like these: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/vince-li-man-in-bus-beheading-granted-unsupervised-passes-to-winnipeg-1.2976618
in which he can't be held 'immoral', because he had un-diagnosed schizophrenia at the time of crime, which controlled his mind to such a degree that he thought if he didn't kill the victim and did what he did, that victim will instead kill all of human race.

Nov 21, 2015 2:43 AM

sutorii said:

i'm pretty sure most homicidal psychopaths are aware of their actions. it's really uncommon to have a very severe mental retardation paired with sadistic aggression

More or less. The act itself is done cognitively, however the issue that urges, or enables the desire (e.g. homicide) is often unaware to the perpetrator. A lot of people do it thinking their behavior is normal. However, people that do it knowing it is not normal, and their state of mind are abnormal are of a different level entirely.

Nov 21, 2015 5:33 AM

No, just ignorant