Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Dec 22, 2009 4:13 PM
I just got into Fullmetal and I started watching the new version brotherhood, up to episode 35. I am now in love with the series and want to watch the old version while the newer one is coming out. Now does the old version match up with the new one perfectly or will I have to start from square 1? Or can I just pick up at ep 36 on the old with no major changes?

Dec 23, 2009 2:53 PM

The old one is exactly the same as FMA: Brotherhood as of episode 3. After that, the new one follows the manga, while the second one is inspired by it, to come to that (ridiculous) movie with that (even more ridiculous) ending.
If you want to, watch the older one, but I like the new one a LOT more than the first one. And their stories are different, so you'd need to watch all of the first series.

But there are some parts of the manga in the original anime that aren't in Brotherhood. For example, the episode with Barry, the chopper. I just LOVE that one. Plus the original series freaked me out a lot more than the new one.

Watching it could be nice, but watch from the beginning.
Modified by poketonip, Dec 23, 2009 3:38 PM

Dec 24, 2009 4:49 PM

I'm in a similar situation as you, as I've just begin to watch the first series after catching up with the second. As mentioned in the post above me, no they do not connect. Alot of situations are similar, but they are presented differently, like the Laboratory 5 incident, and Dr Marcoh.

Unlike me, I'd recommend you give it some time between the two series. After watching the second, I can't help but compare the two, which is really lowering my enjoyment of the first series, as, in my opinion, the second series executes almost everything much better.

Dec 27, 2009 6:41 PM

i'd say watch the first one after the new one ends cuz trying to follow two storylines of the same show will confuse you lol