Forum Settings
Forums
Nov 20, 2015 8:40 PM

the only unconditional love is love itself. But love is a construct of humans and doesn't exist in an a vacuum. So no, unconditional love does not exist.

Nov 20, 2015 8:43 PM

Bernkastel said:

A person who tells you "I love everything in the world" seriously is no different to saying "I think everything in the world is green". If they're being literal, then it's clear they don't know what love/green is.

In fact, when someone says "I love everything in the world" the correct interpretation is actually "I am happy right now".

It depends on if they previously were not like that. If they were previously not like that you can see they do understand what love is. If they had always been like that you can see they had not felt the countering emotions to understand the love they feel.

Hm Id say " I love everything in the world" could more so be interpreted as " I see the good in all" but id not disagree it could mean they feel a sense of joy.

Nov 20, 2015 9:12 PM

Daconator said:

Yes, I do think this sort of love exists. Mostly from mothers to their children[, and one could easily see how from an evolutionary perspective this could serve as a very adaptative trait. And as most traits it could very well dilute to other facets of our lives, romantic for instance, or even professional for that matter.

But even that is condition-based. I was reading Donald Winnicott's paper "Hate in counter-transference'', and it dawned on me that mothers do actually hate their children more than love them and that their 'love' is based entirely on a reward that may or may not be given to the mothers - by their child - in the long run. A mother always puts bets on the prospect that her child will reward her upbringing of him in one way or the other in the future. And that's where her love stems from.
[i]"Yet each man kills the thing he loves,
By each let this be heard,
Some do it with a bitter look,
Some with a flattering word,
The coward does it with a kiss,
The brave man with a sword!''
~Oscar
[/i]

Nov 20, 2015 9:14 PM

Daconator said:
I certainly am not in love with everyone I see some good in.
Being in love has a different meaning than loving someone. In love implies romantic commitment. So id not be surprised.

What I meant not was necessarily seeing the good qualities of someone but a different sort of way of looking at them and their value.
Modified by traed, Nov 20, 2015 9:20 PM

Nov 20, 2015 9:55 PM

Taking into account that unconditional love does not mean love without conditions, I thought Millennium Actress summed it up well, "The part I really loved, was chasing him."

Nov 20, 2015 10:06 PM

It's called obsession.

Nov 20, 2015 10:10 PM
I think that the most common type of unconditional love is between a parent and their child. Sure not everybody experienced it but it surely exists.

Nov 20, 2015 10:11 PM

Daconator said:
By no means did I ever assert, or intended to, that there are no conditions for the development of love. I find the idea you mentioned interesting, though from a starting position it seems to go agaisnt my experience and knowledge. I would have to read that work.

My bad. But here's the work:
http://www.josephmatta.com/Journal%20Club/Week%204/winnicott%20hate%20in%20the%20countertransference.pdf

You can scroll down to the 4th page and there's the ''A mother's love and hate'' section. I laughed the entire time I read it.
[i]"Yet each man kills the thing he loves,
By each let this be heard,
Some do it with a bitter look,
Some with a flattering word,
The coward does it with a kiss,
The brave man with a sword!''
~Oscar
[/i]

Nov 21, 2015 1:02 AM

Parents don't love their children unconditionally. If they love them because they're their kids, then it's a condition they fulfill.

What gives love meaning is the fact there's a reason for it. There's a specific reason why we love one person and not the mother. If there wasn't, we'd love everyone.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things

Nov 21, 2015 1:20 AM

No.

I don't even believe "love" itself exists. People can like/tolerate one another but its usually to fulfill a need or purpose.

Pages (2) « 1 [2]