Forum Settings
Forums

Why do people seek out the religious to mock

New
Nov 20, 2015 11:12 AM

Aug 2013
I understand if someone is an Atheist and defends their views or argues with a religious person when in discussion and I get the idea of wanting religion to leave them alone but why do some go looking for the religious just to spout either mockery or hate. It makes no sense with the leave me alone attitude.

Ive seen people on sites and in religious gathering and even online say reviews for the Quran or bible on amazon where people just post mocking things entirely useless for the review itself. Or they'll go to sites for religious types and troll. Or shout things when they see say like a bible group or something. Then you also have those Anti Christian shootings two that I can recall recently with that college n church shootings.

Basically if you really want to be left alone to live your way why don't you offer the same thing. Or better yet even if you disagree with something don't seek it out just to be a dick.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 20, 2015 11:13 AM

May 2012
Religious people do the same thing. It is not exclusive to athiests. Hell, you would be hard pressed to find someone from some group that doesn't troll the opposition. Singling out Athiests makes you look intellectually dishonest.
Nov 20, 2015 11:15 AM
Jul 2018
I assume it's because you are such easy targets. Nothing simpler than "triggering" a religious person.
Nov 20, 2015 11:16 AM

Dec 2013
Wensbane said:
I assume it's because you are such easy targets. Nothing simpler than "triggering" a religious person.
^ Also it might partially be along the lines of feeling progressive or superior. "Lol, you believe in a genie in the sky? Go back to the 12th century."
AstrosNov 20, 2015 11:19 AM
Nov 20, 2015 11:17 AM
Jul 2018
They have nothing better to do. The same thing vice versa.
Nov 20, 2015 11:18 AM

Mar 2014
PoeticJustice said:
Religious people do the same thing. It is not exclusive to athiests. Hell, you would be hard pressed to find someone from some group that doesn't troll the opposition. Singling out Athiests makes you look intellectually dishonest.
^
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Nov 20, 2015 11:19 AM

Mar 2014
That's human instinct. Demonizing your opponents is a good way to get the 'stupid' people in your lobby. Goes for both religious and the non-religious people.

My concern with all this is that when people try to, somehow, prove that X religion is violent or whatnot. Now, I understand if their intentions are solely theological - but they're not. They're 'political'. People somehow try to prove their political inclinations by distorting theology for their benefits as if one has to play ANY role in the other's existence. Take this new age schtick of 'criticizing Islam' that Islam is violent or has violent passages that incites the terrorist. For fuck's fucking sake, those violent passages were there since the day Quran was compiled, no terrorist was born then. How fucking blind do you have to be to not notice?

Fuck ignorance.
[i]"Yet each man kills the thing he loves,
By each let this be heard,
Some do it with a bitter look,
Some with a flattering word,
The coward does it with a kiss,
The brave man with a sword!''
~Oscar
[/i]
Nov 20, 2015 11:20 AM

Aug 2013
PoeticJustice said:

Nothing dishonest about it. If someone wishes to focus on the other half of it they're free to make a thread. however seen as we here on mal have discussed at great length the "failings of religion" seen as mocking religion threads seem to be the norm, that it would actually be more in line with originality to see from the other side for a change.

This thread is specifically about Atheists that target the religious. That half was the focus today. If I wished to discuss a football team for example im not under obligation to mention and talk about all of them if I wish to focus on a specific one.

We know why the religious might target none believers for conversion or to denounce them as sinners. I want to know why those in the Atheist community which is basically just lacking a religious belief seek out the believers to combat. Unlike the religious that haggle you they seem to have no real goal yet can commit acts of even violence for it.
If everyone just wants religion to leave them alone why bother seeking it out at all.

Why do some lunatics shoot up colleges targeting Christians, why does not believing in a religion make people actually angry at those who think differently. What triggers such opposition even those who have never been annoyed or approached by a preacher seem to want to be aggressive or confrontational against anything religious. I'm sure we have all seen it at one point or done it.
SpooksNov 20, 2015 11:27 AM
Nov 20, 2015 11:34 AM
May 2015
Because being better than someone else makes lots of people feel good. With so many atheists online, it's easy for them to reassure each other that they're far more intellectual than anyone religious.
Nov 20, 2015 11:41 AM
Jul 2018
It's fun.
Nov 20, 2015 11:42 AM

May 2012
Pacifica_Ocean said:

Nothing dishonest about it. If someone wishes to focus on the other half of it they're free to make a thread. however seen as we here on mal have discussed at great length the "failings of religion" seen as mocking religion threads seem to be the norm, that it would actually be more in line with originality to see from the other side for a change.

This thread is specifically about Atheists that target the religious. That half was the focus today. If I wished to discuss a football team for example im not under obligation to mention and talk about all of them if I wish to focus on a specific one.

We know why the religious might target none believers for conversion or to denounce them as sinners. I want to know why those in the Atheist community which is basically just lacking a religious belief seek out the believers to combat. Unlike the religious that haggle you they seem to have no real goal yet can commit acts of even violence for it.
If everyone just wants religion to leave them alone why bother seeking it out at all.

Why do some lunatics shoot up colleges targeting Christians, why does not believing in a religion make people actually angry at those who think differently. What triggers such opposition even those who have never been annoyed or approached by a preacher seem to want to be aggressive or confrontational against anything religious. I'm sure we have all seen it at one point or done it.

Sometimes people want validation for their ideological beliefs so they take out on others. Others have had bad experiences with Christians/Muslims/Jews, so they aim their frustration on the forums etc. There are a multitude of reasons as to why, but you would have to look on an individual basis.
Nov 20, 2015 11:44 AM

Apr 2015
-YunoGasai said:
Because being better than someone else makes lots of people feel good. With so many atheists online, it's easy for them to reassure each other that they're far more intellectual than anyone religious.
This.
hi
Sets
Last FM
Anime List
Manga List
Clue no. 2: Somewhere in one of the pictures in my forum signature.
Nov 20, 2015 11:46 AM

Feb 2015
Why do religious people feel the need to spread their views?
Nov 20, 2015 11:46 AM

Aug 2013
PoeticJustice said:

Sometimes people want validation for their ideological beliefs so they take out on others. Others have had bad experiences with Christians/Muslims/Jews, so they aim their frustration on the forums etc. There are a multitude of reasons as to why, but you would have to look on an individual basis.

And yet it also seems to have a collective power. As if Atheism is a religion in on itself and therefor conflictive with other religions. That would be whats is required to make the whole thing make sense. It seems very much the same as two incompatible religions taking shots. Its not enough to live and let live the opposing ideology has to be cancelled out.
I know what its like raised an atheist I took part myself, mocking the religious and yet I can't remember totally why or my reasoning. All I know is that simply been an atheist gave me cause to mock the religious. Now I cringe just like why? why bother others because of it. Makes no sense to me now.
Nov 20, 2015 11:50 AM

May 2012
Pacifica_Ocean said:
PoeticJustice said:

And yet it also seems to have a collective power. As if Atheism is a religion in on itself and therefor conflictive with other religions. That would be whats is required to make the whole thing make sense. It seems very much the same as two incompatible religions taking shots. Its not enough to live and let live the opposing ideology has to be cancelled out.
I know what its like raised an atheist I took part myself, mocking the religious and yet I can't remember totally why or my reasoning. All I know is that simply been an atheist gave me cause to mock the religious. Now I cringe just like why? why bother others because of it. Makes no sense to me now.

You matured and you realized that there is no point to doing that.

The hive mind mentality is dangerous because like you said, Athiests have gathered as a collective and have begun ostracizing religious people. But what they don't understand is, that they have become like religious people in the process. If religion is going to effect legislature, laws or treatment of certain people then you should be able to speak out. But making fun of them doesn't really do anything.
Nov 20, 2015 11:52 AM

Sep 2012
#WarOnChristmas
#WarOnChristianity
Nov 20, 2015 11:53 AM
Jul 2018
I guess you're referring to atheists on the internet. They're the ones that are insecure pricks. Most don't give a Shrek
Nov 20, 2015 11:53 AM

Apr 2015
Internet is a good place for arguments.
Nov 20, 2015 11:57 AM

Oct 2010
I'd say this, and any mocking or offensive attitude in general, has to do with the general environment of cynicism and how easy is it to make yourself look like an asshole at the internet by increasing the volume of your speech a little. Then again, exceptions that take it further are everywhere but that's precisely the reason why this thread doesn't feel right, they can -and do- happen in any direction.

PoeticJustice said:

I'm agreeing too much with you today, please talk about School days or something :(
jal90Nov 20, 2015 12:00 PM
Nov 20, 2015 11:57 AM

Apr 2009
idk but it's pathetic
deadoptimist said:
Though I think shit-flinging should also have standards - no personal, no behind the scenes.
Nov 20, 2015 11:58 AM

Aug 2013
Starchaser187 said:
I guess you're referring to atheists on the internet. They're the ones that are insecure pricks. Most don't give a Shrek

not just the internet in public as well im sure we've witnessed it sometime or other and now with the whole terrorist thing we're probably going to see a lot more er militant atheists out there. Just recently a Muslim woman was pushed against a moving train whilst waiting for it by some guy, she didn't have anything to do with the terrorists yet she had a lot of facial injuries to show for merely following her religion and been a certain race.

i just wonder if the backlash against religion is going to spread to all religions leading to a new oppression movement of atheism. I doubt anyone wants it to reach a point where you can be open to abuse just for walking the street showing any kind of religious iconography but in many places walking with a Quran or a bible just invokes open season.
Nov 20, 2015 12:16 PM

Sep 2014
I'm not going to pretend to know, but my theory is that they're insecure, and/or want to feel "right" or "superior" about something, so they choose a target, and decide to mock and berate them.
This kind of behaviour isn't limited to atheists and religious people of course.
Nov 20, 2015 12:17 PM

Apr 2015
SnugglyWhuggly said:
I'm not going to pretend to know, but my theory is that they're insecure, and/or want to feel "right" or "superior" about something, so they choose a target, and decide to mock and berate them.
This kind of behaviour isn't limited to atheists and religious people of course.

+1
Nov 20, 2015 2:54 PM

Jan 2014
There are may good answers already, so I'll just add: "such is life."
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Nov 20, 2015 3:08 PM

Aug 2013
I think that a lot of these people are just insecure cretins that pride themselves on their 'forward-thinking' ways, and reject everything that doesn't align with their narrow-minded views. Maybe they're upset because their parents forced them to go to church when they were kids or something. I guess it's sort of rebellious, and it helps that there are plenty of other atheists that will pat their backs. It's important to be vocal about it, so that everyone can notice how superior they are. 'Muh rationality' in a nutshell. It's pretty moronic.

I think it's fairly normal that people openly shun and criticize other ideas and perspectives that they don't share or agree with, which is sort of a defensive action, I suppose. It's also an immature and childish one. This isn't restricted to atheists, though. Lots of people do it to some degree or another, religious people included. Seeing things from multiple perspectives, and being mature about it, isn't something that comes natural to most people.
MoogNov 20, 2015 3:15 PM
Nov 20, 2015 3:09 PM
Dec 2011
Brain washed people are easy targets.
Nov 20, 2015 3:10 PM

May 2013
Griffith said:
Brain washed people are easy targets.

+19.3
Nov 20, 2015 3:11 PM

May 2013
Religious people often do the same, and have the same sense of superiority, though I would imagine Atheists do it much more, or at least are more verbal about it.

Regardless, people are always trying to "convert" the other person. This really does not just apply with religion either.
Nov 20, 2015 3:12 PM

Dec 2012
PoeticJustice said:
I've noticed militant atheism seems to be a growing trend. It's not enough to not believe, some of them congregate and start trying to jam the whole "nothing happens when you die" and "there is no god" thing down people's throats.
Nov 20, 2015 3:23 PM

Jun 2015
cuz they got nothing better to do & just wannabe assholes. they are no better than the religious ppl who try to force their religion on others.
Nov 20, 2015 3:32 PM

Nov 2009
Says the same guy bashing an entire religion based on the actions of .0001% (or less) of those that follow that religion.

I think the better question here is why can't the kettle see when it is calling the pot black?
Nov 20, 2015 3:33 PM

Mar 2008
In a dictatorship the leader in power can have control over religious ruling of the land. In a democracy any religion in the majority has control over the whole. It is more difficult to attack the political beliefs people have when they have their religion constantly backing it up. So some people take to attacking the religion as a whole in attempt to end the political beliefs. That is not to say that all have a legitimate reason in doing such things. Some people just do it to inflate their own ego. I think in general people are more against the Evangelically religious who try to spread their religion than they are against those who are humble and quietly religious which gets more respect.
Nov 20, 2015 3:35 PM

Sep 2013
Atheists basically still adhere to all the bibles teachings, why do they do that if they don't believe in god and everything he stands for? fear.
Nov 20, 2015 3:36 PM

Nov 2009
ichii_1 said:
Atheists basically still adhere to all the bibles teachings, why do they do that if they don't believe in god and everything he stands for? fear.
Christians don't even adhere to many of the "bible's teachings". Going to have to call BS on that one.
Nov 20, 2015 3:37 PM

Sep 2014
Pirating_Ninja said:
Says the same guy bashing an entire religion based on the actions of .0001% (or less) of those that follow that religion.

I think the better question here is why can't the kettle see when it is calling the pot black?

lol, I was thinking the same thing myself to be brutally honest when I saw who the OP was.
Nov 20, 2015 3:38 PM

Apr 2014
The Bible adheres to Gilgamesh's teachings. Bow down.
AltairiusNov 20, 2015 3:42 PM
Nov 20, 2015 3:38 PM

Jul 2015
Because they get their kicks from offending people and the religious are generally the easiest to offend.
Nov 20, 2015 3:40 PM
Jun 2015
Because religion is for pussies who are too scared to die and want to believe there is something after death.

Honestly hilarious to see and mock. People go through such great length to express their bullshittery throughout the planet. Often involving death.
Nov 20, 2015 3:49 PM

May 2013
ichii_1 said:

Atheists have morals not because of the bible, and no, your statement is incorrect.
Nov 20, 2015 4:53 PM

Jan 2012
Carto738 said:
Because religion is for pussies who are too scared to die and want to believe there is something after death.

The ammount of bullshit in that statement is too high well nothing to expect from an atheist.

Nov 20, 2015 4:56 PM

Nov 2015
Because y'all need Jesus in your life
Repent now or be bathed in hellfire!
Nov 20, 2015 7:33 PM
Jun 2015
AllenVonStein said:
Carto738 said:

The ammount of bullshit in that statement is too high well nothing to expect from an atheist.

Buuut
It's true
Nov 20, 2015 7:39 PM
Jul 2018
I guess some people are always looking for something to make fun of.
Nov 20, 2015 7:46 PM

Jan 2015
Militant atheists are just social rejects who wants to bash these educated religious people
the problem is these militant atheists are united for a stupid cause; To make themselves superior. Religious people are divided bcoz of culture, and even the religious divisions itself.
Twitter and it's consequences had been a disaster for the human race
Nov 21, 2015 1:18 AM

May 2015
Atheism is connected to rationality and intelligence. Even if atheism is the most rational conclusion, you can still reach it via fallacious thinking.

But feeling smart is fun, and mocking stupidity makes you feel smarter. Stupid people who cling to atheism to feel rational will do that. It's a way for them to feel smarter.

A flat-earther can be more logical than a spherical-earther. Don't mock opposite views - challenge and address them.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Nov 21, 2015 1:19 AM

Aug 2012
Because they're bigots.
Nov 21, 2015 1:20 AM

Mar 2014
TheBrainintheJar said:
Atheism is connected to rationality and intelligence. Even if atheism is the most rational conclusion.

What are you basing that on?
~Oscar
[/i]
Nov 21, 2015 1:22 AM

Jan 2015
geniobastardo said:
TheBrainintheJar said:
Atheism is connected to rationality and intelligence. Even if atheism is the most rational conclusion.

Its kind of simple philosphy to not believe in something thats not observable, has no evidence of its existence, and is something impossible to prove.
Nov 21, 2015 1:23 AM

Mar 2014
LionCake said:
geniobastardo said:

Its kind of simple philosphy to not believe in something thats not observable, has no evidence of its existence, and is something impossible to prove.

That's an empiricist's approach, not a rationalist's.
~Oscar
[/i]
Nov 21, 2015 1:24 AM

Jan 2015
TheBrainintheJar said:
Atheism is connected to rationality and intelligence. Even if atheism is the most rational conclusion, you can still reach it via fallacious thinking.

But feeling smart is fun, and mocking stupidity makes you feel smarter. Stupid people who cling to atheism to feel rational will do that. It's a way for them to feel smarter.

A flat-earther can be more logical than a spherical-earther. Don't mock opposite views - challenge and address them.

I really like the way you put that, to me, having an opinion I agree with isnt whats really important. Its WHY you believe in something. WHY you have an opinion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» What is your favorite Masaaki Yuasa anime?

Sorachin - 3 minutes ago

0 by Sorachin »»
3 minutes ago

» do you like the fandom of your fave musical artists ??

ame - Yesterday

10 by LoveLikeBlood »»
10 minutes ago

» Global enviroment ( comments )

SyrupPastryNice - Yesterday

16 by Kamikaze_404 »»
38 minutes ago

» what is your favorite ice cream flavor? ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Apr 5

66 by Sigma- »»
2 hours ago

» Is this forum dead? It seems like it.

DesuMaiden - Yesterday

21 by Dracowyn »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.