Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 18, 2015 9:31 PM

Jan 2015
I'm doing a project for my sociology class about how we're influenced by the things around us, for how I was socialized through the media I'm including anime, can you guys think of any mature themes/message in popular anime?? Idk why but I'm stumped
Nov 18, 2015 9:40 PM

Apr 2015
Evangelion:

"the importance of self-affirmation and of creating your own value in an objectively meaningless existence.

Hideaki Anno was depressed at the time of conceiving and directing Eva. The last episode can be understood as a realisation of ones self worth and how one can arrive at self worth in an existence which does not in itself have meaning."

Many themes are explored, but here is one. You could talk about how it explores many issues humans can face as each character represents at least 1 or 2, that or u haven't watched the show :/ I didn't check before answering the question.

Similar message explained could be taken from Tatami Galaxy? There are a lot of anime talking about finding your self worth etc.
Brace yourself.

Soon as LotGH 2017 comes out. The anime community is going to become so cancerous you will need to take cover and hide.
Nov 18, 2015 9:44 PM

Jun 2011
Kuuchuu Buranko

It's short (11 episodes) so you can finish it in 1 sitting.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Nov 18, 2015 9:52 PM

Jan 2010
You mean something that was made with a social or political agenda? Off the top of my head:

Serial Experiments Lain - Disassociation created by a multitude of "selves" developed through the internet

Haibane Renmei - Faith and forgiveness of the self

Metropolis - Dichotomy of humans and robots, the hierarchy created by introducing robots to society, worker's revolution

Humanity Has Declined/Kino's Journey - Pick and choose any episode, there's a bunch that's presented and examined at a topical level. They range from social criticisms to shots at popular culture

Eden of the East - Disillusionment of Japanese youth and the reconstruction of social structures in post-war Japan
Nov 18, 2015 9:55 PM

Sep 2014
Rainbow: Nisha Rokubou no Shichinin - Greatly talks about how important friends are, not like in a shounen when friends give them power.
when ur about to have a refreshing sip of earl grey tea and someone says "traps are gay"
Nov 18, 2015 10:02 PM

Oct 2015
Hellsing ultimate

"I have come to believe that these fightening immortals are in fact, frail, sobbing, children."
"Demons dont cry"

Basically it means that their is no such thing as evil, only pain and sadness.
The peasant is bound by the king. The king is bound by the peasants and their kingdom. But the Viking is bound to nothing but themselves.

Nov 18, 2015 10:34 PM

Feb 2015
the most common i've come across is to never, EVER kill yourself. this is shown in colorful, death parade, code breaker, and many others.
Nov 18, 2015 11:01 PM

Oct 2014
Most anime serves to defile the viewer. So you could talk about how blasphemous the industry is, and how its deceived you into turning your back on our Father in heaven.
Nov 18, 2015 11:19 PM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Mars of Destruction = Humans are the true enemies for Earth

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Nov 19, 2015 12:04 AM

Feb 2015
Relationships in high school, especially romantic, will stick with you for the rest of your life.
Nov 19, 2015 2:11 AM

Feb 2013
yosuga no sora
school days
kodomo no jikan
aki sora
sakura trick

all these anime have very good messages and extremely mature themes
Nov 19, 2015 2:53 AM

Jan 2015
This may be just me, but I definitely saw a meaningful message from Sakurasou, that is, work your hardest and you will fail sometimes in life, but you have to learn to get back up and try again - until you reached your goal. IIRC, Shiina asked Sorata; "What colour he was" (at the beginning of the series). I believe he responded with "white" or something plain. Then, near the end, Sorata stated that he was "full of colours". Correct me if I'm wrong...
Nov 19, 2015 2:58 AM

Nov 2009
branfink said:
I'm doing a project for my sociology class about how we're influenced by the things around us, for how I was socialized through the media I'm including anime, can you guys think of any mature themes/message in popular anime?? Idk why but I'm stumped

Do you mean to ask about messages that are very common in anime (like the message from Sakurasou, above - a staple message for anime), or do you mean to ask about impressive anime with unusual messages?

A lot of people answer to the second option, but if we're talking about socializing, it's the first kind of messages that are likely to brainwash you.
Nov 19, 2015 3:05 AM

May 2015
I don't think these anime convey a message, but they explore the topics:

Mushishi is about how nature is odd, unpredictable and neither benevolent nor hostile. It just exists

Future Diary is, among other things, about whether or not we can actually change the future. Notice how some characters give up and some try to hard their fate.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Nov 19, 2015 3:31 AM
Nov 2013
Just to give some advice, I'd recommend you to vary more your taste. Either way, what kind of theme are you looking for? There's a very good movie (called Ginga Tetsudou no Yoru; Night on the Galactic Railroad) that deals with the passage of time and the meaning of life itself. It goes on as a social journey, let's say that way, where the main character tries to deal with the acceptance of death, projecting himself into dreams and into the abstract concept of after life. It's very intriguing how the story is told, I definitely recommend, you could make a very nice work out of it, but is more ontological...

Another good one, that you could go for a more practical historical and sociological approach, is Rose of Versailles, that deals with the historic social construction in the years before the revolution.

Also, Ghost in the Shell is probably the perfect one. It goes on the scientific science line, where the paradigm is about society and cybernetics, and how the people and the organizations work in a world where social boundaries are more complex.
Nov 19, 2015 6:00 AM

Oct 2015
Slice of life teach you many things.

1.Toradora; kawashima vs taiga. Appearances deceive everything, sometimes you may prefer someone with cute looks without knowing his/her true self than honest, shaped tongue people that show his/her true color.

2.Yahari Ore no ...
New perspective, different way of thinking for err... well never think that way.
Nov 19, 2015 6:02 AM
Jul 2015
ToG25thBaam said:
Kuuchuu Buranko

It's hard to find someone seeding that one though.
Nov 19, 2015 6:02 AM

Feb 2013
Fluenza said:
This may be just me, but I definitely saw a meaningful message from Sakurasou, that is, work your hardest and you will fail sometimes in life, but you have to learn to get back up and try again - until you reached your goal. IIRC, Shiina asked Sorata; "What colour he was" (at the beginning of the series). I believe he responded with "white" or something plain. Then, near the end, Sorata stated that he was "full of colours". Correct me if I'm wrong...
i think he answered iridescent both times

PolarKoala said:
ToG25thBaam said:
Kuuchuu Buranko

It's hard to find someone seeding that one though.
if it's on bakabt it should be always seeded..

https://bakabt.me/torrent/150122/trapeze-kuchu-buranko-gg
Nov 19, 2015 6:03 AM

Jun 2015
branfink said:
I'm doing a project for my sociology class about how we're influenced by the things around us, for how I was socialized through the media I'm including anime

That sounds like a personal question, I don't see the purpose of us posting our thoughts about shows that you probably haven't watched.
Nov 19, 2015 6:09 AM

Nov 2009
Lordwen said:
branfink said:
I'm doing a project for my sociology class about how we're influenced by the things around us, for how I was socialized through the media I'm including anime

That sounds like a personal question, I don't see the purpose of us posting our thoughts about shows that you probably haven't watched.

Okay, he has 30 anime on his watching list, and some of them look quite socializing.
Angel Beats, Haganai and Sakurasou in particular.
You can get some good messages out of Date A Live and Kill la Kill too, probably some others.
Nov 19, 2015 6:17 AM

Jun 2015
flannan said:
Lordwen said:

Okay, he has 30 anime on his watching list, and some of them look quite socializing.
You can get some good messages out of Date A Live and Kill la Kill too, probably some others.
That moment in which I don't know if it's irony or not.
Nov 19, 2015 6:20 AM
Nov 2015
Code Geass = if the entire world hates one single person we can have peace & you can kill as many people as you want as long as you die in the end
Nov 19, 2015 6:58 AM

Nov 2009
Lordwen said:
flannan said:

That moment in which I don't know if it's irony or not.

I'm serious. In the "you don't have to try too hard for a school assignment" sense.

You can easily wax poetry about how the first three taught you to be a better person.

And you can easily hammer a feel-good message that will get praised by teachers out of the last two. Something about love and peace from Date a Live, and I haven't watched Kill La Kill, but there was a thread here recently about KLK and its messages.
Nov 19, 2015 6:59 AM

May 2015
branfink said:

Pedophilia is ok

More topics from this board

» which antagonist is your fave and which one you cannot JUST TAKE SERIOUSLY ?

ame - 15 minutes ago

3 by Silverlight41 »»
5 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

79 by ame »»
6 minutes ago

» For those who ever rewatch anything, are there any anime you can't really casually rewatch in whole or in part due to intensity?

WatchTillTandava - 9 hours ago

13 by perseii »»
19 minutes ago

» Do you fantasize about anime while you sleep?

Alpha_1_Zero - 11 hours ago

28 by Kenzolo-folk »»
25 minutes ago

» Did you know that anime is amazing?

KryzakamiHrybami - Yesterday

21 by L0bsterman »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.