Forum Settings
Forums

Does anyone here buy anime on blu ray, if not, why?

New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Nov 18, 2015 12:17 PM

Jun 2014
Randoll_ said:
Seiya said:

You've only completed 8 Anime. What do you know about being an otaku?

I don't care about the Japanese industry. The more North American DVDs that are purchased, the more chances a company will take to license more obscure Anime in North America.

I have completed more anime than you. I own the bds of 248 anime, the special collection of 21 anime, the limited edition of 30 and the DVD of 300 anime.
I don't care about the industry.
Please tell me how many obscure anime got licensed in North America since you started purchasing anime.

Plenty of obscure Anime get licensed by certain companies if there's enough fans out there. Why would I buy a Japanese DVD if I can't understand anything they're saying?

I buy my DVDs to watch, not to just sit on a shelf and never viewed. I have well over 100 Anime DVDs myself, and I haven't even watched a quarter of them yet. I also own over 50 LDs, some VHS tapes, and then there's my figure collection.

romagia said:
discotek are pretty cool guys when it comes to obscure licenses
or at least that's the impression i get from their ANN page

Indeed, Discotek releases great stuff.

Nov 18, 2015 12:20 PM

Nov 2014
romagia said:
aikaflip said:
It's not stupid at all to pay for something that you like so that you can get more of it in the future. If no one bought anime, it wouldn't exist. This is just common sense.

I usually buy my favorites on bluray.

not really.. unless if by "no one" you also mean the tv station buying licence for anime
which is a bit different than buying anime

Advertisers could be considered buyers as well. Besides, blu-ray and merchandise sales certainly help. Without that revenue, studios would have even smaller budgets to work with.
Nov 18, 2015 12:24 PM
Nov 2015
romagia said:

Please tell me how many obscure anime got licensed in North America since you started purchasing anime.
just of curiosity, how limited are the limited editions, and what are the best limited edition goodies you got?
[/quote]
they are very limited
i dont have any goodies as they are still unboxed

Seiya said:
Randoll_ said:

I have completed more anime than you. I own the bds of 248 anime, the special collection of 21 anime, the limited edition of 30 and the DVD of 300 anime.

Plenty of obscure Anime get licensed by certain companies if there's enough fans out there. Why would I buy a Japanese DVD if I can't understand anything they're saying?

to own the original and not be a fake western otaku

I buy my DVDs to watch, not to just sit on a shelf and never viewed. I have well over 100 Anime DVDs myself, and I haven't even watched a quarter of them yet. I also own over 50 LDs, some VHS tapes, and then there's my figure collection.

lel
I looked through your figure collection, not really impressive. You also own figures of anime you haven't even seen, why?
Nov 18, 2015 12:27 PM

Jun 2014
Randoll_ said:
romagia said:

just of curiosity, how limited are the limited editions, and what are the best limited edition goodies you got?

they are very limited

Seiya said:
Randoll_ said:

Randoll_ said:
I looked through your figure collection, not really impressive. You also own figures of anime you haven't even seen, why?

I haven't watched all of my collection because I haven't gotten around to it yet.

I collect figures of anything that I like the look of, and from Anime that I know I would like, and will eventually watch. Why do you think my figures are "Not Impressive?" What kind of figures do you own?

Nov 18, 2015 12:27 PM

Feb 2013
Randoll_ said:
romagia said:

they are very limited
unbox = to remove from box
umm.. so like you sold them or wha
Nov 18, 2015 12:31 PM
Nov 2015
Seiya said:
Randoll_ said:

they are very limited

Seiya said:

I haven't watched all of my collection because I haven't gotten around to it yet.

I collect figures of anything that I like the look of, and from Anime that I know I would like, and will eventually watch. Why do you think my figures are "Not Impressive?" What kind of figures do you own?[/quote]
I saw you posting how you don't like violent psychological anime yet you own a asuka figure.
Your collections consists of half naked girls and gays in shining armor.
You don't own limited editions.
You have unboxed them, real otakus would never unbox them.
Nov 18, 2015 12:31 PM

Jun 2015
I think if you pay money for buy one of your favourites animes in DvD dubbed on your language its good. I prefer have them in DvD if its my favourite serie.
Nov 18, 2015 12:32 PM
Nov 2015
romagia said:
Randoll_ said:

they are very limited

I don't understand what you are saying bro
The goodies are still in the box where they belong
Nov 18, 2015 12:32 PM

Feb 2013
Randoll_ said:
mmm smells like no true scotsman

Randoll_ said:
romagia said:

you used the word unboxed (= taken out)

and they are still yours.. i'd still call them goodies, even in box
which one are you most proud of? like the most limited edition one, or your waifu or smth like that
Nov 18, 2015 12:38 PM

Jun 2014
Randoll_ said:
Seiya said:

they are very limited

I collect figures of anything that I like the look of, and from Anime that I know I would like, and will eventually watch. Why do you think my figures are "Not Impressive?" What kind of figures do you own?

Randoll_ said:
I saw you posting how you don't like violent psychological anime yet you own a asuka figure.

Listen Ruskie, that figure cabinet is airtight, and is meant to display figures. You sound like one of those people who buy factory sealed video games, and never open them. I buy things to make use of them.

Also, just because I refuse to watch Evangelion doesn't mean that Asuka doesn't give me a hard on. The "Guys in Armor" are Saint Seiya myth cloth figures. I first saw Saint Seiya on TV when I was younger, and loved it, so I decided to buy some figures of them.

I don't care about "Limited Editions" of things, although I do own Sailor Moon DVD/BD limited edition box sets, complete with the collector coins.

If you've really seen as much Anime as you've said, then you'd better update your list, because it sounds like you're making everything you say up.

Nov 18, 2015 12:40 PM

Sep 2014
I use Crunchyroll and it's very cheap. I wouldn't understand why people don't use it. I have to admit that I did at one point in my anime watching (the beginning) used illegal websites, but that was because I wasn't as big of a fan and didn't know if I was going to like anime or not.
Nov 18, 2015 12:41 PM
Nov 2015
romagia said:
Randoll_ said:

Randoll_ said:

which one are you most proud of? like the most limited edition one, or your waifu or smth like that

The Fate/Zero one is pretty neat but the haibane remnei one is the most limited edition
what do you mean by waifu?
Nov 18, 2015 12:43 PM

Feb 2013
Randoll_ said:
romagia said:

The Fate/Zero one is pretty neat but the haibane remnei one is the most limited edition
what do you mean by waifu?
favourite female character
mm haibane renmei does sound limited indeed o>o
Nov 18, 2015 12:51 PM
Sep 2015
hoopla123 said:
Not stupid at all.

It's fucking stupid to call someone stupid for supporting an industry they like, while the critics themselves are pirating everything.

then by all mean waste you money on meaningless stuff where i can watch anime and read manga

for free! i rather save my cash, or pay my taxes with it, buy food or other necessities. you

probably don't know how hard it is to earn money stop living off your parents cash and you'll know

what i mean be practical man! It is stupid to be wasting money on something that will not even

sustain you even extra cash should be stored in a bank.

supporting is good but who dafuk care! Japan's anime industry is focus in Japan only! sales only

focus what they earn in Japan not Global. Anime is not profitable business abroad

they could care less about the foreigners! what they earn abroad is just extra profit
Nov 18, 2015 12:51 PM
Nov 2015
Seiya said:
Randoll_ said:

Randoll_ said:

Listen Ruskie, that figure cabinet is airtight, and is meant to display figures. You sound like one of those people who buy factory sealed video games, and never open them. I buy things to make use of them.

Also, just because I refuse to watch Evangelion doesn't mean that Asuka doesn't give me a hard on. The "Guys in Armor" are Saint Seiya myth cloth figures. I first saw Saint Seiya on TV when I was younger, and loved it, so I decided to buy some figures of them.

I don't care about "Limited Editions" of things, although I do own Sailor Moon DVD/BD limited edition box sets, complete with the collector coins.

If you've really seen as much Anime as you've said, then you'd better update your list, because it sounds like you're making everything you say up.

Asuka is underaged, if she gives you a hard on then you should seek medical help.
If you don't care why do you own the sailor moon limited edition and tell me?
I can pm you my hb
Nov 18, 2015 12:53 PM
Nov 2015
romagia said:

favourite female character

Sailor Mars, I own 12 different figures of her
Nov 18, 2015 12:58 PM

Jun 2014
Randoll_ said:
Seiya said:

Asuka is underaged, if she gives you a hard on then you should seek medical help.
If you don't care why do you own the sailor moon limited edition and tell me?
I can pm you my hb

I don't know what a "hb" is, nor do I care to answer your questions.

Nov 18, 2015 12:58 PM

May 2014
It helps to support the industry in the long run but most people including me don't actually care about the industry
Nov 18, 2015 12:59 PM

Aug 2015
romagia said:
i dont get western obsession with "support teh industry"
but this is why east europe does not make anime and games i suppose

but crunchyroll and netflixx are just a drop in a drop in the ocean..
the big cash comes from the 7000 yen bds
Nov 18, 2015 1:00 PM

Feb 2013
Randoll_ said:
heh heh .. careful with that can of worms
Nov 18, 2015 1:02 PM
Jul 2018
worldeditor11 said:
Personally, I don't give a shit about strangers telling me on how to spend my money.

Pretty much this.

I don't judge people who don't buy though, it's all good. I love my pirate niggas too.
Nov 18, 2015 1:13 PM

Jan 2009
Because when I buy DVDs they sit around collecting dust. Why buy something u may only use once in a while? Plus dvds take up room and can by a pain to lugg around when u want to watch your favorite show or movie. Plus DVDs wear out and get broken easy.
Plus the places I can rent or buy DVDs don't have a wide range or any anime DVDs. With DVDs u don't need to worry about not having the internet. But u do end having to find to the region dvd that matches your region DVD player.

It sometimes takes a while to find anime episodes online.
With anime online there are legalities like there are offline like copy right infringement. I watch anime online because it's free, doesn't take up any room offline, i don't want to spend money on DVDs. I don't have to deal with cumbersome DVD players, or if the region of the DVDs match the region of my DVDs player.
This sums up the YuYu Hakusho anime well (paraphrased) “you can’t end a good party without someone on the floor.” Yusuke Urameshi
Nov 18, 2015 1:17 PM

Jun 2014
Jersani said:
Plus DVDs wear out and get broken easy.

They won't wear out, or get "Broken Easily" if you look after them. All my DVDs still work. Same with my LDs, and VHS tapes.

Also, you can buy region free DVD players if you need to play something from another region often.

Nov 18, 2015 1:25 PM

Aug 2015
Too much information O_o. Anyway I'm a scare person xD, 300 bucks is too much for me that is like all my money that I earned in 2 months lel.

Nov 18, 2015 1:26 PM
Jul 2018
Randoll_ said:
you are no real otaku until you order them from japan

Randoll_ said:
Then you are no real otaku. Even if I don't understand everything, I have atleast the original.

Randoll_ said:
...to own the original and not be a fake western otaku

..tbh that sounds like something an ordinary weeb would say.
Let's face it mate, you don't know what the hell otaku really is.

Red_Tuesday said:
Also, people who still use optical media in 2015 may not be stupid, but certainly living in the past. At least I don't know anyone IRL who still use discs, so I guess it's a thing in poorer countries.

As much as I want to agree with this I can't.. Blu-rays and DVDs are physical mediums,
and there is demand for them. Even vinyl is going strong nowadays, because of demand.
Nov 18, 2015 1:33 PM

Jan 2009
And nostalgia
I didn't know there was region free DVD players. Are there region free DVDs?
This sums up the YuYu Hakusho anime well (paraphrased) “you can’t end a good party without someone on the floor.” Yusuke Urameshi
Nov 18, 2015 1:38 PM

Jun 2014
Jersani said:
And nostalgia
I didn't know there was region free DVD players. Are there region free DVDs?

Most region free Anime DVDs are bootlegs, but you can get region free DVD players on Amazon, eBay, and other similar sites.

There are also some DVD players that can have codes put in with the remote to bypass the region protection.

Duatizer said:
Too much information O_o. Anyway I'm a scare person xD, 300 bucks is too much for me that is like all my money that I earned in 2 months lel.

What exactly are buying that costs $300? Do you buy in bulk, because I can buy plenty of Anime DVDs, and it still doesn't come to $300 in total.

Nov 18, 2015 1:52 PM

Mar 2015
wait, people think that another people who pay for their hobby is stupid? what a time to be a live.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Nov 18, 2015 3:39 PM

Jul 2012
Wtf? It's the other way around. Judgemental idiots will judge you for pirating.
Nov 18, 2015 3:51 PM

Feb 2014
'if you're too cheap to afford a membership to these websites, you aren't paying no $500 for a season of your anime on blu ray'

mfw OP doesn't understand region lock

Nov 18, 2015 4:02 PM

Mar 2014
mayukachan said:
^Pretty much this

Screw their stupid morality sermons, I'm not gonna support an industry that threats its workers like slaves
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Nov 18, 2015 4:06 PM
Dec 2011
Don't give a shit about the anime industry. Pirate, except if you're SEA. You need to pay for something eventually.
Nov 18, 2015 4:19 PM

Dec 2012
Good things are worth paying for. Plus the less things you can be arrested for the better.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Nov 18, 2015 4:35 PM
Nov 2015
Comic_Sans said:
mayukachan said:
^Pretty much this

Screw their stupid morality sermons, I'm not gonna support an industry that threats its workers like slaves

the hypocrisy I guess you don't do many things in your life then?
Nov 18, 2015 4:54 PM
Jul 2018
Comic_Sans said:
I'm not gonna support an industry that threats its workers like slaves

Good luck with that one.
Nov 18, 2015 4:57 PM

Jul 2012
Randoll_ said:

Well, my personal reason is that I don't have the money for luxuries like purchasing digital goods (manga/anime)

My money goes into education funds.
Nov 18, 2015 4:59 PM

Nov 2014
Jersani said:
Plus DVDs wear out and get broken easy.

Not if you're careful with them.

Here's a picture of one of the first anime DVD I bought (one of Seiya's favorites).

It has some light scuff marks, but it plays perfectly fine.

Of course I don't buy every anime on DVD or BD. I also have a folder full of mkv files like everyone else here. With that said, I do try to buy my favorites when I can, and if they're available.
Nov 18, 2015 5:01 PM
Oct 2015
So what? People don't buy music songs and read books online without paying.. Same concept.
Nov 18, 2015 5:03 PM

Jun 2014
aikaflip said:
(one of Seiya's favorites).

Lol, I had a good laugh there.

Nov 18, 2015 7:09 PM

Nov 2015
In Brazilians shop we don't have much animes on DVD, and when they have, it's too expensive.
That's why I just collect Mangas
Nov 18, 2015 7:14 PM

Jun 2014
only poor ppl judge others for buying anime
Nov 18, 2015 7:27 PM
Mar 2015
Why would I pay for something that the japaneses enjoy for free? Just my POV
Nov 18, 2015 7:35 PM
Jan 2014
Allow the 'other guy' to think whatever he wants. Talking after all is truly a form of social intercourse.

When the 'other guy' tries to say his views get in the way of mine, then there is a problem.
Nov 18, 2015 7:37 PM
Nov 2015
mayukachan said:
Randoll_ said:

Well, my personal reason is that I don't have the money for luxuries like purchasing digital goods (manga/anime)

are you comic sans now? he is a hypocrite because almost every industry in our world treats some workers like slaves, its just a feel good argument and not honest. i dont buy anime because i dont want to, that would be honest. yours is honest aswell.

lukevonbritannia said:
Why would I pay for something that the japaneses enjoy for free? Just my POV

to be fair japanese people pay the ultimate price as they are japanese
Nov 18, 2015 7:45 PM

Jul 2012
Randoll_ said:
mayukachan said:

are you comic sans now? he is a hypocrite because almost every industry in our world treats some workers like slaves, its just a feel good argument and not honest. i dont buy anime because i dont want to, that would be honest. yours is honest aswell.
No, I thought your quote was directed towards me too. I was mistaken.

Btw, she is a girl.
Nov 18, 2015 7:46 PM
Nov 2015
mayukachan said:
Randoll_ said:

No, I thought your quote was directed towards me too. I was mistaken.

Btw, she is a girl.

Ah I see. No, he is a boy
Nov 18, 2015 7:46 PM

Jul 2012
Randoll_ said:
No, he is a boy

Why do you think that? I'm certain she is a female.
Nov 18, 2015 7:51 PM
Nov 2015
mayukachan said:
Randoll_ said:
No, he is a boy

A female wouldn't type the way he does.
A female wouldn't be a fan of female seiyuus but male ones
'Her' taste is too good for a female.
'She' pretends to like boys love but all her favourites are not
Nov 18, 2015 7:52 PM

Jul 2012
Randoll_ said:
mayukachan said:

A female wouldn't type the way she does.
A female wouldn't be a fan of female seiyuus but male ones
'Her' taste is too good for a female.
'She' pretends to like boys love but all her favourites are not

Sexist? I type like her sometimes. lol It's easy to type in her style.
I'm a fan of female seiyuus too. For the record, she's bisexual.
No, fuck you for thinking males have better Anime taste.
She reads several BL series and we've talked about it. She likes BLCDs and many gay ships.

Get out.
Nov 18, 2015 7:55 PM

Jan 2013
Well those people will never get a chance to own the Kara no Kyoukai blu-ray box set, its mine and mine alone.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Anime Clubs in College

Peach_Main - 37 minutes ago

4 by Zettaiken »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » Best Russian in anime

Catalano - Yesterday

30 by Zefyris »»
3 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

80 by Maumuu »»
8 minutes ago

» What are your thoughts on harem anime?

BuddhaIsBetter - 5 hours ago

31 by LostSpectre »»
9 minutes ago

» What old anime could become popular today?

W3TFT - Yesterday

13 by TheMechaManiac »»
11 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.