Forum Settings
Forums

Should argumentation and logic be taught in schools?

New
Nov 18, 2015 3:52 AM

May 2015
What I mean by these is the following:

- Logical fallacies and biases
- What makes a valid/invalid statement

And so forth. Basically, how to have a rational discussion that's teaching, rather than about defeating the other person.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Nov 18, 2015 3:56 AM

Jan 2009
there is just too much fallacies that i feel like everything we say are fallacious already

so no keep all those philosophical things to intelligent people that have better use of it

philosophy is more about questions rather than answers too

but if you are talking about logic relating to math then that should be taught especially on computer related courses and math majors
Nov 18, 2015 4:04 AM

May 2015
We had something similar to that. Not sure if it should be mandatory, though.
Nov 18, 2015 4:56 AM

Sep 2012
Yes it's called English class.
Nov 18, 2015 7:04 AM

Nov 2014
Yes, it should.It would reduce religious people by a lot.

Nov 18, 2015 7:31 AM

May 2014
I feel too many people are taught without understanding why or the logical steps to things so thats a definite yes.
I've been here way too long...
Nov 18, 2015 7:33 AM

May 2014
Yes said:
Just visit /pol/

Sheep fucker knows.
Nov 18, 2015 7:34 AM

Jun 2015
Yes
Nov 18, 2015 9:53 AM

Feb 2014
TheBrainintheJar said:

And so forth. Basically, how to have a rational discussion that's teaching, rather than about defeating the other person.

It's already taught in my middleschool or highschool, but it doesn't come as a separate course. It's embedded within English class.
Now I see the secret of the making of the best persons.
It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth.
-Walt Whitman

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
-Robert A. Heinlein
Nov 18, 2015 9:53 AM
Oct 2015
their needs to be sex ed class with real life exampls
Nov 18, 2015 10:15 AM
Aug 2014
Absolutely yes. It's frustrating when you waste time by accurately arguing your phrases/thoughts and the only answers you get are:
-it's like I say!
-it's not true!
-many people say x so x is true.
-fuck you!
-my (choose holy book) tells it hence it must be true!!111
-X did something bad so you're wrong!!!1111 (where X is a famous guy who supports what you're saying)
-you say dat but I believe dis!!!!11111 every1 can believe what they want!!!1111

In an ideal world everyone can use logic but I'm afraid that's an utopia.
Tho even if it was taught everywhere the situation wouldn't change in the slightest. I mean, grammar is taught in every Country I know and people still confuse "your" with "you're". Math too but many don't even know what an equation is. Most humans are just hopeless idiots :)
lvromlsNov 18, 2015 10:42 AM
Nov 18, 2015 10:16 AM

May 2014
They teach debates in our school, I thought it was fair enough :o
Nov 18, 2015 10:18 AM

Oct 2015
Argumentation is taught at most schools in my country, it's part of the standard curriculum.
Nov 18, 2015 10:42 AM

Oct 2012
Red_Keys said:

LOGIC is a part of ENGLISH class?
it's a part of math class where I'm from...

Nov 18, 2015 2:35 PM

May 2015
Moniisek said:
Red_Keys said:

I'm talking about informal logic.

Strawman, texas sharpshooter, ad hominem - such things don't exist in mathematics. They're mostly tools of philosophy.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Nov 18, 2015 2:44 PM

May 2014
AmericanDream said:
So basically learning how to argue like an asshole?

I prefer arguing with an asshole rather than with people that don't use logic in their arguments, since arguing with people that don't use any logic is a complete fucking headache.
Nov 18, 2015 3:02 PM

Jul 2015
TheBrainintheJar said:
Moniisek said:

I'm talking about informal logic.

Strawman, texas sharpshooter, ad hominem - such things don't exist in mathematics. They're mostly tools of philosophy.

Lol. Logic is considered to be mathematics by philosophers, so yes, things like strawman and ad hominem can exist in math in a certain sense.

I have some disagreements with Bernkastel but s/he's good at presenting his/her points.

Let's go over them then. Arguing with kobun and mayukachan is no different than arguing with a 12 year old honestly.

Katsucats and Bernkastel are both self-taught "philosophers" who read a couple articles on Wikipedia and a couple books and think they're professional philosophers with PhDs. When they come across a person with at least some formal education like me, though, it becomes really apparent how little they know.

I haven't been on this forum for too long, but those 4 users come to mind as really horrible debaters.
Nov 18, 2015 3:03 PM

Apr 2009
TheBrainintheJar said:

they have that in a lot of serbian schools
honestly no need for that imo
the again, it's a convenient way to boost your GPA
deadoptimist said:
Though I think shit-flinging should also have standards - no personal, no behind the scenes.
Nov 18, 2015 3:10 PM

Mar 2008
Some would just be obnoxious about it.
Nov 18, 2015 3:11 PM

Jan 2013
Sounds like a good idea, not many teens might get into it but it would be more useful than some other studies.
Nov 18, 2015 3:13 PM

Jan 2015
Red_Keys said:

Pretty much. You learn QUITE a bit of it in english class especially if you take advanced placement.
I do agree with the point OP was trying to make though. I took debate class and was in the club (got 3rd place in state for CX) back in high school and I honestly do believe that it should be one of the mandatory electives. I doubt it would end up effective, though, because you really can't force people to have the desire to argue when it's something that's shied away from in general even in it's docile forms (outside of actual debates of course).

Edit: Rather than a class for it it'd probably be better just to work it into your required Speech class if those are still required. I'm not even sure it's still required in my state though since I already graduated years ago.
Nov 18, 2015 3:16 PM

Dec 2014
Yes considering it can be applied to a number of subjects e.g English, Philosophy.
Nov 18, 2015 4:03 PM

May 2015
Yes, it should be mandatory.

Even if the student doesn't learn the material at least you tried.
Slightly Dangerous

Nov 18, 2015 4:10 PM

Jul 2015
AmericanDream said:
Chiki said:

Lol. Logic is considered to be mathematics by philosophers, so yes, things like strawman and ad hominem can exist in math in a certain sense.

In the context of math and something else, but not as proofs.

Chiki said:

Let's go over them then. Arguing with kobun and mayukachan is no different than arguing with a 12 year old honestly.

Katsucats and Bernkastel are both self-taught "philosophers" who read a couple articles on Wikipedia and a couple books and think they're professional philosophers with PhDs. When they come across a person with at least some formal education like me, though, it becomes really apparent how little they know.

I haven't been on this forum for too long, but those 4 users come to mind as really horrible debaters.

Are you ready to accept the challenge then?
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1446929

Yeah, not as proofs in formal logic, but it's still much more in place in a math class than in English class since formal logic itself is math and ad hominem and other fallacies can be described in formal logic.

Lol the posts by Bernkastel and katsucats on that thread are so ignorant, poorly thought out, stupid and uneducated.
Nov 18, 2015 4:13 PM
Dec 2011
Wouldn't that make sense?
Nov 18, 2015 4:16 PM

Jul 2012
Chiki said:
Yes, Casual Discussion is proof of it. Just look at people like kobun, mayukachan, katsucats, Bernkastel etc. they are all hopeless and clueless lol.
This is coming from the person who gives people mental disorder labels for disagreeing with your opinion.
Nov 18, 2015 4:17 PM

Jul 2015
mayukachan said:
Chiki said:
Yes, Casual Discussion is proof of it. Just look at people like kobun, mayukachan, katsucats, Bernkastel etc. they are all hopeless and clueless lol.
This is coming from the person who gives people mental disorder labels for disagreeing with your opinion.

I've studied psychology. I know a person is a sociopath if they think animals can't feel pain and so can't see anything wrong with killing and eating animals.
Nov 18, 2015 4:19 PM

Jul 2012
Chiki said:
mayukachan said:

I've studied psychology. I know a person is a sociopath if they think animals can't feel pain and so can't see anything wrong with killing and eating animals.
I've also studied psychology, lol.

You aren't allowed to give people labels because you studied a class.
Nov 18, 2015 4:23 PM

Apr 2009
Chiki said:
mayukachan said:

'sociopath' isn't even a clearly defined term in psychology yet lmao get out of here
deadoptimist said:
Though I think shit-flinging should also have standards - no personal, no behind the scenes.
Nov 18, 2015 4:31 PM

Jul 2015
mayukachan said:
Chiki said:

I've also studied psychology, lol.

You aren't allowed to give people labels because you studied a class.

kawaiiyuris said:
Chiki said:

'sociopath' isn't even a clearly defined term in psychology yet lmao get out of here

Just because a definition of a word is not certain does not mean we do not know necessary characteristics of it. No one knows what the word "free will" actually means, but we know it must involve the ability of making choices at the very least.

We know sociopathy has to involve a lack of empathy towards living beings. Look at any definition of antisocial personality disorder. Any definition will say that it involves a lack of empathy towards other beings feeling pain, lol. For example, the Mayo Clinic says "Those with antisocial personality disorder tend to antagonize, manipulate or treat others either harshly or with callous indifference." That's exactly how mayukachan treats animals.

Oh, and here's another person who needs to learn basic reasoning: kawaiiyuris. A resounding "yes" to the thread title.
Nov 18, 2015 5:05 PM

Apr 2009
Chiki said:
Just because a definition of a word is not certain does not mean we do not know necessary characteristics of it. No one knows what the word "free will" actually means, but we know it must involve the ability of making choices at the very least.

We know sociopathy has to involve a lack of empathy towards living beings. Look at any definition of antisocial personality disorder. Any definition will say that it involves a lack of empathy towards other beings feeling pain, lol. For example, the Mayo Clinic says "Those with antisocial personality disorder tend to antagonize, manipulate or treat others either harshly or with callous indifference." That's exactly how mayukachan treats animals.

Oh, and here's another person who needs to learn basic reasoning: kawaiiyuris. A resounding "yes" to the thread title.

i really hope you only took one psych class because if you're a psychology major then this is deeply, deeply embarrassing.
and there were no reasoning skills needed for my comment. i literally just stated a fact.
if you can't even grasp that concept, no wonder you don't know better than to throw around names of disorders
deadoptimist said:
Nov 18, 2015 5:14 PM
Jul 2018
We already do.
Nov 18, 2015 6:17 PM

Aug 2014
I thought it already is.
Nov 18, 2015 6:22 PM

Jun 2015
how do you manage to still make serious threads OP?
Nov 18, 2015 6:23 PM
Jan 2013
Yeah, i think students should be equipped with basic or fundamental philosophy. I facepalm when I read poor philosophical statements in Stephen Hawking's published works.
"How am I supposed to face the problem when the problem is my face?" - W.Lui

"A real man forgives a woman for her lies." - Sanji

"First comes love, then comes marriage, then comes adults flying through a portal in the sky." - NettoSaito

"I'm not a newbie it's just that I only registered a few days ago." - A newbie
Nov 18, 2015 6:23 PM

Apr 2014
looks like op learned some new words from reddit and decided to try it out on mal lol
Nov 18, 2015 6:27 PM

Apr 2014
MechaKiryu said:
I thought it already is.

In high school?

It's not in the US, and yeah it should be. Dear God man, it should be. The slack-minded assholes that come out of US high schools...
Nov 18, 2015 6:32 PM

Mar 2014
Deductive logic was one of my favorite classes. The specific subject matter might not be relevant to the average person, but it teaches an important method of thinking. It's similar to math, but most students in high school either memorize formulas or just don't try, at least with logic you need an understanding of how it works, although people will still be lazy just like in any other class.

You should have seen the debates in my high school they were pitiful.
Nov 18, 2015 6:37 PM

Jun 2013
They should institute logical insults, definitely.
Nov 18, 2015 6:39 PM

Aug 2008
In Portugal it's taught in Philosophy which is a mandatory subject in High School
絶対大丈夫だよ

Nov 18, 2015 6:43 PM

Jul 2012
Bernkastel said:
Olwen please. If you want to make a new account and start over, at least stop being salty over me and katsucats.
Oh that explains all the creepy threads about being naked. Ah, I get it.
Nov 18, 2015 7:02 PM

Jul 2012
Okay, I guess it's not worth paying attention to Chiki anymore.
Nov 18, 2015 7:31 PM
Jul 2018
Altairius said:
MechaKiryu said:
I thought it already is.

In high school?

It's not in the US, and yeah it should be. Dear God man, it should be. The slack-minded assholes that come out of US high schools...

Here in California the High Schools teach students how to develop arguments and support them with evidence from prestigous sources.

It's one of the more important things in English that they teach.
Nov 18, 2015 7:32 PM

Jul 2012
Red_Keys said:
Nov 18, 2015 7:33 PM
Jan 2014
Usually gets taught in classes in the United States called "Debate".

More topics from this board

» Is English your native language? ( 1 2 )

DesuMaiden - Apr 16

61 by KitsuFrost »»
34 seconds ago

» Anyone had a Drought Emergancy declared for their area?

vasipi4946 - 46 minutes ago

5 by TibetanJazz666 »»
6 minutes ago

» MAL Sakuga Club

aemnTheTroll - Apr 16

20 by DesuMaiden »»
8 minutes ago

» Are you e-famous? Are you an Internet celebrity?

DesuMaiden - Yesterday

33 by DesuMaiden »»
9 minutes ago

» Manga piracy website operator ordered to pay ¥1.7 billion to publishers

Meusnier - 9 hours ago

14 by DesuMaiden »»
10 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.