Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Nov 16, 2015 1:16 PM
Jul 2015
Objects don't reproduce
Nov 16, 2015 1:21 PM

Oct 2014
Evildragon16 said:
zombie_pegasus said:
Modern words like computer terms are typically standardized to male, but even then there are a few exceptions. Irrelevance is common in language.

I used to think English was easy since I grew up with it .When I started learning french and saw that the madness in it was just as bad I was shocked .

Personally I think English should be counted as one of the harder languages .
Market English is one of the easiest languages to learn to that level. English has by far the largest vocabulary of any language which makes it harder to master as a second language than other languages.

The French word "dessin", the Spanish word "deis" and the Japanese word "desu" can all be pronounced the same way. I would spell it out in English as "dace". I think tonal languages would be the hardest to learn.
Nov 16, 2015 1:22 PM

Jan 2009
zombie_pegasus said:
I think English should really have a gender neutral third person pronoun. Using the plural "they" for a single human that you don't know the gender of sounds awkward. Calling an animal "it" sounds rude in my opinion especially if you know the gender of the animal. It also feels bad to call someone "he" or "she" and guess the wrong gender.
Just use "generic He" for Persons. It's a practicable, traditional Way to refer to someone whose biological Sex is unknown.

As if an Animal would complain whether I use "das Huhn" (neuter) (the Hen) or "die "Henne" (female) (the Hen) to it.

Again, how often do you directly call someone with "he" or "she"? I would use "you" to refer to someone when speaking with him (generic He), but what about you?
Nov 16, 2015 1:25 PM

Mar 2008
zombie_pegasus said:
Noboru said:
I meant the Gender "Neutrum" (Neuter):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grammatical_gender#Overview

("it" and "its" in English)
I think English should really have a gender neutral third person pronoun. Using the plural "they" for a single human that you don't know the gender of sounds awkward. Calling an animal "it" sounds rude in my opinion especially if you know the gender of the animal. It also feels bad to call someone "he" or "she" and guess the wrong gender.
I use singular they all the time. English also lacks plural "you" except for "y'all" and "yous". Also its lacking in "us", "we", and "ours"that differentiate if it includes the person youre speaking to or not.

Noboru capitalizes his nouns even when writing in English BTW.

Noboru said:
Just use "generic He" for Persons. It's a practicable, traditional Way to refer to someone whose biological Sex is unknown.

As if an Animal would complain whether I use "das Huhn" (neuter) (the Hen) or "die "Henne" (female) (the Hen) to it.

Again, how often do you directly call someone with "he" or "she"? I would use "you" to refer to someone when speaking with him (generic He), but what about you?
But there is a generic "she"as well in some cases and genderic "he" sets up assumptions that a person must be male by default which could lead to problems in falsifying memories for crimes for instance.
traedNov 16, 2015 1:30 PM
Nov 16, 2015 1:29 PM

Jan 2009
traed said:
English also lacks plural "you" except for "y'all" and "yous". Also its lacking in "us", "we", and "ours"that differentiate if it includes the person youre speaking to or not.
There isn't anything you can't specify like "both of us (and ...), we..." or "me and the others, we..." or "you two/three...".
Nov 16, 2015 1:32 PM

Mar 2008
Noboru said:
traed said:
English also lacks plural "you" except for "y'all" and "yous". Also its lacking in "us", "we", and "ours"that differentiate if it includes the person youre speaking to or not.
There isn't anything you can't specify like "both of us (and ...), we..." or "me and the others, we..." or "you two/three...".
That gets a bit awkward for casual conversation otherwise people would do it. Hardly anyone does it except in writing.
Nov 16, 2015 1:33 PM

Oct 2014
Noboru said:
zombie_pegasus said:

"You" is gender neutral. "He" and "she" are third person pronouns meaning that they are used to refer to people who you are not directly talking to. Most people don't use the generic "he" and will get offended if you call their female friend "he".
Nov 16, 2015 1:41 PM

Jan 2009
traed said:
Noboru said:
That gets a bit awkward for casual conversation otherwise people would do it. Hardly anyone does it except in writing.
Normally, such Things are clear from the Context. If something's unclear, you can still specify it afterwards.

zombie_pegasus said:
"You" is gender neutral. "He" and "she" are third person pronouns meaning that they are used to refer to people who you are not directly talking to. Most people don't use the generic "he" and will get offended if you call their female friend "he".
Yes, and "you" is the Form you use when you address someone. How often do you talk with People about People you don't know about his or her Sex where your Conversation Partner knows about it?
Nov 16, 2015 1:45 PM

Oct 2014
Noboru said:
zombie_pegasus said:
Yes, and "you" is the Form you use when you address someone. How often do you talk with People about People you don't know about his or her Sex where your Conversation Partner knows about it?
Not too often, but it does happen sometimes. Usually I just call them "they" until the other person refers to them as either "he" or "she". Sometimes it can feel even weirder when you know their name but it's a gender neutral name.
Nov 16, 2015 1:45 PM

Mar 2008
Well that happens a lot though. Misunderstandings happen that way.

Does hair have a gender in any gendered language? That would get confusing.
Nov 16, 2015 1:47 PM

Oct 2014
traed said:
Well that happens a lot though. Misunderstandings happen that way.

Does hair have a gender in any gendered language? That would get confusing.
In French and Spanish it's male. It also sounds a lot like the word for "horse" in both of those languages.
Nov 16, 2015 2:05 PM

Jan 2009
zombie_pegasus said:
Not too often, but it does happen sometimes. Usually I just call them "they" until the other person refers to them as either "he" or "she". Sometimes it can feel even weirder when you know their name but it's a gender neutral name.
Just use what you feel most comfortable with. If someone felt extremely offended over some slight Thing like accidentally referring to a Person whose Sex or even worse "Gender" I don't know with the wrong Pronouns, then I'd immediately say goodbye to him.

traed said:
Does hair have a gender in any gendered language?
Neuter in German, but that's usually male in Languages with two Genders.
NoboruJan 16, 2016 1:01 PM
Nov 17, 2015 12:18 AM

May 2015
zombie_pegasus said:
Noboru said:
I meant the Gender "Neutrum" (Neuter):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grammatical_gender#Overview

("it" and "its" in English)

I agree about referring to animals as 'it'. I'm not much with animal rights but animals have gender and are not an object.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Nov 17, 2015 5:36 AM

Jan 2009
TheBrainintheJar said:
I agree about referring to animals as 'it'. I'm not much with animal rights but animals have gender and are not an object.
I would use the respective Form (f.i.: Tomcat for a male Cat or just Cat for a female Cat) and refer to it as a he or she, but if it's about the Animal "Cat" and I don't even know the Name or can't match it with its biological Sex, I use "it" in English and the respective, grammatical Gender in German.
Nov 17, 2015 7:42 AM

May 2015
Noboru said:
TheBrainintheJar said:
I would use the respective Form (f.i.: Tomcat for a male Cat or just Cat for a female Cat) and refer to it as a he or she, but if it's about the Animal "Cat" and I don't even know the Name or can't match it with its biological Sex, I use "it" in English and the respective, grammatical Gender in German.

Sounds reasonable. This should be added to textbooks.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Nov 17, 2015 11:50 AM

Dec 2014
We have that in Serbian. The ending letter will always imply what gender the object is. We have masculine, feminine and neuter. Their existance is justified because they're needed when the words change with cases, although some words can be of multiple genders because the ending letter which signifies the gender can be changed at will and will still make sense, it's just a matter of preference.
Nov 17, 2015 12:15 PM
Jul 2018
In my mothertongue,Slovak,they do.
Nov 17, 2015 12:20 PM

Mar 2008
I see no real advantage to gendering objects. I think it would be more useful to identify the object as liquid, solid, or gas in the word. Maybe identify an object as food or non food. That way even if its something someone has never heard of they have a vague idea what it is.
Nov 17, 2015 1:04 PM

Jan 2009
TheBrainintheJar said:

Sounds reasonable. This should be added to textbooks.
This is just traditional Grammar.

Nuvviveji said:
We have that in Serbian. The ending letter will always imply what gender the object is.
It doesn't work that well with German, but it's a similar Principle.
In our Language it's used to distinguish Homonyms like "der Tau" (male) = "Dew" and "das Tau" (neuter) = "Rope", analogous to "das Seil" (meaning the same Thing).
What Genders do the Words "Sun", "Moon" and "Bridge" have btw.?

DejWo said:
How many and which one is "Sun", "Moon" and "Bridge" respectively?

traed said:
I see no real advantage to gendering objects. I think it would be more useful to identify the object as liquid, solid, or gas in the word. Maybe identify an object as food or non food. That way even if its something someone has never heard of they have a vague idea what it is.
While that Approach would bring Practicability in the Usage, it would trade off the Beauty and Soul of a Language for it.
Keeping the Gender keeps the emotional Attachment to the Words like neuter Terms can be more often than not cute little Things when a Diminutive is used, female Terms can have their Elegance and male Terms their reassuring and soothing Intonation.
Nov 17, 2015 1:06 PM
Jul 2018
Noboru said:

DejWo said:

Sun is "it",in-between.
Both Moon and Bridge are male nouns.
Nov 17, 2015 1:09 PM

Nov 2011
in Portuguese, Sun is a "he"
each noun is assigned either a female or male article
o/um "male article", a/uma "female article"

ex: o sol "the sun", a casa "the house", um carro "a car", uma fazenda "a farm", etc.
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Nov 17, 2015 1:19 PM

Jan 2009
DejWo said:
Noboru said:

Sun is "it",in-between.
Both Moon and Bridge are male nouns.
Thanks, that's interesting, because it's mostly Germanic Languages that have Sun as "she", while Romance Languages and Welsh seems to have "he". The Gender in the Slovac Language fits exactly the Gender of the Proto-Indo-European Word.

So Sun has its very, very original Gender,
Moon has it like the Germanic Ending
and Bridge like the Romance one?

Just a few follow-up Questions, if you don't mind:
1): what's your very first Impression when you hear "the Sun" in your native Tongue?
2): same Question as above, but with "the Moon"
3): same Question as above, but with "the Bridge"?

This is what comes to Mind for me first:
Nov 17, 2015 1:20 PM

Mar 2008
Noboru said:
traed said:
While that Approach would bring Practicability in the Usage, it would trade off the Beauty and Soul of a Language for it.
Keeping the Gender keeps the emotional Attachment to the Words like neuter Terms can be more often than not cute little Things when a Diminutive is used, female Terms can have their Elegance and male Terms their reassuring and soothing Intonation.
Then why not just something to identify growing and moving objects? It would be applied to plants, animals, vehicles, clouds, ocean waves, rain, the planets and stars. It would be an indicator of a type of life without having to gender it and it would be fairly consistent in usage. It would still have similar effect.
Nov 17, 2015 1:27 PM

Jan 2009
traed said:
Then why not just something to identify growing and moving objects? It would be applied to plants, animals, vehicles, clouds, ocean waves, rain, the planets and stars. It would be an indicator of a type of life without having to gender it and it would be fairly consistent in usage. It would still have similar effect.
That's what Cases are for. Moving is mostly with "Accusative" (direct Object) in German, e.g.: auf die Toilette => to the Toilet and indicating the Place (Locus) auf der Toilette => on the Pot in "Dative" Case (indirect Object).

I think I've read about some Languages that divide Objects in animated and inanimated ones, but I can't recall it right now.
But then you couldn't impersonate an Object as a normal Person as easily as it would be with a designated, grammatical Gender.
Nov 17, 2015 1:33 PM

Mar 2008
Not necessarily. Personification is used in English all the time even though its not really a gendered language too much. People call an object "he"or "she" on their personal preference instead of grammatical rules.
Nov 17, 2015 1:43 PM

Jan 2009
Nov 17, 2015 1:44 PM
Mar 2011
in a few languages it they do
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Nov 17, 2015 1:59 PM

Jan 2009
DateYutaka said:
in a few languages it they do
There are more Languages with Genders than without.
Nov 17, 2015 2:29 PM

Dec 2014
Nuvviveji said:
We have that in Serbian. The ending letter will always imply what gender the object is.

Noboru said:
It doesn't work that well with German, but it's a similar Principle.
In our Language it's used to distinguish Homonyms like "der Tau" (male) = "Dew" and "das Tau" (neuter) = "Rope", analogous to "das Seil" (meaning the same Thing).
What Genders do the Words "Sun", "Moon" and "Bridge" have btw.?

Sunce, to sunce. It's neuter.
Mesec, taj mesec. It's masculine.
Most, taj most. It's masculine.

Basically if the word ends in a consonant it's masculine.
If it end with the vowel 'e','o' it's neuter.
If it ends with the vowel 'a' it's feminine.

This is for singular, different rules apply for plural forms.

EDIT: Also forgot to mention: In singular 'to' goes before a neuter world, 'ta' goes before a feminine word and 'taj' goes before a masculine word.
As for plural 'ti' is for masculine, 'te' is for feminine and 'ta' is for neuter.
UltvejNov 17, 2015 2:36 PM
Nov 17, 2015 2:36 PM

Jan 2009
Nuvviveji said:

Thanks, it's the same as with the Slovak Language, then, so I guess that the Slavic Languages have the same Genders for the same Things at least for those three Examples.
If you don't mind, what's the very first Association you have when you read or hear "(to) Sunce", "(taj) Mesec" and "(taj) Most" ?
Nov 17, 2015 2:44 PM

Mar 2008
Noboru said:
They can, but it feels fake.
Why would it feel fake when they give it to an object they love rather than just all objects?
Nov 17, 2015 2:50 PM

Nov 2011
Gendered objects have always come across as weird to me, but I wouldn't go as far as to call it stupid. Although they do make learning some languages a bother.

Hell, Finnish doesn't have gender-specific pronouns for people either: "hän" suffices for both of them. And even then it's rather common (albeit very informal) to just refer others (in third person) with our equivalent of it, "se".
Nov 17, 2015 2:54 PM

Dec 2014
Noboru said:
Nuvviveji said:

Thanks, it's the same as with the Slovak Language, then, so I guess that the Slavic Languages have the same Genders for the same Things at least for those three Examples.
If you don't mind, what's the very first Association you have when you read or hear "(to) Sunce", "(taj) Mesec" and "(taj) Most" ?
I don't know....'Sun' reminds me of being awake, 'Moon' of being asleep as for 'Bridge' it reminds me of having only one choice.
Nov 17, 2015 2:57 PM

Apr 2015
Isn't it like that for german and french?
Brace yourself.

Soon as LotGH 2017 comes out. The anime community is going to become so cancerous you will need to take cover and hide.
Nov 17, 2015 3:19 PM

Mar 2008
Kousoku11 said:
Gendered objects have always come across as weird to me, but I wouldn't go as far as to call it stupid. Although they do make learning some languages a bother.

Hell, Finnish doesn't have gender-specific pronouns for people either: "hän" suffices for both of them. And even then it's rather common (albeit very informal) to just refer others (in third person) with our equivalent of it, "se".
Finnish is both gender neutral and genderless as far as I know.

Is something like boyfriend and girlfriend or husband and wife gender neutral as well?
Nov 17, 2015 3:21 PM

Sep 2012
We need to stop objectifying female objects.
Nov 17, 2015 3:25 PM

Mar 2008
Are dildos masculine or feminine in gendered languages? lol
Nov 17, 2015 3:29 PM

Dec 2014
Dildo is masculine in Serbian .-.
Nov 17, 2015 3:45 PM

Nov 2011
traed said:
Is something like boyfriend and girlfriend or husband and wife gender neutral as well?
Nah. Nouns like that can be gender-specific as much as in English.

Related to that though, we do have a suffix -tar/tär which is basically English's -ess. It's not used nowadays when applicable due to gender equality reasons (I think), but ends up being necessary in some cases. It can also come off as kind of oldish imo.

EDIT: Going to contribute to this one as well while I'm at it, even if it's a bit of a tangent.

TheBrainintheJar said:
The gender-hiding is useful in literature. I once wrote a short story whose main character's gender is not known until midway through. You couldn't do it in Hebrew.
Twists like that don't mesh well with Finnish for an exact opposite reason: genders are easy to hide, but at the same time it's harder to actually reveal the gender. Whenever those kinds of reveals get translated they more often than not come off as very clunky.
Kousoku11Nov 17, 2015 4:14 PM
Nov 17, 2015 4:02 PM

Jul 2014
TheBrainintheJar said:
The gender-hiding is useful in literature. I once wrote a short story whose main character's gender is not known until midway through. You couldn't do it in Hebrew.

Actually, you could do a similar thing in Russian, but it would be painful - past verbs demand gender.

Each language has its specifics. I read a short story by a popular Russian author, which read like a love story, but it actually was about a cat, as it turns out in the last sentence. Wouldn't be that easy in English, cause cats are called "it" normally, in Russia the cat is female.

But I get what you're saying, I also find it relaxing about English sometimes.

[quote=Noboru]
traed said:
Does hair have a gender in any gendered language?[/spoiler]Neuter in German, but that's usually male in Languages with two Genders.

Yep, male in Russian.
deadoptimistNov 17, 2015 4:09 PM
Nov 17, 2015 4:09 PM

May 2009
worldeditor11 said:
My computer is a she. I just know it.

Same, the hole is just difficult to spot.
Nov 17, 2015 4:14 PM
Jul 2018
Noboru said:

Just a few follow-up Questions, if you don't mind:
1): what's your very first Impression when you hear "the Sun" in your native Tongue?
2): same Question as above, but with "the Moon"
3): same Question as above, but with "the Bridge"?

This is what comes to Mind for me first:

1. The source of light.
2. Beautiful full moon.
3. Long,elegant construction with many piers connecting two banks.
Nov 17, 2015 4:25 PM

Jul 2014
Noboru said:

Yeah, in Russian similarly:
солнце (sun) /sonce/, neuter.
луна (moon) /luna/, female.
месяц (moon) /m'es'ac/, male.
мост (bridge) /most/, male.
/c/ is not an /s/, but a combination, like /ts/

We have two words for the moon. "Luna" is the most used name, "m'es'ac" is for crescent moon, also poetic (the same word as month, btw).
Nov 17, 2015 4:27 PM

Jun 2015
Red_Keys said:

^ this tbh. Forget the male ones though. Those don't matter.
Nov 17, 2015 4:37 PM

Dec 2014
Ravioli_Ravioli said:
Red_Keys said:

^ this tbh. Forget the male ones though. Those don't matter.
Quite so. Better only to have the neuter ones so you can have more freedom of expression as a fluid.
Nov 17, 2015 4:58 PM

Mar 2008
I wonder if some countries have gender specific diets. Like someone will only eat male or female foods.
Nov 17, 2015 5:07 PM

Jul 2015
Languages other than Hebrew have feminine/masculine objects. I love it.
It's comforting to know that my guitar is a girl.
Nov 17, 2015 5:26 PM

Mar 2008
Dimethylanime said:
Languages other than Hebrew have feminine/masculine objects. I love it.
It's comforting to know that my guitar is a girl.
Can I touch your girl?
Nov 17, 2015 6:01 PM

Jun 2013
It gives objectophilia more sense.

Evildragon16 said:
Currently learning french .Yup it's damn annoying how object have 'Le' or 'La' tied to them .Worse still is that there isn't a set system for deciding which is which .

Here i found a tutorial to help you with that.

Nov 17, 2015 6:23 PM

Mar 2008
WTF vagina is male? ... well at least pussy is female, une chatte
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» Do you post your own original artwork onto social media?

DesuMaiden - Apr 10

23 by Lost_Viking »»
6 minutes ago

» Are you e-famous? Are you an Internet celebrity?

DesuMaiden - 8 hours ago

18 by Kenrin »»
21 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you live with regrets?

Lightskynight - 6 hours ago

11 by Lost_Viking »»
24 minutes ago

» Is English your native language? ( 1 2 )

DesuMaiden - Apr 16

52 by Oshieteoshiete4 »»
2 hours ago

» What do you think about law enforcement (police) in your country?

Sad - Apr 16

24 by bevarnow »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.