Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Nov 20, 2015 8:00 AM
Jul 2018
Noboru said:
FrancoGYFV said:
Well, in portuguese every object has a gender. There's no equivalent to "it", there's just "she" or "he".
Does Portuguese have an impersonal third Person Singular like in French: "on va" , English "one goes" ("you go") or German "man geht"?

No. Well, at least afaik
Nov 20, 2015 8:33 AM

Jan 2009
Shiratori-san said:
It's the termination of the word that matters. Like, if the word ends with "o", "i", "u", "ar", etc... usually is male, but if it ends with "a", "e", "ção" etc... is female.
Do the Words with the respective Endings have anything in Common like being from another Language, describing a Profession (-er Ending in German and English) or being a Noun formed of a Verb or Adjective with a specific Ending like "-ty" as in "safe" + "-ty" in "Safety" or "-ness" as in "sound" + "ness" = "Soundness"?

FrancoGYFV said:
Noboru said:
Does Portuguese have an impersonal third Person Singular like in French: "on va" , English "one goes" ("you go") or German "man geht"?

No. Well, at least afaik
How would you translate "you say" when the "you" is not directed at a specific Person?
What would be the Gender of Nominalizations of Verbs and Adjectives like "the Waiting" or "in the Green"?
Dec 2, 2015 5:44 PM

Aug 2009
Noboru said:
Olveparty said:
Yes, Norwegian uses gendered nouns. I never had a problem with it. It's not something you consciously think about whenever you use the language.
Does Norwegian have some Kind of additional, alternative Gender System like in Swedish or does it still have the traditional Male-Female-Neuter System in common Use?

What are the Genders for "Sun", "Moon" and "Bridge" and what spontaneous Associations do they invoke in you when you read or hear them in Norwegian?

I didn't see this post the first time around, time to revive this fine thread.

Norwegian technically still uses the Male-Female-Neuter system, but no longer to the point where you can consider it "common use". Mostly because the female article is pretty redundant and can be replaced by the male article. Though in case of female nouns you are free to choose yourself whether you want to use female or male article.

"Sun", "Moon" and "Bridge" are all male nouns. The only one that differs a bit is "Sun", because you can technically use the female article. "Sun" = "Sol".

"En sol - solen - soler - solene" (Male)
"Ei sol - sola - soler - solene " (Female)

Mostly because "Sun" is a female noun in Neo-Norwegian.

The most common example of nouns that still use the female article would be "Girl" (Jente).

"Ei jente - jenta - jenter - jentene"

Even here though, you can use the male article if you wanted to. You can also use the male article for the first "Singular indefinite" and then change to female article at "Plural indefinite". For example:

"En jente (male) - jenta (female) - jenter (female/male) - jentene (female/male)".

I hope that answers your question.
Dec 3, 2015 4:10 AM

Jan 2009
Olveparty said:
I hope that answers your question.
Yes, it does. Thank you very much; you're confirming what I've heard about the Norwegian Language from others.

However, there is something which is quite confusing in your Wording:
Norwegian technically still uses the Male-Female-Neuter system, but no longer to the point where you can consider it "common use". Mostly because the female article is pretty redundant and can be replaced by the male article. Though in case of female nouns you are free to choose yourself whether you want to use female or male article.
vs. "Sun", "Moon" and "Bridge" are all male nouns. The only one that differs a bit is "Sun", because you can technically use the female article. "Sun" = "Sol".

So, is "Sun" a male Noun or a female Noun and if it's a male Noun: what's the Difference between a male Noun, where you can choose a female Article and a female Noun, where you can choose male or female Articles? Aren't both the same?

Also, do you have any Preferences for "Sun/Sol" and do your Associations change when you use either female or male Forms of a Word?
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

» Are you e-famous? Are you an Internet celebrity?

DesuMaiden - 8 hours ago

18 by Kenrin »»
15 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you live with regrets?

Lightskynight - 6 hours ago

11 by Lost_Viking »»
17 minutes ago

» Is English your native language? ( 1 2 )

DesuMaiden - Apr 16

52 by Oshieteoshiete4 »»
1 hour ago

» What do you think about law enforcement (police) in your country?

Sad - Apr 16

24 by bevarnow »»
2 hours ago

» I'm currently on a keto diet.

scarydragon - 7 hours ago

8 by Zettaiken »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.