Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 14, 2015 12:05 PM

Jan 2015
Hello everyone! How do you do?
A friend of mine who is not too familiar with anime wants to watch one and asked me for advice. She wants a recent one, romance, not too many supernatural things (i love supernatural but it is for her so....).
Nov 14, 2015 12:14 PM

Feb 2013
how about shigatsu :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1zHU5puhGc (great eng cover from this opening)
My favorite quotes from animes:

Those who seek miracles will never experience one. The hand of salvation only extends to people
who try to make miracles happen. - Ef a tale of melodies.
I destroy worlds. I create worlds. - Code geass
We are humans. - Shinsekai yori
100 push-ups, 100 sit-ups, 100 squats, and a 10km run EVERY SINGLE DAY!!! - One punch man
Nov 14, 2015 12:18 PM

Sep 2015
Although it gets mixed feelings, Sword Art Online is usually a pretty good first anime for most. Has the romance, a bit of action and a decent plot.
Nov 14, 2015 12:37 PM
Nov 2012
I'd say let her watch one of these.

Golden Time
Kimi ni Todoke (+season 2)
Nisekoi (+season 2)
Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo
Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso
Sukitte Ii na yo
Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun
Toradora

These are all pretty good ones.

I'd def recommend her Kimi ni Todoke and Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso to watch.
Nov 14, 2015 12:39 PM

Oct 2014
My 1st and still the best for a romance:
Toradora
Avatar: Anzu Kadotani from Girls und Panzer.

Nov 14, 2015 12:53 PM

Feb 2013
golden time wouldnt be bad either actually
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0qQuMMKGyQ (opening)
My favorite quotes from animes:

Those who seek miracles will never experience one. The hand of salvation only extends to people
who try to make miracles happen. - Ef a tale of melodies.
I destroy worlds. I create worlds. - Code geass
We are humans. - Shinsekai yori
100 push-ups, 100 sit-ups, 100 squats, and a 10km run EVERY SINGLE DAY!!! - One punch man
Nov 14, 2015 1:25 PM

Mar 2013
Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso
Ore Monogatari!!
Lovely Complex
Chihayafuru

Golden Time is supernatural
Nov 14, 2015 2:36 PM

Oct 2015
Caik7 said:
Hello everyone! How do you do?
A friend of mine who is not too familiar with anime wants to watch one and asked me for advice. She wants a recent one, romance, not too many supernatural things (i love supernatural but it is for her so....).

This is not very recent (2006), but a really nice film with some romance, not fully "happy end" though, more open end.
It may be available in English dub (don't know) : The Girl who leapt through Time

It is also tagged "Science Fiction", but that is more for technical reasons, it is not what that film is about.
In case you wonder if that is not too "girly" or "childish" - I am almost 50yo, and totally like it.
BannoBunka_snorkNov 14, 2015 2:41 PM
*darn, using my right hand is off-limits for a while. Typing with my left hand only is ... eww.*
Nov 14, 2015 3:44 PM
Nov 2015
Try School Days
Nov 14, 2015 4:27 PM
Community Mod
ウェルカムチーム™

Feb 2014
Sukitte Ii na yo
Ao Haru Ride
Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso
Ore Monogatari!!
Maid-sama

GUIDELINES/FAQ
AD/MD RULES
CD RULES
CE RULES
STAFF
SET BY SENPIEX
Nov 14, 2015 4:45 PM

Oct 2015
+1 for Toradora
If she wants really recent she could try Akagami no Shirayuki-hime, it's a pretty nice romance from this year.
Nov 14, 2015 4:51 PM

Jul 2015
BannoBunka_snork said:
This is not very recent (2006), but a really nice film with some romance, not fully "happy end" though, more open end.
It may be available in English dub (don't know) : The Girl who leapt through Time

It is also tagged "Science Fiction", but that is more for technical reasons, it is not what that film is about.
In case you wonder if that is not too "girly" or "childish" - I am almost 50yo, and totally like it.

I really want to watch this one. Nice recommendation, but don't quote OP next time :p
Nov 14, 2015 5:22 PM

May 2012
For a straight-up romance with an adorable couple I suggest Akagami no Shirayuki-hime. It's only twelve episodes, though if she likes it, there's another season coming out next year. It takes place in pseudo-European setting with castles, swords, and the like.

Kamisama Hajimemashita is a cute romance between a high-school girl who becomes a shrine god and her fox spirit familiar. If she wants something with a Japanese flavor, this is a good choice. Some supernatural themes of course.

If she has any interest in classical music, then I strongly suggest Nodame Cantabile, a romantic comedy that pairs an arrogant but talented young man who wants to become a conductor and a somewhat ditzy but equally talented young pianist. There's an original season of 22 episodes and two 12-episode sequels.

Two shows with little romance but excellent female characters are Shirobako, about young women entering the anime industry, and Chihayafuru about a high-school girl who loves the obscure card game karuta and forms a competitive team at her school. This one is also fairly rich in Japanese culture.

If she eventually develops a yearning for something longer, I'll suggest Saiunkoku Monogatari, a romance set in a fantasy Asian land that looks a lot like T'ang China (600-900 CE). The heroine is one of my favorite female leads in all of anime.

Finally for a slow-moving but beautifully illustrated series, I suggest Genji Monogatari Sennenki, an adaptation of the famous thousand-year-old "Tale of Genji" by the Lady Murasaki. It is generally considered to be the first novel ever written. Lots of Japanese culture in this one, too, of course.

SeijiSenseiNov 14, 2015 5:29 PM
Nov 15, 2015 9:12 AM

Oct 2015
Clebardman said:
but don't quote OP next time :p

ok. :)
*darn, using my right hand is off-limits for a while. Typing with my left hand only is ... eww.*
Nov 15, 2015 9:18 AM

Jun 2014
alennor said:
Try School Days

Perfect setting right?
All credit goes to Sacred.

More topics from this board

» Anime similar to live-action action movies?

Skuletor - 9 hours ago

6 by Skuletor »»
50 minutes ago

» Looking for any recommendations really

TabonyBoy - Apr 16

9 by r3v3l3v3l »»
4 hours ago

» Planning to watch Sousou no Frieren

WitchDoc - Today

8 by r3v3l3v3l »»
7 hours ago

» 「 𝜗℘ 𝐚𝐧𝐢𝐦𝐞/𝐦𝐚𝐧𝐠𝐚 𝐬𝐮𝐠𝐠𝐞𝐬𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧 𝜗℘ 」(❀❛ ֊ ❛„)♡

RabbitS- - Apr 10

18 by Reina__ »»
10 hours ago

» Grim series for tonight

LoveYourEyes - Apr 1

14 by LoveYourEyes »»
11 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.