Forum Settings
Forums

Is Islam "The Religion of peace"? Informed Opinions appreciated.

New
Pages (8) « First ... « 6 7 [8]
Nov 19, 2015 11:14 AM

Apr 2015
CondemneDio said:
kiteen said:

Could you atleast show one piece of evidence that it's self contradicting instead of saying that every second line without backing it up?

God is supposed to be omnipotent, omniscient, and benevolent according to christianity.

If it is benevolent, why is there suffering?
a) It either can not stop it from happening -> it is not omnipotent
b) It does not care -> it is not benevolent

Then there's the problem of sin.
God supposedly created humans. Humans are sinners. God is the reason humans are sinners. God says sinners will not get to enjoy heaven. Is this benevolent? Not at all.

Just a few, easy to digest examples. If your definition of god differs from that of christianitys, these might not apply.

But yeah, all in all; if god exists, he's either an asshole, a useless tool, or an useless asshole.
I understand what you're saying, but I'm still waiting for an example of self contradicting in the bible.
hi
Sets
Last FM
Anime List
Manga List
Clue no. 2: Somewhere in one of the pictures in my forum signature.
Nov 19, 2015 11:21 AM

Jan 2013
kiteen said:
CondemneDio said:

God is supposed to be omnipotent, omniscient, and benevolent according to christianity.

God supposedly created humans. Humans are sinners. God is the reason humans are sinners. God says sinners will not get to enjoy heaven. Is this benevolent? Not at all.

Just a few, easy to digest examples. If your definition of god differs from that of christianitys, these might not apply.

But yeah, all in all; if god exists, he's either an asshole, a useless tool, or an useless asshole.
I understand what you're saying, but I'm still waiting for an example of self contradicting in the bible.

God is warmongerer/peaceful:
EXO 15:3 The LORD is a man of war: the LORD is his name.
ROM 15:33 Now the God of peace be with you all. Amen.

God is good to all/good to some:
PSA 145:9 The LORD is good to all: and his tender mercies are over all his works.
JER 13:14 And I will dash them one against another, even the fathers and the sons together, saith the LORD: I will not pity, nor spare, nor have mercy, but destroy them.

On wether god can be seen:
EXO 24:9,10; AMO 9:1; GEN 26:2; and JOH 14:9
God CAN be seen:
"And I will take away my hand, and thou shalt see my backparts." (EXO 33:23)
"And the Lord spake to Moses face to face, as a man speaketh to his friend." (EXO 33:11)
"For I have seen God face to face, and my life is preserved." (GEN 32:30)

God CANNOT be seen:
"No man hath seen God at any time." (JOH 1:18)
"And he said, Thou canst not see my face; for there shall no man see me and live." (EXO 33:20)
"Whom no man hath seen nor can see." (1TIM 6:16)

Need more?
http://www.evilbible.com/Biblical%20Contradictions.htm

Some of the points on that site are not good, but there's a handful or a hundred of good, simple contradictions.
Nov 19, 2015 12:42 PM

May 2015
CondemneDio said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

I'm not well-versed enough in Christianity to tell you that.

I still don't see any evidence that starts comparing the violence between the Bible and the Quran. I only have the links I provided. You're not making a convincing case here.

http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/cruelty/long.html

http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/quran/cruelty/long.html

I'm gonna post links too, then. You're welcome.

How can "Cain killed Abel" be compared to "We shall strike terrors into the hearts of the unbelievers"?
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Nov 19, 2015 12:51 PM

Jan 2013
TheBrainintheJar said:
CondemneDio said:

http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/cruelty/long.html

http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/quran/cruelty/long.html

I'm gonna post links too, then. You're welcome.

How can "Cain killed Abel" be compared to "We shall strike terrors into the hearts of the unbelievers"?

Since you're so fixated on that, let's not compare them.
Instead compare "We shall strike terrors into the hearts of the unbelievers" to "The "wrath of God" is on all unbelievers" (John 3:36) or "Thou therefore, O LORD God of hosts, the God of Israel, awake to visit all the heathen: be not merciful to any wicked transgressors" (Psalm 59:5). How are these two different?
CondemneDioNov 19, 2015 12:55 PM
Nov 19, 2015 4:19 PM

May 2015
CondemneDio said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

Instead compare "We shall strike terrors into the hearts of the unbelievers" to "The "wrath of God" is on all unbelievers" (John 3:36) or "Thou therefore, O LORD God of hosts, the God of Israel, awake to visit all the heathen: be not merciful to any wicked transgressors" (Psalm 59:5). How are these two different?

First quote - very similar
Second quote - no, not similar. 'unbeliever' and 'transgressor' mean different things. An unbeliever doesn't follow the religion. A transgressor violates the moral codes. Judaism has religious laws and moral laws, and moral laws are expected to be held by everyone (Basic stuff like no killing, stealing, and so on).
Nov 19, 2015 4:49 PM

Jan 2014
CondemneDio said:
kiteen said:

Could you atleast show one piece of evidence that it's self contradicting instead of saying that every second line without backing it up?

Did you miss that being demolished in the "Problem of Evil" thread?

a) humans have free will to commit good or evil. To prevent humans from doing so would make free will redundant.
b) God cares, hence solving the problem by making a way for people to become holy.

God is not the reason humans are sinners. The reason humans are sinners is because humans chose to be sinners.
"God says sinners will not get to enjoy heaven, is this benevolent?" Of course. Why should the holy get the same reward as sinners? That makes no sense. If you mean that sin should go unpunished, then that makes no sense either.

It's amusing to think that some are so gung-ho about God stopping evil, until they watch "Liar, Liar" and realize that that is what would become of their lives for what is perceived as the smallest of sins.

CondemneDio said:

God is warmongerer/peaceful:
EXO 15:3 The LORD is a man of war: the LORD is his name.
ROM 15:33 Now the God of peace be with you all. Amen.

God is good to all/good to some:
PSA 145:9 The LORD is good to all: and his tender mercies are over all his works.
JER 13:14 And I will dash them one against another, even the fathers and the sons together, saith the LORD: I will not pity, nor spare, nor have mercy, but destroy them.

On wether god can be seen:
EXO 24:9,10; AMO 9:1; GEN 26:2; and JOH 14:9
God CAN be seen:
"And I will take away my hand, and thou shalt see my backparts." (EXO 33:23)
"And the Lord spake to Moses face to face, as a man speaketh to his friend." (EXO 33:11)
"For I have seen God face to face, and my life is preserved." (GEN 32:30)

God CANNOT be seen:
"No man hath seen God at any time." (JOH 1:18)
"And he said, Thou canst not see my face; for there shall no man see me and live." (EXO 33:20)
"Whom no man hath seen nor can see." (1TIM 6:16)

Need more?
http://www.evilbible.com/Biblical%20Contradictions.htm

Some of the points on that site are not good, but there's a handful or a hundred of good, simple contradictions.

Hmmm......I don't know why I was expecting even the hint of a challenge for you.

1) To have peace is to deal with the unpeaceful, hence God is invincible in battle to achieve peace. There is no dichotomy between the two.

2) Different contexts of speech. It takes either willful ignorance or plain stupidity to miss that. God is good to all because everyone benefits from what he has put into the place. The sun shines on all for example. In Jeremiah, it deals with a specific group of people facing their punishment.
That is like saying that the laws of the U.S cannot apply to all its people because some of them are in jail for committing crimes.

3) Again, obviously different situations. No one can see God in his full glory, but God can condescend to take human form to protect people from being consumed by his full glory.
No one can look directly at the sun without going blind, but looking through different filters makes it possible, but the fact remains that you still aren't looking at it in its essence.

Got anymore? And hopefully better and not so woefully and deliberately dense?
RedRoseFringNov 19, 2015 4:56 PM
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Nov 19, 2015 4:53 PM

Jan 2014
CondemneDio said:

TheBrainintheJar answered the second satisfactorily, so I will address the first.

There is an obvious difference in statement, the first is a deliberate action, the second is the description of a state.
"We shall strike" means action is being taken, "wrath is upon" indicates that someone (God) is angry with another (unbelievers), but that doesn't indicate any action being taken about it.

A high school level of English language proficiency should be sufficient to reach that conclusion.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Nov 19, 2015 7:40 PM

Nov 2015
Nope, actually no religion is. Since religions were created long ago no one knows how they should really be interpeted. There will always be conflicts if there are different viewpoints. I am not saying that everyone should turn atheist, I am saying that as long there are conflicting views there will never be peace. As for Islam though, some sects of Islam are good and other more extreme/radical. You can view as a religion of peace, but keep what I said above in mind. Lastly, if anyone is wondering, I am Roman Catholic, and I am not trying to be bias.
Nov 19, 2015 11:18 PM

Jan 2013
@RedRoseFring
Keep up the apologetics. Your answers make ZERO sense to a person who does not believe in a god.
The wrath of god is also shown in the OT many times, as god burns down cities, spreads plagues and downright kills people with "his sword".
Nov 20, 2015 2:25 AM

May 2015
CondemneDio said:
@RedRoseFring
Keep up the apologetics. Your answers make ZERO sense to a person who does not believe in a god.
The wrath of god is also shown in the OT many times, as god burns down cities, spreads plagues and downright kills people with "his sword".

I don't believe in God but it makes sense to me. Both are harsh to unebelievers, but one tells the faithful to take action. The other tells them God will do the work.
Pages (8) « First ... « 6 7 [8]

More topics from this board

Poll: » strawberry, chocolate or banana milk?

bobbysalmon - Apr 17

21 by Vendicator »»
29 minutes ago

» How do you know other people actually exist?

purple_rayn - Yesterday

17 by ISeeLifePeople »»
56 minutes ago

» what is "love" to you ? what makes you feel loved and how you love people ?

ame - Today

17 by ISeeLifePeople »»
58 minutes ago

» What do you think about law enforcement (police) in your country?

Sad - Apr 16

32 by KenaiPhoenix »»
2 hours ago

» Are you a slow or fast typier on a computer???

DesuMaiden - Today

26 by KenaiPhoenix »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.