Forum Settings
Forums

A UN official finally has raised a real concern about Japan and Japan still goes apeshit.

New
Nov 9, 2015 6:04 PM

Nov 2008
The UN is damned if they do, damned if they don't, if they treat a non-issue about Japan like loli as an issue, they get owned for their tyranny, if they actually show concerns about a real life issue take this case on compensated dating and Japan still goes apeshit.

Source

Unlike loli which is harmless, compensated dating is bad and it often hurts teenage girls and Japan should not defend it regardless if the 13% figure the official said is false or not. The way it got defended, it may be even more than 13%.

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Nov 9, 2015 8:47 PM

Sep 2013
So how they did they get the figures? going around asking minor schoolgirls if they're prostitutes who do older men? (which is illegal)
Nov 9, 2015 9:01 PM

Nov 2008
ichii_1 said:
So how they did they get the figures? going around asking minor schoolgirls if they're prostitutes who do older men? (which is illegal)

It doesn't say but knowing the UN, I don't put it past them. It could just be a rough estimate as well, 13% is a bit low from how much I've heard about it, it's probably higher because peers (almost always female and HS aged) sometimes force unsuspecting girls into compensated dating.

Nov 9, 2015 9:02 PM

Jan 2009
well he did not show proof of where that 13% comes from, so Japan has a reason to rage
Nov 9, 2015 9:08 PM

Nov 2008
j0x said:
well he did not show proof of where that 13% comes from, so Japan has a reason to rage

They could've handled it better, launching an investigation over the practice could've debunked the UN easily for either an under or overestimation even though it would've taken a year or so to finish.

Nov 9, 2015 9:10 PM

Jan 2009
Hoppy said:
j0x said:

They could've handled it better, launching an investigation over the practice could've debunked the UN easily for either an under or overestimation even though it would've taken a year or so to finish.

ah ok i agree with that, eventhough the burden of proof here really is on who claimed that 13% practice compensated dating
Nov 9, 2015 9:19 PM

Apr 2015
Japanese perverted fetishes finally reach UN.

Japan should just ban tentacles, BDSM, NTR, rape etc in their anime.
#CHEXIT
Nov 9, 2015 9:23 PM

Nov 2009
j0x said:
Hoppy said:

ah ok i agree with that, eventhough the burden of proof here really is on who claimed that 13% practice compensated dating
Yes, as j0x pointed out. Burden of proof is on the one making the claim. It is not Japan's job to spend even 1 cent to discredit an unsupported claim.

Furthermore, the UN is the organization that appointed Saudi Arabia head of the Human Rights council. I'm not going to say they are complete retards but I mean . . . They aren't exactly a group of people I would assume usually has a solid grasp of reality. That is of course, in general, I have no idea if the number they gave was accurate with regards to compensated dating nor do I really care. The point I am making is that you should't give anyone the benefit of the doubt, ESPECIALLY not the UN.
Nov 9, 2015 9:54 PM

Jun 2008
lol hilarious news, even more hilarious when the numbers could be higher.
Nov 10, 2015 2:20 AM

Dec 2007
Pirating_Ninja said:
j0x said:

Yes, as j0x pointed out. Burden of proof is on the one making the claim. It is not Japan's job to spend even 1 cent to discredit an unsupported claim.

Furthermore, the UN is the organization that appointed Saudi Arabia head of the Human Rights council. I'm not going to say they are complete retards but I mean . . . They aren't exactly a group of people I would assume usually has a solid grasp of reality. That is of course, in general, I have no idea if the number they gave was accurate with regards to compensated dating nor do I really care. The point I am making is that you should't give anyone the benefit of the doubt, ESPECIALLY not the UN.
Correction:

The UN did not appoint Saudi Arabia to anything. It's position as head of a panel (NOT president of the HRC, just a panel that reviews people that work for it) came as a natural consequence of being in the HRC. It's a rotating seat determined based on simple protocols. The actual fault lies with the nations of the General Assembly, who are responsible for "electing" representatives to the council based on the regional system, and are also responsible for removing offenders from the council, which can be done with a 2/3 vote. The member nations from Saudi Arabia's region gave it the seat - the UN is only responsible for having a system that's so open to abuse. After all, the only nation that would ever pass a 2/3 GA vote for removal would be Israel, who would never get a seat anyway.
Nov 10, 2015 5:33 AM

Jan 2011
We had 13 year old whores in front of my school, the UN didn't care.
Nov 10, 2015 5:49 AM

Sep 2015
age of consent in Japan is 13 y.o. after all. Is it really illegal if they do engage in this practice I wonder
Nov 10, 2015 5:52 AM

May 2015
starlabbu said:
age of consent in Japan is 13 y.o. after all.

Wtf
Nov 10, 2015 6:12 AM
Jan 2014
EminemVEVO said:
starlabbu said:
age of consent in Japan is 13 y.o. after all.

Wtf

"The age of consent in Japan is 13 years old under the Japanese national criminal law code. However, all prefectures and districts have (largely similar) "obscenity ordinances" (淫行条例) that forbid "fornication" (淫行) with anyone under 18 years of age, but exempt sex in the context of a sincere romantic relationship (typically determined by parental approval).
The age of marriage is 16 for girls and 18 for boys with parental consent, or 20 otherwise.

On a sidenote Vice did a short documentary about the jk culture in Japan, including prostitution and other practices:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NcIGBKXMOE
elros75Nov 10, 2015 6:16 AM
Nov 10, 2015 8:27 AM

Jan 2013
Ever since that faulty cyber-violence report debacle, everything the UN says should be taken with a pinch of salt.
Nov 10, 2015 9:18 AM

Nov 2008
CaimTheJoyful said:
Ever since that faulty cyber-violence report debacle, everything the UN says should be taken with a pinch of salt.

A good reason why the Japanese government should investigate and not the UN.

Nov 10, 2015 9:24 AM

Aug 2010
Post some anime girls that probably do a bit of jk on the side.

Nov 10, 2015 9:28 AM

Nov 2014
Not a big surprise, Japan doesn't like to have people pointing out the fucked up things happening in their country. They should definitely investigate though.
Nov 10, 2015 9:31 AM

Jul 2015
Just replace Willie with Japan

Nov 10, 2015 9:44 AM

Mar 2008
I dont think the JK is bad in itself, just bad when its a front for prostitution especially when they are unaware of that is when its bad.

elros75 said:
"The age of consent in Japan is 13 years old under the Japanese national criminal law code. However, all prefectures and districts have (largely similar) "obscenity ordinances" (淫行条例) that forbid "fornication" (淫行) with anyone under 18 years of age, but exempt sex in the context of a sincere romantic relationship (typically determined by parental approval).
The age of marriage is 16 for girls and 18 for boys with parental consent, or 20 otherwise.
Thats not really much different than the US law of parental consent.
Nov 10, 2015 10:00 AM
Jan 2014
Yeah I was just trying to highlight the fact that in practice the age of consent is not 13 years old in Japan.
In practice you have to look at the Child Welfare Act and the Local Statutes to know what the legal age is. In Tokyo for instance the age of consent is 18 years old.
So yeah it's not that different from US law since the age of consent varies from State to State.
Nov 10, 2015 10:10 AM

Jan 2015
I just feel that most Japanese men are getting creepier and creepier these days
Nov 10, 2015 10:42 AM
Jul 2018
UN just getting smacked around like always.
Nov 11, 2015 3:28 PM

Oct 2009
elros75 said:
EminemVEVO said:

Wtf

On a sidenote Vice did a short documentary about the jk culture in Japan, including prostitution and other practices:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NcIGBKXMOE

I wouldn't trust Vice on it, especially when it was busted that they didn't do their research or simply falsely leading with narratives. You should read their article on Japanese idol industry and how they are trying to lead the narratives to smear on AKB48 reputation, even deleted some comments on their sites for speaking up about the real condition of the industry.
The most important things in life is the people that you care about
Nov 11, 2015 3:36 PM
Mar 2011
starlabbu said:
age of consent in Japan is 13 y.o. after all. Is it really illegal if they do engage in this practice I wonder

in mst prefcture is 18 but age of legal majoty is 20
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Nov 11, 2015 3:38 PM
Dec 2011
#TeamUN
Nov 11, 2015 4:06 PM
Jan 2014
azzuRe said:
I wouldn't trust Vice on it, especially when it was busted that they didn't do their research or simply falsely leading with narratives. You should read their article on Japanese idol industry and how they are trying to lead the narratives to smear on AKB48 reputation, even deleted some comments on their sites for speaking up about the real condition of the industry.

I'm not an expert on this issue but the documentary seems to raise a legitimate criticism regarding the jk culture in Japan and I thought it was relevant considering what this thread is about. I'm fully aware that the guys at Vice News are not without their own biases but there aren't really that many documentaries about this issue on YouTube.
If you could link these articles debunking the documentary that would be great I'm interested in seeing what they have to say as long it's not some sort of apologetic article about how Japan is perfect.
As for what I've seen about AKB48 there seems to be more than enough to criticize some of the practices of their management but let's not digress.
elros75Nov 11, 2015 4:33 PM
Nov 11, 2015 4:40 PM

Oct 2009
elros75 said:
azzuRe said:

I'm not an expert on this issue but the documentary seems to raise a legitimate criticism regarding the jk culture in Japan and I thought it was relevant considering what this thread is about. I'm fully aware that the guys at Vice News are not without their own biases but there aren't really that many documentaries about this issue on YouTube.
If you could link these articles debunking the documentary that would be great I'm interested in seeing what they have to say as long it's not some sort of apologetic article about how Japan is perfect.
As for what I've seen about AKB48 there seems to be more than enough to criticize some of the practices of their management but let's not digress.

Did you watch Vice only on their youtube channel?
Go and read on their own article on it:
https://news.vice.com/article/in-japan-teenage-girls-folding-paper-cranes-has-taken-on-a-very-different-meaning

Don't forget to read the comments section below. The problem with documentary is they are always one sided narrative depends on who's making the documentary and their agenda. Intentionally left out some details that does not fit their narrative while making a big on irrelevant one to paint the whole curtain is what they do.
The most important things in life is the people that you care about
Nov 11, 2015 4:54 PM
Oct 2015
AndyPow said:
I just feel that most Japanese men are getting creepier and creepier these days

They're extremely perverted though.
Nov 11, 2015 5:01 PM

Apr 2015
mugi said:

Age of consent means it's legal for them do it. And adult (20 in Japan) can't have sex with them and as people pointed out, it's much higher in most prefectures. Age of consent in germany and other countries is 14.

It's for the sake of "increasing" the population.LOL
#CHEXIT
Nov 11, 2015 6:13 PM
Mar 2011

were th out cry of you hoppy the great leftist you are baout the un not attcking the us over war crimes and illegal wars
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Nov 11, 2015 7:03 PM

Jun 2008
Hoppy said:
The UN is damned if they do, damned if they don't, if they treat a non-issue about Japan like loli as an issue, they get owned for their tyranny, if they actually show concerns about a real life issue take this case on compensated dating and Japan still goes apeshit.

Source

Unlike loli which is harmless, compensated dating is bad and it often hurts teenage girls and Japan should not defend it regardless if the 13% figure the official said is false or not. The way it got defended, it may be even more than 13%.

I really do not see how Japan is wrong here. They claim the UN guy has no evidence of what he says and they are right. There is no proof that 13% of girls do that in Japan.

Also is not really that big of a problem as you claim. This girls just do it by themselves because they are money thirsty so i is not like some big traumatic thing. People aren't grabbing them in dark alleys and violently rape them or something.
And even if this activity end up in some unexpected pregnancies, for a country like Japan that has problem of low child birth is really not a problem.
Nov 11, 2015 7:08 PM

Nov 2008
Monad said:
Hoppy said:

Source

I really do not see how Japan is wrong here. They claim the UN guy has no evidence of what he says and they are right. There is no proof that 13% of girls do that in Japan.

Also is not really that big of a problem as you claim. This girls just do it by themselves because they are money thirsty so i is not like some big traumatic thing. People aren't grabbing them in dark alleys and violently rape them or something.
And even if this activity end up in some unexpected pregnancies, for a country like Japan that has problem of low child birth is really not a problem.

Scroll up a bit, it's not always voluntary. Some are forced into it by their peers.

Nov 11, 2015 7:08 PM
Jan 2014
azzuRe said:
Did you watch Vice only on their youtube channel?
Go and read on their own article on it:
https://news.vice.com/article/in-japan-teenage-girls-folding-paper-cranes-has-taken-on-a-very-different-meaning

Don't forget to read the comments section below. The problem with documentary is they are always one sided narrative depends on who's making the documentary and their agenda. Intentionally left out some details that does not fit their narrative while making a big on irrelevant one to paint the whole curtain is what they do.

Thank you for the link. Vice News is not my primary source for news so yes I mainly just check out their YouTube channel when they actually upload a documentary and not some 2 minute clip. For instance right now they just uploaded a new documentary about the activities of Al Nusra in Syria.

As for the comment section in the article it does seem like there is quite a lot of controversy and in some cases exaggeration about that AKB group.
Like I said I just felt like linking that documentary because well there aren't a lot of them about the JK sub-culture available in English and I thought people might be interested even if it's not without flaws.
But you're right whenever its Japan some western media tend to go with the "Japan is a country of Perverts and pedophiles" narrative, while some fans of Japanese culture tend to act as if Japan was a perfect paradise, I guess you need to find a balance between the two if you want to be fair in your reporting.
elros75Nov 11, 2015 7:12 PM
Nov 11, 2015 7:28 PM
Sep 2013
elros75 said:

Thank you for the link. Vice News is not my primary source for news so yes I mainly just check out their YouTube channel when they actually upload a documentary and not some 2 minute clip. For instance right now they just uploaded a new documentary about the activities of Al Nusra in Syria.

As for the comment section in the article it does seem like there is quite a lot of controversy and in some cases exaggeration about that AKB group.
Like I said I just felt like linking that documentary because well there aren't a lot of them about the JK sub-culture available in English and I thought people might be interested even if it's not without flaws.
But you're right whenever its Japan some western media tend to go with the "Japan is a country of Perverts and pedophiles" narrative, while some fans of Japanese culture tend to act as if Japan was a perfect paradise, I guess you need to find a balance between the two if you want to be fair in your reporting.

you can trust individuals who live in Japan,a lot of native English speakers(like English teacher) who live in Japan have done AMA and those are much accurate than doccumentary/western media
those are only providing what people want to believe regardless of reality

After all,when an american who live in Japan do AMA,people do it for sharing experiences

when media portray Japan(including Japanese media) it done for the sake of please readers and it does not matter if it is reality or not

To be fair,a lot of bizarre English articles based off from gossip magazine in Japan,I guess that poor UN officer was fooled by Japanese gossip magazine which tend to write whatever catch People's eyes with zero research
umashikanekoNov 11, 2015 7:50 PM
Nov 12, 2015 7:22 AM
Jul 2015
The UN official had no business making up statistics.

I dread the Tokyo Olympics. I'm afraid they'll ruin Japan and force them to change their laws because of global pressure.
Nov 12, 2015 7:43 AM

Jun 2008
See...this is something that does need investigating and stopped if possible.

The possible exploitation of REAL underage girls is pretty horrible...

We all know prostitutes exists in every country....and I'm 100% for prostitution.

I believe if you want to sell sex for money....and both parties are consenting ADULTS....then go for it.

But underage girls or boys?

Obviously not.....even more so if they are being trafficked.
Nov 12, 2015 12:34 PM
Aug 2014
Pirating_Ninja said:

/thread

yes compensated dating is a HUGE problem in japan that absolutely gets completely swept under the rug

the un is till absolute trash that is not worth caring about in the least
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.