Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 21, 2009 4:49 AM

Oct 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
a nice short film, i liked it for what it was, but it could of been much more. also without much explanation of the characters, it had less of an impact on me. i guess there is a sequel so ill probably check that out.
Jun 8, 2010 1:31 AM

Feb 2008
didn't much care for the end of the last scene, it completely lacked the kind of impact the closing scene needs. if that's all they had then they should have ended it next to the bull.

I lost all respect for Angel and Carmin the moment I found out how they met, people like that are better off dead :/

so so movie overall, not enough happened to really call this a stand alone story though. hopefully the sequel will expand on things a bit.
Dec 30, 2010 4:43 PM

Feb 2009
Decent movie.I personally enjoyed it to some extent.
7/10

"Only the dead have seen the end of war".
~Plato~
Oct 4, 2014 7:40 PM

Jun 2012
This is what I want in a cycling anime series, not Yowamush Pedal. If only this was a series. . I liked it, besides having side characters that really weren't important and used up time.

Nov 18, 2014 2:32 AM

Jun 2011
Saburo-kun said:
This is what I want in a cycling anime series, not Yowamush Pedal.
I agree. I like/dislike YowaPeda, but this is what I want from a cycling sports anime.

I wish the sequel gets more into Pepe's character.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
May 9, 2015 4:04 AM
Dec 2011
awesome movie I love pepe.. and want to know more about him going to watch this and the sequel again ;3
Feb 8, 2016 1:33 AM

Dec 2009
I think this probably would have benefited from a slightly more clarified backstory, it would have been nice to have a deeper understanding of Pepe's character.

Having watched Yowamushi Pedal first it's hard not to compare the two anime. Demographics aside, Yowamushi Pedal, for as enjoyable as it was, would have been better with some of the realism and seriousness that this movie held. Obviously, cycling at the professional level is completely different from a high school level and Yowamushi Pedal wasn't targeted at an audience that would appreciate this amount of realism. I think Nasu: Andalusia no Natsu might not have appealed to a wider audience because there was a fair amount of focus on cycling as the sport it is and less exaggerated action that a lot of sports anime exhibit.
May 29, 2016 1:19 PM
Apr 2013
The animation in the sprint to the finish was ridiculous haha
Overall I think they really succeeded in making the race captivating and exciting, it was enough to make anyone into a fan. Anime is always like that, making things I thought were boring suddenly very interesting lol
On the other hand the backstory and the emotions, culture, side characters etc. were not very convincing (the dainty emotionless wife was probably the worst part lol, where have they seen any Spanish women like that), still I enjoyed this short movie a lot.
Another thing was that commentator who ended all his sentences in ne~~ he was hilarious ^^
Jun 20, 2017 1:43 PM

Dec 2015
The art style felt like a Studio Ghibli and Naomi Urasawa hybrid, I really liked it. The story wasn't bad, I'm glad that Pepe won first place cause it seemed like with this win he finally proved his pro status to his family. Overall it wasn't anything special, but the calm atmosphere and the nice animation made it enjoyable. 7/10.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Oct 23, 2018 1:37 PM

Oct 2010
I was surprised by the low rating and lukewarm reactions. I suppose people who find and watch this tend to have more exacting standards to begin with. I watched it right after https://myanimelist.net/anime/974/Dead_Leaves and would never have expected Dead Leaves to have the higher score.

About the giant wooden bull: it's one of many, erected all around Spain starting in the 1950's by the Osborne sherry company, to advertise their Veterano brandy. Originally it would have had "Osborne" or "Veterano Osborne" written on it.

https://www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/iwonderwhy/12245/The-Osborne-Bull---a-brief-history.aspx

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osborne_bull

Wikipedia contributors said:
In 1994 the EU passed a law that prohibited all roadside advertising of alcoholic beverages, and the bulls were therefore to be removed. By this time the signs were nationally renowned, so although some campaigners wished them completely removed to fully comply with the intent of the law, public response resulted in the signs being retained, but completely blacked out to remove all reference to the original advertisers. The Court eventually allowed these signs to remain on the grounds that they have become a part of the landscape and have "aesthetic or cultural significance", thus turning the bulls into public domain images.
Sep 23, 2019 11:46 AM

Aug 2012
This was a really nice short film. The HD version available these days also goes to show just how nicely animated this whole thing is too. Very nice for 2003 with some really great character designs and the cycling was so fluid looking.

I liked the story and I especially liked how realistic the bike race was, though I'm no expert. But the way it was presented definitely felt authentic and while not exactly edge of my seat tension I was definitely shouting "Go Pepe" in that final manic sprint to the line.

Definitely more to this story could have been added, we got hints of the depth and relationships of Pepe, his brother, Carmen and the past.

But I have to say I also quite enjoyed the understated nature of this whole film too. We got a peak into these characters lives but left all the melodrama to one side and instead focused on the single day, this single race and kept the whole thing natural. We got a peak behind the curtain but that's it and that's okay sometimes.

8/10
Sep 10, 2020 10:03 AM
Jul 2018
this is kind of the film definitely could enjoyed more had I known what's it going to be about beforehand. The film shockingly doesn't gives you all those character backstories approach that you would expect to connect with the characters rightaway and I appreciated the overall unique presentation and make it more standout than other films and memorable experience.

The animation was pretty nice too but wished it was lesser bright color tone which probably will blame hd transfer for that.
Aug 1, 2021 5:10 PM

Mar 2010
Well wow.. The brother and wife is shameless if she cheated with each other. Fun little film of cycling and another culture.
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.