Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Dec 19, 2009 7:48 PM

Oct 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Seriously, cute mini Zoro is cute. :)

But yay he's taken a step closer to becoming world's strongest swordsmasn. :)
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Dec 30, 2009 7:10 PM

May 2008
First time Zoro's Onigiri didnt do any damage, man that No.1 was strong, well now that he can cut steel Diamond would be an awesome next target

Awesome Sig by Lailide
Jan 3, 2010 9:43 AM

Mar 2009
Zoro is awesome.

Jan 14, 2010 3:51 PM

Jun 2008
Good heavens Zoro is epic. For all the flaws this show has, sometimes they're able to perfectly translate Oda-sensei's epicosity from the page to the screen and this is one of those eps. "What are you gonna cut next, diamond?" "Naw, that'd just be a waste of diamond." SO PINP.
Jan 16, 2010 12:41 AM

Feb 2009
Definitely one of my favorite one piece episodes, at least it's in my top 10, the fight, both characters and the dialogue... it was all epic.
Feb 23, 2010 7:34 PM

Oct 2009
I just find it funny that Zoro can only do what he wants to do when he's at the brink of death :P

This episode was so entertaining. Zoro sure knows how to have a brutal yet epic fight.
Mar 22, 2010 7:28 AM

Mar 2008
Zoro's battle was the best out of them all. I just hate how they forget Luffy for so many episodes. Now we have to wait for the return of Luffy! (Ok, they haven't said that yet... But there can't be One Piece without Luffy can there?)
May 19, 2010 6:46 PM

Jul 2009
Zoro's probably the strongest next to Luffy.

I'm impressed.

5/5
Sep 17, 2010 4:18 PM

Sep 2009
Zoro's shishou is so cool ^_^
Nov 13, 2010 7:28 PM

May 2010
definitely epic!
Apr 24, 2011 12:36 PM

Jul 2010
Omg Zoro is so cool, I love his fights! It was really nice to see him "power up" through the battle but I don't like it he always get cut up so much :( I mean can't he win (even once) without losing like half of his blood? :(
May 16, 2011 12:07 PM

Aug 2010
Zoro is the best tank ever!))
Jun 13, 2011 5:40 AM
Jun 2008
zoro is probably the only one of the straw hats who could have defeaten Das Bones
Jan 19, 2012 9:20 AM

Jul 2011
reaght said:
zoro is probably the only one of the straw hats who could have defeaten Das Bones

Yeah that's probably true, I mean who else could cut steel?
Jan 25, 2012 6:50 PM

Jan 2012
okay zoro is seriously too cool. he had me cracking up at his wit, wincing at him tanking through all the injuries, and inwardly whooping at his epic swordsmanship. at the same time.
May 27, 2012 3:33 PM

Feb 2012
I didn't really get how Zoro was able to cut steel, he's now able to sense stuff better but....yeah lol Zoro seems actually more powerful than Luffy at this point.
Jul 19, 2012 11:15 AM

Sep 2009
So how did he cut steel? But epic fight is epic :D
So many episode without Luffy!
Jul 27, 2012 12:27 AM

May 2011
shinki7 said:
So how did he cut steel?

He's Zoro, no other explanation is needed!
Sep 14, 2012 5:36 PM

Apr 2012
his tactic was pretty confusing... but my baby won the battle in one badass way c:
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 23, 2012 6:51 PM

Jul 2011
-Zoro is Officially my Number 1 Swordsman Character <3
Oct 12, 2012 9:39 AM

Oct 2010
Zoro's epicness as usual. I loved this bunch of individual fights a lot.

The ending has some awful Engrish, though.
Oct 21, 2012 3:10 AM

Mar 2010
I've still got goosebumps. That was so epic!

- Hey, how's it going, Zoro?
- Same ol', same ol', throwing buildings at the bad guys.

And is it against Zoro's code of honour to fight while not being half-dead?

5/5
Jan 17, 2013 7:40 AM

Jan 2013
It was pretty epic. Throwing buildings at the enemy :P
And he can cut steel... I bet there will be someone with a diamond skin devil fruit!
Feb 3, 2013 7:46 PM

Jan 2012
GodotCoffee said:
I didn't really get how Zoro was able to cut steel, he's now able to sense stuff better but....yeah lol Zoro seems actually more powerful than Luffy at this point.

I've been thinking this for most of the series. I mean yeah, he is only a more powerful opponent because he's using swords, but then again, Luffy is using a devil fruit. So nevermind. If you took away all weapons and devil fruit, Sanji would probably be the most powerful fighter of the crew (minus the fact that they haxed this episode by showing Zoro holding a chunk of a building). Anyway, Ironically enough, Zoro seems to be durable than Luffy half the time. Weird.

But yeah, I don't like how they're displaying Zoro to be physically powerful. Shouldn't that should be Chopper's specialty when it comes to fighting? I mean, give Chopper something unique. He can analyze, but it seems that every crew member except Luffy can.

Either way, this battle didn't entertain me much. Outcome was overly expected, and the thrown in flashbacks made it "meh". Glad to see Zoro has suddenly haxed himself to be even stronger. We need to see more Luffy now. This whole dry streak of not seeing him is annoying me...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 30, 2013 3:34 PM

Apr 2011
shinki7 said:
So how did he cut steel? But epic fight is epic :D
So many episode without Luffy!

I'm guessing that being able to hear the breath of all things is similar to the mystic eyes of death perception.

Basically how the eyes of death work, is that the person who has them, can see the weaknesses of all things (they appear as lines that the person can trace). With Zoro he can hear or "sense" it I guess.
Nov 17, 2013 1:30 PM

Nov 2013
I understood it as imposing your will into the sword. He can swing it as hard as he wants but if he doesn't will it to cut the leaf/paper then it won't cut it, but if he wills the sword to cut through steel he can do it. I'm not sure how that translates into feeling the breath or whatever of the objects or cutting through nothing.
Feb 16, 2014 4:02 PM

Mar 2008
How is this even a good battle? Zoro was getting beaten up for almost the entire time (his opponent was more impressive) and then he had a flashback and gained some sort of knowledge and can cut steel? lolok. Super lame. The other battles were much better.
Mar 7, 2014 7:14 PM

Feb 2014
Zoro is simply EPIC!
If you don't like me, acquire some taste
Jun 16, 2014 12:55 AM

Oct 2013
Zoro the best!

Aug 8, 2014 12:20 AM

Jan 2014
kenshin_sama said:
shinki7 said:
So how did he cut steel?

He's Zoro, no other explanation is needed!
+1
Aug 15, 2014 2:36 PM

Dec 2013
zoro ftw. hes my favourite male character
Jun 4, 2015 6:44 PM

Nov 2011
The lack of appreciation for this episode astounds me.

TripleSRank said:
Whoa, Zoro. That's definitely my favorite fight of his so far. I liked the tie-in to his past and especially the focus on his internal experience. That's not something we see often in One Piece. At the edge of death, everything becomes silent save for his heartbeat, and it is at this point that he discovered how to perceive the "essence" of different elements. Very cool.

This is the first straight-up fight that Zoro has had so much trouble with, excluding Mihawk. Buggy was literally immune to cutting; he fought Buggy's henchman wounded; he didn't have all of his swords when he fought the Mewban Brothers; he was wounded when fighting Hachi...

Mr. 1 is the first man to nearly defeat Zoro when Zoro was at no inherent disadvantage (again, not counting Mihawk).

Also, this is the first major improvement in technique that we've seen from Zoro so far. He's a bit better than a charging bull now.

For those wondering how he cut steel...

TripleSRank said:
"The strongest blade is the one which has the power to protect what you wish to protect, and to cut what you wish to cut. A sword that harms everything it touches is, to me, not a sword at all."

In other words, he's telling Zoro to look at his sword as an extension of his will. He used paper to illustrate because paper is something that could be cut easily- but, since he doesn't want to cut the paper, no amount of swinging at it will indeed cut it. Part of this is coming back to technique versus power. Zoro has always focused on power, yet no amount of power can defeat technique. That is why he could never defeat Kunia, and that is why he is almost hopelessly outclassed by Mihawk, who possesses both. (That actually makes me question what Mihawk meant when he said he possessed the strongest blade in the world: There may be a double meaning.)

Zoro had to stop focusing on power and "charging" to notice the "life" in everything around him. If he cannot perceive the life, then he cannot take said life (which is to say, he cannot cut it). It is no coincidence that he learned to cut steel with a one-sword technique. He needs to be able to use his sword as an extension of his will, rather than merely swinging it.

I'm not sure if my explanation made any more sense, but that's how I understood it.

On another note, this development (like many others) is very interesting in hindsight.

For those wondering what makes this development interesting in the long run (major spoilers):

TripleSRankJun 4, 2015 6:48 PM
Jun 16, 2015 9:35 PM
Jun 2015
Zoro want totally went to badass mode right there! Go Zoro!
Jun 24, 2015 9:50 AM

May 2014
Great episode!
The build up to that final slash was fenomenal, nice flashback too.
Dec 19, 2015 7:47 AM

Mar 2014
Holy shit that was cool! Zoro continues to be my favorite character of the bunch.
::End of Transmission::

Feb 19, 2016 4:43 AM
Nov 2013
So good fight! 5/5!
Mar 23, 2016 3:49 PM

Jun 2015
Zore getting power becoming stronger EPIC

Jul 14, 2016 9:25 PM

Mar 2015
Badass Zoro is so badass as usual!!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Feb 5, 2017 10:47 AM

May 2014
That was pretty awesome.
Zoro always gets so wrecked in his battles though...all that blood loss!

Was definitely weird seeing him wreck someone with just one sword drawn though.
Feb 7, 2017 9:46 AM

Dec 2016
DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN ZORO!
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Mar 27, 2017 3:24 PM

Oct 2016
Zoro is officialy a cheater, first he takes like 0 HP from the boss with each hit, then he levels up in the middle of the battle and then one-hit kills the boss.

I CALL HACKS
Apr 6, 2017 1:03 AM

Mar 2012
The plot armor is strong in this arc for the Strawhats like dam, I think Zoro is badass but come on now. He was clearly out for the count after Mr. 1's attack on him while he couldn't defend himself.
Feb 25, 2018 2:25 AM

Jun 2016
I think plot armor has to be in context to the character. Someone like Zoro has constantly shown that his endurance and resolve allows his flesh body to take much more than steel could. Or in the case of Arlong, much more than something that much superior to a human could. In both cases these superior bodied creatures were scared when they saw how long Zoro could go on. I distinctly remember Arlong being scared as hell when he saw that Zoro was fighting him to the degree he was with the Mihawk wound nearly cutting him in half. When he noticed he knew that he had to kill Zoro right then cause he did not want to deal with him at full strength. A fight like Nami's where to win she got a weapon that was never seen before right before it, Ms. Doublefinger went completely easy on her and didn't try to kill her or defend against her in a serious way the whole fight is much more plot armor, or perhaps convenience than something like Zoro pertaining to what he's been characterized as. The second he got up and dodged those rocks I knew there was no 2nd episode in this fight, I knew for a fact Mr.1 was going to be cut up in one slash. Zoro is husbando.

I loved this fight honestly. The banter between both Mr.1 and Zoro having some form of respect and rivalry that ended with Mr.1 happily accepting his loss and chuckling at Zoro's remark about cutting a diamond being a waste was a delight. The one thing that bothered me was that I didn't fully understand what he had learned that gave him the ability to win, but upon reading @TripleSRank's amazing post I'm absolutely happy with everything that occurred. He learned a lesson on technique and willpower rather than raw strength and resolve. It partially came out due to him being so near death that everything slowed down and he was able to realize. That's awesome and it's probably one of the most beneficial things he's learned all anime.

Although I still prefer Usopp and Choppers fight this one is easily the second best in this arc so far and one of the best overall(even if it was a little too anime for my taste with the cutting buildings and all lol).

Great new ED. "SHINING RAY, FIND A BRAAAANNND NEW WAY~"
May 18, 2018 3:16 PM

Jun 2017
Now the prime focus is gonna be to stop Crocodile,Nami Usopp Sanji their fight is done but Zoro's fight tho I recon he's gonna surpass and go on another level yo.
CHECK OUT YOUTUBE CHANNEL FOR GREATNESS : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjBB704NbCItpMA7VhSQmQg
Mar 31, 2019 7:30 PM
Aug 2017
Maaan, why does Zoro gets most fucked up damage every fight?? Hes a badass mf. He achieved ultra instict ! xd but for real though this is the best fight in the Arc so far.
Mar 31, 2019 7:33 PM
Aug 2017
TripleSRank said:
The lack of appreciation for this episode astounds me.

TripleSRank said:
Whoa, Zoro. That's definitely my favorite fight of his so far. I liked the tie-in to his past and especially the focus on his internal experience. That's not something we see often in One Piece. At the edge of death, everything becomes silent save for his heartbeat, and it is at this point that he discovered how to perceive the "essence" of different elements. Very cool.

This is the first straight-up fight that Zoro has had so much trouble with, excluding Mihawk. Buggy was literally immune to cutting; he fought Buggy's henchman wounded; he didn't have all of his swords when he fought the Mewban Brothers; he was wounded when fighting Hachi...

Mr. 1 is the first man to nearly defeat Zoro when Zoro was at no inherent disadvantage (again, not counting Mihawk).

Also, this is the first major improvement in technique that we've seen from Zoro so far. He's a bit better than a charging bull now.

For those wondering how he cut steel...

TripleSRank said:
"The strongest blade is the one which has the power to protect what you wish to protect, and to cut what you wish to cut. A sword that harms everything it touches is, to me, not a sword at all."

In other words, he's telling Zoro to look at his sword as an extension of his will. He used paper to illustrate because paper is something that could be cut easily- but, since he doesn't want to cut the paper, no amount of swinging at it will indeed cut it. Part of this is coming back to technique versus power. Zoro has always focused on power, yet no amount of power can defeat technique. That is why he could never defeat Kunia, and that is why he is almost hopelessly outclassed by Mihawk, who possesses both. (That actually makes me question what Mihawk meant when he said he possessed the strongest blade in the world: There may be a double meaning.)

Zoro had to stop focusing on power and "charging" to notice the "life" in everything around him. If he cannot perceive the life, then he cannot take said life (which is to say, he cannot cut it). It is no coincidence that he learned to cut steel with a one-sword technique. He needs to be able to use his sword as an extension of his will, rather than merely swinging it.

I'm not sure if my explanation made any more sense, but that's how I understood it.

On another note, this development (like many others) is very interesting in hindsight.

For those wondering what makes this development interesting in the long run (major spoilers):

That was a good explanation, you explained it well man.
Dec 18, 2019 6:26 AM

May 2016
The injuries Zoro suffered throughout the duration of this fight were horrendous. Having a whole building crumble over him, getting his stomach sliced around a hundred times by a drill made out of blades in addition to the other cuts in his body... As sturdy as he is, I hope that he won't have to exert himself any further than that.

I'll chalk up his sudden mastery of finding the rhythm of things as a case of showing unparalled concentration.

Apr 20, 2020 12:41 PM
Dec 2019
Again, some suspension of disbelief, but this is easily the best match of the agent fights so far. And, incidentally, the shortest. Taking care of business.

Also... can we take a moment to acknowledge that Zoro lifted and threw a house...?
Nov 27, 2020 2:08 PM
Jul 2015
I get that Zoro is cool and all, but srsly, did the man just picked up a whole building and threw it away?
Maybe that's just foreshadowing something, whatever.

Still a good episode, my favorite fight in this mini "boss battle" arc for sure, I mean Usopp's and Chopper's fight was stupid tbh, Sanji's fight was ok (had some stupid moments like Sanji didn't want to hit Nami's face but that's understandable cuz memes), and Nami's fight was just weird scientific bullshit

But this arc is dragging for too long at this point IMO
Dec 11, 2020 4:11 PM

Jan 2019
That was hype as fuck. This is why Zoro is one of my favorites
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » One Piece Episode 402 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Ishmael - May 24, 2009

82 by gannoncannon55 »»
8 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 401 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Ishmael - May 16, 2009

73 by gannoncannon55 »»
9 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 400 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Miked - May 9, 2009

135 by gannoncannon55 »»
9 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 399 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Faded_Star - Feb 14, 2009

92 by gannoncannon55 »»
9 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 398 Discussion ( 1 2 )

HydraA - Apr 26, 2009

95 by gannoncannon55 »»
10 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.