Forum Settings
Forums

Aren't 2D girls/guys technically better looking than 3D?

New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Oct 30, 2015 5:05 PM

Nov 2014
#qualitythread

Oct 30, 2015 5:10 PM

Mar 2015
ExTamplier said:
#qualitythread
so, you are on which side?
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Oct 30, 2015 5:19 PM

Aug 2015
I think they are. But I'm a socially stunted shut in, so...
Oct 30, 2015 5:52 PM

Nov 2014
absentminded said:
ExTamplier said:
#qualitythread
so, you are on which side?
A little bit of both.

Oct 30, 2015 7:32 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
Short answer: yes.
Oct 30, 2015 8:42 PM

Nov 2008
2D>3D

Even real life people who have goddess tier beauty like Kanna Hashimoto and Nana Mizuki usually can't beat their 2D likenesses.

Oct 30, 2015 9:01 PM

Sep 2015
This woulda made an interesting poll.

I would guess 2D would be an outright winner on MAL.

I don't know about 'technically' more appealing, it's the technical bit they lose out on - Can you enjoy a nice cup of tea made by your Waifu?

But yes, for what it's worth, fantasy is going to win out over reality every time, probably.
Oct 30, 2015 10:38 PM

Nov 2012
Oct 30, 2015 11:21 PM

Jul 2011
No.

If you probably knew how the inside of a vagina felt you wouldn't come up with this sh!t
Oct 30, 2015 11:23 PM
May 2015
Yes. Yes they are.
Oct 31, 2015 1:53 AM

Mar 2012
Of course they are

Oct 31, 2015 2:23 AM
Mar 2014
Extreme3708 said:
No.

If you probably knew how the inside of a vagina felt you wouldn't come up with this sh!t

i still find 2d girls more attractive than real ones
lmao
Rinth said:
Every opinion is not equal. Some opinions are simply made out of shit.

nasuverse > your favorite anime
Oct 31, 2015 7:20 PM

Feb 2015
"Appealing"...well, everyone loves realism, the problem is determining what should be realistic and how it should be realistic.

We find anime/cartoon characters beautiful because we accept their styles. If anime/cartoon were real, they would be disturbing.
Anime/cartoon characters are beautiful because of its art style, we accept its surrealism. We need to "convert" them into real people in order to find them beautiful in the real world.
Realistic characters are beautiful not only in their own universe but others too (2D, 3D and reality).
In contrast, realistic characters can't be as moe/kawaii/cute/loli/ecchi as some people want them to be. They have to be realistic enough to not be a "monster".But, they still can be tender, warm, funny, passionate...there are a lot of feelings moe/kawaii/ecchi/loli doesn't explore.
Oct 31, 2015 9:41 PM

Oct 2015
bakanonbaka said:
This woulda made an interesting poll.
I would guess 2D would be an outright winner on MAL.

I don't know about 'technically' more appealing, it's the technical bit they lose out on - Can you enjoy a nice cup of tea made by your Waifu?

But yes, for what it's worth, fantasy is going to win out over reality every time, probably.

And this is why this could have been an interesting discussion.

This is actually the first time - but I'm new, and not looking into every topic - that I am somewhat disappointed by MAL community, wasting this could-actually-be-interesting topic to "let's-spam-the-hell-out-of-it".
:(

DuskSunDawn said:

I am not sure what exactly you wanted to get across (very late night here), but appreciate it anyway as as an attempt to actually discuss this, and provide examples and such. :thumbsup:

------------------
on topic - first thing that came to my mind was WALL-E and EVA/ EVE. Those are not anime, but 3d, and to me they are very appealing.

I'd go as far and say WALL-E is as much the legitimate 28th century successor (moe version :D) to Donald Duck as EVE/ EVA is the legitimate 28th century successor to (Core Design's) Lara Croft (3d herself, yet very oldschool 3d).
And yet both are much more than just that - and totally adorable.

Just in case you don't know WALL-E/ EVA (EVE)
This is one of my preferred desktop backgrounds : EVE (reminding me of "oldschool" Lara) shoot first, ask question later! :D
[spoiler]
[spoiler]
BannoBunka_snorkOct 31, 2015 9:49 PM
*darn, using my right hand is off-limits for a while. Typing with my left hand only is ... eww.*
Oct 31, 2015 9:53 PM

Jul 2011
I don't think there's anything inherently more appealing about fictional or real life characters. I personally do like anime characters better on the whole but it varies greatly with how much I like the art style... I generally don't find IRL people attractive that other people seem to think are hot (especially when it comes to things like the Top 100 Sexiest Men lists, the vast majority of them are just bleh to me; I'm more likely to find women and androgynous-looking people attractive though). I've also heard some folks say that there are personality traits that they like in anime characters that they would hate in people IRL.
previously UnhappyRefrain - non-binary - they/them - California
Tumblr - Twitter - Youtube - DeviantArt
old sig
Oct 31, 2015 10:07 PM

Jul 2013
2D ANIME GIRLS CAN BE REAL DON'T LET MY DREAMS DIE

Nov 1, 2015 1:01 AM

Apr 2014
No.
Nov 1, 2015 3:21 AM
May 2015
*wrong thread*
FizixNov 1, 2015 3:32 AM
Shameless plugging a review site I help out with: http://www.almostmainstream.net
Nov 1, 2015 3:24 AM

Jun 2014
Obviously. They're drawn to be bombshells and have a personality as well. Unless you're a 7/10 in real, they're better.
Nov 1, 2015 3:49 AM

Apr 2014
DuskSunDawn said:
"Appealing"...well, everyone loves realism, the problem is determining what should be realistic and how it should be realistic.

We find anime/cartoon characters beautiful because we accept their styles. If anime/cartoon were real, they would be disturbing.
Anime/cartoon characters are beautiful because of its art style, we accept its surrealism. We need to "convert" them into real people in order to find them beautiful in the real world.
Realistic characters are beautiful not only in their own universe but others too (2D, 3D and reality).
In contrast, realistic characters can't be as moe/kawaii/cute/loli/ecchi as some people want them to be. They have to be realistic enough to not be a "monster".But, they still can be tender, warm, funny, passionate...there are a lot of feelings moe/kawaii/ecchi/loli doesn't explore.

They look disgusting exactly because they were converted. If they were given physical form exactly as they look in anime, then I am pretty sure people would prefer them.

UnhappyRefrain said:
I generally don't find IRL people attractive that other people seem to think are hot (especially when it comes to things like the Top 100 Sexiest Men lists, the vast majority of them are just bleh to me;
Yeah, I don't get some people's taste. Maybe, anime just raises your standards. The littlest of flaws or differences will annoy you.

However, I do still find some people attractive. I think I've come across 3 10/10s in my entire life and a few 9s. It's just rare to find that perfect person.

Extreme3708 said:
No.

Once again, it's a question purely of physical appearance. lol
Nov 1, 2015 3:53 AM

Mar 2015
Extreme3708 said:
No.

Foolishness, mai waifu is above such carnal desires.
Nov 1, 2015 6:40 AM

Apr 2011
sadpwner said:
Fintan said:

That's true, but there's too many things that 2D doesn't offer. Even something as simple as holding hands or a hug, that already would overpower them not being flawless like anime characters.

I am talking purely about physical appearance so that's irrelevant in this topic.

Well.... You didn't make it clear at all that it was ONLY about their "physical" appearance(pretty shallow OP...) You said their "appeal", and are even arguing in other comments about how if they were transferred into real life just as they are in anime "most would prefer them"....

Yet what i said is irrelevant...

I don't even agree that their physical appearance is better. If we're comparing good looking characters with good looking people... That's the fair way to do it, you can't compare ugly or even average people with great looking characters, you'd have to compare them to the ugly-average anime characters...

Eye's

Overall
FintanNov 1, 2015 6:46 AM
Nov 1, 2015 6:59 AM
Mar 2014
Fintan said:
sadpwner said:

I am talking purely about physical appearance so that's irrelevant in this topic.

Well.... You didn't make it clear at all that it was ONLY about their "physical" appearance(pretty shallow OP...) You said their "appeal", and are even arguing in other comments about how if they were transferred into real life just as they are in anime "most would prefer them"....

I don't even agree that their physical appearance is better. If we're comparing good looking characters with good looking people... That's the fair way to do it, you can't compare ugly or even average people with great looking characters, you'd have to compare them to the ugly-average anime characters...

Eye's

Overall

OP isn't asking what you'd prefer
he's asking what's more attractive
and honestly, i enjoy looking at this

much more than at this
omfgplzstopNov 1, 2015 7:31 AM
Rinth said:
Every opinion is not equal. Some opinions are simply made out of shit.

nasuverse > your favorite anime
Nov 1, 2015 7:07 AM

Apr 2014
not really. I mean, I'm not attracted to 2D in the slightest.
Nov 1, 2015 7:14 AM

Apr 2011
omfgplzstop said:
Fintan said:

Eye's

Overall

OP isn't asking what you'd prefer
he's asking what's more attractive
and honestly, i enjoy looking at this

"OP isn't asking what you'd prefer
he's asking what's more attractive".....

I answered both... I think you guys fapping to cartoons is starting hurt your brains.

Also, again, it said what's more appealing... I find real girls more appealing... For all the reasons I mentioned and many more. I think most of you choose "2d>3d" because it allows you to say you like little girls without quite as much uproar...

I made it clear, I prefer the look of real eyes to huge cartoony eyes. Especially if we're talking about what's attractive/sexy.

Real is always more attractive.

Do you only fap to hentai/anime? That's seriously weird in my opinion.
Nov 1, 2015 7:15 AM

Mar 2015
i'd like to see 3d girls top this

tbh I find both attractive. Both have their upsides. The real one, ofc, being well, real.
Nov 1, 2015 7:27 AM

Aug 2015
Well...yeah. No fucking shit. They're drawn to be attractive. If they weren't I and other people wouldn't be able to fap to them (hentai).
Nov 1, 2015 8:41 AM

Nov 2012
OneTrueEmiya said:
i'd like to see 3d girls top this

tbh I find both attractive. Both have their upsides. The real one, ofc, being well, real.

She's fine but she's no Aoko Aozaki
Nov 1, 2015 9:27 AM

Jun 2015
Kruzy said:
Cabron said:
Can't penetrate it m8.

Implying that people here have a chance with 3D.
hahahahahaha
mayukachan said:
ichii_1 said:
2d won't dump you for a bigger cock.
true. the cock is the most important aspect in a man after all
finally, a woman admits the truth
ichii_1 said:
2d won't dump you for a bigger cock.
let me introduce you to the world of NTR
Nov 1, 2015 5:38 PM

Oct 2015
Hm.

I wonder do I misunderstand the word "appealing" in itself, or is it that OP misused it and should instead have used sth. along the line of "hot" ?
*darn, using my right hand is off-limits for a while. Typing with my left hand only is ... eww.*
Nov 1, 2015 5:44 PM
Dec 2014
they're attractive as a 2d person can be, which is a lot because they're technically perfect. i don't think you can compare 2d and 3d people because they're both beautiful in different ways (i state the obvious) but personal opinion yes 2d is more aesthetically pleasing than 3d people
Nov 1, 2015 5:45 PM
Sep 2013
No, I prefer my three dimensional GF to anime girls whose faces look like mutant wall plugs

Anime character designs actually creep me out these days, there's something uncanny valley about them. I have a theory the modern anime art style resonates with autistic people because they have difficulty grasping emotions/empathy, and GIANT FACIAL FEATURES makes it a lot more obvious when characters are feeling or expressing anything. And you never really get a full range of expressions like in 80s anime or Disney (where bug eyes probably came from), they're either happy or sad or mad. Easy to grasp for the developmentally stunted.
GodAndTheBearNov 1, 2015 6:10 PM
Nov 1, 2015 6:17 PM

Apr 2014
Fintan said:
sadpwner said:

Eye's

Overall

Preferred anime for the eye's images. For the overall images, kind of disliked both.

You hate large cartoonish anime eyes but not all anime characters have eyes like that lol.

When you compare the best anime characters with the best people, anime characters either look better or the same. People can look ugly due to a plethora of reasons such as positioning, age and mood while anime characters are unchanging unless the composers deliberately made them ugly.
dissipatedNov 1, 2015 6:25 PM
Nov 1, 2015 6:55 PM
Sep 2013
When you compare the best anime characters with the best people, anime characters either look better or the same. People can look ugly due to a plethora of reasons such as positioning, age and mood while anime characters are unchanging unless the composers deliberately made them ugly.

Which is a flaw of animation. Sterile, static sameness should not be ideal--just like people can look funny at the wrong angles, fictional characters should too. It's more relatable and fun.

And this isn't just a male thing, I think there's also something sexually dysfunctional about women who expect men to look like androgynous 15 year old boyband members for eternity. It's creepy.
GodAndTheBearNov 1, 2015 6:59 PM
Nov 1, 2015 11:06 PM

Apr 2014
Largething said:

Which is a flaw of animation. Sterile, static sameness should not be ideal--just like people can look funny at the wrong angles, fictional characters should too. It's more relatable and fun.

And this isn't just a male thing, I think there's also something sexually dysfunctional about women who expect men to look like androgynous 15 year old boyband members for eternity. It's creepy.

Problem is they can look flawed if the composer chooses to.

2D characters are the manifestations of our desires. They our determined purely by us and there is no limitation. Hate something? Change it. Want something? Make it. If the composer chooses to, a character with 0 flaws can be produced. From appearance to personality, it can all be perfect.

The easiest comparison is photoshop. By taking photos of people they are being converted into 2D images. Then once they are photoshoped, their appearance is no longer real similarly to animated characters. Which do you think looks better? The photoshopped one of course. Given that most models and actors are photoshopped to look better, that is accepting that they are flawed and can be improved. However, the moment a flaw is detected, it is evident that their appearance is inferior to that of the animated as animated characters have no flaws.
Nov 1, 2015 11:19 PM

Jul 2012
Fintan said:
Do you only fap to hentai/anime? That's seriously weird in my opinion.
Yes, because 2d censors things I don't want to see or draws it so it looks decent
Nov 2, 2015 1:01 AM

Aug 2013
Kami-sama, is that...

is that really you?

*manly tear
''Hayao Miyazaki was a mistake''
-Anime
Nov 2, 2015 4:36 AM

Nov 2009
bakanonbaka said:

Can you enjoy a nice cup of tea made by your IRL girlfriend?

Largething said:
I have a theory the modern anime art style resonates with autistic people because they have difficulty grasping emotions/empathy, and GIANT FACIAL FEATURES makes it a lot more obvious when characters are feeling or expressing anything. And you never really get a full range of expressions like in 80s anime or Disney (where bug eyes probably came from), they're either happy or sad or mad. Easy to grasp for the developmentally stunted.

Can I take this part to "What is it that you enjoy in Anime/LN/Manga and you can't find it elsewhere?" thread? actually having readable facial expressions and emotions is one of the best things in anime that we lack IRL.
Nov 2, 2015 4:52 AM
Mar 2012
Largething said:
No, I prefer my three dimensional GF to anime girls whose faces look like mutant wall plugs

Anime character designs actually creep me out these days, there's something uncanny valley about them. I have a theory the modern anime art style resonates with autistic people because they have difficulty grasping emotions/empathy, and GIANT FACIAL FEATURES makes it a lot more obvious when characters are feeling or expressing anything. And you never really get a full range of expressions like in 80s anime or Disney (where bug eyes probably came from), they're either happy or sad or mad. Easy to grasp for the developmentally stunted.

Modern anime has smaller eyes than a lot of older anime so rip theory - sorry but it really makes no sense, even live action movies emphasize emotion by focusing on the face and adding music etc.

Whilst I enjoy both, I would say 3d appeals more because imperfections make beauty not perfection. Even whilst asking for perfection, perfection is actually boring so -shrug-
Nov 8, 2015 12:50 PM

Sep 2015
GodAndTheBear said:

Nonsense, Complete bollocks nonsense

you sound like another old fart giving it big shits about the good ol' days

The range of expression in the majority of modern anime is nothing short of breathtaking. If you cannot see that then there is something wrong with you, not the anime.
Nov 8, 2015 8:11 PM

Sep 2013
Fintan said:

[img]http://i.imgur.com/IvbXEIm.jpg[/img

You have really bad taste :(
She's a 4/10, I'd rather throw myself against a wall.
Nov 8, 2015 8:16 PM

Jul 2012
GodAndTheBear said:
wow thanks
Nov 8, 2015 8:17 PM

Nov 2014
ichii_1 said:
Fintan said:

she is more than 4/10. Looks cute.

Nov 8, 2015 8:18 PM

Jul 2012
ichii_1 said:
Fintan said:

She kinda looks hungover and creepy in this photo.
Nov 8, 2015 8:18 PM

Nov 2014
The only 3D I everyone needs.
ExTemplarNov 8, 2015 8:41 PM

Nov 8, 2015 9:00 PM

Nov 2015
I've had "crushes" on "bishies" when I was a young girl (whole reason why I like Fushigi Yuugi). --- Then I discovered Kdrama.... or Kpop Boy Bands..... Creating perfect human bodies is also possible in 3D as well. It's called plastic surgery haha. I'll take Jinwoon over any 2D guy. :) Of course this is just ranking men on sex appeal and not on if they're good people, kind, smart, have any common interests, know how to treat a girl, etc. But my god, korean men are sexy (and yes I know they want nothing to do with my fat white american self) lol lol. I'm a huge Jinwoon fan girl though. :) He has shown me the light 3D > 2D always. :)

Charming innocent smile, so much charisma.... until he takes off his shirt.... then he's just smokin'

Nov 10, 2015 4:05 AM

Apr 2014
I agree, that drunk girl looked pretty below average.
galimx said:
No, real meat is better. You will see some day, try to move out of your room once.

Didn't know you had a food fetish.
Mar 4, 2016 11:05 AM
Apr 2015
Not like you had interest in any of them.
Mar 4, 2016 11:07 AM

Jul 2015
They are drawn to be attractive so (maybe) yeah
Mar 4, 2016 11:10 AM

Aug 2015
You guys only realized this now ? Shame on you.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» is ur fave genre ur most watched genre ?

ame - 11 minutes ago

2 by Silverlight41 »»
3 minutes ago

» Upcoming Dubbed Anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenny_Stryker - Dec 17, 2017

9062 by anime-prime »»
13 minutes ago

» Does being an anime fan make you proud or embarassed?

BuddhaIsBetter - 11 hours ago

32 by LSSJ_Gaming »»
15 minutes ago

Poll: » do you consider hate on your favorites an attack on you personally?

deg - 9 hours ago

17 by LSSJ_Gaming »»
17 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

62 by LSSJ_Gaming »»
19 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.