Forum Settings
Forums

A question for the Religious & the non-religious.

New
Oct 19, 2015 3:00 PM

May 2013
Atheists(as a general term I will use for this question) is the idea that God could have used evolution to create humans an impossible one to you? Could you theoretically accept this possibility for the sake of argument but still reject god as existing? & if not, why do yo not accept this as any possibility?

Religious people(let's just say Christians and Muslims), would it be possible to accept that God used evolution to create humans? Evidence certainly suggests evolution is true as we know it, so is there a particular reason that you yourself find it impossible?(In matters of rational thinking that is). I understand in the bible, it sort of says god created humans, so kinda hard to dispute that, but for the sake of argument, please try.

I imagine it's sort of a topic that's been discussed before in your personal lives, but I just haven't seen it on here, and I'm curious as to if the question i ask is an interesting one, or actually just plainly stupid.

Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Oct 19, 2015 3:01 PM
Jul 2018
Atheists do not believe in an existence of a god,that why would they accept possibility that he helped further evolution?
Oct 19, 2015 3:02 PM

Mar 2014
Agnosticism is for pussies

ATHEISM MASTER RACE WOOP WOOP
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Oct 19, 2015 3:03 PM
Jul 2018
Comic_Sans said:

Come here and say that to my face!
Oct 19, 2015 3:04 PM

Jul 2012
I'm not an atheist. I can see the possibilities but it lacks hard proof. But, half of the shit that the bible spews seems improbable to me.
Feb 2014
*grabs popcorn (PS: It's Orville Redenbachers Pour-On Butter)*

Mar 2014
Mischievous said:
Comic_Sans said:

YOU ARE A PUSSY
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained

May 2013
Mischievous said:
Atheists do not believe in an existence of a god,that why would they accept possibility that he helped further evolution?

I mean sort of why do atheists(people who become atheists) not try to see that point of view before finally making up their mind? I know atheists don't believe in god, but all us atheists must have reasons for why we do not, and I wonder has this thought ever been pondered before
Oct 19, 2015 3:05 PM
Jul 2018
Otoshiro said:

Well,you have enough salt already,I guess.
Oct 19, 2015 3:06 PM

Dec 2013
Otoshiro said:
Enjoy your cancer.
Oct 19, 2015 3:07 PM
Feb 2014
Astros said:
Otoshiro said:
Enjoy your cancer.

But that's the best kind
Oct 19, 2015 3:07 PM

Mar 2008
I already think if there was a god or gods that they would have gone through a cosmic evolution. I do not believe it to be a creator god though, at least not in a traditional sense.
Oct 19, 2015 3:08 PM
Jul 2018
Comic_Sans said:
Mischievous said:

YOU ARE A PUSSY

okay....

Oct 19, 2015 3:08 PM

May 2013
traed said:
I already think if there was a god or gods that they would have gone through a cosmic evolution. I do not believe it to be a creator god though, at least not in a traditional sense.

I can't remember Traed, what as your affiliation again? I thought it was agnostic but I might be confusing you with someone else.
Oct 19, 2015 3:10 PM

Mar 2014
Mischievous said:
Comic_Sans said:
YOU ARE A PUSSY

okay....

HOW DARE YOU INSULT JACK NICHOLSON
Nico- said:
Oct 19, 2015 3:12 PM
Jul 2018
Comic_Sans said:
Mischievous said:

okay....

HOW DARE YOU INSULT JACK NICHOLSON

BECAUSE I AM AGNOSTIC
Oct 19, 2015 3:12 PM

Jun 2015
I can accept this as a possibility but wouldn't claim that it's what I believe.
Oct 19, 2015 3:13 PM
Jul 2018
khunter said:
is the idea that God could have used evolution to create humans an impossible one to you?

I thought that way when I was like 8-10 years old, I didn't know at the moment that those would be my first steps out of religion
Oct 19, 2015 3:15 PM

Dec 2013
Otoshiro said:
Astros said:
Enjoy your cancer.

But that's the best kind
Can't argue with you there.
Oct 19, 2015 3:16 PM

May 2013
RodrikZen said:
khunter said:
is the idea that God could have used evolution to create humans an impossible one to you?

I thought that way when I was like 8-10 years old, I didn't know at the moment that those would be my first steps out of religion

You know about evolution when you were 9/10? That's impressive. I don't think I heard about it until I was like 14.
Oct 19, 2015 3:17 PM

Apr 2013
Comic_Sans said:

agnostics are atheists in all but name anyway

woop woop
Oct 19, 2015 3:18 PM
Jul 2018
Candy said:
Comic_Sans said:

woop woop

Not really.
Oct 19, 2015 3:19 PM

Mar 2014
Mischievous said:
BECAUSE I AM AGNOSTIC
JACK NICKOLSON IS INNOCENT
Nico- said:
Oct 19, 2015 3:19 PM
Jul 2018
khunter said:
RodrikZen said:

You know about evolution when you were 9/10? That's impressive. I don't think I heard about it until I was like 14.

I didn't watch much cartoons when I was a kid, I was always watching Animal Planet or Discovery Channel, so yeah that help a lot
Oct 19, 2015 3:20 PM

May 2015
Lump me with the atheist, and yes, I see this as a possibility.

If God created everything, he also created the process itself by which organisms evolve. It's possible his involvement was just in creating the processes and that's it. It's more plausible if you ask me.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Oct 19, 2015 3:21 PM

Oct 2014
God himself could only exist through evolution which then takes away the need for a god. A creature that complex would take such a long time to evolve.

Apr 2014
It's got to the point where we've evolved dogs over thousands of years into creations we can predict. That's an example of us guiding evolution, so there's no need for me to assume god guiding evolution.

Do I have reason to think god started abiogenesis (life coming from non-life)? I don't think so, and I don't think it's a logical position to debate. There is no logical evidence for a conceptual god, therefore the atheist will always have the upperhand in debates. An atheists position is "we don't know". But just think about the term atheist. An atheist doesn't believe gods exist. Gods only "exist" in religions that describe them to us.

I can be 100% certain you don't know anything more than I do about how "god" started life on earth and created the universe by reading the bible. For starters Christians have even admitted genesis isn't meant to be taken literally, that's how I know. They're in the same situation as everyone else.
Dick_DawkinsOct 19, 2015 3:33 PM
Trance said:
I'm a guy and I can imagine buttfucking another guy. I don't find the thought repulsive, and I can even imagine kissing another man.

Jan 2009
im agnostic, so i simply do not know, but im open to the possibility that their is a god but not the god that all religion so far has said, so ye i can accept a creator and evolution

religion like Christianity do believe evolution and believing in god compatible - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theistic_evolution but its not how its written in the bible though, the story of Adam and Eve

but ye Theistic Evolution is some form of God of the Gaps argument https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_of_the_gaps when we do not know something about evolution then god did it the religious says
Oct 19, 2015 3:22 PM

Mar 2014
Candy said:
Comic_Sans said:

woop woop
That's your subjective opinion
Nico- said:
Oct 19, 2015 3:22 PM
Jul 2018
Comic_Sans said:
Candy said:

woop woop

Why is your objective to be so objective?
Oct 19, 2015 3:26 PM
Sep 2015
Atheist. Nah, and I've stopped trying to logic it out. The whole concept of deities and magic just seems silly. Evolution has nothing to do with it.
Oct 19, 2015 3:31 PM

May 2013
Mr_Mantis said:
It's got to the point where we've evolved dogs over thousands of years into creations we can predict. That's an example of us guiding evolution, so there's no need for me to assume god guiding evolution.

Do I have reason to think god started abiogenesis (life coming from non-life)? I don't think so, and I don't think it's a logical position to debate. There is no logical evidence for a conceptual god, therefore the atheist will always have the upperhand in debates. An atheists position is "we don't know". But just think about the term atheist. An atheist doesn't believe gods exist. Gods only "exist" in religions that describe them to us.

Very fair description.(btw, I miss the dawkins persona :( )
Oct 19, 2015 3:32 PM

May 2013
VerballyStunted said:
Atheist. Nah, and I've stopped trying to logic it out. The whole concept of deities and magic just seems silly. Evolution has nothing to do with it.

This applies to me as well. I actually tend not to use evolution when debating, just rationality and logic.
Oct 19, 2015 3:32 PM

Mar 2014
Mischievous said:
Comic_Sans said:

Because it's all subjective
Nico- said:
Oct 19, 2015 3:33 PM

Jun 2015
Aren't there like 50 of these threads?
Read Toriko!
Oct 19, 2015 3:34 PM
Jul 2018
TheBrainintheJar said:
Lump me with the atheist, and yes, I see this as a possibility.

If God created everything, he also created the process itself by which organisms evolve. It's possible his involvement was just in creating the processes and that's it. It's more plausible if you ask me.

But if you are already stepping back and saying that God didn't create humans per se, why don't go further and do the same about the universe itself. We don't need a God to answer the questions we don't know yet.
Oct 19, 2015 3:34 PM

Mar 2008
khunter said:
traed said:

I can't remember Traed, what as your affiliation again? I thought it was agnostic but I might be confusing you with someone else.
I dont even know. When Im not sure what to say I say agnostic. Sometimes I say agnostic-theist. Yet problem is im not sure what properly defines a god so different concepts in my mind I am unsure if they match up to anything so I border on Ignostic too. There probably is a better term for it but I dont know it.
Oct 19, 2015 3:36 PM

May 2013
phantom346 said:
Aren't there like 50 of these threads?

Religious threads> I'm sure there is hundreds. Threads about god using evolution to create humans? I don't think so. Definitely not recently.
Oct 19, 2015 3:36 PM

May 2013
traed said:
khunter said:

I dont even know. When Im not sure what to say I say agnostic. Sometimes I say agnostic-theist. Yet problem is im not sure what properly defines a god so different concepts in my mind I am unsure if they match up to anything so I border on Ignostic too. There probably is a better term for it but I dont know it.

Interesting. So you wouldn't be religious then right?
Oct 19, 2015 3:38 PM

Jan 2009
traed said:
khunter said:

just call yourself irreligious https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irreligion
Oct 19, 2015 3:39 PM

Apr 2014
khunter said:
Mr_Mantis said:

Very fair description.(btw, I miss the dawkins persona :( )
I'll change my name soon probably. He's a great evolutionary biologist.

I've always had a thing for "Mantis" though for some reason.
Trance said:
I'm a guy and I can imagine buttfucking another guy. I don't find the thought repulsive, and I can even imagine kissing another man.

Jul 2015
No. If God is omnipotent why would he use evolution instead of simply creating perfect beings?

And why do we need a creator anyway? Because life doesn't come out of thin air, but gods do?

Feb 2014
As a Christian, if evolution were to be proven 100%, then yes, I'd say that it was at the hands of God.
"So wave goodbye to the hope we were born with, and say farewell to the chance of surviving this holocaust of love, this age of lost souls, but I'm holding on with both hands and I'm never letting go."
Oct 19, 2015 3:41 PM

Apr 2013
Mischievous said:
Candy said:

woop woop
Not really.
Yet they don't believe in God but only the possibility of One. They are infidels true and proper.
Oct 19, 2015 3:42 PM

Apr 2013
Mischievous said:
Comic_Sans said:
She's the new Poetic_Justice.
Oct 19, 2015 3:47 PM

Jan 2010
I don't doubt evolution, but I also won't completely disregard the possibility that some all-encompassing powerful form created humans, either. That's why I'm agnostic, lol. It's a nice in-between.

I think it's pointless to argue about it, or question it while you're still alive. You can only know a 'god' exists when you see it for yourself. Therefore, it's neither real nor false.
Oct 19, 2015 3:48 PM

Mar 2014
Candy said:
Mischievous said:
She's the new Poetic_Justice.
That's also your subjective opinion
Nico- said:
Oct 19, 2015 3:55 PM

May 2013
Clebardman said:
No. If God is omnipotent why would he use evolution instead of simply creating perfect beings?

And why do we need a creator anyway? Because life doesn't come out of thin air, but gods do?

there's my internet boytoy.

Very true indeed, but I've also sort of wondered how come Christians have not rationalized this, and started to accept evolution as true, yet still believe in god. It must have to do with what the bible actually says, I would think
Oct 19, 2015 3:57 PM

May 2013
ChissyCheeze said:
As a Christian, if evolution were to be proven 100%, then yes, I'd say that it was at the hands of God.

Fair enough I suppose. Though to look at in terms of percents is odd I gotta say. Because it's not like the theory of evolution is, so far, 70% true, while 30% is just wrong, but I get what you're saying.
Oct 19, 2015 3:58 PM

Aug 2013
If God created everything wouldn't the way the universe works just be what he did? like the science behind things is just the workings of what he created. We create cells that do cell things so even if they do science things like evolve and grow we still made them in the first place and engineered them to do that thing.

The universe is progressing forward, if everything were made perfect nothing would move forward so it stands to reason that if God made everything he made it to carry forward to grow and evolve, new stars are made old ones die and their dust makes new ones. Its a great mechanism full of movement, everything moving towards a celestial singular goal. You can't have a dance without a series of movements one after the other.
SpooksOct 19, 2015 4:02 PM
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Is fanart cheating?

spaceslut - Mar 5, 2023

30 by MasterTasuke »»
12 minutes ago

» what is "love" to you ? what makes you feel loved and how you love people ?

ame - Today

18 by MasterTasuke »»
19 minutes ago

Poll: » strawberry, chocolate or banana milk?

bobbysalmon - Apr 17

22 by SnipeStrike »»
23 minutes ago

» How do you know other people actually exist?

purple_rayn - Yesterday

17 by ISeeLifePeople »»
2 hours ago

» What do you think about law enforcement (police) in your country?

Sad - Apr 16

32 by KenaiPhoenix »»
3 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.