Forum Settings
Forums
Oct 30, 2015 12:09 PM

I cringe every time I visit a profile by accident. Good fucking job. If you're too inept to keep the old layout, give the option to block viewing profiles altogether. They are worthless as a source of any information anyway and at least it would prevent occasional throwing up by people with any aesthetic sense...

Kuma-Kuma said:
One day in the very very distant future it will be Xinil & (unknown company) and they will listen to the community and actually make changes that majority of the users want.
I don't think so. Who pushed that shitty drop down menu years back?
Ii tenki desu ne...

Oct 30, 2015 1:00 PM

Well, the new design is okay. But there's too much empty space in the left now, so I'd prefer having favourites in the left as it used to be.

Oct 30, 2015 4:01 PM

Antanaru said:
Kuma-Kuma said:
One day in the very very distant future it will be Xinil & (unknown company) and they will listen to the community and actually make changes that majority of the users want.
I don't think so. Who pushed that shitty drop down menu years back?
you don't like the drop down menu? that was a great decision to do that. it saves space. without the drop down menu then there would be over 30 links on the left hand side of the site and that would look ridiculous.

the changes to the profile aren't bad per se. it is the re-arranging of the profile that no one likes. majority of the people want stats on top, followed by the about me section. and faves on the left. i have a 24 inch monitor and there is so much white space it is ridiculous. everything is so centered that i have white space on the left and the right. at least Yahoo and Google know how to take up my entire screen.

Oct 30, 2015 4:40 PM
51 pages of ignored feedback.

How hard is it to admit to doing something that the majority despises? Or not even that, how fucking hard is it to give us the decency of choice wheather to keep our layout or not?

Oct 30, 2015 8:37 PM

Ticket said:
51 pages of ignored feedback.

How hard is it to admit to doing something that the majority despises? Or not even that, how fucking hard is it to give us the decency of choice wheather to keep our layout or not?

To be fair, he acknowledged us..

...and then called us some of the "most vile parts of the MAL community".

Oct 31, 2015 1:28 AM
Its not that bad. Will need some getting used to though..

Oct 31, 2015 3:52 AM

sunnysummerday said:
vivan said:
Real fix is generating proper thumbnails.

yes, please go back to using actual thumbnails, mal. in my outdated browser, it's still ugly (and takes too long to load.)

they added monstrous 1600px+ images to the panel for news, and fixed those to proper thumbnails a day later, so.. !? :/

seems the mod kineta did say there are teams working on different parts of mal, so guess the profile team is slacking off badly compared to other teams, or it's under-equipped, or just there is no profile team... just random people coming in and changing things..?

Fixes to make the Profile more bearable after "the Modern★Profile★Update★★Rip★Profile★"

Oct 31, 2015 7:53 AM

They took out the section that displays the amount of comments I've made *sigh*

Oct 31, 2015 3:09 PM

Progeusz said:
I vastly prefer Crave then because no changes are much better than forcing terrible changes.

Well, how ironic is this. I hated Crave and now i want it back just for my old profile. Can accept everything else but this awful profile stats.

Oct 31, 2015 4:29 PM

Xinil said:
This thread is truly full of the most helpful and the most vile parts of the MAL community. Some comments and suggestions throughout these 46 pages have been hugely insightful and productive. Others...well, I won't even dignify them with a description beyond "not helpful."
What kind of mentality is that? All criticism should be taken into account. Comments like "FUCK THIS SHIT" or "WFT HAVE YOU DONE MAL" might be less helpful than a well written and well formulated post where the poster thouroughly explains why they dis/like the new profile design but they should still be considered as helpful as even they indicate that maybe the new update wasn't really a good idea. Choosing to contemptuously ignore a comment just because it comes off as unnecessarily rude is just stupid, because when it comes down to it terrible feedback is still feedback and it should thus not be ignored.
Suffice it to say we're absolutely working through a large list of fixes/changes/suggestions and improvements.
Odd, that... You were saying the exact same things when you just had announced you had made the decision to remove the "Not helpful" button. Two months later? No fixes. No changes. No updates. Not even an announcement telling us about how you've progressed. No, it does not suffice
For those that think we're just snubbing our noses at your ideas or not caring what you think, I'm sorry that's the impression we give. We're doing our best to integrate popular ideas with our vision for MAL's future. I hope that the next round of changes restore a little of that lost faith.
Doesn't seem like it
Edit: Kineta edited my original post and added "Update 2." Which contains:

The following bugs were fixed today:
  • Completed manga entries weren't showing as completed on list updates.
  • The width on the profile picture is now 225 pixels again, and is no longer being scaled.
  • Bug fixed for characters in the favourites section: if the char only appeared in manga, the profile was displaying the anime with the same ID, not the manga entry.
  • The profile counter is increasing again (note: profile views were never visible on the old profile design).
  • Re-watching displays correctly in the last anime updates again.
  • URL for "Forum posts" is correct again.
  • Clubs counter only sums public and private clubs.
  • The Statistics URL works on all profile tabs now.
So you're not even going to bother replying to the "insightful and productive criticism"? Ok
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Salman bin Abdul Aziz said:
@Comic_Sans I hate to insult you on forums but you are just a troll so just go kill yourself already bitch

Oct 31, 2015 4:29 PM

Happy halloween! Now bring back the old layout.
:3

Oct 31, 2015 4:33 PM

Comic_Sans said:
Xinil said:
This thread is truly full of the most helpful and the most vile parts of the MAL community. Some comments and suggestions throughout these 46 pages have been hugely insightful and productive. Others...well, I won't even dignify them with a description beyond "not helpful."
What kind of mentality is that? All criticism should be taken into account. Comments like "FUCK THIS SHIT" or "WFT HAVE YOU DONE MAL" might be less helpful than a well written and well formulated post where the poster thouroughly explains why they dis/like the new profile design but they should still be considered as helpful as even they indicate that maybe the new update wasn't really a good idea. Choosing to contemptuously ignore a comment just because it comes off as unnecessarily rude is just stupid, because when it comes down to it terrible feedback is still feedback and it should thus not be ignored.
Suffice it to say we're absolutely working through a large list of fixes/changes/suggestions and improvements.
Odd, that... You were saying the exact same things when you just had announced you had made the decision to remove the "Not helpful" button. Two months later? No fixes. No changes. No updates. Not even an announcement telling us about how you've progressed. No, it does not suffice
For those that think we're just snubbing our noses at your ideas or not caring what you think, I'm sorry that's the impression we give. We're doing our best to integrate popular ideas with our vision for MAL's future. I hope that the next round of changes restore a little of that lost faith.
Doesn't seem like it

• The width on the profile picture is now 225 pixels again, and is no longer being scaled.
  • Bug fixed for characters in the favourites section: if the char only appeared in manga, the profile was displaying the anime with the same ID, not the manga entry.
  • The profile counter is increasing again (note: profile views were never visible on the old profile design).
So you're not even going to bother replying to the "insightful and productive criticism"? Ok

LOL. Everything you stated is so true. They don't give two shits about feedback, constructive or not. You're not kissing their ass and saying great job? Then your feedback goes out the window.

Oct 31, 2015 5:50 PM

^well the site is free , you don't pay anything .
They have right to do whatever they want ,i guess.

Oct 31, 2015 6:38 PM

AllenVonStein said:
I actually use a site that doesn't accept feedback and its going down the drains, their prescription is going down and they lost a lot of users. Sites that actaully use feedback and shit are better off and they profit. Thats why they give many thanks to the people who use their site and steadfastly give users more power for privacy/ style / features / communication /etc. I hope mal doesn't just do "whatever they want". If xinil truly reads all these posts as he claims he does.. then I plead that they keep working on things steadfastly and to not give up :D

In conclusion yeah accept all the feedback like a champ :V

Behold of my awesomeness~

Oct 31, 2015 11:24 PM
OG Rewriter

Personally I like this new layout.

Nov 1, 2015 3:15 AM

Comic_Sans said:
Xinil said:
Doesn't seem like it

Spot on.

On a side note, I find it funny to see Xinil using the term "not helpful" ..

-Positive and negative energy coexist to exist-

Nov 1, 2015 9:42 AM

AllenVonStein said:

free is a misused term, nothing is free, any site this included has costs, and when MAL is currently owned by DeNA, it's dubious if they want to run it just as a nonprofit activity
you may not pay them directly, but you still pay them with your presence in the form of advertisement and informations

about doing whatever they want, they do, but it's the way they do which marks the difference if they want this site to be for their personal private use or for other people too

Fixes to make the Profile more bearable after "the Modern★Profile★Update★★Rip★Profile★"

Nov 1, 2015 10:09 AM

CC said:
Popping in here to good a sincere thank you to the mods. MAL's design was really old / stagnant, and while I know a lot of people don't like change, this is a good step forward.

Thanks for the new profiles! I hope everything gets smoothed out / working soon and that we see some gradually improvement that make others happier too. ♥

Something looking like shit has nothing to do with change.

Nov 1, 2015 12:17 PM

sunnysummerday said:
KazuhaMigiwa said:

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞
"In the past few months since we met, I've shared many memories with Nagato. Though I've also shared memories with Haruhi, Asahina-san and Koizumi, I found that I've experienced more events with Nagato in particular. In fact, every situation seems to involve her. I might as well mention this, she's probably the only person to cause the bell within me to shake the most vigorously..." ~ Kyon, TMOSH

Nov 1, 2015 3:04 PM

KazuhaMigiwa said:
LOL, yeah you're right
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
@Comic_Sans I hate to insult you on forums but you are just a troll so just go kill yourself already bitch

Nov 1, 2015 4:11 PM

I will read this long thread somehow later, seems entertaining with all the drama civil discussions out there. But right now I have an issue with the new increase in the favorite spots. I can effectively add more spots for my favorite anime and people in my profile settings, but they are not shown updated, to me at least. Apparently I'm not able to see either the updates of other users. Any idea about this?

Edit.- Nevermind. I'm stupid. Everything's okay.
Modified by jal90, Nov 1, 2015 4:25 PM

Nov 1, 2015 4:14 PM

Gotta love how the last update was almost 2 weeks ago.
This is the first announcement with over 2000 replies so you would think that would warrant more attention.
Oh well. Such is life on MAL lol.

Nov 1, 2015 6:36 PM

Kuma-Kuma said:
This is the first announcement with over 2000 replies so you would think that would warrant more attention.

If they left the "Not Helpful Removal" thread unlocked, it would probably be in the same spot.

Nov 1, 2015 7:15 PM

OppaiSugoi said:
Kuma-Kuma said:

If they left the "Not Helpful Removal" thread unlocked, it would probably be in the same spot.
Now that you mentioned that. I think Xinil is getting a kick out of our responses now. Why hasn't this thread been locked yet?
Modified by Kuma-Kuma, Nov 1, 2015 7:20 PM

Nov 1, 2015 7:35 PM

OppaiSugoi said:
In last 2 weeks it got only 2 pages, so it's unlikely.

Kuma-Kuma said:
Now that you mentioned that. I think Xinil is getting a kick out of our responses now. Why hasn't this thread been locked yet?
Wait 2 more weeks, then they'll conclude that everyone got used to it (and 1 month of ignoring is not the real reason of course) and lock it.

Nov 1, 2015 7:40 PM

I kinda like it now. I've gotten used to it and I can use a new style better.

Nov 1, 2015 7:52 PM

I'm not a fan of this new layout. It's weird, and not just because I'm not used to it... :(

Nov 2, 2015 4:57 AM

Undim said:
Zeando said:
you may not pay them directly, but you still pay them with your presence in the form of advertisement and informations

And don't forget that the people who use sites like this are themselves part of the draw for it. If the product is free, you are the product.

for all of us posting yes, for all the others lurking or just using the lists a bit less, but yeah there is also that

vivan said:
Kuma-Kuma said:
Wait 2 more weeks, then they'll conclude that everyone got used to it (and 1 month of ignoring is not the real reason of course) and lock it.

eh, they've likely already 'concluded' that, seeing as how frequent the updates on this have become..

can't really be called "getting used" when there is little left of the new profile they made up :/

guess i'll have to get used to use scripts everytime i use MAL...
never felt the need to use them before this :/ but guess there is a first time for everything..

Nov 2, 2015 10:10 AM

Kuma-Kuma said:

:(

Nov 2, 2015 11:19 AM
Fucking hell MAL admins, get your shit together. Why even bother changing the damn profile layouts when you guys are still so far behind on fixing the collossally fucked up review system? Nobody asked you guys to do this. Nobody WANTED you to do this. I've gotten used to the new profile layout, but are you guys so incompetent to the point where you can't be fucked to bother beta-testing this shit?

I'm all for changing stuff that actually needs changing, but changing stuff and effectively ruining a fully functional product for the sake of "progress" is a practice that only a complete moron with absolutely no sense of prioritising things would even consider to be a good idea.

Nov 2, 2015 4:02 PM

Still nothing.
Thanks god the scripts exist to fix what incompetent MAL staff broke. They aren't ideal solution though because you'd have to install them every time you use a different browser, not to mention they still can't emulate the old layout, just something close to it.

Nov 3, 2015 2:00 AM

Zeando said:

guess i'll have to get used to use scripts everytime i use MAL...
never felt the need to use them before this :/ but guess there is a first time for everything..

+1

This arrangement would be fantastic. It de-clutters the profile area while still keeping all relevant information. If MAL could adopt this layout, I'm sure everyone would be a lot happier.

Nov 3, 2015 12:02 PM

;_;

still nothing...

Nov 3, 2015 6:50 PM

This tactic of ignoring criticism until people get bored of complaining, before closing threads when the discussion gets redundant due to no changes/updates, is highly effective.

White space to the left and right for no reason is the way of the future. I for one am glad the administrative staff understand this. True art is often not appreciated for decades, after all.

Nov 3, 2015 7:23 PM

JewellTH said:

Your profile looks shit, just like your taste. :^)

Nov 4, 2015 5:24 PM

Chupachupi said:

+1

This arrangement would be fantastic. It de-clutters the profile area while still keeping all relevant information. If MAL could adopt this layout, I'm sure everyone would be a lot happier.
I agree MAL should adopt this.

* I wonder how it would look with updates/stats on the left as well, leaving only profile/comments on the right.

* Friends should probably just be a link like Clubs.

Nov 5, 2015 2:08 AM

FengJie said:
JewellTH said:

Someone's grouchy.

-- Anywho, I think MAL is keeping quiet on purpose and are forcing us to get used to this update. I'm kinda getting used to it, but I still hate it.
Modified by Liaeves, Nov 5, 2015 2:12 AM

Nov 5, 2015 2:09 AM

FengJie said:
JewellTH said:

But we both like Ayano and Homura.

Nov 5, 2015 6:16 AM

It is me or has the panel been changed, and overall website font size?

I'm using a 1080p monitor and Chrome like I have been for a long time, but everything seems smaller now as of today (and no, I'm not zoomed out)... And there are no news on this anywhere?

Nov 5, 2015 7:30 AM

JewellTH said:

Looks great. And it gives me an idea. I think I might add some buttons to mine, too.

Nov 5, 2015 8:44 AM

God damn it, after ruining profiles they really went on to screw panel as well. Fuck off UI and start working on actual features and functionality.
Ii tenki desu ne...

Nov 5, 2015 8:58 AM
Antanaru said:
God damn it, after ruining profiles they really went on to screw panel as well. Fuck off UI and start working on actual features and functionality.

Yep, instead of showing my last 9 updates to my list, it only shows 4 which I guess has something to do with the date? Utterly retarded. Now I have a huge amount of white on the left and a proper list of friends + clubs on the right. Before that, it pretty much balanced out.

/edit: Never mind, it's completely messed up. If I select "show 2 items", it displays 4 (2 anime, 2 manga) - if I select "show 9 items", it also shows 4 but 3 anime and 1 manga then. My guess is that they just want to fuck the site up even further without fixing anything first.
Modified by Lucumo, Nov 5, 2015 9:04 AM

Nov 5, 2015 9:03 AM

Lucumo said:
Antanaru said:

Yep, instead of showing my last 9 updates to my list, it only shows 4 which I guess has something to do with the date? Utterly retarded. Now I have a huge amount of white on the left and a proper list of friends + clubs on the right. Before that, it pretty much balanced out.

So I'm not the only one. I really need that 9 list because my memory is not that good, and my plan-to-watch is way too big, so this is an important feature for me. 4 is not enough. I hope this is a bug, honestly how much more can they ruin this site? I don't even care about other things anymore that they change, but I need my lists and updating to be viable and consistent.

Nov 5, 2015 9:05 AM
Hug Addict <3

Pretty sure the panel is just bugged atm

A cuddle a day keeps the pouting away~
"Holding hands is just the first step to getting pregnant"

Nov 5, 2015 9:07 AM

HandsomeMan said:
It is me or has the panel been changed, and overall website font size?

I'm using a 1080p monitor and Chrome like I have been for a long time, but everything seems smaller now as of today (and no, I'm not zoomed out)... And there are no news on this anywhere?

to me it looks like the text size of "Anime & Manga News " got enlarged (and also added some unneeded spacing in between the news)

HandsomeMan said:
And there are no news on this anywhere?

not surprising given the feedback they got after the profile change, maybe they gave up and just decided to go for sneak changes while saying nothing :/

Nov 5, 2015 9:15 AM

Yes the news section also looks ridiculously large and out of place on the panel.
Xinil been messing with the code while drinking again or what

Nov 5, 2015 1:19 PM

HaXXspetten said:
I hope so

I read and replied to a message like two hours ago and the white/orange 1 still hasn't gone away
Modified by Comic_Sans, Nov 5, 2015 3:37 PM
Nico- said:

Nov 5, 2015 1:52 PM

HaXXspetten said:

Nov 7, 2015 7:04 PM

Hasn't this admin sorted this out yet? This is absolutely pathetic.
The developers have had ample time to listen to the vast amounts of people that have said that this "update" wasn't a good idea, and despite that the only action I see taken is minor tweaks.
There's absolutely no reason why users shouldn't have the choice to revert back to the old design; choice isn't a bad thing at all.
But we aren't getting any choice whatsoever, instead the admin who I can only assume is an incredibly self entitled ignorant person at this point, feels the need to force this trash upon us. Anyone with any ounce of common sense should know that forcing things upon people is never a good policy, especially in this case when so many people are against said forced change.
And even if you do support these changes, you should still advocate an option to revert to the older design, because having the option would be favorable for people on both sides of the fence.

All in all I can't see how this approach has been a positive thing, it's not good pr, even with all the attempted damage control from deleting posts and polls it doesn't work to anyone's advantage. Actually I'm surprised that this arrogant approach hasn't caused this site to get ddos'd or something yet.

Personally I'd like to use this site again, but I'm going to have to continue to refuse out of principle. For the love of whatever deity that you may or may not worship, whether it's your own ass fumes, Jesus Christ, Allah, or even Haruhi Suzumiya, do something about these ridiculous profile designs please. That mean bar would be a good place to start, it's especially useless, I don't have the slightest clue why that thing even exists.

Nov 8, 2015 4:43 AM

Were the changes rolled back or was there a change to the giant "anime streaming" ad? It looks like old MAL again?
Proud member of the "why are giant images allowed in signatures" club.

Pages (51) « First ... « 46 47 [48] 49 50 » ... Last »