Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Oct 10, 2015 11:12 AM

Apr 2011
HandsomeMan said:
People sure love "realistic" settings in anime. If you love it so much, how about you go watch a documentary or something since fiction is clearly not for you?

And that wasn't a yaoi scene... and even if it was there's nothing wrong with that... Suddenly guy x guy moment is the epitome of evil on this site, while sexualized underage lolis in 90% of anime are totally normal.

Thanks.

The male tears actually make me laugh most of the time, but I sincerely can't understand why you guys are so offended by the manservice. Black Jack has always been attractive and popular among girls after all. And honestly, 90% of the anime nowadays have women wearing little or no clothes, giant boobs, panty shits, and situations in which they lose their clothes for no reason. I mean, have you seen K: Return of Kings? It's clearly an anime for girls considering most of the characters are bishounen and there's a lot of material for yaoi pairings, still the only two women in the series are the ones who always end up in situations like this:

YBJ's fanservice is not nearly as blatant as the fanservice man get with anime girls, and even if it was, why are you so bothered? Girls can have their fun too.

On another note, I'm assuming that people finding it weird that the problem's solution was to change the guy's face never read the original series, because something exactly like that happens right in the first chapter.
Black Jack never tried to be realistic, so I don't know why people would expect the new anime to be.

I loved the episode, btw.
Oct 10, 2015 11:19 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Again a good episode, i like the relationship between the two doctors, they help each other out. Also sick transplant with the face.
Oct 10, 2015 11:42 AM

Nov 2013
@raifuresu, I think people were bitching about Yabu starting to blush when he got a compliment from YBJ at the end of the episode, which is apparently "yaoi" for them. I personally didn't even notice the "implied fan service" until I went into this thread. I guess for them naked titans running around from SnK is also heavy fan service for women.

Honestly, the definition of fan service in anime is close up / zooming into / camera pointing towards tits, ass and the like while the characters are talking as an example. THAT is fan service. Here it's just... men without shirts on for a brief moment. That's it.
Oct 10, 2015 11:43 AM
Mar 2011
The worst thing about the episode was the cards. There were no reason to show them, it looked stupid.
Oct 10, 2015 11:45 AM

Oct 2011
HandsomeMan said:
@raifuresu, I think people were bitching about Yabu starting to blush when he got a compliment from YBJ at the end of the episode, which is apparently "yaoi" for them. I personally didn't even notice the "implied fan service" until I went into this thread. I guess for them naked titans running around from SnK is also heavy fan service for women.

Honestly, the definition of fan service in anime is close up / zooming into / camera pointing towards tits, ass and the like while the characters are talking as an example. THAT is fan service. Here it's just... men without shirts on for a brief moment. That's it.

And getting money thrown at them while he prostrates like a stripper or the choking of Hazuma while he was shirt less. I mean it really is blatant.
Oct 10, 2015 11:52 AM

Nov 2013
Gov said:
HandsomeMan said:

And getting money thrown at them while he prostrates like a stripper or the choking of Hazuma while he was shirt less. I mean it really is blatant.

You're welcome to quit watching this anytime.
Next time I see you post in a forum on a show that has jiggly breasts, close ups of girls' asses and other similar scenarios, and see you say that you like the show, you can then put a fine stamp of hypocrisy on your forehead.
Oct 10, 2015 11:53 AM

Apr 2011
HandsomeMan said:

Yeah, I notice that, but there are people who really seem bothered just because he's shirtless from time to time (and almost the whole episode this week, lbr).
Also, as a fan of BL (mostly doujinshi of non-BL anime) the thought of yaoi didn't even cross my mind when I saw Yabu blushing. It's just a guy who got a compliment from someone he respects, I can't see why that would be "gay" or "fanservice".
Oct 10, 2015 11:57 AM

Jun 2013
that was a good episode face/off
Oct 10, 2015 11:57 AM

Nov 2013
raifuresu said:
HandsomeMan said:

Yeah, I notice that, but there are people who really seem bothered just because he's shirtless from time to time (and almost the whole episode this week, lbr).
Also, as a fan of BL (mostly doujinshi of non-BL anime) the thought of yaoi didn't even cross my mind when I saw Yabu blushing. It's just a guy who got a compliment from someone he respects, I can't see why that would be "gay" or "fanservice".

Well I don't know. Apparently there are self proclaimed straight men here who get emasculated from watching this show though, and have a need to bitch about the most minor of things. They should quit watching while they're ahead, who knows their dicks might fall off from watching more episodes.
Oct 10, 2015 12:20 PM

Nov 2012
Moral of the story is, even if you're a kingpin of crime and underground dealings, never associate with religious like sects/cults. They're crazy.
Jaywalker.
Oct 10, 2015 12:31 PM

Nov 2012
Not that I particularly care about the man service, but I think it's silly to act like everyone who complains about man service let's normal fan service slide, let alone loli fan service. Or act like people in general don't complain about fan service, which they do.

While I have no strong feelings about fan service in general, I do see why people have such a disdain for it since it makes anime and being anime fans look bad-especially disgusting lolis-, but then again it sells. From a male perspective I'd think that male fan service is worse for men than normal fan service for women, I mean females would easily get away with watching things arguably lesbian and the media is filled with tits and ass anyways, but if a dude is caught watching shirtless guys doing poses and shit chances are it'll get a negative reaction from peers and if some anime is perceived as yaoi some guys would be very much less likely to want dvds of it being in there house because it's almost as looked down upon as lolis. Lesbians>male gays>pedos as far as society goes, I only personally think pedos are bad but w.e, it is what it is.

Anyways that's all I'll say about that, I don't even think it's that important in this particular anime, but was just throwing this out there.
EpicenterOct 10, 2015 12:37 PM
Jaywalker.
Oct 10, 2015 12:39 PM
Oct 2012
Most Underrated anime of the season, too bad most people wont pick it up because of the low score.
Oct 10, 2015 12:40 PM

Dec 2013
it was an alright episode
Oct 10, 2015 1:17 PM

Nov 2012
Face transplant over the heart transplant seemed like a huge bailout.

The old series wouldn't have done this.
Oct 10, 2015 1:30 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Wow I really wasn't expecting half of the discussion to be about people feeling uncomfortable at shirtless guys, it's actually pretty funny.

Gov said:

Throwing money at Hazama didn't seem like fanservice to me, I'm not sure if any other female fans thought that either (maybe some did). I just thought it was simply another scene. You think it's blatant but that was not a out of place scene where people would get excited seeing, and that's what fanservice is. It was not out of place, because the cult leader throwing money at Hazama was what the cult leader would do given his attitude about life, and Hazama was shirtless because they had to perform an evaluation. Why would you put the shirt back on your victims anyways. Well fanservice doesn't always have to be out of place, but you said blatant, and this was not blatant fanservice. I think you're just a little sensitive. Seriously, prostrates like a stripper, are we watching the same thing?

And I still find it annoying that people use the term fujoshi to encompass all female fans. Yes they do overlap, but not always.

Anyways, I thought this was a fairly good episode. I think the point of YBJ isn't to focus on how realistic it is, but about the moral dilemmas, as other people have pointed out. It is unbelievable that Hazama successfully transplanted a face despite the feat being done in 2010, but if you think about it, Hazama is already a walking miracle...if you could put your suspension of disbelief on for Hazama, then you can probably do it for other miracles to come. I found the moral dilemma to be the highlight of this episode anyways, it was good that Yabu was there to stop Hazama. I like his contribution so far to the series of his war experiences, about how people aren't willing to die, but it's because they have no other choice.
Oct 10, 2015 1:32 PM

Apr 2011

I honestly think it would, it's not that much different from what was done in the first chapter of the original manga (or the first episode of Black Jack Specials).
Oct 10, 2015 1:36 PM

Nov 2012
raifuresu said:

I honestly think it would, it's not that much different from what was done in the first chapter of the original manga (or the first episode of Black Jack Specials).
I meant this one
http://myanimelist.net/anime/1520/Black_Jack
which was darker than the original series
Oct 10, 2015 1:37 PM

Apr 2011
VanishingKira said:
raifuresu said:
I meant this one
http://myanimelist.net/anime/1520/Black_Jack
which was darker than the original series

Oh, right. That's true.
Oct 10, 2015 1:52 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Just went to read the first two chapters of YBJ, and hm, I would say the manga is slightly better not just because of the "gore," but with the flashbacks. They're probably saving Kazama's past for later, idk, but it would've gone well in this episode since it was to show why Kazama wanted to help the man.

In case anyone wanted to see what they missed out on with the face transplant:

It was just this panel though.
Oct 10, 2015 2:59 PM

Jan 2013
I can't believe he actually did that xD In the end i was like "wooow he suceed at the surgery" but when he said that he just swapped their faces etc i was like "this guy is a boss" xD
That plot twist at the end :D He saved his life and probably his daughters too.
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Oct 10, 2015 3:26 PM

Oct 2011
So they are doing comedy here?
Because it looks like it - I'm guessing that transplanting faces takes some time to heal, results aren't perfect but he is genius so why not.

Also no one in that cult asked: Hey Doctor, if you were operating on his heart why is his face covered in bandages - they could also ask why that other guy has no face but I don't know, maybe he hid it or something or why his voice is different.
Oct 10, 2015 3:55 PM

Dec 2014
Samii said:
raveninthemuddle said:

But YBJ goes straight to using the defilbrillator before performing any CPR...and he is the genius...

No he just doesn't want to put in effort to save an evil man.

I'll take this as a joke, not an actual explanation.
Oct 10, 2015 4:29 PM

Nov 2012
LOLOL It's pretty difficult for me to believe that Hazama was able to competely alter their faces like that.. and wouldn't the cultists/followers of the old dude notice it was the wrong guy immediately when they tried to talk to him at all?

I guess a positive is no way in hell did I see that one coming, I just assumed that Hazama would simply perform the surgery. The beginning was pretty dramatic as well, looked like someone was going to lose their heart ..
Oct 10, 2015 4:56 PM

Jun 2008
I did not expect to come into this thread to see people arguing about "manservice" wtf. I didn't think anything of him being shirtless and I certainly didn't see anything yaoi-ish in this episode at all. It's like you guys are trying so hard to see everything that way.

Anyway, this episode was more interesting than the first one, even if the ending didn't make much sense. For some reason, this episode reminded me of Kaiji.
Oct 10, 2015 5:07 PM

Sep 2014
hirahira said:
I did not expect to come into this thread to see people arguing about "manservice" wtf. I didn't think anything of him being shirtless and I certainly didn't see anything yaoi-ish in this episode at all. It's like you guys are trying so hard to see everything that way.

Anyway, this episode was more interesting than the first one, even if the ending didn't make much sense. For some reason, this episode reminded me of Kaiji.

Yeah, it was funny to see everyone here talking about how someone was shirtless, oh no. I forgot all about it, wasn't a big deal for me.

Ending made sense to me but was strange and came unexpectedly.
Oct 10, 2015 5:07 PM

Aug 2009
I see most people here aren't watching this for the original Black Jack manga. Otherwise, there would be zero complaints about how unrealistic everything was...

Also, I didn't notice the so called "manservice" until I came to this thread. Honestly, I just think people are complaining for the sake of complaining. The fanservice isn't noticable unless you make it so. Just focus on the plot and you'll probably forget about it.
Oct 10, 2015 5:09 PM

Jul 2009
Well that was very unexpected.

But the most funny thing to see is how people are bitching over about the MC. Like for real?
Oct 10, 2015 6:02 PM
Apr 2014
At this point some need to realize Black Jack isn't supposed to be a complete depiction of medical surgery and shit, because some of the shit that happens in the original is completely off the rails. What Black Jack is mainly about is the medical drama and moral dilemmas Hazama faces. Like what we saw during this episode of what being a doctor is truly about and if saving one life from another morally right. There's always a theme that occurs in Black Jack and that's what makes it a solid series. Black Jack being Jesus is basically icing on top.
Oct 10, 2015 7:08 PM

Jan 2008
This episode was so good. Never would have thought they would do a face transplant--truly a stroke of genius. Had anyone else been in the room besides the two of them, watching or assisting, then they may have been killed by the cult members on the spot. Well, now that the dude's alive, he can not only clear Hazama's debt, but also his buddies' debt as well as thanks. The guy is rolling in money now. Maybe he'll even change the cult from within to not be extremists.

Now there's the mystery of who's the Dr Joker. They seemed to make a really big deal about him.
Oct 10, 2015 8:35 PM

Sep 2015
An OK episode... Though I'm still trying to believe that ending.
Plastic surgery? Really? What about the hair? Did you dye it white and magically growed it out? I thought Hazama was supposed to be a genius, not a GOD......

This anime has lots of potential but I was hoping there would be another way to do it.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 10, 2015 8:49 PM
Apr 2013
The ones complaining about the manservice are probably faggots in the closet hahahaha. Anyway, that was a good decision made by Hazama. Will watch the other series when YBJ ends.
Oct 10, 2015 9:10 PM
Apr 2014
Memphis21 said:
An OK episode... Though I'm still trying to believe that ending.
Plastic surgery? Really? What about the hair? Did you dye it white and magically growed it out? I thought Hazama was supposed to be a genius, not a GOD......

This anime has lots of potential but I was hoping there would be another way to do it.

Did you not see the thorn symbolism going on in the first episode where his face was bleeding?

This is the same guy that did surgery on a super computer and the same guy that operated on himself within a time limit in the original series by Osamu Tezuka the father of manga.

Hazama is medical Jesus.
Oct 10, 2015 9:21 PM

Nov 2014
Karshi said:
They made the right choice with targeting fujoushi, its not like otakus would have ever bought this thing no matter how good it was, just look at Parasyte and Kids on the Slope, Rainbow Nisha (classic adaptation and 60's setting shows) abysmal sales. So why not focus on the women then? Its a product meant to sell afterall.

Its only his shirt off anyway, its so much milder than the offensive and suggestive fanservice we get with female characters in every other show. Not to mention Black Jack was a handsome guy to begin with even in the previous adaptations, they just amped it up according to latest demands.

All that said, this episode was a step up from last. They seem to be raising the stakes with every episode. I've heard a lot of good things about Vietnam arc, can't wait to see it.

OH YES. Funny how he was suppose to be originally scary and scares people off but dang, pretty ladies come after him. XD

I don't really mind seeing him shirtless.
---
Aside from that, great episode. It really is following the old series which makes me happy. I'm still getting use to Bishounen Black Jack though. I prefer the TV and OVA versions of him. Typical Hazama-kun doing face transplants again, I mean, when he became known as Black Jack that is.

Oh and half of his face is brown is because... I hope this anime shows it. :P

“The dreams and ideals we believe in, seem they might just fall apart if we take our eyes off them.”
Oct 10, 2015 9:28 PM

Jun 2014
So can we talk about how awesome Jack is?!

This was an amazing episode! So instead of doing a heart transplant he does a facial and body reconstruction.!

Definitely enjoying this anime!
So glad that I'm not a huge manga reader, because the manga readers WHINE WAY TOO MUCH and have to RUIN every adapted anime for the ANIME ONLY WATCHERS!
Oct 10, 2015 9:32 PM

Dec 2009
The story was really rushed on this episode, the last 5 minutes were really poorly executed, yeah he changed their faces, but how? :(
Oct 10, 2015 10:02 PM

Dec 2012
What the yaoi I didn't see any. Man I really wish I could see what some of these guys are imagining XD. I don't see anything wrong with him having his shirt off. Why do some males have to be so insecure about their sexuality. I really loved this episode even though it's not realistic, but hey this anime isn't about that. Can't wait for the next episode. I'm female and I see a lot of bouncing boobs and the such in anime -cough- K return of the kings, but you don't see me going off on it or being insecure of my sexuality. Some males are weird.
Oct 11, 2015 2:46 AM
Observer

Nov 2007
Anyone mentioning the word "yaoi" here clearly don't understand that that actually means. It's laughably off mark. I'm baffled some here even considers the shirtless dudes as "fanservice". I presume if there was a series about slavery and have shirtless slaves cramped in a boat they would called that "fanservice"? What?

As for the episode itself it was rather weak compared to the style of the original BJ.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Oct 11, 2015 3:05 AM

Jun 2013
That was pretty hard to buy, I seriously hope the rest of this anime isnt gonna pull off similar bs to instant face changes
Oct 11, 2015 3:44 AM

Feb 2015
Some of the comments here are fucking hilarious. I think some dudes are just jealous of Young Black Jack having a good body.

AquaWateria said:
At this point some need to realize Black Jack isn't supposed to be a complete depiction of medical surgery and shit, because some of the shit that happens in the original is completely off the rails. What Black Jack is mainly about is the medical drama and moral dilemmas Hazama faces. Like what we saw during this episode of what being a doctor is truly about and if saving one life from another morally right. There's always a theme that occurs in Black Jack and that's what makes it a solid series. Black Jack being Jesus is basically icing on top.
Finally, someone who knows what Black Jack is all about.
Oct 11, 2015 3:53 AM

Nov 2014
After all, he is a surgeon who has the miraculous hands of a God. :3

Nothing's impossible for him.

“The dreams and ideals we believe in, seem they might just fall apart if we take our eyes off them.”
Oct 11, 2015 3:55 AM

Apr 2013
Axelucard_ said:
that was a good episode face/off

The good old times.

Why must Travolta always play the role of a villain and get killed in the end ? :(
Oct 11, 2015 3:56 AM
Jul 2018
shadowfox254 said:
Some of the comments here are fucking hilarious. I think some dudes are just jealous of Young Black Jack having a good body.

Fer said:
The story was really rushed on this episode, the last 5 minutes were really poorly executed, yeah he changed their faces, but how? :(

Same.

tingy said:

From where did you get this? Is there a manga about this new series? I browsed everywhere but I couldn't find it.
Oct 11, 2015 3:57 AM

Feb 2015
WOW nice idea he has.
I'm getting like this anime. getting interesting.
and i like the ed song too.
Oct 11, 2015 4:17 AM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
yuliyana29 said:

tingy said:

From where did you get this? Is there a manga about this new series? I browsed everywhere but I couldn't find it.

I found the Chinese title of the manga on mangaupdates and read it on the Chinese scanlations site I go to when there are no English translations. I'll PM you the link if you're interested. But yeah, this anime is an adaptation of the manga Young Black Jack. The manga had been publishing since 2011.
tingyOct 11, 2015 4:21 AM
Oct 11, 2015 4:32 AM

Nov 2014
Yes, since this has been adapted from the manga.

Unfortunately, I can't find any translated chapters. ;-;

Oct 11, 2015 4:47 AM
Jul 2018
tingy said:
yuliyana29 said:

I found the Chinese title of the manga on mangaupdates and read it on the Chinese scanlations site I go to when there are no English translations. I'll PM you the link if you're interested. But yeah, this anime is an adaptation of the manga Young Black Jack. The manga had been publishing since 2011.

Yeah, I am interested. Will you link it, please?
Oct 11, 2015 5:38 AM

May 2012
Not as good as 1st episode, but it is ok
Oct 11, 2015 7:07 AM

Nov 2014
KKRais said:
So they can't do a heart transplant because it's the 1960s and no patient has survived more than 18 days after one...

But they CAN do a full face transplant even though the FIRST time that was done was in 2010? FIFTY years later?

That was a completely ridiculous ending.

x2
Oct 11, 2015 10:14 AM

Jun 2014
Darkshadow77 said:
I see most people here aren't watching this for the original Black Jack manga. Otherwise, there would be zero complaints about how unrealistic everything was...

It was the definition of asspulls, especially since each case had to be done in 20 pages or less.

The diagnoses and anatomy were usually correct, but as a surgeon Black Jack is supposed to be ridiculously OP, that's the entire purpose of his character, to be what Tezuka always aspired to be as a doctor.

Sort of wish it wasn't labeled as a prequel, so many people are coming into this just because it is a seasonal yet have never watched/read it. At least it seems a few people seem to like it a lot, so new fans will watch the main series after.

This episode was much better than the first and I am looking forward to the Vietnam episodes.
Oct 11, 2015 10:18 AM

Jul 2015
I don't know how I feel about this show so far. This episode was pretty good, I don't understand why people are making such a big deal about the manservice...
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Thoughts on Young Black Jack

Hydre_Ito - Sep 19, 2020

4 by removed-user »»
Nov 10, 2022 6:21 AM

Poll: » Young Black Jack Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Oct 15, 2015

74 by Delgear »»
Nov 11, 2021 2:25 PM

Poll: » Young Black Jack Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Oct 22, 2015

50 by gl1tchedshad0ws »»
Jul 22, 2021 5:19 PM

Poll: » Young Black Jack Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 1, 2015

192 by gl1tchedshad0ws »»
Jul 19, 2021 7:36 PM

» Could I watch this without watching the original anime?

Kamirator - Apr 23, 2021

4 by Kamirator »»
Apr 25, 2021 3:47 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.