Forums
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Post New Reply
Poll: High School Star Musical Episode 1 Discussion

Oct 6, 2015 4:00 AM
Taetae Fanboy

It was okay.. I can't say anything more

Oct 6, 2015 4:51 AM

Wow... so freaking gay. Why can't they make these shows where the males at least act a LITTLE like a guy would. You can't bet much more beta then these guys.

Oct 6, 2015 6:56 AM

I don't mind this at all lol.
The story so far is pretty generic and the art isn't amazing or anything, but the songs are nice and I like the choreography. iinw the anime studio doing this is still kind of inexperienced doing their own series so I think it's not bad for now.

The music usage was a little abrupt in some places, but the BGM itself doesn't disappoint. Ken Arai is great.

Oct 6, 2015 6:57 AM

DmonHiro said:
Wow... so freaking gay. Why can't they make these shows where the males at least act a LITTLE like a guy would. You can't bet much more beta then these guys.

LOL someone's homophobic ;)

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

watch nodame cantabile

Oct 6, 2015 7:19 AM

There are alot of characters here. I hope they didnt bite off more than they can chew in regards to development in 12 episodes. It's really niche for target audience, something like Free, maybe for girls? I don't know why I'm watching it but it's definitely unique to what I've watched in the past lol

Oct 6, 2015 7:26 AM

ANA1979 said:
It's really niche for target audience, something like Free, maybe for girls? I don't know why I'm watching it but it's definitely unique to what I've watched in the past lol

Free!'s audience wasn't niche. It appealed to girls in general as well as sports anime fans that can be male. This show would appeal to girls who like music anime or idols or male seiyuu, which is even smaller than Free!'s target audience. Then again, Utapri has such a big fanbase so this one has the potential to become that too.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

watch nodame cantabile

Oct 6, 2015 7:27 AM

I think I'm crying in joy coz NO 3D ;O Or if there were any I sure didn't notice... I know I would just die in mortification if they began to do all the dances in 3D like the utapri s3 ending... FDSLFHDSLFHSDF D"X

Anyway Nayuki is the most adorable thing ever. Looking forward to see the main cast interacting in the next episode.

Oct 6, 2015 8:49 AM
Wow. So many negative comments. Like, it's a show aimed at girls, of course the guys will act a bit gay or whatever it is. I thought it was fine.

Nothing groundbreaking, but it does NOT deserve a pathetic score of 6.70 on MAL...just, no.

The studio doing this is pretty new, I think this is their second show so they're kinda playing it safe, and I don't exactly blame them, I understand their reasons. I hope this is a success for them.
Check out the News Club for daily rankings, discussion on future CD and BD releases, manga and novels. New members are welcome!

Oct 6, 2015 9:38 AM

phoenixalia said:
Wow. So many negative comments. Like, it's a show aimed at girls, of course the guys will act a bit gay or whatever it is. I thought it was fine.

Nothing groundbreaking, but it does NOT deserve a pathetic score of 6.70 on MAL...just, no.

The studio doing this is pretty new, I think this is their second show so they're kinda playing it safe, and I don't exactly blame them, I understand their reasons. I hope this is a success for them.

I ABSOLUTELY agree with you, in like everything you wrote.
It surprised me as well that this show has this many negative comments (come on it wasn't even THAT bad). In my opinion it was a great 1st episode. I admit I enjoyed a lot. It was very entertaining for me :) I'm looking forward to seeing more of it. Who knows, this could turn into my favorite show of the season lol

Oct 6, 2015 10:01 AM

I sense BL
"I lost all of what you could call feelings of love. They weren't sealed, so they can't be released. They weren't broken, so they can't be fixed. That which is lost, cannot be recovered." Shiba Tatsuya
"There are no regrets. If one can be proud of one's life, one should not wish for another chance." Saber
"Let it go." Elsa
"No matter what happens, no matter how crazy things get, I'll always try to restore balance." Korra
"It's madness to let others take what's yours and accept it blindly." Baatar Jr
"Instinct is a lie, told by a fearful body, hoping to be wrong." Zaheer

Oct 6, 2015 10:09 AM

Once my bets this season <33 by more than half is silly love seeing these things with music not to mention that this is a Nayuki love <3

Oct 6, 2015 10:41 AM

mayukachan said:

That's bull. I loved both seasons of Free! and those had way more manservice then this. The characters in Free! acted like real humans, at least a little. They weren't just one-dimensional caricatures: the shy one, the rude one, the flamboyant one.

Oct 6, 2015 11:06 AM

well that was fucking boring

Oct 6, 2015 11:28 AM

I've been pretty excited for this series since it was announced :3 I was starting to lose hope in boy/singing/dancing animes (especially after that utapri season lol)

I probably cant take this series seriously (so many exagerated fabulousness lol), its a good laugh~ I like it much better than shounen hollywood. Depending on how it goes, i might even like it more than Utapri (plotwise)

The art style and character designs are pretty normal compared to utapri. But its still good (i like it better than shounen hollywood...) Im really glad they didnt go with cg dancing (like in utapri).

they wern't kidding with the "musical" part lol. In utapri, i usually dont really like the characters songs, but so far ive been liking all the songs in this series. I enjoyed the OP, ED, Insert Songs. and even the OST.

Overall, I liked it~ Excited for the next episode~
( ´ ▽ ` )ノ

Oct 6, 2015 11:50 AM

I feel like I'm the only one who didn't cringe. It did kind of make me want to laugh. Especially the pompous guy. However, I actually enjoyed it. Will be picking this one up.

Oct 6, 2015 1:18 PM

After the first couple of minutes I thought it looked interesting. But then I just went what the heck am I watching... Anyhow, I'm still curious about this series. So I'll keep up to it probably ^-^

Oct 6, 2015 3:09 PM

OMG, Why did I like this so much?
Whats going on my fangirl heart???

Anyway, found the characters funny, and can't wait to see them interact more.
Very funny.

Oct 6, 2015 3:31 PM

PinkPetals said:
phoenixalia said:

It surprised me as well that this show has this many negative comments (come on it wasn't even THAT bad). In my opinion it was a great 1st episode. I admit I enjoyed a lot. It was very entertaining for me :) I'm looking forward to seeing more of it. Who knows, this could turn into my favorite show of the season lol

It's not the best anime this season but I didn't think it was as bad as people are saying I didn't get bored watching it Lance N' Masques was the worst I've seen so far

Oct 6, 2015 3:33 PM
Anime Moderator
DmonHiro said:
mayukachan said:

That's bull. I loved both seasons of Free! and those had way more manservice then this. The characters in Free! acted like real humans, at least a little. They weren't just one-dimensional caricatures: the shy one, the rude one, the flamboyant one.

But it's the first episode...I'm pretty sure Free! started out that way too, Haruka was just some weird, quiet guy who had an obsession with water, and Makoto was just that nice caring friend, and Nagisa the happy-go-lucky kid. You said you enjoyed Free!, but imo many of the guys don't act like normal guys would in that show, although it's debatable. What's wrong with being beta anyways?

Oct 6, 2015 4:19 PM

PinkSheep said:
PinkPetals said:

It's not the best anime this season but I didn't think it was as bad as people are saying I didn't get bored watching it Lance N' Masques was the worst I've seen so far

Yes I'm pretty sure the majority of the people that are watching it are gonna say it isn't the best, I can understand that.

Personally, it was a fun 1st episode that made me smile, laugh and simply gave me a happy feeling. Those reason alone make it my favorite of the fall season (probably, if they keep the pacing right) :) it's really just my personal opinion. It's not like I'm hurting anyone with it :P

Oct 6, 2015 5:08 PM
mayukachan said:

This was a decent first episode. They built up a lot of the things that would happen in the next few episodes already. We know a bit about each character (except the purple haired boy). Main boy (voiced by Natsuki Hanae) seems like the typical sunshine center boy like Otoya (from Utapri). And the quiet/shy boy (voiced by Ono Kensho) feels like Haruichi (from Daiya no Ace) which is weird because Natsuki Hanae is doing the main boy here????

Yeah, it kinda weirds me out since most of characters Hanae has voice isn't pretty happy-go-lucky as the main lead here.(eg. Inaho[A/Z],Elam[ArslanSenki],Arima Kosei[Shigatsu] and Kaneki Ken[TokyoGhoul]). So yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if others would be shocked to see who's voicing the main lead.

Oct 6, 2015 7:57 PM

Meh has potential

Oct 6, 2015 8:22 PM

The more I think about this anime the more I like it. I can't stop being amused at the characters suddenly breaking out in song and dance, and the ED has stuck already.

Another plus point is that there isn't a bland female MC that all the guys have to fight over and they can just focus on building the guys' friendship (also a plus that this show doesn't seem like it will go down the BL route at all).

There's been largely positive comments from those who watched it in Japan because it's really funny to watch and they're hooked. It doesn't seem like that many people are watching it (understandable since men would avoid it) but it definitely has potential to grow.

Oct 7, 2015 2:07 AM

tingy said:
What's wrong with being beta anyways?

Uhm... everything. Why would I want to watch a spineless wuss?

Oct 7, 2015 2:56 AM
Anime Moderator
DmonHiro said:
tingy said:
What's wrong with being beta anyways?

Uhm... everything. Why would I want to watch a spineless wuss?

I don't see any spineless wusses so far, aside from Nayuki who has stage fright. I have certain archetypes that I dislike too and can't stand, but if you feel that there are only beta characters so far (I really only see one), then you have the option to drop it since you don't wish to watch a spineless wuss. Also, not everyone dislikes watching "beta" males, they're typically the ones that get the most character development. Of course you have the right to complain, but I feel like your complaint is an unfair one. If you see the characters as beta, then that definitely won't change within the next 11 episodes. That being said, I don't think this was a great first episode either, however I am interested in learning about the characters at the very least.

Oct 7, 2015 4:26 AM
The feels whenever Otori appears on screen I can't. He sure is the lady killer for me ♥
He is so charismatic was really beautiful dancing under the rain I'd steal him away.

Oct 7, 2015 7:55 AM

DmonHiro said:
mayukachan said:

Nah, I don't think any of the characters from Starmyu or Free! act like one dimensional characters. You're judging based off one episode, so yeah.

And like tingy said, there's nothing wrong with being "beta". LMAO

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

watch nodame cantabile

Oct 7, 2015 9:12 AM

I actually found this to be pretty enjoyable. I cringed at some scenes tho...
And the character designs are kinda meh (well, some guys looked okay tho).

Oct 7, 2015 11:50 AM

This anime is going to make me cringe so hard. It was kinda hard to sit through at first but picked up, the 5 main guys look interesting but the dudes who sang that embarrassing song look annoying. I dont really understand why there was a random song with the MC thrown in there, pls give us one with Nayuki. I liked the ending song so will try my hardest to sit through this for the music and Nayuki.
It also looks really awkward when they dance with those long thin legs..

Oct 7, 2015 12:51 PM
I watched it because I found it accidentally. And for my surprise.... it was pretty good. Ofc it seems to be kind of cliché and the plot is little bit too predictable, but somewhy I liked it.

Songs were good. I liked the Kao-kai ego song (or whatever its title is). I laughed so much because I imagined what would happen if my school council would start to sing and dance in front of the school house.

Definitely going to watch next episode ;)

Oct 7, 2015 1:14 PM
Sanji Fangirl

The cliche idol show of the season XD

Oct 7, 2015 3:40 PM

That was amazing <333

Can't wait for Team Otori to sing as a group.

But I hope to hear Toru, Tengeji, Keito, and Shuu sing solo <33333333

Oct 7, 2015 4:37 PM

silverwalls said:
the guy voiced by suwabe is going to be best boy, calling it now.

Yay I agree! c: Characters voiced by him tend to be my favorite characters...FOR SOMEHOW...

Oct 7, 2015 9:19 PM
lizzy_pls said:
Bland. Especially the music.

The music is supposed to be bland and inoffensive. People doesn't buy it for it's quality, but rather because they like the idoru (character). So they don't want to stop anyone doing that by making the music something only a specific group would appreciate.

Oct 7, 2015 9:21 PM

Helpme said:
lizzy_pls said:
Bland. Especially the music.

The music is supposed to be bland and inoffensive. People doesn't buy it for it's quality, but rather because they like the idoru (character). So they don't want to stop anyone doing that by making the music something only a specific group would appreciate.
I've heard the character song previews, it's just this episode that has particularly weak music. They improve later, when it's time for Maeno and Hosoya to sing their solos. Natsuki, OnoK and Arthur are all newbies in the music industry, so don't expect much.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

watch nodame cantabile

Oct 7, 2015 9:38 PM
the Insert song sounded a lot like
Niji Iro no Furyūgeru OR Gyakkō no Furyūgeru

from symphogear

Oct 8, 2015 2:57 AM

Not usually in to idol animes but I'll give it a shot. Can not take tha dancing seriously tho...it looks very silly.

Oct 8, 2015 4:59 AM

Oh lord, this sure is a thing. At least the music's decent and there are some characters who look like my type, even if some of the designs are generic (Makishima, Kageyama and Rei seem to have abandoned their respective sports and taken up musicals).

Certainly not great but eh, it might turn out okay. It feels kinda blasphemous to not have Taniyama Kishou there, since he has one of the nicest singing voices of any seiyuu ;_;. I assume he was either busy with other stuff or they just couldn't work him in, though. (Could have also done with OnoD, because he's proven himself to be good at musical anime before.)

Oct 8, 2015 7:07 AM

Some people here may find the dances silly/cringey (which is fine since everyone has different perspectives) but anyway just wanted to say this is pretty much the kind of dancing that Japanese audiences are used to for male groups. A choreographer called "Tadako" who has choreographed several dances for Japan's most popular male idol group (Arashi) did the choreography in this show.

Oct 8, 2015 3:35 PM

It's so gay I love it. Yes, feminine men exist.

Oct 8, 2015 4:24 PM
Anime Moderator
komasan said:
Some people here may find the dances silly/cringey (which is fine since everyone has different perspectives) but anyway just wanted to say this is pretty much the kind of dancing that Japanese audiences are used to for male groups. A choreographer called "Tadako" who has choreographed several dances for Japan's most popular male idol group (Arashi) did the choreography in this show.

Not sure about other people, but me finding the dances cringey is more about the animation looking stiff rather the choreography. I used to watch Arashi, NEWS, Hey! Say! Jump!, etc, and while I find Japanese idol choreography to be cheesy in general, I actually still like (some of) them. If the animation was slightly more fluid like ShoHolly, the dancing sequence probably wouldn't make me feel second-hand embarrassment. For other people though, I think idol dancing is really just not their thing, lol.

One of Shounen Hollywood's dance btw, for comparison on the animation:

I think maybe it's also because of the character designs that might make dancing in Starmyu look stiff, like the long slim legs for one.

Oct 8, 2015 5:18 PM

tingy said:
If the animation was slightly more fluid like ShoHolly, the dancing sequence probably wouldn't make me feel second-hand embarrassment.

I think maybe it's also because of the character designs that might make dancing in Starmyu look stiff, like the long slim legs for one.

ShoHolly's dances are mostly rotoscoped from their real-life counterparts (idol unit Zen the Hollywood), so that's the main reason of the fluidity, basically. Starmyu is probably doing from scratch, so it's okay (It's better that UtaPri 3's ending after all).
"愛の意味も知らない、僕らを許してください"

Oct 8, 2015 5:37 PM

Shizucchi said:
(It's better that UtaPri 3's ending after all).
everything is better than utapri s3's ending LMAO

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

watch nodame cantabile

Oct 8, 2015 5:53 PM
Anime Moderator
Shizucchi said:

ShoHolly's dances are mostly rotoscoped from their real-life counterparts (idol unit Zen the Hollywood), so that's the main reason of the fluidity, basically. Starmyu is probably doing from scratch, so it's okay (It's better that UtaPri 3's ending after all).

I know it's rotoscoped :) It still looks better than Starmyu (imo), which is what I was getting at. Idol dances isn't what a lot of people here are used to or like, but with the stiff looking movements, it adds to the "cringe" factor.

Oct 9, 2015 8:38 AM

This was so amusing :3
So many hotties >_<

"You'll watch again, right?"
Of course I'll watch again, you cutie!

Oct 9, 2015 9:59 AM
Kinda lame and boring, I gave up after 7 minutes. Waste of time.

Oct 9, 2015 11:11 AM

Hell yeah!i love trashy idol animus
few seconds in and i already knew i choose the right thing,mhm

(now lets hope i can get some otp out of this)

Oct 9, 2015 2:28 PM

I don't even know why I started watching this lol. Such a shitty season so far. Dropped.

Oct 9, 2015 3:28 PM

hahhaha even more corny than utapi I enjoy seein stars and hearts and that music hahhah
and how they dance <3 hot guys hahhah i laught so much love it
that´s what i need this season i´m very happy !!!!
and there is suwabe junichi <3 ono kensho hosoya yoshimasa wow
Maeno, Tomoaki....the voice of hak son from akatsuki no yona <3 love itlove it looooove it

Oct 10, 2015 4:44 AM

still wondering why this reminded me of love live so much.

Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »