Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Asterisk War (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Oct 3, 2015 4:53 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Pretty generic start.

MC sees Julis half naked while dressing and we get the "OH SHIT, HE SAW IT" moment.
However, I will say that the action was kinda decent. Not impressive but tolerable. Overall pretty meh show and it's like a guilty pleasure of the season.

The action bits were probably the most noticeable parts...
I'm guessing that they will probably introduce some of the other characters later.

Oh and somewhat catchy music.
Oct 3, 2015 5:33 AM

Nov 2013
Stark700 said:
MC sees Julis half naked while dressing and we get the "OH SHIT, HE SAW IT" moment.

Every harem anime in a nutshell. Can't get more generic than that.

Apr 2014
Haters always gonna hate.
Apr 2014
Hmm why does this one get a split cour and the other harem magic LNs only get 1 cour? What do they see in this?
Oct 3, 2015 5:39 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
A friend of mine told me that this series does the whole school battle cliché the best out of all and that it's filled with decent political stuff so I'm sold

It's not going to be anything ground breaking but depending on how A-1 handles this, this should be one of the better generic series of this nature
Oct 3, 2015 5:48 AM

Apr 2014
Tokoya said:

It's not going to be anything ground breaking but depending on how A-1 handles this, this should be one of the better generic series of this nature

But the serious problem is: Ecchi + A1 Pictures = Useless BD. No nipples.
This should be just taken by J.C. Staff or other Studios who are expert on Ecchi anime.
Oct 3, 2015 5:52 AM

Jul 2013
Rayzer said:
Tokoya said:

This should be just taken by J.C. Staff or other Studios who are expert on Ecchi anime.

Tell that to SAO. It's obvious they're aiming for the same success as SAO for this one.

Oct 3, 2015 5:58 AM
Oct 2014
I am pretty sure its 2 cour because with that they will catch up to volume 6-7. Depending if they adapt it right.

Looking forward to next week.
Oct 3, 2015 5:58 AM
Aug 2012
Rayzer said:
Tokoya said:

There aren't too many fanservice or echhi scenes in the LN either so there is no point.

Oct 3, 2015 6:02 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Rayzer said:
Tokoya said:

I don't think that the source material had nudity either tbh

Click this if you love fanservice like me lol

Personally I won't mind considering that we're guaranteed to get that ecchi fix from Testament and DEFINITELY Valkyrie Drive. Rakudai doesn't have nudity in the LN either but it's still kinda raunchy so maybe we might have a chance of nudity for that one

Speaking of Rakudai, there was a huge war on reddit apparently over this all week and I'm going to die of laughter when the Asterisks vs Rakudai war inevitably comes here on MAL lol
Oct 3, 2015 6:05 AM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
The music's really good and the Art/Animation's top notch (because it's A-1), but just as I guessed, it's so generic (also because it's A-1)! Nevertheless it seems like fun.

3/5
Oct 3, 2015 6:07 AM

Jan 2015
Well, that was amazing.
Oct 3, 2015 6:21 AM

May 2010
Generic Harem Ecchi shit. drop
Oct 3, 2015 6:35 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
As typical as it can get for A1-Pictures. But accompanied by really good animation (unlike Gunslinger Stratos) and good music. The fight was pretty good as well. The cliché fanservice scenes are cringy as always. Both of the main characters have backstories to offer, so let's see where that goes.
Oct 3, 2015 6:43 AM
Luny Tunes

Feb 2012
I'm liking this already. Good character designs and the battle animation was fantastic. I love the music too. And our unapproachable princess has the same voice as Est & Isuzu Sento.

I'm also glad that this gets subbed just at the right time at night so I could watch this before I hit the sack. ヽ(;▽;)ノ Now if only other anime I like also air on similar timeslot as Asterisk..
Oct 3, 2015 6:45 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Throughout watching this episode, I couldn’t help but think that this could have turned out just amazing if it had been a Eushully SRPG instead of an anime. Like seriously I’d play the shit out of that

As it is however... sadly this just comes across as yet another magic academy anime like so many others before it. I hope it’ll primarily focus on the Festa aspect though; if it turns out to be more of a duel-oriented tournament story it might be pretty good, otherwise I’m not so sure
Oct 3, 2015 6:49 AM

Aug 2013
Nice OST. Art is not that bad for A1. Plot? Hmm not bad start I think, I hope it won't turn into 'all about battles' show (I don't know source material)
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Oct 3, 2015 6:49 AM

Jan 2015
HaXXspetten said:
Throughout watching this episode, I couldn’t help but think that this could have turned out just amazing if it had been a Eushully SRPG instead of an anime. Like seriously I’d play the shit out of that

I'm pretty sure that will come out a game for PS vita or something of this anime
Oct 3, 2015 6:52 AM

May 2015
Holy fuck, this was a pretty good first episode, and I loved that music and music sequence, and the visuals are great. The action was pretty decent. I'm looking forward to this one.
ReverberateOct 3, 2015 7:01 AM

Oct 3, 2015 6:58 AM
Aug 2012
Rayzer said:
Dragon_Slayer_X said:

There aren't too many fanservice or echhi scenes in the LN either so there is no point.

As if you even know how the fuck they move!
And you are just reading it!

Sorry for crushing your dreams and imagination........here have a candy.

Reading lns give you a very good idea anyway.

Oct 3, 2015 7:00 AM

Dec 2014
If the action is anything like it is in the OP, this might be a good watch.
Oct 3, 2015 7:04 AM

Feb 2015

A duel right off the bat. Fun way to start a series. The fanservice was typical of an ecchi, harem show but the duel was entertaining.

Ayato's combat skills must be great enough for him to be awarded a scholarship. The duels should be more interesting once the Festas begins.

SchwingBonerOct 3, 2015 7:10 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 3, 2015 7:06 AM
Jun 2015
Hmm...so generic harem? art and visuals are nice btw...hope this turns out to be good as I picked it in FAL...
Oct 3, 2015 7:11 AM

Apr 2013
Don't know if I'll like this series, but the episode wasn't that bad. OP is pretty nice.
Oct 3, 2015 7:12 AM

Apr 2013
The production values kept me grinning the whole episode. May be we finally found an anime that will beat Infinite Stratos off it's pedestal...
fear80Oct 3, 2015 7:20 AM
As of 27/7/14 I have decided trap anime Sword Art Online II has more appeal than Mahouka.
Oct 3, 2015 7:15 AM
Aug 2012
Rayzer said:
Dragon_Slayer_X said:

Sorry for crushing your dreams and imagination.
Reading lns give you a very good idea anyway.

Go tell that to Infinite Stratos. Only if you know it has it. (FYI It's not even ecchi but it has it)
Just admit it. A1-Pictures won't [/b]ever[/b] do away to add some "additional" details. Like nipples

No i know of IS, it's most things a harem anime can do wrong starting with not developing the MC and being wasted potential.

I like Asterisk for the action, story and characters.......as long as i get to see those, fanservice is only a bonus for me. Shinmai will provide you with more than enough fanservice this season.

Oct 3, 2015 7:17 AM

Sep 2010
Hmm... I am surprised. Even though it's a "generic harem advertisement for LN" and not anime, I still didn't drop it during the first episode.

It was hard to get through it as that LN protagonist logic " oh I will come in by the window, what can possibly go wrong?" was really hard to stomach. Then what follows is... "hmm she is thanking him? From her look I thought for sure she will be a Tsundere... few seconds later.... I WILL BURN YOU!"... ahhh... why do I see it again.

But the fighting scene were rather well executed and so far there are only two girls in the harem... the others will come soon I believe but not that bad. Also protagonist goal... well my sister is missing but screw that I just looking for something to do as I am bored... at least he isn't annoying in that aspect.

The most important part that usually pushes me away from those "generic harem advertisements for LN" is usually the fact that half of the episode are poor executed ecchi scenes and here only about 1/4 of it are ecchi scenes. My resilience wasn't even close to being broken.

All in all, I am pretty this will be rather poor, so with those low expectation maybe I will be pleasantly surprised... I really doubt that, I never expect anything from "generic harem advertisements for LN"
Oct 3, 2015 7:18 AM

Jun 2015
So lightsaber duel
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 3, 2015 7:19 AM

Nov 2012
Only seen that scenario at the beginning 1.2 billion times before.

Every one of these school battle type are copy paste. Retarded.
Oct 3, 2015 7:20 AM

Jun 2015
In the 500 rank already what in the world is going on
Oct 3, 2015 7:20 AM

Jan 2012
Hmmm...well that was an alright opening episode. Male MC's got a lost sister while the specifics of Female MC's goal remain unknown. Fanservice was a bit uninspired, which isn't good if that's intended to be the main drawing point, but we'll see if it can pick up.
Oct 3, 2015 7:21 AM

May 2015
Ecchi,Harem and Star Wars!
Oct 3, 2015 7:33 AM

Apr 2014
I could probably eat this shit up
Oct 3, 2015 7:35 AM

Jul 2014
Isnt there another show that aired today thats prety much EXACTLY like this?
Oct 3, 2015 7:38 AM

Feb 2015
Typical ecchi harem, but the animation is actually pretty good
Oct 3, 2015 7:38 AM
Oct 2015
Another harem, romance, action, magic, school genre anime. I think im tired with this kind of anime, it basically has the same story but diffrent characters. Well, it's not like i have watched this anime but i'll give it a try...
Oct 3, 2015 7:39 AM

Jul 2014
s0ck said:

That's generic LN ecchi/harems for you. A good thing is that Cavalry is remotely good in some way.
"Hi!"
Oct 3, 2015 7:41 AM

Jul 2013
s0ck said:

dunno what show you're referring to but most LNs are exactly like this
Oct 3, 2015 7:42 AM

Jul 2015
Well the ost was nice and the animation too
Dat op tho
A part from that it was generic af
I will stick with it tho since i need at least one comedy/harem/action per season'
Oct 3, 2015 7:43 AM

Jan 2015
Cyatek said:
s0ck said:

He is referring to Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry
Oct 3, 2015 7:44 AM

Aug 2015
Not bad at all imo.
Oct 3, 2015 7:45 AM

Aug 2013
eso18 said:
Hmm... I am surprised. Even though it's a "generic harem advertisement for LN" and not anime, I still didn't drop it during the first episode.

It was hard to get through it as that LN protagonist logic " oh I will come in by the window, what can possibly go wrong?" was really hard to stomach. Then what follows is... "hmm she is thanking him? From her look I thought for sure she will be a Tsundere... few seconds later.... I WILL BURN YOU!"... ahhh... why do I see it again.

But the fighting scene were rather well executed and so far there are only two girls in the harem... the others will come soon I believe but not that bad. Also protagonist goal... well my sister is missing but screw that I just looking for something to do as I am bored... at least he isn't annoying in that aspect.

The most important part that usually pushes me away from those "generic harem advertisements for LN" is usually the fact that half of the episode are poor executed ecchi scenes and here only about 1/4 of it are ecchi scenes. My resilience wasn't even close to being broken.

All in all, I am pretty this will be rather poor, so with those low expectation maybe I will be pleasantly surprised... I really doubt that, I never expect anything from "generic harem advertisements for LN"

Hmm... this show its a 2 cour so i don't know if is just "advertisement from Light Novel", i think the studio is investing on this one...

By the way i am loving the LN, have high expectations on this one.
Oct 3, 2015 7:46 AM
Feb 2015
I like it so far. It's a little different than the other harems. The action is actually pretty interesting and I really want to know what happened to the MC's sister.
[center] *>.>[Spoiler][/spoiler]<.<*
[center]
Oct 3, 2015 7:51 AM
Oct 2015
Xenocrisi said:
Cyatek said:

He is referring to Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry

Yes it is, this kind of anime is tiring...
Oct 3, 2015 7:56 AM

Jul 2014
Wow, haven't seen this exact same show 500 times already. Dammit Japan, get your shit together.
Oct 3, 2015 7:59 AM

Feb 2014
Aside from the cliches I loved the first episode. Amazing OST imo especially at the end of this episode, and the OP is really good too. The animation and the special effects are amazing as well. I'm sold.
Oct 3, 2015 7:59 AM

Aug 2014
Some basic level stuff, I guess, but it looks promising.

Oh, pitiful shadow cloaked in darkness.
Thy actions cause men pain and suffering.
Thy hollow soul drowns in thy sins.
How would you like to see what death is like?
-Enma Ai
Oct 3, 2015 8:00 AM

Apr 2014
My thoughts about the pilot episode:

Okay, The visuals and art are pretty good. Also the plot and story was interesting.
The OP's song (as the ED) was really good. And the animation of it was good too.
I guess I'm gonna watch this since I got some free time every Saturday night.
Oct 3, 2015 8:01 AM

Dec 2011
Urgh what a bad first episode, ppl said GE first eps is bad, now this is what I call a bad first eps. Full of generic cliche stuff, accidentally seeing naked girl, touched boobs, anger management girl, and overly familiar girl.

And that accidentally boob touch is no accident I tell you, When he push her and fell down his hands is not on her boobs, and when he get up it touched the ground and not her boobs, and seconds later when they are talking suddenly his hands is on her boobs?

I guess even with a beautiful high quality animation, a bad material will still be bad.

And it is somehow similar with seirei tsukai no blade dance, Missing important past person, school tournament, transfer student, red haired anger management princess, and other generic harem things.

The only thing that can make this interesting is that if the guy actually dated the main girl like Rakudai kishi. But I doubt that will happen
amc9988Oct 3, 2015 8:14 AM
Oct 3, 2015 8:03 AM

Aug 2008
Reeks of blandness but might be good enough to end up as a guilty pleasure. At least it should be better than the previous magic academy rain of cliches fighting sci-fi series...
Ii tenki desu ne...
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gakusen Toshi Asterisk Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Dec 19, 2015

201 by Foreall908 »»
Feb 8, 1:05 AM

Poll: » Gakusen Toshi Asterisk Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 21, 2015

116 by POLYTRON2K »»
Dec 28, 2023 11:23 PM

Poll: » Gakusen Toshi Asterisk Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 17, 2015

180 by Gutzdeep42 »»
May 29, 2023 5:17 AM

Poll: » Gakusen Toshi Asterisk Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 14, 2015

122 by Arlindox0 »»
Feb 27, 2023 5:20 AM

Poll: » Gakusen Toshi Asterisk Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Oct 24, 2015

220 by Azuki_Sayashi »»
Feb 17, 2023 7:26 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.