Forum Settings
Forums

Thoughts on death scenes for "feels" effect.

New
Oct 2, 2015 9:00 PM

Dec 2014
Sometimes I feel like death (or rape scene) can be a cheap way for someone to "feel" because it is overused and the easiest way for someone to feel sad for the characters. Just like every trope and cliches, it's good if done properly. I just wish more anime wouldn't rely only on those tactics. That's just my two cents tho.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 2, 2015 9:02 PM

Apr 2011
It's almost as if death is a sad thing.
Oct 2, 2015 9:05 PM

Mar 2015
only if :
>excecuted right
>actually give a sense
>proper use of death flag
>actually needed
>nice building
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Oct 2, 2015 9:06 PM

Jul 2014
Almost everything is cliches anyways, but it depends on how they use it.
Oct 2, 2015 9:17 PM

Aug 2015
Valaskjalf said:
It's almost as if death is a sad thing.
Oct 2, 2015 9:20 PM

Nov 2013
absentminded said:
only if :
>excecuted right
>actually give a sense
>actually needed
>nice building

This right here^

Code Geass
Oct 2, 2015 10:47 PM
Jun 2015
The death of a major character should have a permanent impact on the protagonists development and there should be multiple episodes showing the characters go through the 5 stages of grief. I can't stand Key anime in general because they often kill the character that has poor characterization and by the time the viewer takes in that death they already changed that tone back to its previous comedic, light hearted tone. Also a general rule is to make sure the dead character stays dead and try to avoid wishful happy endings like most KEY Anime.
Oct 2, 2015 10:54 PM

Jan 2015
Franco's death is sad
now look what happened to Spain and its separatists
Twitter and it's consequences had been a disaster for the human race
Oct 2, 2015 10:59 PM

Aug 2014
I always wondered what if one day, I became so used to these death feels, that I don't mourn for anyone anymore.
Just a joke.
Your taste in Anime is shit.

Because you can't differentiate between what's good and bad.

How sad.
Oct 2, 2015 11:01 PM

Feb 2015
The best 'feels' I felt is in Colorful, and in Fight Club, when Brad Pitt was shaved
Oct 2, 2015 11:08 PM

Jul 2012
Over 150,000 people die a day it was bound to happen in anime at some point.
As for rape I don't think I have watched any anime that took it that far.
Oct 2, 2015 11:11 PM

Nov 2014
Apparently it can put a shit anime on the 13th spot in top anime.

Oct 2, 2015 11:14 PM

Aug 2011
ExTamplier said:
Anything sad is at least an 8.
incisorr said:
i love it when people start acting like some neutral almighty unbiased godly judge and they even believe their own shit, suddenly its not their thoughts and opinions anymore but the righteous justice god way, they are unbiased, non-subjective, they just are! To be honest, everyone is like this quite often, me included, but i don't forget myself and i still post a lot of personal shit which is what forums are made for , if they didn't want us to have our own style and posts it would be an article instead a forum thread.
Oct 2, 2015 11:15 PM

Nov 2014
NekkoArc said:
ExTamplier said:
Mars of Destruction made me sad, why is is not the top spot?

Oct 2, 2015 11:16 PM

Aug 2014
ExTamplier said:
NekkoArc said:
It made you sad. You =/= everyone else.
Your taste in Anime is shit.

Because you can't differentiate between what's good and bad.

How sad.
Oct 2, 2015 11:17 PM

Dec 2012
ExTamplier said:
I was about to correct you and say that Charlotte is not 13. Whoops!
Oct 2, 2015 11:23 PM

Nov 2014
Grisaille said:
ExTamplier said:
It made you sad. You =/= everyone else.
If it didn't make someone sad for wasting his time, he has problems.

Oct 2, 2015 11:24 PM

Nov 2014
Ratohnhaketon said:
ExTamplier said:
I was about to correct you and say that Angel Beats is not 13. Whoops!
ftfy

Oct 2, 2015 11:45 PM

Mar 2014
Melodramatic bullshit faggotery
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Oct 2, 2015 11:53 PM

Oct 2014
I don't feel sad for the character that died. I just feel pusses at the author for choosing the easy way and ruining the experience.
Oct 3, 2015 1:35 AM

May 2015
I hate it when death is used for pure dramatic effect.

I need the death to have some sort of meaning. It needs either to conclude the dying character's arc, or to have a meaningful effect on another's development. Digimon Tamers got it right. It features a character death that is used to explore depression and grief. In Charlotte, a character dies but it has no bearings on the story.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Oct 3, 2015 1:48 AM

Aug 2015
TheBrainintheJar said:

I need the death to have some sort of meaning. It needs either to conclude the dying character's arc, or to have a meaningful effect on another's development. Digimon Tamers got it right. It features a character death that is used to explore depression and grief. In Charlotte, a character dies but it has no bearings on the story.

No need for meaning, most times I get emotional if someone dies of a sickness, like cancer. That really hits like a truck for me. You can put yourself in that position or compare it to real life. Or if the build-up is done extremely well--> feels, if the character dies then.
They just need to get the scene right, you know. Idd on Charlotte, the death scene could be better and prob was that we didn't see the character a lot trough the series.

Oct 3, 2015 2:12 AM

Feb 2015
Blarey said:
absentminded said:
only if :
>excecuted right
>actually give a sense
>actually needed
>nice building

This right here^

Code Geass
THE OPPOSITE OF

Really? Apart from
's hilarious facial expressions, I thought it was handled pretty well.
Now you're wondering if there's white text in any of my other posts.

Over there, I'm everywhere. I know that.
Oct 3, 2015 2:14 AM

Jun 2015
It can be well done and it can be done terribly. But yeah, a shitty death scene that is supposed to feel very dramatic in a forced way is appalling to watch .
Oct 3, 2015 2:21 AM

Aug 2015
Most of them are done horribly or feel tacked on just to drive the story...

but sometimes you get something like Ga Rei Zero.... i got some feels from that anime.
Oct 3, 2015 2:27 AM

Jul 2013
I hate the rape in Heaven's Feel. It was a cheap method to make Sakura more pitiable. As if she didn't suffer enough in Fate/Zero.
Oct 3, 2015 5:29 AM

Aug 2015
I am rather repulsed criticism of the execution of death scenes. I have no particular love for character's dying and have never felt very much from those sorts of scenes, but I would argue that is even worse and contrived when we speak of death in storytelling as some sort of scheme that plays some sort of higher structural purpose in a narrative.
Oct 3, 2015 5:50 AM

Feb 2013
I agree with TS.
I think the death in Code Geass discussed earlier in the thread is a good example of this.
Also Akame ga Killl still tries to make some deaths in the series seem emotional. Which I think is retarded and you'll understand once you see the series. Not sure if I should see it as comedy or just as bad but I didn't think it was funny actually so I just saw it as bad.
Oct 3, 2015 5:58 AM

Jun 2014
As long as it's not done in the same fashion that was witnessed in Chaos Dragon, then we're good to go.
All credit goes to Sacred.
Oct 3, 2015 4:55 PM

May 2015
Duatizer said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

No need for meaning, most times I get emotional if someone dies of a sickness, like cancer. That really hits like a truck for me. You can put yourself in that position or compare it to real life. Or if the build-up is done extremely well--> feels, if the character dies then.
They just need to get the scene right, you know. Idd on Charlotte, the death scene could be better and prob was that we didn't see the character a lot trough the series.

But why give the character cancer, unless it's important to the story?
Oct 3, 2015 4:58 PM

Jul 2012
Not sad: A side character you met two episodes ago gets killed off

Sad: A main character that was subtly foreshadowed to die but tries to live life to the fullest, dies in the end while a letter from her is being read by MC

;_;

I'm not over that show, btw.
Oct 4, 2015 2:11 AM

Jul 2013
If they are done right, they could be real tear jerker moments (many moments from FMA), if they are done bad, is only a cheap trick to make people feel bad (Akame ga Kill).
Oct 4, 2015 2:14 AM

Jan 2013
Killing a character just for the sake of killing a character is dumb as hell.
Oct 4, 2015 2:25 AM

Jun 2014
Archie's death hit me too hard

Oct 4, 2015 2:43 AM

Jan 2015
overused in shows that want to be "deep". If you want a deep anime, just think up of a good story and good fucking characters first. Then you can insert a death or two when it actually follows the trqin of thought of your story.
Oct 4, 2015 4:02 AM
Jun 2015
TheBrainintheJar said:

The reason often is for character development or for exploring themes relating to that tragedy. I think it depends on the person on what they view it as forced or great character development.
Oct 4, 2015 5:10 AM

May 2013
Most don't make me care about the character first, so I don't have a high opinion of it due to it being done poorly most of the time from what I've seen.

There was one in Naruto that I think was really done right though. It was

Oct 4, 2015 5:14 AM

May 2015
15poundfish said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

The reason often is for character development or for exploring themes relating to that tragedy. I think it depends on the person on what they view it as forced or great character development.

These are good reasons. If they only got cancer for dramatic effect, that's pretty exploitative.
Oct 4, 2015 5:40 AM

Jul 2015
Well it has to be done right, but I usually get pretty sad when people die
Oct 4, 2015 5:42 AM
Jun 2015
Blarey said:
absentminded said:
only if :
>excecuted right
>actually give a sense
>actually needed
>nice building

This right here^

Code Geass

I agree with you there so much! What was the point of killing off that character when
Oct 4, 2015 5:45 AM

Nov 2014
absentminded said:
only if :
>executed right
>actually give a sense
>actually needed
>nice building

Yes. Like in Ever 17, Heaven's Feel, Steins;Gate(vn), and Danganronpa 2.
True zetsubou.
Oct 4, 2015 5:46 AM

Dec 2014
Depends on how much you could attach yourself to that character. If it's a character introduced and then dies in the same or next episode it's hard to really have some form of 'feels'.
Oct 4, 2015 5:46 AM

Mar 2015
I strongly disagree with the people who unconditionally hate so-called unnecessary deaths.

Most importantly, "unnecessary" deaths remind the viewer that their characters aren't as safe as they think, which is important for the edge-of-the-seat aspect that makes any good thriller.

Some people complained about the deaths in the Female Titan arc because they barely got to know the characters that got killed, but they served a greater purpose of keeping the thrill in the thriller. I see no proof that their objective was to elicit some sort of strong emotional response. That was one of many events that kept me on the edge of my seat, making Attack on Titan a masterpiece thriller for me.
Oct 4, 2015 5:53 AM

May 2015
If you really want meaningless 'deaths'
read these shiity books
The Hunger Game Trilogy
Divergent Trilogy
The Maze Runner Series
every death in above books did not made me sad infact I was pissed off by them.
A Anime is yet to do that for me
TheGeniusBakaOct 4, 2015 6:21 AM

Best Shitty Reviews
“Like is like a blank canvas you paint it with whatever you want (colors,blood,sweat,shit etc)”
Current Season rec : Layton Mystery Tanteisha: Katri no Nazotoki File
I am an anime OST Maniac and they play a huge role in my rating for a anime.
interested ?
click the GIF>>>>>
Oct 4, 2015 5:55 AM
Jun 2015
Irrelative said:
absentminded said:
only if :
>executed right
>actually give a sense
>actually needed
>nice building

Yes. Like in Ever 17, Heaven's Feel, Steins;Gate(vn), and Danganronpa 2.
True zetsubou.

I like you. You know what visual novel and games are good. (But yes, Danganronpa 2 is a good example of a game that uses death scenes correctly.
Especially
Oct 4, 2015 5:57 AM

Jul 2013
FloatingIdiot said:
Some people complained about the deaths in the Female Titan arc because they barely got to know the characters that got killed, but they served a greater purpose of keeping the thrill in the thriller. I see no proof that their objective was to elicit some sort of strong emotional response. That was one of many events that kept me on the edge of my seat, making Attack on Titan a masterpiece thriller for me.

That people have a name. That name is fodder.
Oct 4, 2015 6:12 AM

Mar 2015
Illyricus said:
FloatingIdiot said:

They were a step above fodder though, at least as I usually see it used. Fodder just shows how strong the enemy is and doesn't make you worry about the main characters. The way the first season of Attack on Titan dismantles the plot armor of the main characters is unparalleled in anime that I've seen.
Oct 4, 2015 6:25 AM

Jul 2013
FloatingIdiot said:
Illyricus said:

They were a step above fodder though, at least as I usually see it used. Fodder just shows how strong the enemy is and doesn't make you worry about the main characters. The way the first season of Attack on Titan dismantles the plot armor of the main characters is unparalleled in anime that I've seen.

I understand your point. But thing here is that the people that were killed by the Female Titan weren't actually main characters (if you referred to Levi's Squad). They were fodder because they were only cool side characters that were created to demonstrate that being badass isn't the only requirement to survive in the Survey Corps. It demonstrate again the cruel world where the characters lives.

Also, their death wasn't even "feely", they didn't die like Akame ga Kill characters when a character is ripped in two by a dog and remembers its life before being eaten with cheesy flashbacks and sad music in the background, they were killed in a quick fashion and without many time to mourn its deaths.
Oct 4, 2015 7:34 AM

Oct 2014
Comic_Sans said:
Melodramatic bullshit faggotery

TheBrainintheJar said:

semianonymous said:
...feel tacked on just to drive the story...

Illyricus said:
...is only a cheap trick to make people feel bad.

HapHazrD said:
overused in shows that want to be "deep". If you want a deep anime, just think up of a good story and good fucking characters first. Then you can insert a death or two when it actually follows the train of thought of your story.

Dropped Cross Game after episode 1. It's supposed to be a good title but this poisoned the rest of the anime for me. Truly the height of shameless melodramatic tear-trolling.
Avatar: Anzu Kadotani from Girls und Panzer.

Oct 4, 2015 8:21 AM

Aug 2013
absentminded said:
only if :
>excecuted right
>actually give a sense
>actually needed
>nice building

Definitely this ^^^
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Why are most current goblins green?

Absurdo_N - Yesterday

22 by Ex-Aid »»
4 minutes ago

» Who are your enemies in the anime industry/fanbase?

Catalano - 1 hour ago

11 by Rhaelynne »»
7 minutes ago

» What will be the next KyoAni project? Tell me your thoughts.

Pinoffin - 3 hours ago

33 by Hitagi__Furude »»
16 minutes ago

» Has the isekai bubble finally burst ( 1 2 )

EastIndiaCompany - Apr 23

65 by Gator »»
18 minutes ago

» Attack on skibidi toilet (attack on Titan story but with skibidi toilet)

Cyborgium - Yesterday

5 by Nemo_Niemand »»
31 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.