Forum Settings
Forums
Oct 16, 2015 1:27 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 63
absentminded said:
but in practice most anime is created to be good. not to be bad.

Not really. Many use tactics to make you think it's good.

And why complicate things? Everyone should understand. Even a kid. We have a system to adhere to, so one understands the rating of an anime relatively the same way another one does.

10 Masterpiece - only a selected few should reach that score, they can have minor flaws but nothing should annoy you. "Masterpiece" is a word that calls for massive respect. (edit)
9 Great
8 Very Good
7 Good
6 Fine
5 Average - this is the middle, the neutral score
4 Bad
3 Very Bad
2 Horrible
1 Appalling
Aren't these descriptions just fine? If we don't adhere, we're just making communication worse.

Hisio said:
Since when did anime reviewers become "credible" or not. There's no expertise for anime lol it's all subjective, if you like it then it's good.

If you like it, then it's fine/good/very good/great/a masterpiece. Not just good.

If a 10-scale system is too much to handle, you can always rate your anime/manga using only pair numbers, or pairs plus 1 for your exceptions, etc. That'll just make you forgiving, for example.
Modified by Yeah, Oct 16, 2015 1:45 PM
 
Oct 16, 2015 1:30 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 63
CondemneDio said:

I rate with the whole scoring system:

10 Favorite anime, as close to perfect as possible (has flaws of course)
9 Great, but has some problems
8 Very good, has a major problem or lots of smaller ones
7 Good, enjoyable but has big problems
6 Fine, not good, but has some enjoyable aspects
5 Average, good and bad things balance each other out
4 Bad, serious problems
3 Very bad, hard to find anything to enjoy
2 Horrible, huge problems and thoroughly unenjoyable
1 Appalling, makes me nauseous or pisses me off seriously


I guess I just don't find myself really disliking/hating very much anime (although my only 2 rated show fits this for me)
Some people are into that kind of thing.
 
Oct 16, 2015 1:34 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 31231
Eclapa said:
absentminded said:
but in practice most anime is created to be good. not to be bad.
Not really. Many use tactics to make you think it's good.

And why complicate things? Everyone should understand. Even a kid. We have a system to adhere to, so one understands the rating of an anime relatively the same way another one does.

10 Masterpiece - only a selected few should reach that score, they can have minor flaws but nothing should annoy you.
9 Great
8 Very Good
7 Good
6 Fine
5 Average - this is the middle, the neutral score
4 Bad
3 Very Bad
2 Horrible
1 Appalling
Aren't these descriptions just fine? If we don't adhere, we're just making communication worse.
yes, i also find mal definition is better. but how about the standard it self become same? it ratings will depend on your standard anyways. thats why understanding difference is more important in comunication rather than make the standard same.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
 
Oct 16, 2015 1:42 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 119
Did A little bit above average on everyday anime troupes
CLICK ME!
 
Oct 16, 2015 1:49 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 63
absentminded said:
yes, i also find mal definition is better. but how about the standard it self become same? it ratings will depend on your standard anyways. thats why understanding difference is more important in comunication rather than make the standard same.

Could you rephrase that please? I'm not sure I understand.
 
Oct 16, 2015 2:05 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 31231
Eclapa said:
Could you rephrase that please? I'm not sure I understand.
yes, i also find mal definition is better.

but how make everyone standard it self become same? those ratings will depend on everyone personal standard anyways. thats why understanding the difference is more important in comunication rather than make the standard same.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
 
Oct 16, 2015 3:57 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 63
absentminded said:
Eclapa said:
Could you rephrase that please? I'm not sure I understand.
yes, i also find mal definition is better.

but how make everyone standard it self become same? those ratings will depend on everyone personal standard anyways. thats why understanding the difference is more important in comunication rather than make the standard same.

Of course, but that doesn't need to make the neutral score other than 5.

This makes the most sense:
10 wonders, unsurpassed (It's called "Masterpiece" for a reason. it's not a word to throw around at everything.)
9/8/7/6 positive
5 neutral, not particularly good but not particularly bad neither
4/3/2/1 negative

When I look at someone's list full of 10, 9 or even 8, I don't understand him. Even if he gueninely enjoys positive anime that much, it doesn't change the fact that 5 is the average. If said person really needs to show his enjoyment with high scores, then it's fine if he puts only a few in 10 and most in 9 and 8, but the negative anime have to go below 5 because that's where the scores mean an anime/manga is bad.
Modified by Yeah, Oct 16, 2015 4:06 PM
 
Oct 16, 2015 4:15 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2015
Posts: 464
Slightly above average
 
Oct 16, 2015 4:17 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 25355
Below average to slightly bad, 5 is a bad anime and anything 4 or under is abysmal.


 
Oct 16, 2015 4:21 PM
Offline
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 17
6 /10 is an average for me.. I'll still try it because i might enjoy it even if someone is not really interested in it..
 
Oct 16, 2015 5:13 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 63
Eclapa said:
the negative anime have to go below 5 because that's where the scores mean an anime/manga is bad.

my problem is that if I finished a series, it means I at least enjoyed it and felt positive about it.

but if I'm not enjoying an anime I'll drop it. and I don't like rating anime that I haven't seen all of
Some people are into that kind of thing.
 
Oct 16, 2015 5:33 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2014
Posts: 571
Better than average
 
Oct 16, 2015 6:06 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 63
BanananaPudding said:
Eclapa said:
the negative anime have to go below 5 because that's where the scores mean an anime/manga is bad.

my problem is that if I finished a series, it means I at least enjoyed it and felt positive about it.

but if I'm not enjoying an anime I'll drop it. and I don't like rating anime that I haven't seen all of

This doesn't seem like an issue for me. If you only rate anime you enjoy, you only have positive scores. You just cut your list from the score where you don't finish the anime.

For those interested, I've posted a suggestion.
Color code in score selection (with a little clarification of things)
 
Oct 16, 2015 6:37 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 7582
6/10 is decent/above average for me.
 
Oct 16, 2015 6:45 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 31231
Eclapa said:
absentminded said:
yes, i also find mal definition is better.

but how make everyone standard it self become same? those ratings will depend on everyone personal standard anyways. thats why understanding the difference is more important in comunication rather than make the standard same.
When I look at someone's list full of 10, 9 or even 8, I don't understand him. Even if he gueninely enjoys positive anime that much, it doesn't change the fact that 5 is the average. If said person really needs to show his enjoyment with high scores, then it's fine if he puts only a few in 10 and most in 9 and 8, but the negative anime have to go below 5 because that's where the scores mean an anime/manga is bad.
you know, people prefer to forgot their bad experience right?
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
 
Oct 16, 2015 6:50 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 5294
1-9 is shit, 10 is good :^)
 
Oct 16, 2015 6:59 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 63
absentminded said:
you know, people prefer to forgot their bad experience right?

And what's your point?
 
Oct 16, 2015 7:10 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 31231
Eclapa said:
absentminded said:
you know, people prefer to forgot their bad experience right?
And what's your point?
people that just join MAL would not remember their bad experience. also some people not even bother it to add to list just for the sake of raating it low.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
 
Oct 16, 2015 7:25 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 63
absentminded said:
people that just join MAL would not remember their bad experience. also some people not even bother it to add to list just for the sake of raating it low.

This doesn't disprove that:
[10] Masterpiece, it's called that for a reason.
[9,8,7,6] Positive scale
[5] Average. The line is here
[4,3,2,1] Negative scale
[0] Not an option.

If said people don't bother to add bad experiences to their lists, all they're left with is:
[10] Masterpiece, it's called that for a reason.
[9,8,7,6] Positive scale
[5] Average. The line is here

Nothing changes.
Modified by Yeah, Oct 19, 2015 3:39 AM
 
Jan 1, 2016 9:57 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 3463
For me a 6/10 is not bad at all. When I have given an anime a 6/10 rating it means I still enjoyed it, but there were many flaws in it that were not possible to overlook or the writing was sort of mediocre.

Idk why people think of a 6 out of 10 the same way they would think of a 4 out of 10, but some people seem to think a 6 is really bad.

So how do you guys view a 6 out of 10? Is it a really bad anime to you or is it still enjoyable to a certain extent?
Banner credit to @turnip
 
Jan 1, 2016 9:58 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 1469
Above average.

.....................above average.
 
Jan 1, 2016 9:59 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 286
Well it's in between and up for 1 point.

Should be good , not great , but it's you know , right there in line.
 
Jan 1, 2016 9:59 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 24286
Surprisingly, the opinion depends on which anime it is!
 
Jan 1, 2016 10:01 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 3463
Ckan said:
Surprisingly, the opinion depends on which anime it is!


I agree. I have different animes rated with a 6 and I have given each one a 6 for very different reasons.
meraviglioso said:
I don't use 6s. You only need 10s and 4s.


Dang your mean score is below a 2 lol that's the lowest I have seen yet.
Banner credit to @turnip
 
Jan 1, 2016 10:02 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 1007
Five is average. Anything above that, I found good. Whether I gave it a six, or a ten, depends on how good I found it.
 
Jan 1, 2016 10:04 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 150
Pretty good, but it had a few flaws, like has been said. ^w^ I don't think a 6/10 is a bad rating at all
 
Jan 1, 2016 10:05 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 6478
I feel like it was a decent show that I would recommend if I ever saw it fit a request.
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

 
Jan 1, 2016 10:06 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 3894
I already made a thread just like this one. :/
>>Petition for a legal reform for the law regarding sexual violence in Japan<<

http://chng.it/tXTbL2yJgG
 
Jan 1, 2016 10:06 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 3463
AltoRoark99 said:
I already made a thread just like this one. :/


You did? Oops
I didn't see it lol sorry
Banner credit to @turnip
 
Jan 1, 2016 10:11 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 3894
KonaKoffee4 said:
AltoRoark99 said:
I already made a thread just like this one. :/


You did? Oops
I didn't see it lol sorry

It's cool :3

It's actually nice to see someone else who came up with this idea for a thread. :P
>>Petition for a legal reform for the law regarding sexual violence in Japan<<

http://chng.it/tXTbL2yJgG
 
Jan 1, 2016 10:12 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 3463
AltoRoark99 said:
KonaKoffee4 said:


You did? Oops
I didn't see it lol sorry

It's cool :3

It's actually nice to see someone else who came up with this idea for a thread. :P


True!

Well what is your opinion on this very important issue? Lol
Banner credit to @turnip
 
Jan 1, 2016 10:14 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 3894
According to the rating scale in my "About Me" section, it means "I kinda like it".

In other words, it was somewhat enjoyable to an extent, but I don't feel like it's worth recommending or rewatching. Just slightly above average.

So yeah, it's not "bad", but not all that memorable.
>>Petition for a legal reform for the law regarding sexual violence in Japan<<

http://chng.it/tXTbL2yJgG
 
Jan 1, 2016 10:16 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 959
A little above average. Solid shows, that I would probably recommend.
Brace yourself.

Soon as LotGH 2017 comes out. The anime community is going to become so cancerous you will need to take cover and hide.
 
Jan 1, 2016 10:16 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 3463
AltoRoark99 said:
According to the rating scale in my "About Me" section, it means "I kinda like it".

In other words, it was somewhat enjoyable to an extent, but I don't feel like it's worth recommending or rewatching. Just slightly above average.

So yeah, it's not "bad", but not all that memorable.


Exactly. I asked this question because someone sent me an angry message asking me why I gave clannad a 6/10.
But it's not as if I disliked it! Lol
Banner credit to @turnip
 
Jan 1, 2016 10:17 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2015
Posts: 4300
6/10 anime are the underachievers;
Plenty of potential but don't try hard enough, in the end the results are just about respectable but still kind of dissapointing.
 
Jan 1, 2016 10:17 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 15454
It's.....just fine, not bad.

It's a bit above average, I quite enjoyed it.
 
Jan 1, 2016 10:19 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 3894
Too many people see 6/10 as a bad score. It's not a bad score at all. I just wish people would quit limiting their rating scale to something like 7-10 and be more open-minded and honest for a change.
>>Petition for a legal reform for the law regarding sexual violence in Japan<<

http://chng.it/tXTbL2yJgG
 
Jan 1, 2016 10:20 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 4156
I think 7 is average, so a 6 is like slightly below average.
 
Jan 1, 2016 10:20 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 1524
It was alright had glaring flaws not something I would watch again.
 
Jan 1, 2016 10:20 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 1132
Everyone has their own tastes in rating anime so its fine.
 
Jan 1, 2016 10:21 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 506
It's above average. Not a show I'd go out of my way to re watch but a solid and enjoyable show nonetheless.
 
Jan 1, 2016 10:23 PM
Offline
Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 1967
average. i will most probably drop it unless it is very short.
 
Jan 1, 2016 10:24 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 506
KonaKoffee4 said:
AltoRoark99 said:
According to the rating scale in my "About Me" section, it means "I kinda like it".

In other words, it was somewhat enjoyable to an extent, but I don't feel like it's worth recommending or rewatching. Just slightly above average.

So yeah, it's not "bad", but not all that memorable.


Exactly. I asked this question because someone sent me an angry message asking me why I gave clannad a 6/10.
But it's not as if I disliked it! Lol
Well that's just the kind of people that the Internet brings out.
 
Jan 1, 2016 10:26 PM
Offline
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 152
I mostly drop anything that's below a 6.

6 to me means it's barely watchable. Usually something I considered a 7 at first, then it went to shit but I was too far in to drop.
Cute, not pedo.
 
Jan 1, 2016 10:30 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 2163
I've only rated a few shows with a 6, but I will say they are above average.
NasalShark said:
I'd love to squeeze your nipples until they look like a purple slushie, Senpai.

 
Jan 1, 2016 10:31 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 5215
If I rank a show a 5/10 then that's basically me saying I think the show is mediocre. I probably didn't enjoy the show that much. A 7/10 is what I consider to be a good series. Not a great series, but a solid one that I definitely enjoyed watching.

6/10 is in the middle. A fairly average series that I somewhat enjoyed. I'd hesitate to call it a good series, but it wasn't a complete waste of time either.
Modified by SeibaaHomu, Jan 1, 2016 10:32 PM
 
Jan 1, 2016 10:32 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 8885
For me a 6 means mediocre. Tolerable but not really good.
 
Jan 1, 2016 10:32 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2014
Posts: 2559
It depends what type.
If it's a TV series, 6 is bad(never given this score yet tho)
OVA-fine
Music-fine
Short-good
ONA-good
Hentai-Very very good!
( ゚∀゚)o Favorite: Clannad, Aria, Higurashi, Monster, Idol Anime ✌('ω'✌ )三✌('ω')✌三( ✌'ω')✌
( ゚∀゚)ノ【LOVE】Sonoda Umi & Kisaragi Chihaya .+:。(*≧∇≦*)゚.+:。大好き!!
My old username was superlink1205
”リア充なんてそもそも都市伝説”〜白
 
Jan 1, 2016 10:34 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 4330
6 Average to slightly above average.
5 Average to below average.
4 Bad
3 Really bad
2 Wtf am I watching?
1 Rosario+Vampire S2
 
Jan 1, 2016 10:35 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 8885
I should probably state that the way I think of scores is like test scores.

100 is an A
90 is a B
80 is a C
70 is a D
Anything lower is an F.
 
Top
Pages (10) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »