Forum Settings
Forums

Japan's Weekly Manga Rankings for Sep 21 - 27

New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Oct 1, 2015 3:22 PM
Sep 2014
Why do you care about the first and week and second week sales?? They are not an indicator if a series declined or not. what matters is the sales at the end of the year and compare the numbers to the previous years . That is how you know the series declined .
Oct 1, 2015 3:23 PM
Sep 2015
RedHair-Shanks said:
Why do you care about the first and week and second week sales?? They are not an indicator if a series declined or not. what matters is the sales at the end of the year and compare the numbers to the previous years . That is how you know the series declined .

Toriko fanboys will grab any straws they can find.
Oct 1, 2015 3:45 PM

Apr 2015
3-gatsu no Lion sold amazingly...
It's time you look inward and begin asking yourself the big question, "Who are you, and what do you want?" - Uncle Iroh
Oct 1, 2015 3:56 PM

Jun 2015
WhiteFlamee said:
RedHair-Shanks said:

That has nothing to do with fanboyism, while the first and second week are a big factor to the year-end sales its not that a volume only gets sales in the first and second week and many manga sales are different from what you expect at the beginning.
Oct 1, 2015 4:00 PM

Nov 2013
Ippo going strong!
Oct 1, 2015 4:03 PM

Dec 2014
Bleh, boring top 10.

Always good to see Akatsuki no Yona selling though.
Oct 1, 2015 4:11 PM

Sep 2013
AdmiralKizaru98 said:
WhiteFlamee said:

That has nothing to do with fanboyism, while the first and second week are a big factor to the year-end sales its not that a volume only gets sales in the first and second week and many manga sales are different from what you expect at the beginning.

Toriko's latest volume won't make the year end list, but will still be at 400K+ in about a year.
That's a good 150K+ in consistent sales after leaving the list.
45. *22,191 *,254,190 Toriko Vol.36
Oct 1, 2015 4:15 PM
Sep 2015
ichii_1 said:
AdmiralKizaru98 said:

Toriko's latest volume won't make the year end list, but will still be at 400K+ in about a year.

Toriko won't make the top 30 period. Unless we have Toei help.
Oct 1, 2015 6:00 PM
May 2015
ichii_1 said:
AdmiralKizaru98 said:

lol Toriko
Oct 1, 2015 6:11 PM
Sep 2014
Toriko has never been popular in Japan, and will never be popular unless it gets a full anime reboot.

I also think it just isn't a series that Japanese on the whole appreciate. It seems the west likes it far more than the Japanese do. I just hope it's popular enough to continue serialization.
Oct 1, 2015 6:35 PM

Nov 2007
RedHair-Shanks said:

1st and 2nd weeks are the best way to compare volume to volume sales because you could have the most recent volume selling for 2 weeks before the yearly list, and then you could have the previous volume selling for many weeks. Then when you compare the 2 volumes, you'd go, "OMG the sales are much lower than the previous volume!"... but the most recent volume was only on sale for 2 weeks.

Usually the 2nd week sales negates most of the advantage or disadvantage the current volume has over previous volumes due to being on sale for more days or less days in the 1st week. This is provided the variables are similar, because a new anime adaptation would most likely provide a boost to newer volumes, thereby meaning 1st week sales of newer volumes would be higher than previous volumes.

With the yearly sales, you need to be careful as well if you are comparing yearly sales to past yearly sales, because it depends on how many volumes have been on sale for the year. One example is ONE PIECE, as its 2015 yearly sales will definitely be higher than the 11.8M it had in 2014. Simple reason is that it has 4 new volumes for 2015, compared to the 3 new volumes for 2014. As mentioned before, other factors such as a new anime adaptation would obviously mean that sales are higher than they would've been for the year.
EjcOct 1, 2015 6:40 PM
The News Club: Quality News/Discussion (anime, CDs, manga, novels, games, seiyuu), & sales data (daily, weekly, mid-year, yearly).
Oct 1, 2015 6:43 PM

Sep 2013
WhiteFlamee said:

A series that barely misses the top 30 is bad now? please.
The cutoff is just too high, 2013's cutoff was 1.5 million or so and 2014 was 1.9 million, which is good for the industry as a whole, too bad about toriko thou :'(
Oct 1, 2015 6:53 PM
May 2015
ichii_1 said:
WhiteFlamee said:

A series that barely misses the top 30 is bad now? please.
The cutoff is just too high, 2013's cutoff was 1.5 million or so and 2014 was 1.9 million, which is good for the industry as a whole, too bad about toriko thou :'(

lol, Toriko
Oct 1, 2015 6:55 PM

Jul 2011
I have a feeling One Piece is not gonna take the first place this year
Oct 1, 2015 7:00 PM
May 2015
Extreme3708 said:

Wow! Really?
Oct 1, 2015 7:06 PM
Sep 2014
Extreme3708 said:

Based off what? They're in first place by a country mile, and that country mile will turn into a country zip code after next week.
Oct 1, 2015 7:15 PM

Apr 2015
RedHair-Shanks said:

By your logic, One Piece is going bad as compared to previous years. Because the sales in the 2014 clearly don't match up to it's previous years. It's been declining ever since 2011 at a very fast rate.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 1, 2015 7:28 PM
Sep 2014
Ejc said:
RedHair-Shanks said:

1st and 2nd weeks are the best way to compare volume to volume sales because you could have the most recent volume selling for 2 weeks before the yearly list, and then you could have the previous volume selling for many weeks. Then when you compare the 2 volumes, you'd go, "OMG the sales are much lower than the previous volume!"... but the most recent volume was only on sale for 2 weeks.

Usually the 2nd week sales negates most of the advantage or disadvantage the current volume has over previous volumes due to being on sale for more days or less days in the 1st week. This is provided the variables are similar, because a new anime adaptation would most likely provide a boost to newer volumes, thereby meaning 1st week sales of newer volumes would be higher than previous volumes.

With the yearly sales, you need to be careful as well if you are comparing yearly sales to past yearly sales, because it depends on how many volumes have been on sale for the year. One example is ONE PIECE, as its 2015 yearly sales will definitely be higher than the 11.8M it had in 2014. Simple reason is that it has 4 new volumes for 2015, compared to the 3 new volumes for 2014. As mentioned before, other factors such as a new anime adaptation would obviously mean that sales are higher than they would've been for the year.

I wasn't talking about the overall sales. Overall sales don't matter. What i mean about saying wait until the end of the year to see if the series declined or not is per volume sales. surprisingly enough, one piece volumes are selling better than last year so even if we have 3 volumes out this year it would be higher than last year's overall sales.
RedHair-ShanksOct 1, 2015 7:34 PM
Oct 1, 2015 7:29 PM
Sep 2014
CG-Silver said:
RedHair-Shanks said:

By your logic, One Piece is going bad as compared to previous years. Because the sales in the 2014 clearly don't match up to it's previous years. It's been declining ever since 2011 at a very fast rate.

I was talking about per volume sales. sorry for not making myself clear here.
RedHair-ShanksOct 1, 2015 7:35 PM
Oct 1, 2015 9:32 PM

Aug 2008
Does Tokyo Ghoul:RE already has enough material for season 3?
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Oct 1, 2015 9:40 PM

Jun 2014
Zapredon said:

If it's only going to be one cour, then four volumes should be enough (even 3 I think) depending on whether or not there's a good stopping point.

But Root A was anime original so I don't think Pierrot is planning to do a third season anytime soon (if at all).
Oct 1, 2015 9:50 PM

Sep 2013
Agafin said:
Zapredon said:

If it's only going to be one cour, then four volumes should be enough (even 3 I think) depending on whether or not there's a good stopping point.

But Root A was anime original so I don't think Pierrot is planning to do a third season anytime soon (if at all).

It's not Pierrot's fault, blame the publishers who told them to do it like that.
Root A doesn't interfere with RE at all, it'll probably be announced in 2016.
Oct 1, 2015 9:54 PM

Jun 2014
ichii_1 said:
Agafin said:

It's not Pierrot's fault, blame the publishers who told them to do it like that.
Root A doesn't interfere with RE at all, it'll probably be announced in 2016.

I did not blame Pierrot.
If they announce it in 2016 then chances for it being rushed would be high.
Oct 2, 2015 2:21 AM

Nov 2007
RedHair-Shanks said:
Ejc said:

I wasn't talking about the overall sales. Overall sales don't matter. What i mean about saying wait until the end of the year to see if the series declined or not is per volume sales. surprisingly enough, one piece volumes are selling better than last year so even if we have 3 volumes out this year it would be higher than last year's overall sales.

I covered yearly volume sales in my post as well there. As I said, your thinking is flawed, because in some cases you will be comparing 3 weeks of sales vs 16 weeks of sales. Let me give a simple example below.

2013 Yearly Volume Sales
Rank / Yearly sales / Year and Month of Release / Manga Title
*3 2,890,263 13/08 ONE PIECE 71
*4 2,354,005 13/11 ONE PIECE 72

Weekly rank / Last week rank / Weekly sales / Cumulative sales / Weeks Charted / Days since release if a new release / Manga Title
** 37 *,*12,026 2,890,263 *16 - ONE PIECE 71
*2 *1 *,175,147 2,354,005 **3 - ONE PIECE 72

Vol.72 is ~535K lower than Vol.71 in the 2013 yearly volume sales. If you were looking at the 2013 Yearly Volume Sales just after it was released (so you would not know the total sales of ONE PIECE Vol.72 after 16 weeks of release), how can you know if the sales of ONE PIECE have declined or not just by looking at the yearly volume sales for Vol.71 and Vol.72?

It is only appropriate to compare using the yearly volume sales if both volumes due for comparison has been out for a very long time. 3 weeks vs 16 weeks just does not cut it for a meaningful comparison. I hope you understand why first week and second week sales are just as important.
EjcOct 2, 2015 2:28 AM
The News Club: Quality News/Discussion (anime, CDs, manga, novels, games, seiyuu), & sales data (daily, weekly, mid-year, yearly).
Oct 2, 2015 2:24 AM

Jul 2012
yaaaas 3gatsu in the lead!! proud of nijiro days as well as akatsuki no yona
Oct 2, 2015 4:54 AM

Feb 2015
ichii_1 said:
Maybe someone will finally translate this sht :'(
Such an underrated manga.
29. *30,599 *,*30,599 Shinmai Maou no Testament Vol.6

Volume 1 is coming out Jan.16 thanks to Seven Seas.
Buy and show support, I know I am..maybe two copies for me
Oct 2, 2015 8:02 AM
Feb 2012
Animate Extra Game already and gimme some of that Generation of Miracles goodness! >:|
The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one. - Albert Einstein
Oct 2, 2015 11:45 AM

Aug 2010
Awesome to see Yona getting 150k. The latest volumes were insane so they deserve at least that much increase.

TG being awesome as usual :D
Oct 2, 2015 12:43 PM

Jul 2014
moodie said:
UQ Holder! needs an anime cmon shaft get on it

Shaft is certainly an odd choice. I was thinking more along the lines of Bones or IG, for crisp, clean animation.
"Hi!"
Oct 3, 2015 8:27 AM

Apr 2014
YEEART said:
moodie said:
UQ Holder! needs an anime cmon shaft get on it

Shaft is certainly an odd choice. I was thinking more along the lines of Bones or IG, for crisp, clean animation.
well they did negima so i was thinking why not tackle the sequel
Oct 3, 2015 1:34 PM

Jan 2015
So honesty how is Toriko doing?
Oct 3, 2015 1:45 PM

Jun 2015
chrisbj said:

Id say its doing ok, its a little bit like bleach it does decline but very slowly, so its almost doing as good as the year before.
Oct 3, 2015 4:12 PM

Sep 2013
chrisbj said:

Better than pre anime sales.
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1369397&show=0#post1
Oct 3, 2015 4:37 PM
Sep 2014
chrisbj said:

Good enough to stay serialized, but not good enough to take a good chunk out of the market and become a major player.

Unfortunately, the anime didn't do a good job at all at really enforcing the brand. Sure, it brought attention to it, but like World Trigger's and Kingdom's animes, it might've done more harm than good in the long run, possibly dissuading the watchers from wanting to really get into the series by buying the source material, ie the manga.

At the same time, it might not just be what the Japanese like. However, it's trekking along. Volumes are selling decently at least, but there doesn't seem to be much growth, we don't see too much backlog sales going on, so it seems most of the buyers of the volumes are current followers of the series. I hope it gets a reboot at some point that can actually create new fans, but I'm not counting on it.

For now, the series is going quite strong imo, and the sales are holding steady.
Oct 3, 2015 5:12 PM
Apr 2015
chrisbj said:

It might make top 30 or even 20.
Oct 3, 2015 5:42 PM

Jun 2015
SaberCapital said:
chrisbj said:

No it wont. Have you seen the list so far, its 38th.
AdmiralKizaru98Oct 3, 2015 5:45 PM
Oct 3, 2015 6:18 PM
Apr 2015
AdmiralKizaru98 said:
SaberCapital said:

It's like 35th or something not 38th. The series in between Toriko and the 30th spot don't have any new volumes coming out. Only BnH does.

yeah i just checked. THere is only a 250k difference between Toriko and the manga series at the number 30 spot. The Toriko vol. coming in november can beat that
SaberCapitalOct 3, 2015 6:27 PM
Oct 3, 2015 6:39 PM

Jun 2015
SaberCapital said:
AdmiralKizaru98 said:

It's like 35th or something not 38th. The series in between Toriko and the 30th spot don't have any new volumes coming out. Only BnH does.

yeah i just checked. THere is only a 250k difference between Toriko and the manga series at the number 30 spot. The Toriko vol. coming in november can beat that

You know that most of the series have more potential sales than Toriko aswell and i was also saying that because you said that it could be possibly in the top 20 which is impossible.
Oct 3, 2015 6:43 PM
Apr 2015
AdmiralKizaru98 said:
SaberCapital said:

You know that most of the series have more potential sales than Toriko aswell and i was also saying that because you said that it could be possibly in the top 20 which is impossible.

my bad lol. I recently got caught up with Toriko and I keep forget anime is gone.

I mean top 30.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10K_N1R6l8reAqL4mioBECSNIJ6iqDo2FcouN79dg0Vc/edit?pli=1#gid=1549866658

the series above toriko but not top 30 dont have new volumes coming out soon and there anime ended (not counting bnh)
Oct 3, 2015 6:47 PM

Jun 2015
SaberCapital said:
AdmiralKizaru98 said:

my bad lol. I recently got caught up with Toriko and I keep forget anime is gone.

I mean top 30.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10K_N1R6l8reAqL4mioBECSNIJ6iqDo2FcouN79dg0Vc/edit?pli=1#gid=1549866658

the series above toriko but not top 30 dont have new volumes coming out soon and there anime ended (not counting bnh)

I hope it can get in the top 30 too, but now that also the backlog sales have almost completely stopped i highly doubt it.
Oct 3, 2015 6:54 PM
Apr 2015
AdmiralKizaru98 said:
SaberCapital said:

I mean top 30.

I hope it can get in the top 30 too, but now that also the backlog sales have almost completely stopped i highly doubt it.

what do u mean backlog/

it only needs 250k that is easy even for toriko. 2nd week of nov gets like close to 250k sales and include the sales of volume 36 that doesnt get ranking
Oct 3, 2015 9:24 PM
May 2015
SaberCapital said:
AdmiralKizaru98 said:

what do u mean backlog/

it only needs 250k that is easy even for toriko. 2nd week of nov gets like close to 250k sales and include the sales of volume 36 that doesnt get ranking

Next Toriko volume comes out in December, The Manga year ends on the 15th of november
Oct 4, 2015 3:32 AM

Jun 2015
UchihaProdigy1 said:
SaberCapital said:

what do u mean backlog/

Next Toriko volume comes out in December, The Manga year ends on the 15th of november

Yep Toriko wont get top 30 definitely.
Oct 4, 2015 4:42 AM
Apr 2015
UchihaProdigy1 said:
SaberCapital said:

what do u mean backlog/

no. it has enough chapters for a volume right now. November is the month of new volume.
Oct 4, 2015 5:38 AM
Sep 2014
SaberCapital said:
UchihaProdigy1 said:

no. it has enough chapters for a volume right now. November is the month of new volume.

Just because a series has enough chapters for a new volume doesn't mean a volume will get released. However, you may be right that it gets a volume in early to mid November, looking at its release schedule for the last little while, however, it may only get a week or two on the rankings list, if that.
Oct 4, 2015 5:54 AM

Nov 2014
^Yup...not impossible, but chances of it making into the top 30 are 50/50 I'd say...and even then it'd probably be around 25-30
Oct 4, 2015 6:40 AM

Jun 2014
ichii_1 said:
chrisbj said:

It'll soon be back there sadly.
Oct 4, 2015 7:39 AM
May 2015
Agafin said:
ichii_1 said:

I see Ichii1 is still giving giving misinformation that Toriko sells/sold better than Fairy Tail and Reborn when it has never sold as well as either of them.
Oct 4, 2015 7:50 AM

Jun 2015
UchihaProdigy1 said:
Agafin said:

I see Ichii1 is still giving giving misinformation that Toriko sells/sold better than Fairy Tail and Reborn when it has never sold as well as either of them.

UchihaProdigy1 said:
Agafin said:

I would say that Toriko sold almost equal to KHR but not Fairy Tail, FT has sold more than Toriko every year, even in Torikos high years 2011 and 2012 Fairy Tail sold more.
Oct 4, 2015 7:59 AM

Nov 2012
i blame everything on toei for making toriko a kingdom like anime

every toriko maga readers know that toriko has countles moments that can be the hype moment of the year like adult gon transformation.

and the thing is it seems that toriko is being rushed atm but idk that for certain
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» 'Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence' Anime Movie Cancels Production ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

69 by Jin_uzuki »»
37 minutes ago

» TAAF 2024 Anime of the Year Winners Announced

Snow - 9 hours ago

3 by Maumuu »»
2 hours ago

» Manga 'Dungeon Meshi' Gets TV Anime ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Aug 9, 2022

53 by Dark_Reunion007 »»
6 hours ago

» 'Wind Breaker' Announces Additional Cast

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

4 by Memore »»
Yesterday, 11:26 PM

» Manga 'Ane Naru Mono' Gets OVA Adaptation

Vindstot - Jan 5, 2020

28 by lucio54 »»
Yesterday, 10:11 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.