Forums
New
Sep 30, 2015 4:24 PM

Oct 2014
What do you think
mochakawaiibearSep 30, 2015 4:38 PM
Sep 30, 2015 4:26 PM

Mar 2015
That's your own opinion Lol.. Obviously there are going to be people who like anime more than others.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 30, 2015 4:27 PM

Jul 2015
Karma_ said:
That's your own opinion Lol.. Obviously there are going to be people who like anime more than others.

True. True.

Sep 30, 2015 4:30 PM

Jul 2015
I guess that depends on how impactful/enjoyable symbolism is to someone. FLCL has a LOT of symbolism, but if that's not something very meaningful to you, then yeah I'm not surprised stuff like FLCL isn't to your liking.

To be honest I'm more or less on the same page as you; it's a pretty cool anime and I appreciate the symbolism, but otherwise it's not very impressive. I wouldn't say it's overrated though, that's for sure.
Sep 30, 2015 4:30 PM

Jul 2013
FLCL is pretty obvious as long as you actually pay attention to the show.

And you can't look too far into anime although you're going a bit too far if you start explaining or look into stuff that was not much explored or hinted at in the anime.
Sep 30, 2015 4:34 PM

Dec 2012
It's really up to what a person wants out of anime. I like to critically reflect on themes, but I won't go so far as to examine the creator's intentions or purposely seek out symbolism and the like. It's also fine if people decide they don't want to look for anything beyond mindless fun, but that doesn't mean there aren't meaningful thoughts and concepts to be had. It does irk me when anime fans downplay the entirety of the medium as mindless and base in order to boost their western literature reading egos.
Sep 30, 2015 4:35 PM

Aug 2013
It's everyone's own opinions.
Sep 30, 2015 4:37 PM

Oct 2014
galimx said:
No. Thats just your opinion or interpretation. One of the charms of some anime is that anyone can create their own opinion and interpretation or find some interesting stuff or symbolism. And so the fans for years and years after the series are debating and arguing about it. That is nice and all that matters.

Never thought about it like that.

I'll edit op
Sep 30, 2015 4:53 PM

Mar 2015
'Looking into'/interpreting anime is probably one of the best things about it to some people like myself who want more than just entertainment but also a meaning. It depends what you want to get out of it.
The more time you spend on MAL, the less time you're actually watching anime.
Sep 30, 2015 5:00 PM

Sep 2015
Depends. Some people want to escape reality, so they look very deep into anime. Some for entertainment. Some because they were blackmailed by their friends and forced to watch.
really depends
You get what you deserve? Nope. Who decides what you deserve? Does that person even get to deserve deserving what others deserve? And who decided that that person deserves do that? Exactly. Complete bullshit. Only one thing I know that everyone deserves. And that is the right to watch good anime and drop the shitty ones. Have a nice day(you probably don't deserve that :P)
Sep 30, 2015 5:09 PM

Aug 2015
Yes. The "anime community" is full of eisegesists (people who read into something what they want to believe--this can be done with anything, like finding a face in your food or in the clouds). Any-thing that is vaguely different from similar anime is a "deconstruction" (improper use of the word).
Sep 30, 2015 5:10 PM

Mar 2015
Anonymeuss said:
Depends. Some people want to escape reality, so they look very deep into anime. Some for entertainment. Some because they were blackmailed by their friends and forced to watch.
really depends

True, but those are different situations than what the original question was.
But you do have a point if you're trying to say looking into anime too hard leads to not enjoying it as much/ you want more out of it. Its happened.
The more time you spend on MAL, the less time you're actually watching anime.
Sep 30, 2015 5:15 PM

Oct 2013
A lot of People look way too deep into evangellion. But I'll give the series some props for being open enough for folks to give their own perspective about the series.
Sep 30, 2015 5:20 PM

Aug 2015
Like others have said, its all what you make of it. Some shows leave me to ponder about the world's mysteries and the meaning of life, while others apear just how they are. And I enjoy the show either way.
Answering the actual question word for word, I do believe people can take interpretation a little too far, I can be guilty of that.
I can see that sometimes with different shows, the artists and directors would want to express and focus on issues and ideas (government, beliefs, society, interactions, etc), But at the end of the day, its only a show. If it leaves you thinking, its all good. If it doesn't, it should have been fun show to watch
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 30, 2015 5:37 PM

Apr 2014
I tried looking deep into Mawaru Penguindrum and didn't see shit.
Sep 30, 2015 5:49 PM

Aug 2015
Nope. In fact, I think the real problem is people not looking into it enough and looking like total idiots when they try to discuss it.
There is nothing that cannot be stolen by Mouse.
Sep 30, 2015 5:52 PM

Mar 2015
keragamming said:
A lot of People look way too deep into evangellion. But I'll give the series some props for being open enough for folks to give their own perspective about the series.

It's easy to make a series open. Just take out some of the exposition. And if you are running low on creativity, you can always not explain something and just say "well it's open to interpretation".
Sep 30, 2015 5:54 PM
Jan 2014
Phantom450 said:
Nope. In fact, I think the real problem is people not looking into it enough and looking like total idiots when they try to discuss it.
this. but at the same time I feel like I tend to look way to much into an anime series and end up missing the whole thing altogether lol.
Sep 30, 2015 5:58 PM

Apr 2012
Yup,they always say stuff like "ah this anime is better" or "it could have been better if story went the other way" or something like that instead of watching anime and enjoying it for what it is,but whatever its their life!
Sep 30, 2015 6:07 PM

Aug 2015
Warphate said:
Yup,they always say stuff like "ah this anime is better" or "it could have been better if story went the other way" or something like that instead of watching anime and enjoying it for what it is,but whatever its their life!
Exactly. I once tried to say that people try to point out as many flaws as possible to attempt to look as smart and well-versed as possible, but I was insulted and shot down, probably by people who try to point out as many flaws as possible to attempt to look as smart and well-versed as possible.
There is nothing that cannot be stolen by Mouse.
Sep 30, 2015 6:09 PM

Jul 2015
FloatingIdiot said:
keragamming said:

It's easy to make a series open. Just take out some of the exposition. And if you are running low on creativity, you can always not explain something and just say "well it's open to interpretation".

If that was the case, every poorly written animu would be on NGE's pedestal. I see nobody up there except a giant Rei Ayanami statue.

Yes, it requires a bit of luck to achieve NGE/Utena/insert-random-intelligent-anime-here, but that's NOT the main ingredient. People have a problem with NGE especially because NGE makes no compromises. If you're here for the giant robots, sorry but Eva-01 has 0 action in episode 25/26 or EoE. If you're here for the harem, sorry but Anno hates you and makes it clear in EoE.
If you want an intelligent anime that you can watch with your brain turned off/without Anno telling you that you're a PoS every 5 minutes, watch Kill la Kill. You'll miss at least 50% of the show but at least you'll enjoy it and won't feel judged.
Sep 30, 2015 6:34 PM

Mar 2015
Clebardman said:
FloatingIdiot said:

If that was the case, every poorly written animu would be on NGE's pedestal. I see nobody up there except a giant Rei Ayanami statue.

Yes, it requires a bit of luck to achieve NGE/Utena/insert-random-intelligent-anime-here, but that's NOT the main ingredient. People have a problem with NGE especially because NGE makes no compromises. If you're here for the giant robots, sorry but Eva-01 has 0 action in episode 25/26 or EoE. If you're here for the harem, sorry but Anno hates you and makes it clear in EoE.
If you want an intelligent anime that you can watch with your brain turned off/without Anno telling you that you're a PoS every 5 minutes, watch Kill la Kill. You'll miss at least 50% of the show but at least you'll enjoy it and won't feel judged.

You're working from the premise that everything on a pedestal is there because it's good, and also generalizing why people have problems with NGE.
Sep 30, 2015 7:20 PM

Nov 2012
At least from current airing anime and currently printing manga, a number of fans simply like to look really deep into the latest chapter/episode because that is fun/entertaining to them. Just look at the one piece theorists on youtube or evangelion theories and debates, a lot of people just do it for fun , especially to speculate on future outcomes and bragg about it if they are right lol.

I'm the type of person though, that usually doesn't look to deep or spend to much time analyzing anime I watch. I mostly watch anime so I can get away from the hardcore thinking environment that is grad school and work for me haha. I don't put that much energy into analysis usually, I try to put some analysis in, if I'm writing a review for an anime though , but not to anywhere near extreme levels of speculation though.
Sep 30, 2015 7:23 PM

Jan 2008
Always. Discussion on the series is always either looking too far in or just not looking at all.
Oct 1, 2015 12:33 PM

May 2015
My eyesight is terrible so I can't look too far.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Oct 1, 2015 2:27 PM

Sep 2014
Deeply you mean?

People look for depth in every piece of media when there clearly isn't any. I think people just have their favourites and come up with bullshit to justify it or convince others that it's great
Oct 1, 2015 4:39 PM

Jan 2014
Some people find joy in interpreting things or forming their own opinions on symbols. That's not something I enjoy, so I can't really speak in that regard or describe the allure of it.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Oct 1, 2015 4:41 PM

Jan 2015
TheBrainintheJar said:
My eyesight is terrible so I can't look too far.
Twitter and it's consequences had been a disaster for the human race
Oct 1, 2015 4:48 PM

Feb 2013
Only when people get angry about it.
Oct 1, 2015 5:39 PM

May 2015
mochabearkawaii said:
What do you think

In the case of "Pokemon has satanism", yes. In the case of "X and X has themes and symbolization", no. In the case of "taking it too seriously" in general, to an extent. It varies time to time and thread to thread. Sometimes answer is no, sometimes answer is yes.
ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ

More topics from this board

Poll: » How tall is you favorite character? ( 1 2 )

Shizuna - Apr 13

56 by Ricchan__ »»
2 minutes ago

» thoughts on Chinese anime? ( 1 2 3 4 )

ryo-san - Mar 6, 2022

185 by Dracowyn »»
2 minutes ago

» angry sub only users

Yorda_trico - 9 hours ago

48 by Dracowyn »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » Which season of Vinland Saga do you guys prefer?

MillerEvans23 - 2 hours ago

12 by TRC_Randy »»
10 minutes ago

» What percentage of anime that you've seen did you pirate? ( 1 2 3 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 13

124 by H_Erifu »»
17 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.