Forum Settings
Forums

Bankruptcy of Animation Studio Manglobe Rumored [Update 10/1]

New
Sep 30, 2015 8:36 AM

Jul 2009
Rumors are circulating pointing to the bankruptcy of animation studio Manglobe. They originated from a series of tweets by animation director Snipes (also known as Toshio Kobayashi), some of which have since been deleted.

The tweets by Snipes mentioned the studio's bankruptcy, resulting in his sudden unemployment and unpaid salary. He had been working on Manglobe's upcoming film Gyakusatsu Kikan, an adaptation of the novel by Keikaku Itou. That film is scheduled for release on November 13, 2015.

Scriptwriter Shigeru Morita and animation director Hideto Komori also wrote tweets expressing concern. While neither mentioned Manglobe specifically, Komori has worked at the studio for more than 10 years as an animator and indicated that a certain website has gone inactive. Manglobe's official website currently returns a 403 Forbidden error.

Manglobe was founded in 2002 by former Sunrise producers Shinichirou Kobayashi and Takashi Kouchiyama. In its early years, the studio became known for its original works, such as Samurai Champloo (2004), Ergo Proxy (2006), and Michiko to Hatchin (2008).

With the onset of the global financial crisis in 2008, Manglobe ceased production of original anime. In 2009, it followed the rising trend of light novel adaptations and produced Seiken no Blacksmith. It continued animating adaptations and did not produce another original anime until Samurai Flamenco in 2013.

Further tweets by Hiyori Akishino, who worked as a prop designer for Manglobe's adaptation of Hayate no Gotoku! Can't Take My Eyes Off You (2012) and Hayate no Gotoku! Cuties (2013), raised concerns about the studio's work. Akishino claims that her team was treated poorly during the production of both series and was not compensated with the proceeds from the English localization.

After a quiet 2014, the studio published job openings for the positions of production desk and production assistant in March 2015. Manglobe's most recent TV anime work, Gangsta., ended broadcast last week.

Source: Kai-You, Hachima Kikou, Yaraon

Update October 1
Anime! Anime! Biz has confirmed that Manglobe entered bankruptcy proceedings on September 29. The report indicates that the studio had been insolvent for some time, and it had considered options such as debt consolidation before deciding to file for bankruptcy in court.

Animation work had been continuing up until the studio filed for bankruptcy, including production on Gyakusatsu Kikan. No specific plans were announced, but reassigning work on the film to another company will likely result in an adjustment of schedules.

The report also predicts that Manglobe's bankruptcy will likely cause a stir in the anime industry. Although the number of works produced domestically continues to increase, it has become more difficult to find a primary contractor for animation production. Production staff and animators are becoming limited, and production schedules often collapse. There have been instances where actual production costs exceeded the original budget.

Teikoku Databank reports that Manglobe's revenue for calendar year 2013 was 1,017 million yen. However, that figure fell by more than one-half to 460 million yen in 2014 as a result of competition within the industry. Cash flow has remained tight this year, and business was not predicted to improve. The studio is estimated to have a debt of 350 million yen.

Source: Anime! Anime! Biz, Teikoku Databank
mta_pnFeb 17, 2022 6:30 PM
On Moderating: Building a more complete anime database.
Spica: Anime, manga, idols.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Sep 30, 2015 8:37 AM

Jul 2009
Here's a more detailed perspective on the history of Manglobe.
https://myswordisunbelievablydull.wordpress.com/2014/02/11/useless-anime-knowledge-intro-to-manglobe-studio/
Sep 30, 2015 8:40 AM
Mar 2015
R.I.P.
Sep 30, 2015 8:40 AM

Nov 2009
RIP, thanks for making Samurai Champloo
Sep 30, 2015 8:42 AM

Apr 2015
Is that why Gansta's quality seemed to have dropped in the later episodes?

(Or so I've heard).
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 30, 2015 8:43 AM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Well, time to give Gangsta. to another studio.
Or just let it die with that shitty cliffhanger. ;-;
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Sep 30, 2015 8:43 AM

Nov 2008
You can't make money on mostly dark and edgy anime anymore although they at least tried to adapt later on to no avail. It was just too late, they should've done that before the financial crisis.

Sep 30, 2015 8:46 AM

Sep 2011
Damn that sucks

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Sep 2013
Michiko to Hatchin murdered Manglobe.
If it didn't bomb like Hiroshima then maybe they would still be around.

A shame since Genocidal organ actually looks good :'(
http://myanimelist.net/anime/23279/Gyakusatsu_Kikan

R.I.P

Nov 2014
Hmmm... If you can't handle the tasks then ask for assistance? Gangsta and Michiko to Hatchin were good. I hope they're not really in a pinch here. The lesser the studios who cater anime the less we get to watch.

Sep 2013
Allright..next is Gonzo or Studio Deen..(lol)
Sep 30, 2015 8:47 AM

Jun 2008
Sad to hear it.
Sep 30, 2015 8:49 AM
Lewd Depresso

Jul 2008
how they even have money issues.. they been part of so many great anime..
Sep 30, 2015 8:50 AM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
vaikepois said:

Great anime doesn't mean that it sells well. :/
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Sep 30, 2015 8:50 AM

Sep 2013
just read about it

sad to hear it, hopefully no more of these news
Sep 30, 2015 8:51 AM

Jan 2014
vaikepois said:
might be that your personal opinion doesnt match with Japan's general opinion...
Sep 30, 2015 8:54 AM

Feb 2009
So sad news, I really liked some of their works.
Sep 30, 2015 8:56 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
sayonara
Sep 30, 2015 8:59 AM

Apr 2009
The earlier Manglobe works were pretty good, especially Michiko to Hatchin which is one of the most criminally underrated shows of the past decade. It's like a good South American novel turned anime, an amazing concept that gave me the same feel as bebop at times.

Sadly, it seems nowadays you need to prostitute yourself to gain favour with the LN gods to have success like A-1, 8bit, etc.. Madhouse's development in the past few years, the de facto death of Gainax, etc.
It's certainly a new era for new studios now, but sadly this isn't exactly good news.

Gangsta is mediocre in every aspect, but I hope it sells so Manglobe can continue to exist and maybe bless us with another Michiko to hatchin tier show.
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Sep 30, 2015 9:00 AM

Feb 2009
And what about Gangsta? Is there any possibility for another studio to pick it up? I´m afraid viewers like me will stay with that cliffhanger forever in our minds if we don´t continue in the manga.
Sep 30, 2015 9:01 AM

Aug 2008
ichii_1 said:

R.I.P

True,Michiko to Hatchin didn't find an audience even in the Western countries like Ergo Proxy and Samurai Champloo did (even though they didn't sell well in Japan). Which is a shame because I enjoyed Michiko to Hatchin a lot, more even than Samurai Champloo and Ergo Proxy. Except the damn final. The final was awful
絶対大丈夫だよ

Sep 30, 2015 9:02 AM

Jul 2008
Who gives a shit if they stopped producing original anime for the most part anyway. Oh no, any other studio will have to pick up the slack and produce a few extra atrocious light novel adaptions.

Sep 30, 2015 9:05 AM

Apr 2009
Lain_ said:
ichii_1 said:

R.I.P

True,Michiko to Hatchin didn't find an audience even in the Western countries like Ergo Proxy and Samurai Champloo did (even though they didn't sell well in Japan). Which is a shame because I enjoyed Michiko to Hatchin a lot, more even than Samurai Champloo and Ergo Proxy. Except the damn final. The final was awful

The final was the logical, realistic conclusion to a show whose primary leitmotif was always dealing with past and present mistakes. But I agree, MtH was sadly both the best and worst thing to happen to Manglobe.
Never again have they been so good in terms of artistic approach and never again have they bombed so hard, sending them down on their doomed path.

Nickienator said:
Who gives a shit if they stopped producing original anime for the most part anyway. Oh no, any other studio will have to pick up the slack and produce a few extra atrocious light novel adaptions.

Such a beautiful age we live in, right?
NidhoeggrSep 30, 2015 9:12 AM
Sep 30, 2015 9:06 AM

Jun 2014
RIP

Samurai Champloo and Michiko to Hatchin were both great shows. I haven't seen ergo proxy yet.
:3
Sep 30, 2015 9:08 AM

Apr 2009
malki said:

Gonzo WAS bankrupt, but sadly it wasn't enough to kill them off. And Deen was good once, but now manages to break or less even with yaoi and other cheap pandering titles. A shame, but maybe the historical show they plan to release in 2016 will be good. I certainly hope it is.
Sep 30, 2015 9:11 AM

Nov 2011
I thought something fishy was going on when the domain for their site didn't go anywhere last night. Sad to see this..
Sep 30, 2015 9:12 AM
Mar 2014
a studio dying off without having made anything worthwhile is kind of depressing

Nov 2011
Probably hired to much personal while not getting enough contracts.
Or does manglobe acteally own any of the series it has animated?

Nidhoeggr said:
malki said:

Gonzo WAS bankrupt, but sadly it wasn't enough to kill them off. And Deen was good once, but now manages to break or less even with yaoi and other cheap pandering titles. A shame, but maybe the historical show they plan to release in 2016 will be good. I certainly hope it is.

Deen is a sub-contractor in most cases, they don't 'break' even, they just get enough jobs to keep paying its animators.

My Twitter : link
My Last.fm : link
Mar 2010
I saw Manglobe trending in Japan earlier and an article on otakomu...darn it, they did some really good shows. I hope they're not on really bankrupt. I hope.
Check out the News Club for daily rankings, discussion on future CD and BD releases, manga and novels. New members are welcome!
Jul 2018
Sad to hear this. The only show I like from them was "The world God only knows"
Deadman wonderland was decent and Karneval was bad :P

Tho, I'm curious for Gyakusatsu Kikan movie, will it be animated by other studio or its cancel?
Sep 30, 2015 9:13 AM

Jun 2014
Insodp said:
So sad news, I really liked some of their works.
All credit goes to Sacred.
Sep 30, 2015 9:13 AM

Apr 2009
Max said:
a studio dying off without having made anything worthwhile is kind of depressing

Their original shows are plenty worthwhile, certainly more than any LN trash uncreative loser studios like 8bit churn out every season.
Well, except Samurai Flamenco. But sadly, airing on noitaminA these days is pretty much the opposite of a guarantee for quality so we should have known better.

PS: Their TWGOK adaptions have been okay as well.
Sep 30, 2015 9:15 AM

Feb 2014
Max said:

Its made plenty of good anime mate.

Whats going to happen to their movie they are meant to release in just over a month and half, Genocidal Organ?
Sep 30, 2015 9:16 AM
May 2015
Welp, this explains a lot about Gangsta.
Sep 30, 2015 9:17 AM

Nov 2011
eXtacy67 said:
Max said:

Whats going to happen to their movie they are meant to release in just over a month and half, Genocidal Organ?

Either its already done, or it'll be moved to another studio. Stopping in the middle of production sounds like a waste of money.

My Twitter : link
My Last.fm : link
Sep 30, 2015 9:18 AM

Apr 2009
rederoin said:
eXtacy67 said:

Either its already done, or it'll be moved to another studio. Stopping in the middle of production sounds like a waste of money.

It happened before...
RIP Satoshi Kon's Dream Machine ;_;
Sep 30, 2015 9:19 AM

May 2010
Max said:

their earlier stuff was actually enjoyable. cant say the same for that samurai flamenco trainwreck.

i enjoyed gangsta but with this my hopes for a second season are dead .
Sep 30, 2015 9:22 AM

Jul 2009
Update September 30
I have updated the article with more tweets by former staff members from Yaraon.
Sep 30, 2015 9:23 AM

Sep 2015
at first i thought "well who cares" then i klicked on the manglobe link

-Kami nomi
-Deadman Wonderland
-Ergo Proxy
-Samurai Champloo
-Zettai Karen Children

noooo. pls help abe pls

Sep 30, 2015 9:24 AM

Jul 2014
Ergo Proxy.... Samurai Champloo...

Urgh, they were a decent studio. While not making the best things alive, or adapting the greatest of works, they certainly do not deserve such a harsh fate as this. Especially when studios such as Deen or Toei exist.
"Hi!"
Sep 30, 2015 9:26 AM

Apr 2009
YEEART said:

Urgh, they were a decent studio. While not making the best things alive, or adapting the greatest of works, they certainly do not deserve such a harsh fate as this. Especially when studios such as Deen or Toei exist.

>Toei
>bankrupt

They own so many huge properties, royalties alone keep them more than afloat. They are just really lazy in recent times which is a shame since they used to be a lot better. Kinda like Sunrise.
Sep 30, 2015 9:28 AM
May 2015
Nigami_Shin said:

-Kami nomi
-Deadman Wonderland
-Ergo Proxy
-Samurai Champloo
-Zettai Karen Children

noooo. pls help abe pls

you forgot to mention the good anime

.Mashiro-Iro Symphony: The Color of Lovers "best romance anime EVER"
. The World God Only Knows
.Hayate the Combat Butler
LittleCr0wxxSep 30, 2015 9:32 AM
Sep 30, 2015 9:30 AM

Apr 2009
LittleCr0wxx said:
Nigami_Shin said:

-Kami nomi
-Deadman Wonderland
-Ergo Proxy
-Samurai Champloo
-Zettai Karen Children

noooo. pls help abe pls

Like crappy harem Mashiro-iro Symphony?
Sep 30, 2015 9:33 AM

Jul 2014
Nidhoeggr said:
YEEART said:

>Toei
>bankrupt

They own so many huge properties, royalties alone keep them more than afloat. They are just really lazy in recent times which is a shame since they used to be a lot better. Kinda like Sunrise.

True, it's nothing but wishful thinking ever believing that Toei will go bankrupt. But man it's an insult to original sources considering what Toei does to their adaptations.

ZZZzzzzzz
"Hi!"
Sep 30, 2015 9:33 AM
May 2015
Nidhoeggr said:
LittleCr0wxx said:

Mashiro-Symphony Was awsome

studio key should take note on how to do a real romance series
Sep 30, 2015 9:35 AM

Sep 2015
LittleCr0wxx said:
Nigami_Shin said:

-Kami nomi
-Deadman Wonderland
-Ergo Proxy
-Samurai Champloo
-Zettai Karen Children

noooo. pls help abe pls

.Mashiro-Iro Symphony: The Color of Lovers "best romance anime EVER"
. The World God Only Knows
.Hayate the Combat Butler

kami nomi is "world god only knows"

Sep 30, 2015 9:38 AM

Jan 2013
LittleCr0wxx said:
Nidhoeggr said:

Mashiro-Symphony Was awsome

studio key should take note on how to do a real romance series

For a moment I thought you were just joking around...My oh my.
Sep 30, 2015 9:38 AM

Mar 2014
Well shit nigga
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Sep 30, 2015 9:42 AM

Oct 2013
If they have gone bankrupt that means I can have hope that another Studio will pick up Hayate no Gotoku and I can finally have Athena's Arc animated
Sep 30, 2015 9:49 AM
Jun 2015
Oh no...was hoping for 2 years for twgok season 4(for a proper ending).....

Sad to hear this....
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» 'Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence' Anime Movie Cancels Production

DatRandomDude - 6 hours ago

29 by alpha_shadow »»
19 minutes ago

» 'Wind Breaker' Announces Additional Cast

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

4 by Memore »»
4 hours ago

» Manga 'Ane Naru Mono' Gets OVA Adaptation

Vindstot - Jan 5, 2020

28 by lucio54 »»
5 hours ago

» 'Look Back' Unveils Additional Staff, Trailer

DatRandomDude - Apr 16

23 by 3inPunisher »»
9 hours ago

» 'Elf-san wa Yaserarenai.' Unveils Production Staff, First Promo

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

10 by DylanVSAnimez »»
11 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.