Forum Settings
Forums

Oda Eiichiro Discloses One Piece will be His Last Full Length Manga

New
Dec 15, 2009 5:18 AM

Feb 2008
According to Natalie, Oda Eiichiro's interview was published in AERA magazine on December 14th. In the interview, he said he decided not to create full length manga other than One Piece. He thinks One Piece should be for shonen and he wrote the story under restrictions such as:

No romance
    Avoid scenes of murder and deaths
    A happy party comes after each battle

Last month, Oda said the story reached the climax of its middle stages by the volume 55.

Sources: Natalie, Asahi.com
myanimelistllcSep 22, 2016 10:59 PM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Dec 15, 2009 5:23 AM

Jul 2007
Considering the manga won't likely end efore his death,yes

Thats not surprising.
Dec 15, 2009 5:24 AM

Apr 2009
no romance = thank God...
i dont wanna see smth like naruto here..
it ruins the show)
Dec 15, 2009 5:36 AM

May 2008
Fai said:

Thats not surprising.

Exactly my thoughts

smokes said:
i dont wanna see smth like naruto here..
it ruins the show)

Romance done well can greatly improve a story
Dec 15, 2009 5:39 AM
Mar 2009
Fai said:

Thats not surprising.

my thoughts exactly.
Dec 15, 2009 6:08 AM

Sep 2008
At least we know something it took 12 years to reach the middle of the story of the manga,we could read the last chapter in 2021 (happy)
Dec 15, 2009 6:24 AM

Jan 2008
i wouldn't mind following one piece the rest of my life..
life with no one piece is like a cheese cake with no cheese for me XD

Dec 15, 2009 6:32 AM

Apr 2007
dtshyk said:
Last month, Oda said the story reached the climax of its middle stages by the volume 55.

Holy shit, I had no idea that happened. Awesome!

Current arc is indeed TEH epic.
逃げちゃ駄目だ。
Dec 15, 2009 7:17 AM

Jul 2009
>No Romance

A MANS ROMANCE NEVER DIES! Etc. and yes, this is nice, no Luffyv2 from the same author. Anyways he's already the richest mangaka in the world anyways. He's all set.
Dec 15, 2009 7:59 AM

Oct 2007
One Piece could have done with a death here and there.
Dec 15, 2009 8:02 AM

Nov 2008
Nekkro said:
At least we know something it took 12 years to reach the middle of the story of the manga,we could read the last chapter in 2021 (happy)

lol funny but i really like one piece
Dec 15, 2009 8:03 AM

May 2007
Last? More like first and only. =P

But yeah, I expected One Piece would be Oda's life work. Given how popular One Piece is and how much revenue he's gotten from it (and will continue to get), Oda is probably set for life. I'm also a relieved that Oda mentioned volume 55 as being the "climax of the middle stages," which tells me two things:

1) That the current arc, which has gone a big longer than I expected, is due to end relatively soon.
2) That One Piece is only halfway done. With the plethora of subplots still left untouched, there's still a lot of story to be told. Will be looking forward to it.
Dec 15, 2009 8:50 AM

Jan 2008
Eh, it's kind of a shame really, that an artist only has one creative work under his name. Makes him seem like a one-trick pony. I find One Piece very repetitive and this revelation doesn't really do my impression of him any wonders. He's perfected the craft of shonen and is now on auto-pilot till death.

At least Hirohiko Araki, despite also having one franchise to his name, does something different with each 'part' of his saga.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Dec 15, 2009 9:17 AM

Jan 2009
dtshyk said:

so there's climax for final stages too?

Dec 15, 2009 11:51 AM

May 2008
yumiche said:
i wouldn't mind following one piece the rest of my life..
life with no one piece is like a cheese cake with no cheese for me XD

Exactly what I thought.
Dec 15, 2009 12:52 PM

Jun 2007
Beatnik said:
Eh, it's kind of a shame really, that an artist only has one creative work under his name. Makes him seem like a one-trick pony.

It certainly doesn't put him in a favorable light compared to Urasawa or Fukumoto, who were and still are producing multiple long-running smash hits at the same time. Still, OP is a decent shonen, a step up from the other two in the Jump triad. I'm thinking having a few personal guidelines is a good way to keep it decent.
Shameless Blog Plugging: animetics.net
Dec 15, 2009 12:55 PM

Jul 2008
Agreed - One Piece can continue forever for me. I will only stop reading and watching it when it ends.
Dec 15, 2009 1:01 PM

Jan 2008
Let's hope he has many notes written down, because there's always the risk of unexpected death causing an abrupt halt to a long-running story. You could even say its irresponsible to just keep something going endlessly because you could end up disappointing many fans. Look at what happened with Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time saga. Dude just didn't know when to stop.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Dec 15, 2009 1:06 PM

Dec 2007
Maybe this means it will actually end?
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Dec 15, 2009 1:12 PM

Jun 2007
Beatnik said:
Look at what happened with Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time saga. Dude just didn't know when to stop.

Sanderson is a better writer anyway. It's probably thanks to him we have three final books instead of five.

But that's a more valid point when it comes to comics. In America, DC/Marvel just change the artist over, since a lot of their larger franchises do that on a regular basis, but I'm not sure how fans in Japan would react to that.

I'm suspecting that at some point there may come an internal conflict between Oda, who wants to write a good ending in his lifetime, and the SJ management who are fully aware that OP is a money machine. Toriyama admitted that he wanted to conclude Dragonball at a few points but was persuaded not to by management.
Shameless Blog Plugging: animetics.net
Dec 15, 2009 1:14 PM

Jan 2008
Torisunanohokori said:
I'm suspecting that at some point there may come an internal conflict between Oda, who wants to write a good ending in his lifetime, and the SJ management who are fully aware that OP is a money machine. Toriyama admitted that he wanted to conclude Dragonball at a few points but was persuaded not to by management.

Even though its understandable they wouldnt want the manga to stop, we all know they can still milk the fuck out of the franchise till the end of time. I mean if something like Evangelion, which isnt exactly family friendly, can milk like there was no milk tomorrow, then One Piece can continue to make big bucks even with no more manga ongoing.
Dec 15, 2009 1:38 PM

Jul 2008
emm so one piece will end
ah but notice full length manga >_<
LUL if he still alive when OP ends and like he pours out all his denied works into a short manga where there can be romance, there can be deaths, and there wont have to be a party after each battle @_@
Dec 15, 2009 1:42 PM
May 2007
I believe in one of the interview last two weeks, Oda Eiichiro stated that One Piece will end in 5 years. He already has an image of the last chapter. he is currently working on the chapters to support the ending. (sad)

This year is the year of One Piece. The strong world movie came out very strong - sold out almost all tickets around Japan and become the Top of Box Office.

I wish it comes out in US (No DUB - Sub Only)
Dec 15, 2009 1:44 PM

Dec 2007
I was waiting for this declaration from Oda, I knew he would say something like that!

And it's obvious why...

He KNOWS he wouldn't be able to surpass the greatest masterpiece, not even himself!! He doesn't want to disappoint people with the next one!

My Claims:
Dec 15, 2009 2:11 PM
Dec 2008
I hate how he avoids deaths, I mean come on, doesn't that mean on the current arc where they're in the war nobody is gonna die
Dec 15, 2009 2:58 PM

Mar 2008
dtshyk said:
........and he wrote the story under restrictions such as:

No romance

i think he forgot to add "No Character-development" to the list

i didnt read one piece until recently, but if i would have been reading it since it started, i would have dropped it sooner or later, because of the lack of development. i wonder how many fans one piece already lost because they "outgrew" or got frustrated because of its slow progression...

well at least the story seems to progress, so im gonna stick with one piece for now :o)
i just wish bleach wouldnt have the same problems

in the depths of a mind insane
fantasy and reality are the same
Dec 15, 2009 2:59 PM

Jan 2008
What people don't seem to understand time and time again is that One Piece is AIMED AT KIDS.
Dec 15, 2009 3:00 PM

May 2007
Beatnik said:
Let's hope he has many notes written down, because there's always the risk of unexpected death causing an abrupt halt to a long-running story. You could even say its irresponsible to just keep something going endlessly because you could end up disappointing many fans. Look at what happened with Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time saga. Dude just didn't know when to stop.

Good thing that Oda is relatively young and started One Piece in his twenties, if I remember correctly. But yeah, god forbid something happen to him, I doubt there is another author who would be able to carry the torch, even with notes. By the way, I heard that Brandon Sanderson did a relatively good job on the final book. Man, I really need to catch up with that series. Stopped at book 9, I believe.
Dec 15, 2009 3:06 PM

Nov 2008
Nothing to be disapointed about ... And I wonder why his works are that successful ... Weird stories with strange characters .. :x
Dec 15, 2009 4:22 PM

Jul 2006
smokes said:

Exception:
Boa Hancock and Luffy.

Dec 15, 2009 5:15 PM

Jan 2009
In regards to romance

It's definitely a theme that can be interwoven via any literary work, given there be a certain level of sincerity in correlation to the manner in which said relational construct is handled. If the relationship is dignified in proper decorum and not force on it's readers, a Shounen like One Piece should be able to pull it off.

In truth, adding romance into ones work may actually be an analytical marker in regards to a writers literary deposition; as in, it takes an author of great stature to understand and introduce "good" and consistent romantic themes. One Piece has amassed the sort of fandom that would pretty much tolerate anything composed by Oda, given there be some sort of justification.
Dec 15, 2009 6:10 PM

Jan 2009
Itsygo said:
dtshyk said:
........and he wrote the story under restrictions such as:

No romance

i didnt read one piece until recently, but if i would have been reading it since it started, i would have dropped it sooner or later, because of the lack of development. i wonder how many fans one piece already lost because they "outgrew" or got frustrated because of its slow progression...

well at least the story seems to progress, so im gonna stick with one piece for now :o)
i just wish bleach wouldnt have the same problems

What's this...i don't even...sigh
Dec 15, 2009 6:29 PM

Nov 2007
Ha ha middle stages nice xD

Aww no romance no Boa and Luffy =/ but oh well One Piece will still always be awesome =]
Dec 15, 2009 6:51 PM
Feb 2009
dtshyk said:
I hope that isn't EVERY battle. Just the big bad guys like Crocodile and Arlong.
Dec 15, 2009 7:17 PM

Aug 2009
I noticed it. One Piece is legendary Manga... but shame that it will be the only and last one that he will publish..

Lol haters.
Dec 15, 2009 7:21 PM

Jul 2008
I really want Oda to do a seinen manga. Sure, One Piece is nice and all, but it doesn't really show off much of anything. Something dark would really test him to see if he's going to be a one trick pony.
Dec 15, 2009 7:23 PM

Oct 2007
Aww, his last and final one? Sad to see, but I guess that's ok.

I wish he made some other series too.
Dec 15, 2009 7:33 PM

Jul 2008
I really want to see Luffy die. Not because I hate him or anything, but because it would make the story memorable. It would add something to him being the King of Pirates. It would be so boring if it ended up with the whole "happily ever after" ending.
Dec 15, 2009 7:36 PM

Aug 2009
@Rohan: Wow, you basically disclosed all of what I thought about one piece exactly. *thumbs up.

It's only good shonen I've seen. It is so well structure from the start. Nothing actually falls apart except those scenes when villains I thought they are dead comes again.

@ArtRodriguez: Em, probably not that. It will be better to have open end, like not showing 'what is actually the one piece'. It will rage off most of people, but it's the part that oda can make one piece 'actually end'. If they make some kind of 'luppys death', there are so much things that he needs to tell again, like after stories, what happened to the other crew etc etc.

I like how One Piece keeps the most important things in complete mystery, like that 'ultimate ancient weapon' things. It gives us so much curiosity.
ringoo4Dec 15, 2009 7:40 PM
Dec 15, 2009 7:49 PM

Jul 2008
The reason why I would find that cool (although it will NEVER happen) is because it would come as a shock. Luffy spared every villains life, only to have them help him in the end to beat the megaboss, and then die.

I'm wondering how huge the megaboss will be.
Dec 15, 2009 9:16 PM

Aug 2009
wow Rohan i agree with everything u said except for the death part. I rather have it Oda's way. One Piece is for people of all ages. Romance doesn't suit it at all. I would have drop it if he had added romance. Adventures and comedy is what i love about One Piece.
I will forever follow One Piece even if he continue it for life <3
One Piece is a masterpiece among others like Detective Conan, Black Jack, and City Hunter.
Dec 15, 2009 9:51 PM
Dec 2008
A MANS ROMANCE could be anything
Dec 15, 2009 10:40 PM

Jan 2009
If that means there's going to be another 10 or so years of One Piece, then I'm extremely happy. :)
Dec 15, 2009 11:22 PM

Jan 2009
now im interested in one piece because its not about romance and just party adventure
Dec 15, 2009 11:28 PM

Aug 2009
Nekkro said:

Man, I hope he'll last that long! :(
Dec 16, 2009 12:38 AM

Apr 2009
Itsygo said:

lol this made my day)

OP has the hugest character development of all shounen i've ever seen

there are Full Arcs with character development..

7-8 episodes on a character ( for example Chopper, his arc was pure development)
there is no other show that succedes OP at ch. development..
Dec 16, 2009 5:38 AM

Aug 2008
No romance

that's exactly why i stopped watching it it's always the same xD
Dec 16, 2009 5:50 AM

Jan 2008
wtf do the pirates even do in One Piece? How is Luffy a pirate? He doesnt loot, pillage, rape and steal, he's like the worst pirate ever.

Back when the manga began we see him and this young kid become friends. Then when they separate, one is planning on being a pirate king, the other a naval police dude, so you've got this epic rivalry set up, one is hero, one is anti-hero. Imagine all the cool scenarios, the cat-and-mouse games as one tries to catch the other, the unwilling partnerships between them when more horrible pirates/police show up to threaten them both, imagine...

POTENTIAL FLUSHED DOWN THE TOILET.
Dec 16, 2009 5:53 AM

Feb 2008
Deleted several non-related post.

Make sure that the discussion revolves around the news and all will be fine.
Dec 16, 2009 6:13 AM

Apr 2009
beatnik stop offtoping ffs o__O

this thread should be closed imo.
its started in a 'bashing the anime' thread now

smokesDec 16, 2009 6:16 AM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - 4 hours ago

7 by RobertBobert »»
25 minutes ago

» Light Novel 'Saikyou no Shienshoku "Wajutsushi" de Aru Ore wa Sekai Saikyou Clan wo Shitagaeru' Gets TV Anime in Fall 2024

Vindstot - Apr 21

8 by modcarparking »»
3 hours ago

» Netflix Announces 'Garouden: The Way of the Lone Wolf' Anime for May 2024

Hyperion_PS - Apr 21

11 by modcarparking »»
3 hours ago

» 'Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou' Season 3 Unveils Additional Cast, First Promo

Hyperion_PS - Apr 21

2 by BankaiGoku »»
6 hours ago

» TAAF 2024 Anime of the Year Winners Announced

Snow - Apr 19

10 by malvarez1 »»
9 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.