Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Overlord (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Sep 29, 2015 10:30 PM
Nov 2013
Great series but the last arc wasn't very interesting. I hope they focus more on adventure next season instead of fights.
Sep 29, 2015 10:30 PM

Mar 2008
Definitely needed more actions and fights. Gave it a solid 7/10. Shalltear vs Ainz was good.
Sep 29, 2015 10:41 PM

Mar 2014
ichii_1 said:
Merkk said:

Ainz's earlier The Goal Of All Life Is Death nuke instantly killed Shalltear, that's what the anime lead me to believe. Someone explain to me how Ainz, a player, had this insanely OP skill which killed a raid-tier boss instantly.

She's not raid tier boss level, she's just the worst matchup for Ainz, touch me would beat shalltear easily.
The guilds benefits and area effects are the real threats for raiders.
Ainz has a rare class called the "eclipse class" one of the skills let's him strengthen his instant death skills.

So let me get this straight, even though Shalltear guards 3 floors of Nazarick, she is not a raid-tier boss and therefore could be 1HKO (especially more so due to Ainz's rare skill). The fight was just extra tough because she was a bad opponent for a magic caster.
However, raid boss or not, wasn't she designed to not be fought solo, but with a raid-size party (20+ ppl)? Therefore, you would think she's immune to a single nuke skill by one player, or else the game would be broken as shit. Imagine just about 5 players like Ainz spamming TGOALID once at each floor boss.

Sep 29, 2015 10:42 PM
Jan 2015
I was overall happy with the show. The CGI animations really threw off my viewing experience.
I think it was a "okay" representation of the LN. They kinda dropped some small awkward bits
of foreshadowing footage at the end. It might be giving me a false hope of a season 2.

The real question is how does Maruyama feel about the Overlord Anime?
AND
Will enough money be made for a season 2? (Perhaps of higher quality and less CGI hellspawn)
Sep 29, 2015 11:02 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
Merkk said:

So let me get this straight, even though Shalltear guards 3 floors of Nazarick, she is not a raid-tier boss and therefore could be 1HKO (especially more so due to Ainz's rare skill). The fight was just extra tough because she was a bad opponent for a magic caster.
However, raid boss or not, wasn't she designed to not be fought solo, but with a raid-size party (20+ ppl)? Therefore, you would think she's immune to a single nuke skill by one player, or else the game would be broken as shit. Imagine just about 5 players like Ainz spamming TGOALID once at each floor boss.

First of all, like someone already said, she is not raid-tier level. Also, the original game is unlike current real MMORPG as in there are truly unique items (one of a kind in the entire game) and skills. Ainz's special class and skills need some extremely hard requirements to be met in order to be effective and it's likely there are only a few players that have achieved that status.

Shalltear is immune to the instant death effect. However, Ainz's special skills is extremely rare and is able to grant instant death to everything, ignoring all immunity effects.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Sep 29, 2015 11:02 PM

Aug 2013
Unlike the previous episode it showed some explanations about the weapons and blows used, but still looked a slightly unreal struggle by be commented by the members who were outside, and then it all happened in a rush, a lot of information presented and nothing very concrete, certainly I like of the anime's plot, and already I follow the manga, the anime left me in doubt at various points, it is possible that I go also read the LN to learn more about the story ..
Sep 29, 2015 11:03 PM

Apr 2010
Sep 29, 2015 11:05 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
antonn said:
Ainz is a p2w scrub.

In fact, that is a true statement. Ainz in the original game dedicated his entire salary to the game. That's why he has the extremely premium Wish ring that can grant 3 free wishes per day....
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Sep 29, 2015 11:07 PM

Oct 2011
Shalltear's boobs... I'm gonna miss them... Wait...

9/10.
Sep 29, 2015 11:09 PM

Mar 2013
Very entertaining from start to finish.
It's a shame because I feel as if the anime didn't really go into depth about a couple of things that needed explanation.

Epic last fight between Ains Ool Gown and Shaltear to finish things off.
I'm gonna miss this because it's probably by far my favorite of the summer season.

Hopefully there's a second season ^^
8/10
Sep 29, 2015 11:19 PM
Sep 2009
NandolSFCl said:
3/10, 4/10?
lol
What is a fucking 10/10 to you?
Every single anime of this season was at least weaker than this if not just plain bad. Charlotte was crap, Classroom Crisis is in debt with me (I want my time back for that shitty anime), Rokka no Yuusha was meh. Please, tell me what is good in this season besides Overlord.
Prison School and Shimoneta were both great but they are ecchi (with a lot of fanservice).
The best anime of this season for me is Ushio to Tora but it is 26 not 12-13 episodes.
Overlord for me was just great, easily 10/10.

You have pretty low standards, you know.

Ill agree on one thing with you, summer season was shit.
Sep 29, 2015 11:23 PM

Mar 2012
Not the strongest last episode but wasn't bad either. Very good series overall and look forward to a S2 eventually. Also, gonna miss the OP and ED ;_;

antonn said:
Ainz is a p2w scrub.

So true xD
Sep 29, 2015 11:25 PM

Sep 2013
Summer 2015 has officially ended, well atleast for me.

There still a lot of mysteries in the show, sadly, Madhouse produce this and they're notorious for not making second seasons. Im still hoping though. We still have no idea what Ains look like in real life maybe he's actually sweaty and fat but from what I remember only working adults can join the guild so at least we are certain he's not jobless.

Well this anime definitely was more entertaining than I first thought. Overall very decent.
"I have been wielding a blade since before your were swimming around your father's scrotum." - Kurou
Sep 29, 2015 11:43 PM

Apr 2013
Every servant constantly ass-licking Momonga was really annoying and that fight with Clementine and the old fart felt like watching some 12 y.o. bashing each other on COD.
5/10
Sep 29, 2015 11:48 PM

Jul 2015
Good episode... Lord Ains was pretty beast in this episode, how everything he did was all according to his plan during the battle, even though one of the guardians did help Lord Ains, (because of the casting time of his magic item/spell) he did the majority. The feels when Ains uses his comrade's weapons and the vision of them at the throne room in Nazarick. Also, yay, Momonga and Narbeth reached the Adamantine class, third-tier too! (I hope that's the highest rank) Want season 2 with much longer episodes please. Beast anime, wish there were more episodes though. Also, anyone know when there will be a sequel to this or any other related affiliations planned out for the future?
Sep 29, 2015 11:51 PM

Jun 2015
Glad Shalltear is saved. 500 mil seems like a lot of money for her, but she's worth it.
Must say, im not big into the game genre for anime, but i enjoyed this alot. Loved the art, characters, and overall the VAs did a great job. Would've loved to see more Albedo tho.

Overall I give this a 8. Would've given more, but the last part with Shalltear felt dull compared to the earlier parts and felt dragged out.

Hoping to see a S2 soon!

Sep 29, 2015 11:52 PM

Jan 2011
Karura said:
the moral of the story is that pay 2 win is the way to go

homie was popping those items like a whale pay 2 win to strong

overall was very conflicted with show from start to end wanted to really like it but in the end i'm kinda just ehhhh it was alright generous 7/10, since i find the setting still interesting i wouldn't mind seeing more in the future
Aug 2014
OHH GAWD HE'S A FLIPPING CASHSHOPPINGPAY2WIN
Jul 2018
That was a good series, it could have been better if it got a bigger budget, but it was
still very good nonetheless (excluding episodes 10-12 which were okay, but definitely got shafted by the pacing and budget)

Definitely hoping for a season 2, and since it sold pretty well let's hope for a bigger budget XD
Sep 30, 2015 12:05 AM

Sep 2013
That ending, I think is hint for the second season. It has so much mystery to be unfold
Sep 30, 2015 12:05 AM

Feb 2014
It was an okay series. The best moment of the show was definitely the crushing bear hug, just brutal. A lot of things to like but equally a number of things it did poorly.

6.5 out of 10

Theres definitely potential inthe source material and I would watch a second series because I believe it will likely be handled better, though its Madhouse so probably wont get a second season.
eXtacy67Sep 30, 2015 12:08 AM
Sep 30, 2015 12:11 AM

Sep 2014
Fiji said:
Well, just shows that most MMORPG is always pay to win. LOL.
There are good and bad parts, but definitely enjoyed Overlord. I would welcome a second season.
Sep 30, 2015 12:27 AM

Mar 2008
It's too bad we spent all season edging around the more interesting factional, world-building, power-struggles, and strength-tier elements. Dabbling in a mockery of traditional fantasy-questing is all well and good, but to me, it feels like Madhouse largely failed to capitalise on any feelings of adventure, danger, or mystery that would've made the show more compelling.

Albedo's awkward lusting aside, there was a lot of promising wish-fulfilment to be had here, and it's a shame that it's ended right as the gears seemed to start turning.

A second season would be good fun, but it feels like there was a lack of heart put into this one. The crazy-faces should be relatively memorable though.
Sep 30, 2015 12:52 AM

Jul 2015
Loved the show, loved the OP and ED, and it looks like they just really took their time (with their thoughts that it can go for more than one season).

13 episodes aren't enough to introduce the others (from Pleiades to the other floor guardians) but I'm guessing there's S2 (hopefully) for that.

So far, I haven't seen Cocytus, Demiurge and Sebas, not to mention Ainz' creation as well, Pandora's Actor in action.

Ainz is just really OP with the play to win card. Not only that, he is very knowledgeable about it too, which makes things clearly one-sided. (It really is dangerous for online gamers to encounter p2w freaks who also know how to use them, makes you want to quit 'based on experience' lol)

Sep 30, 2015 1:30 AM

Mar 2009
What happened at the end? What was Ainz talking about? Were they setting things up for another season? It was a little confusing.

As far as "stuck in the game" type anime are concerned, I still think this is one of the better ones. Honestly speaking, I was more invested in the first couple of episodes rather than the later ones, but still a good show overall. Albedo best girl, of course.
Sep 30, 2015 1:34 AM
Nov 2012
Mormegil said:
What happened at the end? What was Ainz talking about? Were they setting things up for another season? It was a little confusing.
Just preparing for war with the Lizardmen no biggie.
Sep 30, 2015 1:55 AM

Jan 2014
Apparently this show was a weak adaptation to it's source material but since I haven't read any of the novel/manga I can only judge from what I've seen in the anime.

The weakest episodes of this anime were probably the first two and after that I have enjoyed every single episode including the final which gave me a conclusion I was pretty satisfied with.

Definitely enjoyed this anime a LOT, one can only hope for a 2nd season. 8/10
Sep 30, 2015 2:17 AM

Feb 2015
This show has pretty much everything I like including a fantasy setting and of course Albedo. I can understand why people would rate it 7-8 but 4-5 is ridiculous. God and watch God Eater or some other lame show instead.

Anyway its a 10 for me as it's my favourite show of the summer. Bring on season 2!
Sep 30, 2015 2:34 AM

Jun 2008
This show was especially good in the first arc with Clementine and Carne village etc. The whole Shaltear thing felt a little rushed and unfortunately that seems like a decision of not making a second season. Generally this show needed a lot more than 13 episodes anyway.
As about people complaining that everything wasn't fast enough. I consider them stupid. The show has to put some dialogue that gives meaning to their actions or else everything seems silly and pointless. If the guy just start changing op weapons with no explanation then it just seems like a completely ridiculous asspull etc. Hell they hardly gave a decent explanation actually why the guy has those weapons.
If this people ever tried to read a classic novel i bet their brain will explode.

weewah said:
Merkk said:
Btw, what kind of Supreme Being are you when you have to use around 10 cash items, 20 buffs and all your MP to defeat one of your underlings.

sounds pretty normal to me. That's kinda how most MMORPGs work you know? Every important fight has to make you spend tons of cash items, otherwise the dev can't squeeze money out of you. Some mmorpgs get to the point where everyone on the leaderboards is guzzling cash items for EVERYTHING, just because that makes them do whatever it is they do faster, i.e. they can get further ahead of the others.

That depends of course on how greedy the developer is and what cash objectives he has. I am currently playing one that is free with cash paying for extra stuff but all those stuff are nothing but skins and nice effects that do not in any way hinder a non cash player. The cash players only get a nicer looking character and some pet or something and nothing more.
Of course subscription MMORPGS avoid cash items too because then the subscribers will be pissed on having to pay even more.
MonadSep 30, 2015 2:42 AM
Sep 30, 2015 2:38 AM
Oct 2013
LOL the ending is basically sums up as "read the LN or suffer eternally" xD
seriously, I want to see Gargantua and Victim to be animated so bad :(
It's a shame that Memehouse...oh, Madhouse doesn't give any f**k :v

Mormegil said:

As far as "stuck in the game" type anime are concerned, I still think this is one of the better ones. Honestly speaking, I was more invested in the first couple of episodes rather than the later ones, but still a good show overall. Albedo best girl, of course.

Remember the Lizardmen village that Albedo talked about?
Ainz want to display the full strength of Nazarick's Guardians to intimidate them, and make them subjugated under authority of Ainz.
SacrivenSep 30, 2015 2:43 AM
Sep 30, 2015 2:42 AM

Dec 2013
Merkk said:
ichii_1 said:

She's not raid tier boss level, she's just the worst matchup for Ainz, touch me would beat shalltear easily.
Ainz has a rare class called the "eclipse class" one of the skills let's him strengthen his instant death skills.

i haven't read the LN, but saw some people discussing it, i don't remember everything but:
- the insta death skill is unique to ains that was rewarded for his RP build (and i think there needs to be a set up they mentioned on the anime, i think?)
-shaltear is immune to it so he had to use another skill with it
-it has a 30 second cast time
-3 days of cooldown

something like that
Sep 30, 2015 2:44 AM

May 2015
i need season 2!!
Sep 30, 2015 2:46 AM
Oct 2013
cruzateu said:
Merkk said:

i haven't read the LN, but saw some people discussing it, i don't remember everything but:
- the insta death skill is unique to ains that was rewarded for his RP build (and i think there needs to be a set up they mentioned on the anime, i think?)
-shaltear is immune to it so he had to use another skill with it
-it has a 30 second cast time
-3 days of cooldown

something like that

-Yes, it's the special skill from 'Eclipse' class
-Nope, Shalltear was dead back then, but revived again thanks to the resurrection items that Peroronchino gave her.
-12 sec cast time, 100 hours cooldown
Sep 30, 2015 2:49 AM

Dec 2013
Sacriven said:

-Nope, Shalltear was dead back then, but revived again thanks to the resurrection items that Peroronchino gave her.

i know that she was dead back then, but i remember someone mentioning that the skill had a prerequisite to work on shaltear.
Sep 30, 2015 2:50 AM

Apr 2008
Merkk said:
ichii_1 said:

The developers hid a lot of secret spells and skills in the game.. Momonga was the only one to unlock the Goal of All life is Death by focusing on his necromantic and overlord class for roleplay purposes.
Sep 30, 2015 2:52 AM

Apr 2008
Xynic said:
Summer 2015 has officially ended, well atleast for me.

There still a lot of mysteries in the show, sadly, Madhouse produce this and they're notorious for not making second seasons. Im still hoping though. We still have no idea what Ains look like in real life maybe he's actually sweaty and fat but from what I remember only working adults can join the guild so at least we are certain he's not jobless.

Well this anime definitely was more entertaining than I first thought. Overall very decent.

We see what Ainz looks like in the manga
Sep 30, 2015 2:57 AM
Oct 2013
cruzateu said:
Sacriven said:

i know that she was dead back then, but i remember someone mentioning that the skill had a prerequisite to work on shaltear.

IIRC, there is no such thing. TGOALID bypasses all resistance, including Undead's immunity against death spells. The only drawback is...well, long cast time and very long cooldown.

If you mean 'Cry of the Banshee', Ainz used this only to widen TGOALID's AoE
Sep 30, 2015 3:00 AM

Sep 2010
Critically the series is probably worth a 6 when taking into considering how ugly and cheap a lot of the art and animation was, but I couldn't help but find myself enjoying the series immensely for reasons I can't pin down.
For me that warrants a 7/10 or 8/10. I'll give it a 7.5 and round up to an 8.

I'm not sure why I loved this series so much, I've had more fun with this than any other series this season, though many others seem objectively superior. I probably would have hated it if like others I had read the novels, but thankfully I haven't.
ScarmaskSep 30, 2015 3:50 AM
Sep 30, 2015 3:20 AM
Oct 2011
Sacriven said:

If you mean 'Cry of the Banshee', Ainz used this only to widen TGOALID's AoE
I think thats not right, it only delayed cry of the banshee for 12 seconds,but at the same time it removes the limitations and also immunities of its enemies,the actual spell that decimated everything should've been cry of the banshee.

Sep 30, 2015 3:43 AM

Sep 2010
Pay to win confirmed!

But really while looking at this show as an anime, this was the worst and most 'we hate you guys' ending one can image. Show a bunch of hype teasers of what will happen afterwards and then start the ending song. Nope... never to be. This kind of ending can be only considered reasonable if after the ending there would be the news of the next season, which there was not. Maybe one day but in any case MadHouse wasn't planning to do it so far.

So all that means was that Overlord anime wasn't an anime but a simple advertisement for the LN, with very little consideration for anime itself. That's my single thought opinion after watching that I will answer with anytime someone ask me about this anime.

Ah... since when did Anime turn into this direction... I ask myself at the end of every season where out of average 7 animes I watch till the end, usually only one has something that can be called ending.

Now, how many seasons I am asking myself this question now?
Sep 30, 2015 3:50 AM

Jul 2007
What or who was that eyeball inside Shalltears helmet?
Sep 30, 2015 3:59 AM

Mar 2008
Grummel said:
I think it was implied that the elf girl was behind it.
Sep 30, 2015 3:59 AM

Apr 2008
Grummel said:

That was Aura distracting Shalltear since Ainz hesitated at the critical moment when he was about to destroy Shalltear.
Sep 30, 2015 4:03 AM

Aug 2012
If there'll ever be a season 2, are there gonna be other players from yggdrasil whose skills match Momonga or more superior..!? Because if only those pitiful humans thats up to challenge Momonga, then I prefer not to watch if the whole point of future battles are just showcasing Momonga and the gang of Nazarick's skills. ╮(╯▽╰)╭

And pulling cash shop items to npc was really cheap. Momonga already had those shining armor and flashy swords even super-tier skills, there's no need to use p2w items (poor Shalltear). (¬_¬)

All in all 7/10. Flashy battles and some interesting characters like Pandora's Actor ( ̄▽ ̄ )
Sep 30, 2015 4:08 AM

Dec 2014
Good anime, i really like how mc is smart and also op, if there is a second season, i would gladly watch

Join reddit r/anime community!
Sep 30, 2015 4:10 AM
Jul 2018
Loved the episode and I hope there's a season 2.
I wished the fight was a little more badass though.
I mean, even though Ainz is that strong, he had to use all those spells to defeat Shalltear. I thought he was a lot stronger but I guess I was wrong. Still OP, anyways.
Sep 30, 2015 4:19 AM

May 2014
Well it finally ended, really just some mysteries piled up together for no aparant reason, well unless this'll get a 2nd season.
Good fight, good animation nonetheless. The attention and thrill this anime needs weakened too in the latter few episodes.
My final rating will be an 8.
Sep 30, 2015 4:33 AM

Jan 2012
And so Ainz is able to defeat and revive Shalltear, free of the mind control. After that we just get brief glimpses into what might come next. And I'd really like to see what comes next, but only as an anime. This was a fun series, but it left me wanting more. Source material readers hated it, but well that almost always seems to be the case. I enjoyed it well enough, though I'm only gonna give it a 7/10. I do get the sense that that score could rise if we get more of the story adapted, but....
Sep 30, 2015 4:50 AM

Jan 2015
7 or 8/10
Sep 30, 2015 4:53 AM
Jan 2010
Momo went full p2w on her ass
Pages (9) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Overlord Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 8, 2015

282 by Raphaela28 »»
Apr 19, 4:31 AM

Poll: » Overlord Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 7, 2015

368 by mustiest »»
Apr 17, 8:09 PM

» Why do people compare this show to SAO? ( 1 2 )

arc1only - Jan 8

58 by Reevansingh21 »»
Mar 31, 3:47 PM

» Why is shalltear stronger than Ainz??

SkyVongolaPrimo - Oct 20, 2015

16 by janreycampo »»
Mar 27, 10:22 AM

» Why couldn't Ainz defeat Shalltear easily?

Complexor - Dec 13, 2015

14 by janreycampo »»
Mar 27, 10:20 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.