Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 25, 2015 1:41 PM

Dec 2014
Just how important is it for someone to be a MC for an anime?

Intelligence, talented, blessed, immunity, super adaptation ability, luck, charisma, etc.

Is it a must in order to make a good fantasy-genre anime?

*excluding those genre such as slice of life anime*
Signature removed. Check your inbox
Sep 25, 2015 1:52 PM
Mar 2014
i dont get the question
Rinth said:
Every opinion is not equal. Some opinions are simply made out of shit.

nasuverse > your favorite anime
Sep 25, 2015 2:47 PM
May 2015
omfgplzstop said:
i dont get the question

I guess OP's asking does a character need to possess special traits (being born with plot armor genes or super intelligence) to qualify as a main character and is possessing those traits really necessary. If that's so, I agree with the above quote. It's not. I think a story could work with an average character.
Sep 25, 2015 2:49 PM

Sep 2013
Sep 25, 2015 2:51 PM

Jan 2008
ichii_1 said:

That's a lot of calcium
Sep 25, 2015 2:53 PM

Jul 2015
it's a must have for teenage power fantasy stories. kinda useless and distracting in serious animu.

Lucia_Rosier said:
plot armor genes

lol :p
Sep 25, 2015 3:25 PM

Feb 2013
mc should be a cute girl
that is ideal and fits perfectly with all my fantasy-genre anime 10's (except Uchouten Kazoku but that is also slice of life)
Sep 25, 2015 3:31 PM

Sep 2013
Paul said:
ichii_1 said:

That's a lot of calcium

Aye, he ain't called the Panty Soaker for nothing ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Sep 25, 2015 3:39 PM

Mar 2015
people rant on OP character, people rant on beta character. people just rant to everything.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Sep 25, 2015 4:43 PM

May 2015
Talented characters are boring.

I don't care how talented a character is. Just make him solve equations on the spot and that's it. It takes no effort.

I'm interested in traits and psychology - Is the MC impulsive? fearful? narrow-minded? snobbish? has a hero complex?
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Sep 26, 2015 6:29 PM
Mar 2014
TheBrainintheJar said:

I don't care how talented a character is. Just make him solve equations on the spot and that's it. It takes no effort.

I'm interested in traits and psychology - Is the MC impulsive? fearful? narrow-minded? snobbish? has a hero complex?

>talented characters are boring

because a character that can't do anything isn't
Rinth said:

Sep 27, 2015 6:17 AM

May 2015
omfgplzstop said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

A character that can't do anything has a lot to struggle with. That sounds interesting to me. I want to see the struggle and the effort. I want to see the character overcoming obstacles or facing with failure.
Sep 27, 2015 6:46 AM
Mar 2014
TheBrainintheJar said:
omfgplzstop said:

A character that can't do anything has a lot to struggle with. That sounds interesting to me. I want to see the struggle and the effort. I want to see the character overcoming obstacles or facing with failure.

What if that character has no drive to do anything? What if he tries once and then gives up?
That's still boring.

Saying talented characters are boring is stupid because it all depends on the character's personality and the rest of their traits.

Mikasa from Shingeki no Kyojin, for example, is talented. She can beat everyone in a streetfight and easily kill titans. But she's boring, because she isn't really interested in anything other than Eren, and only does what she does because of him.

On the other hand, Izaya from Durarara!! is talented at many things, like gathering information and hand-to-hand combat. He likes manipulating people into various outcomes, seeing their reactions to different situations, and teasing organizations or people who are stronger than him. He is far from a boring character. It's very entertaining to watch his schemes come into play (although it did get somewhat tedious at some points), and the way other characters react to them is something I always enjoyed.

If you're looking for a protagonist, then there's Momonga from Overlord, albeit his inner struggles are much more noticeable in the novels (i didn't even notice them in the anime but eh), Staz from Blood Lad who has to deal with the tasks imposed on him as a result of his talent, Edward from FMA:B, Gon/Killua from HxH, Joseph from JJBA, and the list goes on.

Many stories are vastly different from others. A character's value as one, or simply his/her value of entertainment, depends on the character's personality and circumstances and not whether they're talented or not.
Rinth said:

Sep 27, 2015 9:20 AM
Mar 2012
TheBrainintheJar said:
omfgplzstop said:

Because people with talent can't struggle?
Sep 27, 2015 9:31 AM

Feb 2014
aLotQuestion said:
Intelligence, talented, blessed, immunity, super adaptation ability, luck, charisma, etc.

All of the above obviously.

Sep 27, 2015 1:39 PM

Jun 2015
In the fantasy genre
any war battle themed work,
what makes a char the mc is that he has that plot armor.
without it, he would have been just another mook cannon fodder.

and be dead 3 eps in.

eg, if gon n killua werent such special snowflakes, they woulda died just like all those poor bastards hisoka killed during the exam.

if harry potter wasnt such a special snowflake, he woulda stayed dead.

and the story then would be about a buncha kids going to magic school whre one teacher is quirrel who gets the stone, becomes the dark lord again and kills all the muggles.

game over.

if the mc is just average, what makes him better than other chars in tht world, what gives him the status as the protagonist? he's just average, and its a world where shit happens alot. what makes him special? why is he the mc?
Sep 27, 2015 4:12 PM

May 2015
omfgplzstop said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

What if that character has no drive to do anything? What if he tries once and then gives up?
That's still boring.

Saying talented characters are boring is stupid because it all depends on the character's personality and the rest of their traits.

Mikasa from Shingeki no Kyojin, for example, is talented. She can beat everyone in a streetfight and easily kill titans. But she's boring, because she isn't really interested in anything other than Eren, and only does what she does because of him.

On the other hand, Izaya from Durarara!! is talented at many things, like gathering information and hand-to-hand combat. He likes manipulating people into various outcomes, seeing their reactions to different situations, and teasing organizations or people who are stronger than him. He is far from a boring character. It's very entertaining to watch his schemes come into play (although it did get somewhat tedious at some points), and the way other characters react to them is something I always enjoyed.

If you're looking for a protagonist, then there's Momonga from Overlord, albeit his inner struggles are much more noticeable in the novels (i didn't even notice them in the anime but eh), Staz from Blood Lad who has to deal with the tasks imposed on him as a result of his talent, Edward from FMA:B, Gon/Killua from HxH, Joseph from JJBA, and the list goes on.

Many stories are vastly different from others. A character's value as one, or simply his/her value of entertainment, depends on the character's personality and circumstances and not whether they're talented or not.

Mikasa is boring because she has no struggle. He wants to protect Eren, but we rarely see the emotional turmoil that comes with such an obsession. She sounds like a Yandere without the psychosis.

Izaya sounds entertaining, but not a well-developed character.

I'm not interested in seeing a character solves problems because of his skill. I want to see him solve it because of the personality. A character should be more defined by its personality. A personality affects everything the character does. A skill mainly helps to move the plot.
Sep 27, 2015 4:14 PM

Apr 2014
No it isn't, but an enjoyable MC is always appreciated a lot.
Sep 27, 2015 4:50 PM

Jan 2008
baskervillain said:
TheBrainintheJar said:
+1

i couldn't care less whether or not the character is considered OP. i just want to see something interesting, like inner turmoil, misconstrued perceptions, amoral tendencies, and so on. as long as the character is written as an individual with interesting traits, i enjoy watching them develop.

OP characters generally have less character growth and less "problems". Unless the entire series is filled with flashbacks on how they became so OP.
Sep 27, 2015 4:57 PM

Jul 2015
^^OP characters can have problems. I was a huge fan of Spawn, that guy is broken OP but spends half his time in back alleys, whining because he lost his wife/sold his soul.
Sep 28, 2015 6:25 AM

Nov 2009
aLotQuestion said:
Just how important is it for someone to be a MC for an anime?

Is it a must in order to make a good fantasy-genre anime?

Intelligence - no, many main characters in anime are quite dumb, and some even manage to win because they're that dumb. To quote Anti-Spiral from TTGL: "No sapient being could have escaped that trap!".
talented - common, useful, but not necessary. At a minimum, MC needs to be part of class of special people who get to be cool in the particular anime, for example have a gift for magic. Adlet from Rokka no Yuusha did manage to be MC without any apparent talents, just by training really hard.
blessed - no idea what it means in non-theistic universes. In theistic universes, expect MC's relationships to god(s) to be special, whether he's the chosen one, the local antichrist or even boy/girlfriend.
immunity, plot armor, luck - very likely, as MCs are usually expected to survive to the end and triumph against impossible odds. The better author's skill is, the less he needs these things.
charisma - no connection. Half of main characters are "self-inserts" for the audience, and thus are plain and uncharismatic.
Sep 29, 2015 1:45 AM

May 2015
Clebardman said:
^^OP characters can have problems. I was a huge fan of Spawn, that guy is broken OP but spends half his time in back alleys, whining because he lost his wife/sold his soul.

I think when most people complain about OP, they complain about characters who have a lot of talent and no real struggle. Max Cohen from Pi is OP when it comes to mathematics, but instead of being a womanizing, smooth intellectual he's a paranoid antisocial.
Sep 29, 2015 1:49 AM

Jun 2014
Stop dissing Mikasa guys, she has nice abs and a great body!
Sep 29, 2015 4:19 AM

May 2015
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Stop dissing Mikasa guys, she has nice abs and a great body!

Yeah, but she has no personality. Looks work in pin-up but a fictional character needs a little more.
Sep 29, 2015 4:53 AM

Nov 2009
TheBrainintheJar said:
Clebardman said:

I think when most people complain about OP, they complain about characters who have a lot of talent and no real struggle. Max Cohen from Pi is OP when it comes to mathematics, but instead of being a womanizing, smooth intellectual he's a paranoid antisocial.

MC from Overlord is so powerful that we expect him to take over the world in the end. He spends most of his time being paranoid, clinging to his past and trying to prevent his subordinates from screwing everything up. (His subordinates are as dumb as he is smart, I'd say. Even the smart ones are smart in a really dumb way.)
Sep 29, 2015 4:55 AM

Jan 2015
aLotQuestion said:
*excluding those genre such as slice of life anime*
no
Twitter and it's consequences had been a disaster for the human race
Sep 29, 2015 4:57 AM

Sep 2015
Lemongrope said:

This.
Sep 29, 2015 6:42 AM
Mar 2014
TheBrainintheJar said:
omfgplzstop said:

That's still boring.

Mikasa is boring because she has no struggle. He wants to protect Eren, but we rarely see the emotional turmoil that comes with such an obsession. She sounds like a Yandere without the psychosis.

Good job on repeating what I said.

TheBraininTheJar said:

I'm not interested in seeing a character solves problems because of his skill. I want to see him solve it because of the personality. A character should be more defined by its personality. A personality affects everything the character does. A skill mainly helps to move the plot.

Assuming a character isn't well-developed right off the bat just because he's talented makes it hard for me to respond seriously.

personality, personality, personality, personality, personality, personality
That's basically your argument. You're saying a skill only helps move the plot, while a skill is in many cases the basis for a character's personality. Accelerator from the Toaru series would've been a completely different person without his powers. Light Yagami from Death Note would've been a completely different person without his intelligence. Nicolas from Gangsta. would've been a completely different person without his abilities. And, again, the list goes on.

A character doesn't have to be a beta who can't do shit to be interesting. Please stop making dumb generalizations.
Rinth said:

Sep 29, 2015 7:25 AM

Nov 2009
omfgplzstop said:
TheBraininTheJar said:

Assuming a character isn't well-developed right off the bat just because he's talented makes it hard for me to respond seriously.

That's basically your argument. You're saying a skill only helps move the plot, while a skill is in many cases the basis for a character's personality. Accelerator from the Toaru series would've been a completely different person without his powers. Light Yagami from Death Note would've been a completely different person without his intelligence. Nicolas from Gangsta. would've been a completely different person without his abilities. And, again, the list goes on.

A character doesn't have to be a beta who can't do shit to be interesting. Please stop making dumb generalizations.

Makes me wonder, what does a character who solves problems because of his personality looks like?
Is it a cute girl who goes into a room, trips, cries, and everybody stops fighting and goes "moe!" over her?
Sep 29, 2015 7:27 AM
Mar 2014
flannan said:
omfgplzstop said:

Makes me wonder, what does a character who solves problems because of his personality looks like?
Is it a cute girl who goes into a room, trips, cries, and everybody stops fighting and goes "moe!" over her?

lmao i thought about that too
Rinth said:

Sep 29, 2015 7:41 AM

Jan 2010
At a time, having a powerful hero with unique qualities was admirable, where they served as role models and look up to. At some other point in time, the hero with humble origins became the admirable one, working their way up from the dirt. I'm not exactly sure when this started, but perhaps it was when the "ordinary person" became able to write and print. It could also be when hard work and perseverance became more valuable than traits earned from birth. I also see this as a commentary on people, where there was a need for a character above humanity to do or become something great. Since we're people, we can see the flaws in other people, so someone that's no longer human could potentially be better, which lends to crossbred, godlike, or inhumanely strong/smart/talented characters.

It's never necessary, but it certainly helps to make a main character stand out. No one else can do what they can do, so it's up to them to accomplish some task impossible for the ordinary person. Of course it's just as interesting to watch an ordinary person accomplish an impossible task, both cases just happen to have different appeals and potentials for drama. Do you want to watch an anime about someone struggling to the top, or someone trying to stay at the top?
Sep 29, 2015 7:46 AM

Feb 2015
Shinji, or the even better example.
Akariin~!
Now you're wondering if there's white text in any of my other posts.

Over there, I'm everywhere. I know that.
Sep 29, 2015 7:59 AM

Apr 2013
I hate gary stu/too OP characters that barely struggles throughout the story.

Tatsuya (Mahouka), Momonga (Overlord) and such especially found in LNs.

I prefer my MC with a bit of above average strength but at the same time, have to be smart about the things they do, don't fuck around with the wrong people and not be so broken that they can one shot/do whatever the fuck they want without a single opponent that matches/overpowers them.
Sep 29, 2015 11:53 PM

May 2015
Shocked said:
At a time, having a powerful hero with unique qualities was admirable, where they served as role models and look up to. At some other point in time, the hero with humble origins became the admirable one, working their way up from the dirt. I'm not exactly sure when this started, but perhaps it was when the "ordinary person" became able to write and print. It could also be when hard work and perseverance became more valuable than traits earned from birth. I also see this as a commentary on people, where there was a need for a character above humanity to do or become something great. Since we're people, we can see the flaws in other people, so someone that's no longer human could potentially be better, which lends to crossbred, godlike, or inhumanely strong/smart/talented characters.

It's never necessary, but it certainly helps to make a main character stand out. No one else can do what they can do, so it's up to them to accomplish some task impossible for the ordinary person. Of course it's just as interesting to watch an ordinary person accomplish an impossible task, both cases just happen to have different appeals and potentials for drama. Do you want to watch an anime about someone struggling to the top, or someone trying to stay at the top?

Both heroes were supposed to be role models, but the powerful hero was a Greek ideal. The humble hero is more of a Christian idea, who wins through hard work and faith rather than plain strength.

I don't think characters should be role models. It's easy to make them make the right decisions. Characters should be an exploration of some personality, an idea. Don't just show me a moral character, but how being moral affects him.

More topics from this board

» Anime and Time Management

LenRea - 37 minutes ago

7 by Serafos »»
10 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you tend to watch newer seasonal shows, or older shows?

Akuya - 8 hours ago

33 by SparksOfSerenity »»
13 minutes ago

Poll: » has the majority of people (here) seen the big 3 ? ( 1 2 3 )

ame - Apr 16

134 by Fluffygreygrass »»
13 minutes ago

» angry sub only users ( 1 2 )

Yorda_trico - Apr 15

94 by Lawgun »»
34 minutes ago

» thoughts on Chinese anime? ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ryo-san - Mar 6, 2022

215 by LostSpectre »»
35 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.