Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Overlord (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Sep 22, 2015 7:43 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Damn what an tense episode especially that ending...

Color me surprised here but I am impressed. Ainz and his skeletal avatar. This is one heck of a showdown against Shaltear. And if anything, I think the confrontation itself is worth remembering. Shaltear's fighting armor though....eh, got some mixed thoughts on it....
Stark700Sep 22, 2015 8:07 AM
Sep 22, 2015 7:50 AM

Jul 2014
That was disappointing...
Sep 22, 2015 7:51 AM

Apr 2008
Arcanix said:

Mind elaborating?
Sep 22, 2015 7:52 AM
Oct 2011
Stark700 said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Damn what an tense episode especially that ending...

Color me surprised here but I am impressed. Ainz and his skeletal avatar. This is one heck of a showdown against Shaltear. And if anything, I think the confrontation itself is worth remembering. Shaltear's fighting armor though....eh, got some mixed thoughts on it.
I don't know....I feel pretty depressed,but sasuga Madhouse I expected mostly that sort of horrible execution.
Sep 22, 2015 7:54 AM

Jul 2014
Darklight0303 said:
Arcanix said:

Mind elaborating?

Well it's just that... it was boring. They didn't manage to capture the feeling that i got when reading the novel. The animation was once again mediocre and to top it all off... you know that "hype spell"- yes the one that was described so good in the novel. Ya we got a white screen, because fuck animating it, right?

Shalltear was looking like a fucking goblin in that armor, the armor looked bad, the fight looked bad with the exception of some parts. Ya, it was just boring(in my opinion, don't crucify me if you think it was mad hype)
Sep 22, 2015 7:58 AM

Apr 2015
is it already out? wondering about what will happen to shalltear tho
Sep 22, 2015 8:00 AM
Oct 2011
"The world died. It was not a figure of speech. Everything had died. In front of his eyes, the Einherjar turned into a white mist and began to crumble. Even the lifeless construct had died instantly. Likewise, Shalltear’s kin, succumbing to a power that they could not resist, began to die out. But it did not end there. Even the air that was devoid of life died and turned the 200 meter diameter into a space where breathing was impossible. If there had been a being here who needed to breathe in order to live, the dead air would have contaminated the lungs and ended its life.

Not only that, the land died as well. With Ainz at its center, an area measuring 200 meters in diameter instantly turned into a desert. In a world where only death existed, the only thing left moving was Ainz and Shalltear. Ainz’s secret weapon, ‘The Goal of All Life is Death’, it strengthened the instant death effect of spells and skills to the point where even those with complete immunity were killed. A method to defend against it was to, like Shalltear, deploy a self-resurrection effect and so on. It was also the reason why even inanimate objects like the air and land had died. Although its effects weren’t to this extent in Yggdrasil, in the real world, it was much more clearly pronounced in the form of granting ‘Death’ to all equally"

^This awesome spell turned into a white screen lol apart from a few scenes it was pretty bad.
Sep 22, 2015 8:05 AM
Mar 2012
if this had the budget of one punch man omg the episode would have been too good but different studios give different budgets i guess... kinda dissapointed as well expected more hype and better excecution but it turned out to be a mediocore battle and yeah the hype spell got a white screen. if they atleast showed some movement with ainz and shalltear and more effects it would ahve been better but just a white screen come on.
Sep 22, 2015 8:12 AM
Jul 2018
Ainz looks loads better without the stupid mantle and shoulder pads. Whoever designed his regular outfit had a piss poor sense of style imo.
Sep 22, 2015 8:17 AM
Mar 2012
People always forget that the budget anime studios get makes the quality better as you see with one punch man and overlord. Its just so sad that one of ur favourite light novels gets a really low budget which makes most epic moments cheaply produced like the hype spell.
Sep 22, 2015 8:21 AM
Oct 2011
Warbandit18 said:
People always forget that the budget anime studios get makes the quality better as you see with one punch man and overlord. Its just so sad that one of ur favourite light novels gets a really low budget which makes most epic moments cheaply produced like the hype spell.
Well it's not that surprising tbh.They used up the budget early on to at least make it decent so they could hook more people in.After that since people would watch it till the end, there was no need to waste their budget on the last 2 eps(or the last arc).Doesn't excuse it for being bad though.
Sep 22, 2015 8:24 AM
Mar 2012
barmar said:
Warbandit18 said:
Well it's not that surprising tbh.They used up the budget early on to at least make it decent so they could hook more people in.After that since people would watch it till the end, there was no need to waste their budget on the last 2 eps(or the last arc).Doesn't excuse it for being bad though.

yeah. Wished that overlord had the same quality as one punch man that would ahve been good for this novel.
Sep 22, 2015 8:31 AM

Jan 2013
Yeah, all those contents skipped for this mediocre action. I can't complain enough.

Apart from that, I really don't like Demiurge's acting. It's either execution or VA's lack of effort. He seemed "acting" angry, like "oh, the script says this is the part where I get angry, ok then." Demiurge's a calm tactician character, but not when Ainz's life is in danger. The VA failed to express his anger and anxiousness.

It's not even about budgets, the studio has no passion about this adaptation.
日本人はイッちゃってるよ
あいつら未来に生きてんな
Sep 22, 2015 8:34 AM
Oct 2011
DawnJ said:
Yeah, all those contents skipped for this mediocre action. I can't complain enough.

Apart from that, I really don't like Demiurge's acting. It's either execution or VA's lack of effort. He seemed "acting" angry, like "oh, the script says this is the part where I get angry, ok then." Demiurge's a calm tactician character, but not when Ainz's life is at danger. The VA failed to express his anger and anxiousness.

It's not even about budgets, the studio has no passion about this adaptation.
Exactly this. The style and execution is very underwhelming too,it felt more like a comedy rather than a tense atmosphere.Just the overall attitude Madhouse has taken towards this adaption feels lazy.
barmarSep 22, 2015 8:44 AM
Sep 22, 2015 8:40 AM
Mar 2012
if this was an anime original anime then it could have been something but because you read the ln you just miss that ping what the ln has and what this anime lacks.
Sep 22, 2015 9:05 AM

Jan 2012
Ains vs Shalltear seems to be reaching a conclusion. Makes sense as our finale is next week. Ok fight I guess, time to see how Ains intends to win.
Sep 22, 2015 9:08 AM

Aug 2014
The magic effect in this episode is overwhelming, look at all those beautiful magic circles.
The timer spell and the ending were well executed together.
Though non-LN people would be confused about that spell.

It would be better if they fight while talking than just standing there throughout too.
Your taste in Anime is shit.

Because you can't differentiate between what's good and bad.

How sad.
Sep 22, 2015 9:21 AM

Jun 2015
The fight was decent. Tons of boosts, magic and skills thrown out there.
A little underwhelming yes, but definitely watchable.
Looking forward to the season finale next time out.

Sep 22, 2015 9:22 AM

Jan 2013
I don't read the LN, but it seemed pretty straightforward. The Goal of All Life is Death. If you don't know from gaming or mythology that the wail of a Banshee is a death sentence, then you might think that the skill itself is what caused the world to die in the area of effect. But the details make it clear enough--whether the Banshee's keen was responsible or the skill, when a terrain type instantly transforms into desert that is visual shorthand for everything in the area has been killed.
Sep 22, 2015 9:22 AM

Aug 2010
Ended exactly where I thought it would.

Dat spamming tho.

Shalltear is way too HAX. So broken...
Sep 22, 2015 9:23 AM

Nov 2014
Ainz is ugly
Hi there
Sep 22, 2015 9:24 AM
Feb 2013
This episode was really tense. I can't wait for the next episode!
Sep 22, 2015 9:27 AM

Aug 2015
awww, and now it is such a long cooldown... I mean waiting period for next episode.
Sep 22, 2015 9:34 AM

Jul 2009
Damn now I want to rush the LN and check all that spells.

Looks like Ainz will try to deal with Shalltear in his armor and will use what he learned through his adventures with Nabel.
Sep 22, 2015 9:34 AM

Feb 2012
Glad I have picked up the LN, I'm missing out so much. Thanks Madhouse
Sep 22, 2015 9:35 AM

Jul 2014
How many spells does Ains have that he is able to set up 20 or so before the fight and then use at least 10 more in the fight itself? As for the fight itself, I didn't think it was underwhelming at all. Sure, the animation at times could have been better, but the fight was definitely entertaining.

It'll be interesting to see how Ains brings this to a conclusion next week.
Sep 22, 2015 9:37 AM

Feb 2014
That was fucking awesome. Met my expectations. Wonder what Ainz planned, the situation looks pretty bad for him.
Sep 22, 2015 9:45 AM
Oct 2014
So disappointed, I am a fan of overlord light novel but but anime disappoint me.madhouse rused again.....
Sep 22, 2015 9:45 AM

Jan 2013
This needs a second seasons badly ... LN have material for 3 seasons at least (perhaps other studio can do better animation work, even though I am not sure if they won't censor the s*** out of it)
Signature removed. It was too good for this cruel world.
Sep 22, 2015 9:48 AM

Aug 2014
Thinking of starting the manga. But I will give it a last chance with a second season and hope for the best.

Oh, pitiful shadow cloaked in darkness.
Thy actions cause men pain and suffering.
Thy hollow soul drowns in thy sins.
How would you like to see what death is like?
-Enma Ai
Sep 22, 2015 9:58 AM

Sep 2010
I thought that it will be the last episode and watched with the thought that the battle will end, and here I got the cliffhanger and the end, see you next week.

All in all though, this anime is only 13 episodes and no matter what is happening in LN, I fell like the story is somewhat weak. While there is the great setting at the beginning, not much has happened during this anime, only Ains walked a little destroyed few weaklings on his way and now the hardest hard is against his subordinate... because he and his whole team are all so OP that only that fight can not end the second Ains gets serious. Still where is the conquer of the world, where is the army of skeletons cutting through people and burring their houses.

I thought I will see a little bit of that in this anime but nope. There is nothing at all and the evil Overlord so far is mostly the good guy. He saved the village, saved the city, defeated the bad guys. I starting to wonder why is this story called Overlord. Overlord is not the description of the good guy.

As for this battle... it's not like it's that great as well. They are just spamming skills one after another... very little tactics but just spells that are all named, "super something", "greater other thing", such additions just to make them sound more overpowered, while to me it sounds silly. The animation wasn't that great.

All in all, when it comes to VRMMORPG animes, I would say that this one fails short in comparison to other two stories. Even SAO had good parts about them like animation music and the fact that the story ended (what happens after aincrad is a filler jump for money).

After watching this anime, I don't really feel like picking up it's LN, even though I thought about it at the beginning. Maybe the last episode will change that but if they add a stupid cliffhanger at the end of it, then NO!
Sep 22, 2015 10:04 AM

Feb 2015

That was an interesting fight. As expected, Ainz isn't going to beat Shalltear that easily.

Too many buffs. Of course, Penetrate Up and Greater Hardening were the best ones.

SchwingBonerSep 22, 2015 10:08 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 22, 2015 10:05 AM

Jul 2015
It is very difficult to animate magic battles well. I think it went ok.

Hope we get a S2. Vol 4 was very interesting to read.
Sep 22, 2015 10:10 AM

Apr 2008
Honestly I wasn't that disappointed with the episode. The goal of all life is death fading to white was a bit cheap but then again how would you animate the majority of the description of the effects of the spell? How do you illustrate AIR dying?
Sep 22, 2015 10:13 AM

Feb 2015
I have been waiting 12 episodes to watch the "The goal of all life is death" adaptation and it ended like this...
I... -sigh-
Reaction:

Steven15ify said:
Thinking of starting the manga. But I will give it a last chance with a second season and hope for the best.

Manga it's montly. Reached chapter 8. Didn't even finish Volume 2.
NezperdianSep 22, 2015 10:18 AM
Sep 22, 2015 10:19 AM

Jul 2014
The imagination and expectation train strikes again.

You know. Im glad i havent read the Novel, why? Because my expectations would be different.

I see a lot of comments that LN did it bettter that it was better and that anime is really bad because it doesnt show everything that is in LN.

Look guys.

Those who read the LN.

You will never like the anime adaptation, why do you even bother watching? The whole purpose of books is for you to read and imagine action happening for yourself. When you read the LN you see one thing but others see other things. But when you watch the anime and it doesnt go how you imagined it you start whining.

Please, considering the budget the makers had on this, they did a really good job, for me, it was awesome, the whole fight went almost exactly like my D&D games went. They cant include everything that you liked or that for you seemed important. They cant make animations that you personally like.

Just enjoy the anime, and if you read the LN, dont expect everything to be catered to your vision.
There is no "Good or "bad" anime. There is only different anime.
Sep 22, 2015 10:23 AM
Jul 2018
The fight was okay, but the stopping to talk parts kinda ruined the build up during the fight.
Man but seriously, if only they gave this a bigger budget this fight would've looked so epic ( and the character's and other scenes would've looked better)
Sep 22, 2015 10:32 AM
Jul 2018
Ains vs Shalltear was very good.
Sep 22, 2015 10:37 AM

Jun 2014
That fight was....all right I guess. The last couple of episodes were rushed to allow 2 episodes for this fight, and apparently Madhouse still couldn't capture all of the epicness. That's kind of expected from LN adaptations though.

barmar said:
"The world died. It was not a figure of speech. Everything had died. In front of his eyes, the Einherjar turned into a white mist and began to crumble. Even the lifeless construct had died instantly. Likewise, Shalltear’s kin, succumbing to a power that they could not resist, began to die out. But it did not end there. Even the air that was devoid of life died and turned the 200 meter diameter into a space where breathing was impossible. If there had been a being here who needed to breathe in order to live, the dead air would have contaminated the lungs and ended its life.

Not only that, the land died as well. With Ainz at its center, an area measuring 200 meters in diameter instantly turned into a desert. In a world where only death existed, the only thing left moving was Ainz and Shalltear. Ainz’s secret weapon, ‘The Goal of All Life is Death’, it strengthened the instant death effect of spells and skills to the point where even those with complete immunity were killed. A method to defend against it was to, like Shalltear, deploy a self-resurrection effect and so on. It was also the reason why even inanimate objects like the air and land had died. Although its effects weren’t to this extent in Yggdrasil, in the real world, it was much more clearly pronounced in the form of granting ‘Death’ to all equally"

As someone who hasn't read the LN, I would have liked to see that included. Just reading that makes it sound more epic, and it's a shame it didn't get included in the anime, but hey, we got a nice white screen right?

beast_regards said:
This needs a second seasons badly ... LN have material for 3 seasons at least (perhaps other studio can do better animation work, even though I am not sure if they won't censor the s*** out of it)

eslej said:
Hope we get a S2. Vol 4 was very interesting to read.

Lol this is Madhouse, there probably won't be a second season.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Sep 22, 2015 10:38 AM
Aug 2008
animefan8800 said:
Ains vs Shalltear seems to be reaching a conclusion. Makes sense as our finale is next week. Ok fight I guess, time to see how Ains intends to win.

Ainz have world level skills which can be used without MP. Rekt in peace Shaltear.
Sep 22, 2015 10:41 AM

Jul 2009
OMG that cliffhanger was done perfectly. The ending theme played while the story continued to make the cliffhanger truly great!

The battle was pretty amusing seeing as I haven't read the light novel... Considering I read the volumes that correspond to the previous arcs though, I'm going to feel that the fight got even more amazing... I can't wait till this season ends!!!!

+I'm with all those hoping for a season 2. :)
Sep 22, 2015 10:47 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
The buff spam by Ainz was pretty dope xD

Nice fight, i enjoyed it.
Sep 22, 2015 10:47 AM
Jul 2015
Pretty good, I liked it. Better than 11 episode atleast for me.
Sep 22, 2015 10:48 AM

Mar 2010
The adaption of this part made me a bit sad but, can't wait for tha last episode :]
Sep 22, 2015 11:01 AM
Feb 2011
The fight so far was kinda okay. But the animation of spells was really underwhelming... like it supposed to be some of the strongest spells in existence and they look so meh. Like that black hole spell in one of the earlier episodes looked better than anything shown in this one.
‘The Goal of All Life is Death’ seemed to look awesome, but then the aftermath was way too colorful after such spell.
Sep 22, 2015 11:05 AM

Jul 2015
please don't tell me they fucked up the adaptation
Sep 22, 2015 11:08 AM

Feb 2015
I really dislike Shaltear and always have from the start so hopefully she truly dies next week.

Also is there any chance of a season 2?
If not then I better start preying that the LN or Manga get brought over here so I can buy them all up
Sep 22, 2015 11:10 AM

Jul 2009
FallenUndead said:
I really dislike Shaltear and always have from the start so hopefully she truly dies next week
I like Shaltear. I'd say the only thing I'd change is the braw-stuffing part.
Sep 22, 2015 11:10 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
This kind of fighting should stay in video games lol

Without proper explanations for what every skill or spell is doing effect-wise it just comes across as random and awkward
Sep 22, 2015 11:13 AM

Apr 2008
dfsafsaf said:
The fight so far was kinda okay. But the animation of spells was really underwhelming... like it supposed to be some of the strongest spells in existence and they look so meh. Like that black hole spell in one of the earlier episodes looked better than anything shown in this one.
‘The Goal of All Life is Death’ seemed to look awesome, but then the aftermath was way too colorful after such spell.

You call nothing but SAND colorful?
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Overlord Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 7, 2015

367 by bonzala »»
Apr 15, 5:56 PM

» Why do people compare this show to SAO? ( 1 2 )

arc1only - Jan 8

58 by Reevansingh21 »»
Mar 31, 3:47 PM

Poll: » Overlord Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 29, 2015

431 by C0ST4 »»
Mar 29, 7:51 AM

» Why is shalltear stronger than Ainz??

SkyVongolaPrimo - Oct 20, 2015

16 by janreycampo »»
Mar 27, 10:22 AM

» Why couldn't Ainz defeat Shalltear easily?

Complexor - Dec 13, 2015

14 by janreycampo »»
Mar 27, 10:20 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.