Forum Settings
Forums

Kids Get Kicked Out of a Hackathon Over A Joke

New
Sep 22, 2015 6:44 AM

Jul 2012
I assume most know what a hackathon is because most people here do something related to the computer science field but if you don't know, it's basically an overnight event where programmers work on technology projects in teams.

So two kids made some comments and then someone reported it to one of the officials of the event because they were worried that it could have been a real bomb. On the first day, these two individuals got expelled from the event and had to go home.

Original article
The counterarguments made by the people who got kicked out: [1] [2]

What do you think about this situation? Should they have gotten kicked out for the harmless joke?

Have you ever be reprimanded or punished over a silly joke?

Discuss and share stories.
Sep 22, 2015 6:58 AM

Dec 2013
There's a reason the kid who made the clock that looked like a bomb got expelled. If they're going to joke about making the actual thing and bringing it they should be aware they won't be allowed in.
Sep 22, 2015 7:02 AM

Oct 2013
That is actually hilarious. Funny world, this is. People get reprimanded for clocks, and retribution is not given to real terror.

I don't have enough information to pass judgement on them. I don't know whether the decision was objective, or whether the person who found the comment "unsafe" was just using it as an excuse to lessen their competition. If it was objective, I don't even know if it's fair. Would it have been fair a few weeks ago? If the ridiculous original incident hadn't happened, this wouldn't be a problem. That's what I do know.

However, I'd expect adults to act with a hint of professionalism. Take yourself seriously if you want other people to do the same to you.
"There's no shame in falling down... true shame is to not stand up again!"

"Aah? Of course I won't miss!"

"My blood tastes like Iron."

"Run through the tape in life! Never give up! Run through the tape!"
Sep 22, 2015 7:05 AM

Feb 2015
lmao

9/11 joke, someone give them a free clock.
CaelidesuSep 22, 2015 7:10 AM
Now you're wondering if there's white text in any of my other posts.

Over there, I'm everywhere. I know that.
Sep 22, 2015 7:06 AM
Mar 2015
It was a stupid joke to make and I can see why they got kicked out. At least it did not become a big deal and getting kicked out of a hackathon is not a big punishment its just a one time event
Sep 22, 2015 7:14 AM

Aug 2015
The result of living in a feminist world.
Sep 22, 2015 7:19 AM

Jul 2012
Scavrefamn said:

What does bomb threats have to do with females?

lequack said:
It was a stupid joke to make and I can see why they got kicked out. At least it did not become a big deal and getting kicked out of a hackathon is not a big punishment its just a one time event

Well, I feel bad because it's a big event that they prepared for and worked hard to innovate their ideas. As a fellow hacker.
Sep 22, 2015 7:21 AM

Aug 2013
Sep 22, 2015 7:22 AM

Mar 2013
Probably a satirical reference to that Mohamed bomb affair. Can't blame them, it was a fucked up affair. :/
Sep 22, 2015 7:23 AM

Jul 2012
PeripheralVision said:
Probably a satirical reference to that Mohamed bomb affair. Can't blame them, it was a fucked up affair. :/

The second one was just a harmless pun, though.
Sep 22, 2015 7:24 AM

Aug 2013
PeripheralVision said:

It did look like a bomb, I would have atleast got a closer look at it even if it were a white kid bringing it in. Can't trust kids these days fuckers all shoot schools up n shit.
Sep 22, 2015 7:26 AM

Mar 2013
mayukachan said:
PeripheralVision said:

The second one was just a harmless pun, though.

Quite a Bombastic pun he made, though I still Exploded with laughter.
Sep 22, 2015 7:28 AM

Mar 2013
Spooks_McBones said:
PeripheralVision said:

It did look like a bomb, I would have atleast got a closer look at it even if it were a white kid bringing it in. Can't trust kids these days fuckers all shoot schools up n shit.

I would've examined it too, but 3 days suspension is a bit harsh. I've done FAR worst things at that age and I've gotten usually 1-2 days suspension. I mean, can they prove it was his intent to cause panic? It's like that time that kid brought a lego gun (for lego minifgigures) to school. :/
Sep 22, 2015 7:30 AM

Aug 2015
mayukachan said:

Women , manginas and feminists are anti jokes, anti freedom of expression and pro ultra-authoritarianship against intelligent (and obviously heterosexual) men. That is one of the core tenets of their religion. This kind of thing is the direct result of female privilege.

In a world not strongly catering to vagina, such a thing would never occur.
Sep 22, 2015 7:30 AM

Jul 2012
PeripheralVision said:
Spooks_McBones said:

I would've examined it too, but 3 days suspension is a bit harsh. I've done FAR worst things at that age and I've gotten usually 1-2 days suspension. I mean, can they prove it was his intent to cause panic? It's like that time that kid brought a lego gun (for lego minifgigures) to school. :/

The thing that bugs me the most is that the guy who instantly kicked them out wasn't even one of the higher ups in the Hack. He should have consulted some of the other officials there before making that decision.

Scavrefamn said:
mayukachan said:

Women , manginas and feminists are anti jokes, anti freedom of expression and pro ultra-authoritarianship against intelligent (and obviously heterosexual) men. That is one of the core tenets of their religion. This kind of thing is the direct result of female privilege.

In a world not strongly catering to vagina, such a thing would never occur.

lol
there are no such things as "females" in a hack anyway
Sep 22, 2015 7:31 AM

Dec 2013
PeripheralVision said:
Supposedly the clock had to be plugged up to work. So he had to have plugged it into an outlet and set the alarm or someone else did, but that's doubted as he's the one to build it.
Sep 22, 2015 7:33 AM

Aug 2013
PeripheralVision said:
Spooks_McBones said:

Yeah but schools have been doing that kind of shit for years I remember in the 90's of reading articles where kids brought in home made fake guns that look like shit or crossbows made of bits of wood and got the same treatment. now a days kids use real guns and bombs so surprised the punishments haven't actually escalated.

I honestly do think tis case had nothing to do with racism this time and really was just because the teachers were paranoid and the kid really made a clock that looked like a bomb. Shit these days I'd find the idea of it been a bomb more probably than some kid just happened to build a clock (who builds a clock now a days) that just happened to look like a bomb. Of course everyone makes this about race but damn its an easy mistake to make these days.

If I were a Muslim guy I wouldn't walk around with a heavy bag filled with computer bits I'd built into an art project that happens to look like a bomb then act surprised when im arrested for forgetting it near a bin by a bus stop. It really would look suspicious. Just like any white kid in a trench coat carrying around his dads gun would be arrested even if he was just taking it to be cleaned.
SpooksSep 22, 2015 7:36 AM
Sep 22, 2015 7:33 AM
Mar 2015
mayukachan said:

lequack said:

Well, I feel bad because it's a big event that they prepared for and worked hard to innovate their ideas. As a fellow hacker.

Well yeah but at least the police was not involved they should just be thankful for that. It sucks but there are always other such events that they could participate in.
Sep 22, 2015 7:34 AM

May 2015
Pathetic decision, tbh.
Sep 22, 2015 8:23 AM

Mar 2013
Spooks_McBones said:
PeripheralVision said:

Yeah but schools have been doing that kind of shit for years I remember in the 90's of reading articles where kids brought in home made fake guns that look like shit or crossbows made of bits of wood and got the same treatment. now a days kids use real guns and bombs so surprised the punishments haven't actually escalated.

I honestly do think tis case had nothing to do with racism this time and really was just because the teachers were paranoid and the kid really made a clock that looked like a bomb. Shit these days I'd find the idea of it been a bomb more probably than some kid just happened to build a clock (who builds a clock now a days) that just happened to look like a bomb. Of course everyone makes this about race but damn its an easy mistake to make these days.

If I were a Muslim guy I wouldn't walk around with a heavy bag filled with computer bits I'd built into an art project that happens to look like a bomb then act surprised when im arrested for forgetting it near a bin by a bus stop. It really would look suspicious. Just like any white kid in a trench coat carrying around his dads gun would be arrested even if he was just taking it to be cleaned.

I agree to an extent, and I believe the clock was taken out of it's case and put into a box. What I don't agree was the punishment. I don't think race is that big a contributing factor to it, it's the over zealousness of the schools to play by the books. Why I did something similar to this kid and no bats an eye. (I took my disassembled computer to school.)
PeripheralVisionSep 22, 2015 8:28 AM
Sep 22, 2015 8:26 AM

Oct 2013
Spooks_McBones said:
PeripheralVision said:

Just because you're right, doesn't mean you're correct.
"There's no shame in falling down... true shame is to not stand up again!"

"Aah? Of course I won't miss!"

"My blood tastes like Iron."

"Run through the tape in life! Never give up! Run through the tape!"
Sep 22, 2015 8:33 AM

Feb 2015
Spooks_McBones said:

^^

Sep 22, 2015 8:37 AM

Jun 2008
mayukachan said:
Scavrefamn said:

Because feminist are quite largely involved in spreading all this oversensitive political correct bullshit mentality.
Sep 22, 2015 8:39 AM

Jul 2012
Monad said:
mayukachan said:

Because feminist are quite largely involved in spreading all this oversensitive political correct bullshit mentality.

The idea of feminism has nothing to do with racism, that's the thing. Maybe "SJW"s but yeah.
Sep 22, 2015 8:40 AM

Mar 2013
mayukachan said:
Monad said:

The idea of feminism has nothing to do with racism, that's the thing. Maybe "SJW"s but yeah.

I think he meant radical liberals, which are comprised of quite a number of feminists.
Sep 22, 2015 8:48 AM

Aug 2012
i guess it was just time for them to leave, right guys???
Sep 22, 2015 8:57 AM

Mar 2013
HighKing77 said:
Afshar said:

I thought it was good. I exploded with laughter. :/
Sep 22, 2015 8:58 AM

Dec 2013
HighKing77 said:
Afshar said:

Sep 22, 2015 8:59 AM

Feb 2015
Astros said:
HighKing77 said:

Sep 22, 2015 9:02 AM

Jan 2014
Scavrefamn said:
Something something smash the patriarchy something something male privilege.

In respect to the actual discussion, I think the organizers did the right thing. Yes, these are jokes that refer to the kid that got arrested for his bomb like clock but the thing is we've had so many potential threats made towards large gatherings that if the organizers didn't take these seriously and something did happen, they would be on the hook for everything. If it was a harmless joke like making fun of the word dongle, I would see this being overkill but joking about having a bomb at an event should be taken seriously. Fucking complicated issue though.
ThrashMattoSep 22, 2015 9:16 AM
I love Christine

"If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours. He will put some things behind, will pass an invisible boundary; In proportion as he simplifies his life, the laws of the universe will appear less complex, and solitude will not be solitude, nor poverty poverty, nor weakness weakness." - Henry David Thoreau

Sep 22, 2015 9:06 AM

Apr 2011
There's jokes that are inappropriate, but still funny. That joke wasn't even funny, and it's just a joke you don't make anymore. Terrorism is too real of a threat these days. People should be smart enough to just not joke about that stuff.

Do you go up to a girl in an alley and say "I'm going to rape you!"..... JK ? No, of course you don't, because that is too real of a threat to be saying it as a "joke". Also remember the admins on that site really can't allow people to say that stuff, it could come back and hurt them and their site.

It's just stupid. It's like that kid who got arrested for saying in a very serious way that he was going to shoot people at his school. He said he was saying it sarcastically and as a joke, but it doesn't fucking matter. No one thinks it's funny, and people get scared by the possibility of those threats being real.

Basically, these aren't jokes....they're fake threats.
Sep 22, 2015 9:17 AM

Aug 2013
I assassinated JFK

Sep 22, 2015 9:20 AM

Jul 2012
Afshar said:

i feel bad because i snorted to this

Fintan said:
Do you go up to a girl in an alley and say "I'm going to rape you!"..... JK ? No, of course you don't, because that is too real of a threat to be saying it as a "joke". Also remember the admins on that site really can't allow people to say that stuff, it could come back and hurt them and their site.

some people in this thread think rape is funny sadly ;-;
Sep 22, 2015 9:22 AM

May 2014
Spooks_McBones said:
I assassinated JFK

Ftfy
I've been here way too long...
Sep 22, 2015 9:26 AM

Dec 2013
Spooks_McBones said:
I assassinated JFK

Sep 22, 2015 9:27 AM

Jan 2014
Astros said:
Spooks_McBones said:
I assassinated JFK

Well, laughing at that just got me a lot awkward looks at work
I love Christine

"If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours. He will put some things behind, will pass an invisible boundary; In proportion as he simplifies his life, the laws of the universe will appear less complex, and solitude will not be solitude, nor poverty poverty, nor weakness weakness." - Henry David Thoreau

Sep 22, 2015 9:28 AM

Mar 2013
mayukachan said:
Afshar said:

Fintan said:

I think some rape humor is funny. Does that make me less of a person?

Also, saying "x is not funny" is obnoxious. You're basically saying it as a true statement when it's really an opinion. :/
Sep 22, 2015 9:31 AM

Dec 2013
ThrashMatto said:
Well, laughing at that just got me a lot awkward looks at work
You're welcome. =)
Sep 22, 2015 3:42 PM
Jul 2018
Overboard but it can't be helped.
Sep 22, 2015 4:22 PM

Jul 2015
Well hackathon wouldn't want to be associated with bomb building so I could see why.
Sep 22, 2015 4:26 PM

Apr 2012
Probably referencing Ahmed Mohamed. Joke or not, comments like this should be taken at face value because well people could die.

Sep 22, 2015 4:33 PM

Apr 2011
PeripheralVision said:
mayukachan said:

I think some rape humor is funny. Does that make me less of a person?

Also, saying "x is not funny" is obnoxious. You're basically saying it as a true statement when it's really an opinion. :/

No, it depends on the context.... Which is why I gave a context, rather then just saying rape jokes are not funny ever. "jokes" like the one this thread references is in a context where there's very little humor, it's just saying something as a false threat as I mentioned.
Sep 22, 2015 4:34 PM

Mar 2008
Watch them not get any whitehouse invites and shit like that.
Sep 22, 2015 4:39 PM

Jun 2015
srsly?
seriously?
The got kicked out over a joke?
On facebook?
SERIOUSLY?
Sep 23, 2015 5:21 AM

Jun 2008
mayukachan said:
Monad said:

Racism? O_o WTF?
Sep 23, 2015 8:45 AM

Jul 2012
Monad said:
mayukachan said:

Racism? O_o WTF?
the bomb case is a form of racism
Sep 23, 2015 9:10 AM

Nov 2014
mayukachan said:

Second-wave feminists excluded race from their talks and activism because they were concerned primarily with helping middle class white women gain equal footing with white men. Today, there's a branch of third-wave (modern) feminism called 'intersectionalism' that focuses on helping women from all races and backgrounds. There are some very vocal SJW/fainting couch feminists in these circles, but they don't comprise the entire movement.
Sep 23, 2015 4:29 PM

Jan 2014
Who would want to blow up a hackathon? Then again, there was that one guy who tried to gas a furry convention.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Sep 23, 2015 4:33 PM

Jan 2014
RedRoseFring said:
Who would want to blow up a hackathon? Then again, there was that one guy who tried to gas a furry convention.
And the guys who wanted to shoot up that pokemon thing.
I love Christine

Sep 23, 2015 5:58 PM
Jul 2015
People are crazy.

More topics from this board

» Fill this thread with the most questionable statement or two you can think of!

IAmOdie - Apr 20

39 by Zarutaku »»
7 seconds ago

» Planning a Spain Trip

redlockhigh - Apr 8

20 by LightWorker »»
14 minutes ago

Poll: » Are you mentally ill?

Ejrodiew - 46 minutes ago

3 by LightWorker »»
27 minutes ago

» Why should we have sympathy for drug addicts? ( 1 2 )

HarryRambod22 - Feb 10, 2022

67 by 88expert »»
2 hours ago

» Is English your native language? ( 1 2 )

DesuMaiden - Apr 16

67 by vasipi4946 »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.