Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Sep 20, 2015 4:25 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Jakerams said:
NHK season 3 announcement please. Or just adapt the full manga series.

Yes please, that would be great. This was yet another great season, I just love watching Ei-chan grow. I haven't been up to date with the scanlations, so I guess I could go do that for now. I like the way they ended this season though, showing the people Ei-chan is following footsteps of. It's awesome that Ike played in the Grand Slam against the number one player, I was almost expecting Federer or something as the opponent (or Djokovic) :P I would like to see season three next spring...pleeeeeease NHK.

Also shout-out to Kageyama, such a supportive friend who calls Ei-chan to ask how the match went.
Sep 20, 2015 4:34 PM
Jun 2015
Still can't believe how realistic and grounded this is for a shounen sports series. Really hope we get a season 3.
Sep 20, 2015 7:55 PM

Jan 2011
Season 3 please.
Sep 20, 2015 8:01 PM

Jul 2008
A season 3 is required. lol
Sep 20, 2015 8:25 PM
Aug 2013
I was expecting Maruo to win, but I'm glad it ended in a realistic way. This was such a great season, and I was even able to get into tennis in real life! I do hope we get a season 3, or I'll pray the manga starts being sold in the US to buy it.
Sep 20, 2015 8:52 PM

Jul 2013
I think this season got downhill really fast after the Kanto junior arc mostly because the characters suddenly became really annoying. Maruo started second guessing himself too much that he almost always ended up shooting himself up in the foot.

I like smart characters like Log Horizon's Shiroe or Nabae but while they had moments of doubts, they never overthought stuffs like Maruo always did. They always came to conclusion in a swift logical manner unlike Maruo who sometimes took too long (or rather very roundabout ways) to reach a simple conclusion. The match against Ide and Takagi were dragged on too much because of this, which brings me to his opponents. One is a stereotypical idiot who feels instead of think and the other is a grade A douche bag. A far cry from the intense yet skilled Araya or the elegant yet technical Miyagawa. Never has been in this entire series that the opponents personalities prevented me from enjoying the match until those two came along.

That being said the first half of this season was fantastic just like the last. The Florida and Kanagawa arc were at least enjoyable. Shame it couldn't last. Still, the fact that this anime is still more realistic than 99% of sports anime out there instantly made this one of, if not the best of its genre.

7/10
Sep 20, 2015 9:27 PM

Jul 2015
Sep 21, 2015 2:54 AM

Aug 2013
evenlaist said:
does anyone know whether the anime follow the manga or not?
if it does, which chapter should i read next for continuation?

as for the episode, it kinda sad that Maruo lost because he is playing aggressively thus making some mistakes. i know that he is going to lose, but i thought he would only lost after fully utilizing his 1/100 control.

This episode starts at chapter 177 so it should be a few chapters ahead of that. I haven't read the chapters for this episode yet but I've been reading for the whole of this season and it's been a very close adaptation. Only small details are sometimes different. Edit: start from chapter 181.

And perfect 1/100 control is basically being able to hit just within the lines every time (with any pace). If he could do that he'd be one of the top pros and definitely beat Nabae.
ittou_shuraSep 21, 2015 5:21 AM
Sep 21, 2015 3:52 AM

Mar 2012
Shame this season is over already. Easily my favorite show for the year thus far (though Haikyuu already looks to threaten that crown).

Maruo's growth has been simply marvelous to watch. I love how his mind is constantly roaming for ideas and how he tests new things in big matches. The best part about that is that he understands that failure is only a natural part of the whole testing process. Makes it all the more gratifying once he successfully can use those new techniques consistently.

Overall, this series does everything I want and then some for a sports series. My only gripe now is that there was no season 3 announcement at the end. D: Hope for an announcement soon sometime in the near future.

tingy said:

It's awesome that Ike played in the Grand Slam against the number one player, I was almost expecting Federer or something as the opponent (or Djokovic) :P

I was mildly disappointed Fed or Djoker wasn't the top player in the world. Should've called the dude something like Rodge Federr or Noland Jokier, haha. XD
AceDvazzSep 21, 2015 3:57 AM
Sep 21, 2015 5:42 AM

Aug 2013
Damn, if you're an anime-only watcher you should read chapter 181 because they changed some events. This makes me think they are not planning on doing a 3rd season, with the way they ended this episode. I really hope I'm wrong, though. After all, the All-Japan Junior has been talked about for over 30 episodes there's no way they would stop it before that.
Sep 21, 2015 8:56 AM

Sep 2014
Ending did NOT disappoint. I'm glad that Maruo lost. It's obvious just how much he improved seeing how close he was to beating Nabae. I loved this season even more than the first. 9/10

Hope S3 comes soon!
Sep 21, 2015 3:16 PM

Jun 2013
bummer he lost damn it's over 3rd season fucking when
Sep 21, 2015 7:08 PM

Jan 2011
See you Next time?! Please?!

with kuroko done Baby Steps is the only sports show i enjoy a lot and i need more of it in my life !

8/10 for this season
Sep 22, 2015 4:38 AM

Jan 2015
rasenshiruken973 said:
Damn, if you're an anime-only watcher you should read chapter 181 because they changed some events. This makes me think they are not planning on doing a 3rd season, with the way they ended this episode. I really hope I'm wrong, though. After all, the All-Japan Junior has been talked about for over 30 episodes there's no way they would stop it before that.

I didn't read the manga, but I'd like to think that if they planned on stopping now, they would have made Maruo win against Nabae and a timejump to him being a pro.
For now, I'll wait for a season 3 annoncement, hopefully soon. :)
Sep 22, 2015 10:39 AM

Aug 2014
GSupernova said:
I can't believe Maruo lost again to a ref call on the wire. Nothing ever goes his way, haha.

Also, does it bother anyone else that Maruo never watches any of Natsu's games(even when she's in the finals?). He's kinda a bad boyfriend...

He does go to her match in the manga they also skipped some other content to end things neatly this eps and to give a more final feel then was give in the manga. Which probably means we will not be getting S3
Sep 22, 2015 5:55 PM

Jan 2011
The most important thing to remember is that this is an NHK series, that means that like some of their other series (Chihayafuru, Log Horizon, Uchuu Kyoudai), the decision on whether to produce another cour or double-cour is not driven by commercial considerations (although I'm sure it doesn't hurt the value of their original source material as the manga and LN they're based on are doing very well thank you). What's more important is their mandate as a public broadcaster and Baby Steps fits into that mould. It's a positive uplifting story with a cute g/pg romance and nothing likely to brew controversy (witness how they've nerfed some of the sexual themes in Log Horizon to make it fit). More important is probably what they've already committed to for the limited number of anime spots in their broadcast schedule. I'd love another series of Baby Steps right away, but I'd also like to see the next cour or two of the three other shows I've mentioned. For Baby Steps I doubt if a slot will open until late 2016 or early 2017 so we'll have to be patient.
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Sep 23, 2015 2:04 AM

Feb 2013
Nabae understood in that last hit that the next time he plays against Ei-chan, he's going to lose if he remains stuck in that style. Amazing ending, amazing second season overall. Enjoyed this as much as the first. Hopefully third season is coming soon.

Sep 23, 2015 2:34 AM

Jul 2015
9/10 this season for all the developments!

I need to see Maruo in the pro scene! s3 please!

Sep 23, 2015 8:46 AM

Jul 2014
Lol season 3 is only a matter of time, NHK never stops a show halfway.
How do I signature?
Sep 23, 2015 5:15 PM

Oct 2011
Season 3 Please !!!!
Sep 24, 2015 1:59 AM

Mar 2009
rodac said:
The most important thing to remember is that this is an NHK series, that means that like some of their other series (Chihayafuru, Log Horizon, Uchuu Kyoudai), the decision on whether to produce another cour or double-cour is not driven by commercial considerations (although I'm sure it doesn't hurt the value of their original source material as the manga and LN they're based on are doing very well thank you). What's more important is their mandate as a public broadcaster and Baby Steps fits into that mould. It's a positive uplifting story with a cute g/pg romance and nothing likely to brew controversy (witness how they've nerfed some of the sexual themes in Log Horizon to make it fit). More important is probably what they've already committed to for the limited number of anime spots in their broadcast schedule. I'd love another series of Baby Steps right away, but I'd also like to see the next cour or two of the three other shows I've mentioned. For Baby Steps I doubt if a slot will open until late 2016 or early 2017 so we'll have to be patient.

I'm still waiting for Uchuu Kyoudai to return. Come on, NHK. :(

Gotta say, most inspirational sports series since Ippo. I'm not a huge fan of tennis, but I've got nothing but respect for Baby Steps, based on how realistic it is(no Prince of Tennis bullshit) and for how inspirational Maruo is. He's a smart, hard-working kid with a great attitude. I really wanted to see him win here. It's too bad it didn't happen.

For the most part, I'd say I enjoyed this season over the first one, thanks to Maruo and Nat-chan's relationship. It's a rare treat that we actually get a relationship in a series nowadays.

It's a shame we didn't get a 3rd season, but I guess it would have been too much to ask for. Hell, we were lucky enough to get a 2nd season in the first place. It's just with the recent announcement for Kyoukai no Rinne, I was hoping NHK would be nice enough to grant Baby Steps another season. Oh, well. Great show. I'm going to miss it!
Sep 25, 2015 5:14 PM

Sep 2013
evenlaist said:
does anyone know whether the anime follow the manga or not?
if it does, which chapter should i read next for continuation?

as for the episode, it kinda sad that Maruo lost because he is playing aggressively thus making some mistakes. i know that he is going to lose, but i thought he would only lost after fully utilizing his 1/100 control.

Start from ch. 181
Sep 25, 2015 11:06 PM

Nov 2014
I got used to Mauro losing, it isn't bad result tho.
I like how everything in the anime feels real, I certainly enjoyed this season as well.

8/10
Sep 26, 2015 8:22 AM

Oct 2009
We can create a topic in change.org to ask for a new season =)
Sep 27, 2015 12:39 AM

Aug 2013
Great ending to the second season. I'll give this an 8/10 just because I enjoyed even more than the first season.

Now I'm just patiently waiting for the third season.(if not then manga it is)
Sep 27, 2015 9:19 AM

Aug 2014
I am having withdraws... I have gotten so used to watching Baby Steps to start off my Sunday mornings over the past 6 months that now I have nothing to get the day started. Thank goodness for football.
Sep 27, 2015 3:37 PM

Jul 2007
I didn't enjoy this season as much as first one but it wans't bad either. to be honest my bigest problem with this show is how TERRIBLY the animation is... And it's a shame because I think it has much more potential. The studio didn't better job with the OP than the actual episodes.... Animation aside though the story progressed smoothly and I Didn't expect Natsu and Maruo to end together so soon. o/ I would defintely watch a third season ~
Sep 27, 2015 6:01 PM

Nov 2012
I got super into this episode for some reason. When Maruo lost I actually screamed out of anger. Good episode! I kinda expected Maruo to loose, but it was an exciting battle either way ^.^

Hopefully there'll be a S3! They made a good ending for one, and there's enough material. Hope there's going to be an announcement!

Sep 27, 2015 6:39 PM
Feb 2014
9/10, s02 > s01

not too worried about s03, even bakuman must wait a year between series..so what'll replace this anime next season? recent nhk anime is very good, ronya, log horizon , baby steps
Sep 27, 2015 11:14 PM

Jul 2011
I think a S3 is needed for Baby Steps once there's more manga material. I really want to see his run at the All-Japan Junior which hasn't happen in the manga yet either. >_<

Loved it, but I spoiled myself since I read the manga after S1 (loved it so much). The last episode this season had some fabulous animation. Nabae and Maruo actually moved quite a bit to reach and serve the ball. Several angles too. :DD
Sep 28, 2015 8:26 PM

Aug 2014
Mirorin said:
I think a S3 is needed for Baby Steps once there's more manga material. I really want to see his run at the All-Japan Junior which hasn't happen in the manga yet either. >_<

That arc has ended in the manga the raws are way ahead of the what been translated and the translations have slowed down to a crawl for a while now. Translated is around a 100 plus chapters behind
Oct 5, 2015 10:56 PM

Jul 2012
Wow, fuck, I'm crying right now. All his efforts and growth but he still lost. This series is definitely one of the most realistic in sports animanga.

Overall, I wasn't too into this season. There were too many matches and not enough down time. A sports anime needs a balance between intense matches and non-sports moments where it's more about character bonding. Whilst this season started off at a good point (training in America), the rest of it was too hard to get into. I had to take breaks between each game.

I'm guessing Alex will be the final boss for Ei-chan in the end. Then the series will end with him and Nat-chan getting married and having tons of tennis babus ;)

I'll wait a while for the S3 announcement but I recently downloaded the manga onto my tablet so I might just start reading them instead.

7/10
Oct 7, 2015 4:15 PM

Jan 2013
He lost... but he gave everything so it was a good fight. There will be a season 3 for sure "just believe in yourself!"
Nov 18, 2015 11:00 AM
May 2011
was pretty obvious he wasn't going to win, even in the manga.

he doesn't win unless he needs to do it to keep playing tennis.
Nov 23, 2015 1:26 PM

Feb 2010
Season 3 plox T_T

Dec 21, 2015 1:37 AM

Apr 2014
rodac said:
This is a good post.

Back to the anime itself, I was initially disappointed when it became clear S2 wasn't going to be able to fit in any of the All Japan Junior, but that was rather silly of me. No way there was room for it.

Anways, amazing season. Really left us on a high note. He lost but only the battle, not the war, and he's a clearer picture and idea how to get what he wants.

9/10
Dec 22, 2015 8:58 AM

Dec 2014
Tch, finally completed this series.

Oh well.
Jan 8, 2016 4:22 AM

Apr 2014
the zone... now i already afraid of it for the next season i hope it could keep at least realism beliveable as possible. overall great sport series 8/10
Jan 23, 2016 10:11 AM

Jul 2007
I loved the first season and this season is no different. This is a really great show with likeable characters, great sports action, and even a few humorous scenes thrown in.

My one complaint from the first season was that there wasn't enough focus on Natsu. I still feel that way.

The other frustrating thing about this series is that Maruo really doesn't make me believe he cares about Natsu. He rarely goes and watches her matches (despite other characters dropping tons of hints) and she is the one who always approaches him. Those nights when they were at the hotel, each time it was Natsu who approached. I just want some scenes where Maruo shows he cares...that will make the relationship a lot more believable.

That being said every scene with Natsu in it is really good, it's just unfortunate we know so little about her.

It's for these reasons this show went to an 8/10. Still a really great show though. Hoping for season 3!!
Mar 4, 2016 5:20 AM

Aug 2013
Too bad Ei-chan lost.. his parents will never watch his game LOL.
Why isn't there a season 3 ?!!! Ah well off to the manga now.
So much for the long awaited date hahahah.
Mar 29, 2016 4:07 AM
Dec 2015
amazing finale!! really hoping for a season 3! They can continue this story alot and maybe even show him playing pro matches against ike, takuma, alex etc! but i may just have a naive opinion since im a fan! haha
But manga still ongoing , ratings are amazing and season 2 recently finished so chances of season 3 is definetly possible! and thats what im really hoping for!!
Apr 4, 2016 7:22 PM
May 2014
GSupernova said:

Also, does it bother anyone else that Maruo never watches any of Natsu's games(even when she's in the finals?). He's kinda a bad boyfriend...

LOL this. Also anyone notice everytime the random spectators comment on Natsu's games someone always adds "and she's so cute!"
May 8, 2016 11:19 AM

Sep 2013
Any news on there being a season 3 or...? D:
May 13, 2016 1:18 AM

Nov 2010
ShieldedLion said:
Any news on there being a season 3 or...? D:

Nope, still no news.
May 30, 2016 5:19 PM
May 2015
Did Maruo get 3rd or 4th in the end? He would of played the second seed for 3rd place
SoloCreedJun 5, 2016 12:18 PM
Jun 8, 2016 4:18 AM

Dec 2012
Maruo lost T_T, anyway it was an amazing match and they deserved to win.

I really hope that a new season will be announced because I love this anime ! I want to see more date between Maruo and Natsu ><
Aug 14, 2016 10:29 AM

Aug 2016
I cant wait till season 3 *~* plz make another season ! it wd be a great hit im sure *~*
Aug 19, 2016 11:00 PM

Nov 2014
Awww it sucks he lost, he got super close though
Hi there
Oct 3, 2016 5:17 AM

Aug 2012
Low expectation but I didn't expect It to be great.

Hoping for season 3, I want to see how far will maruo can go.

9/10
Dec 20, 2016 5:52 PM

Apr 2014
Necro-reply. xD
eso18 said:
After I finished the episode I realized that the biggest spoiler that Ei-chan will lose was the number of episodes as there was no time for full last match for championship. :)

Haikyuu!! 2 and Days have proven that they can and will end in the middle of a championship/tournament now. (I can't recall if any others have done a similar thing...)

It's been a while and still no season 3. So screw it. While waiting, I've finally learned the important lesson that picking up the manga to an anime you want more of is actually a very smart thing to do. I'm going to read the manga. xD
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Baby Steps 2nd Season Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 16, 2015

51 by GakutoDeathGlare »»
Sep 13, 2023 4:27 PM

Poll: » Baby Steps 2nd Season Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 14, 2015

36 by GakutoDeathGlare »»
Sep 12, 2023 4:37 AM

Poll: » Baby Steps 2nd Season Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 7, 2015

33 by GakutoDeathGlare »»
Sep 12, 2023 4:01 AM

Poll: » Baby Steps 2nd Season Episode 5 Discussion

Stark700 - May 3, 2015

48 by ImmuneDark3 »»
Jun 21, 2022 5:30 AM

Poll: » Baby Steps 2nd Season Episode 21 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 23, 2015

33 by tinker3bellz1 »»
May 19, 2022 6:17 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.