Forum Settings
Forums

Does the ''power of friendship'' ruins an anime for you?

New
Do the power of friendship ruins anime for you?
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Sep 20, 2015 7:37 AM
Sep 2015
I dont mind it in one piece. But they kinda didn't get it right in fairy tail...
Sep 20, 2015 7:46 AM

Sep 2015
FireEmblemIke24 said:
Skraggy said:
It's good only when it's done right like in One Piece

Yes the scene with Usopp was powerfull and done right
Sep 20, 2015 7:54 AM

Jun 2015
Fapinou said:
Kruzy said:
Only if it's overused.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 20, 2015 8:04 AM

Mar 2012
The biggest controversy of 2014 was that HxH did not use power of friendship when people expected it and that threw off and upset many shonen fans (why watch hxh in the first place).
As you pointed out, Gon did something unconventional and selfish and that's not something they seemed to like.

So shonen fans love that shit but more objective fans loathe it.
End Zionazism
Sep 20, 2015 12:59 PM

Oct 2014
Mikasa said:
The biggest controversy of 2014 was that HxH did not use power of friendship when people expected it and that threw off and upset many shonen fans (why watch hxh in the first place).
As you pointed out, Gon did something unconventional and selfish and that's not something they seemed to like.

It really depends on how you define a "friendship powerup". If we're citing Fairy Tail as the main reference (as every does and should) I don't think HxH really had any friendship powerups. What Gon did to Pitou wasn't a friendship powerup, as what he did had a perfectly valid reason that had existed within the series since Yorknew. Furthermore, Shoot's friendship-based confidence boost made him weaker, not stronger. However, if we don't use Fairy Tail as the main reference and simply look at the power of friendship for what it is, then Hunter x Hunter definitely does have it, as Gon was able to use the power of friendship to transform Killua from an amoral asshole to an upstanding older brother figure.
There are actually a couple moments where I do think that Hunter x Hunter would've been better off with a Fairy Tail-style friendship powerup (HERESY!). The best example of this is when Killua pulled that needle out of his head and proceeded to kill that annoying rabbit fucker. The problem is that Illumi's needle completely absolves Killua of all his past crimes, and essentially makes innocent of everything. In other words, Killua got white-washed. I would've easily preferred a friendship powerup to that bullshit.
Horatio_NelsonSep 20, 2015 1:03 PM
What Kabaneri Did Wrong:
- Edgelord protagonist
- Special snowflake girlfriend
- Giving humans powers
- Failing to create a unique/memorable setting

What Kabaneri Did Right:
Sep 20, 2015 1:05 PM

Dec 2012
No, it doesn't bother me.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Sep 20, 2015 1:30 PM

Aug 2014
Grey-Zone said:
15poundfish said:
I like power of friendship when the characters come together to defeat a strong opponent with strategy and tactics. The cliche I would like to see go away more is when the protagonist is severely injured and on his last leg and suddenly becomes overpowered and destroys the villain.

Well, if the protagonist's power or fighting style is established to rely on his concentration, then it makes sense, since less distracting thoughts = better results. Same where "power of friendship" or something similar is established to be a real thing, like Spiral Power in TTGL.

Yeah it worked great in lagann.

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
Sep 20, 2015 1:41 PM
Oct 2013
black1blade said:

Because Lagann is big and flashy with delicious music and cheesy oneliners.
TTGL is like the 80´s Movie of Anime, where people conveniently die for drama purpose while the main hero dodges all the bullets.But it´s just awesome to watch and listen too. People who like it know it´s faults but they love it for them, without the need to rewatch it 7 times to maybe understand it.

Honestly if FT had the same budget and pacing as TTGL it would receive the same praise. Imagine Simon fightning Mechas for 100+ episodes powering up every time, then after 100+ episodes timeskip for another 100+ episodes of mecha fightning, with literally the same ending.
IsterioSep 20, 2015 1:45 PM
Sep 20, 2015 1:43 PM

Sep 2014
It doesn't bother me, not really. I actually found it sorta cool the few times I have seen that - but then again, I haven't really watched much shounen yet, so it's not that overused to me.
Sep 20, 2015 1:43 PM

Mar 2014
Enemy ship is magic
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Sep 20, 2015 1:46 PM

Mar 2012
Horatio_Nelson said:
Mikasa said:

It really depends on how you define a "friendship powerup". If we're citing Fairy Tail as the main reference (as every does and should) I don't think HxH really had any friendship powerups. What Gon did to Pitou wasn't a friendship powerup, as what he did had a perfectly valid reason that had existed within the series since Yorknew. Furthermore, Shoot's friendship-based confidence boost made him weaker, not stronger. However, if we don't use Fairy Tail as the main reference and simply look at the power of friendship for what it is, then Hunter x Hunter definitely does have it, as Gon was able to use the power of friendship to transform Killua from an amoral asshole to an upstanding older brother figure.
There are actually a couple moments where I do think that Hunter x Hunter would've been better off with a Fairy Tail-style friendship powerup (HERESY!). The best example of this is when Killua pulled that needle out of his head and proceeded to kill that annoying rabbit fucker. The problem is that Illumi's needle completely absolves Killua of all his past crimes, and essentially makes innocent of everything. In other words, Killua got white-washed. I would've easily preferred a friendship powerup to that bullshit.

Killua got absolved of his crimes in episode 20. We see him commit a pointless kill in ep. 7, and then we realize his upbringing is to blame.

The whole story of killua is that he would never kill of his own accord.
He killed 0 humans of choice long before Rammot. His whole dilemma is that he no longer has to kill, because that's not what he wanted but what his family drilled into him. That's why he helped prevent Kurapika from killing Chrollo and why he faile to kill Palm.
End Zionazism
Sep 20, 2015 1:46 PM

Oct 2014
Isterio said:
black1blade said:

Because Lagann is big and flashy with delicious music and cheesy oneliners.
TTGL is like the 80´s Movie of Anime, where people conveniently die for drama purpose while the main hero dodges all the bullets.

But it´s just awesome to watch and listen too. People who like it know it´s faults but they love it for them, without the need to rewatch it 7 times to maybe understand it.

Honestly if FT had the same budget and pacing as TTGL it would receive the same praise.

In case of TTGL the creators were probably aware of it to begin with and didn't try to "sugar coat" it but instead just went with it. That "honesty" is what make people accept it, compared to series where the creators do their hardest to "hide" the obvious flaws, which only makes it much more worse than it would have been.
Sep 20, 2015 2:39 PM

May 2015
Lancehot said:
TheBrainintheJar said:
The Power of Love is even worse.

But it's a force from above that cleans your soul!

Tell that to deformed people.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Sep 20, 2015 2:48 PM

Oct 2014
Mikasa said:
Horatio_Nelson said:

Killua got absolved of his crimes in episode 20. We see him commit a pointless kill in ep. 7, and then we realize his upbringing is to blame.

The whole story of killua is that he would never kill of his own accord.
He killed 0 humans of choice long before Rammot. His whole dilemma is that he no longer has to kill, because that's not what he wanted but what his family drilled into him. That's why he helped prevent Kurapika from killing Chrollo and why he faile to kill Palm.

Killua failed to kill Palm because Palm was way stronger than him and had an ability that completely nullified his own.
As for Killua's crimes, you're missing my point. No character, including Killua, should be absolved of all their sins simply with the excuse of literal mind-control, especially when that mind-control was completely unnecessary to the plot (Killua could just as easily been controlled by Illumi because he's a flawed human being who can be influenced by close family members). That's just lazy writing, and I say that as someone who thinks that Hunter x Hunter is the greatest anime/manga of all time.
What Kabaneri Did Wrong:
- Edgelord protagonist
- Giving humans powers

What Kabaneri Did Right:
Sep 20, 2015 2:52 PM

Oct 2014
Lancehot said:
TheBrainintheJar said:
The Power of Love is even worse.

Tell that to the divorced breadwinners who have to pay alimony and child support for the rest of their lives.

TheBrainintheJar said:
Lancehot said:

Tell that to deformed people.

Lol. That works too.
What Kabaneri Did Wrong:
- Edgelord protagonist
- Giving humans powers

What Kabaneri Did Right:
Sep 20, 2015 2:58 PM

Mar 2012
Regardless of his ability, the fight ended when he broke down because he couldn't do it.

He was absolved due to psychological control long before "physical" control.

Besides, he was never absolved as you suggest. Neither was he controlled as some sort of "zombie" as you suggest. The needle, and the nen (which was already there, we already knew it was nen just not the exact tool) simply induced fear and doubt. The needle simply insured his survival by inducing fear when there is doubt facing an opponent.

He wasn't absolved, he explains that when he and Gon let Genthru go simply because Killua killed more people who were less prepared. Gon simply does not care about good and evil which has been stated over and over. He only got annoyed at Nobu because he was being a hypocrite.

The needle itself did not strictly make him do the killing. That was another figurative needle drilled into his head
End Zionazism
Sep 20, 2015 3:09 PM

Dec 2014
I like friendships and being behind your friends, sue me.
Sep 20, 2015 3:19 PM

Oct 2014
Mikasa said:
Regardless of his ability, the fight ended when he broke down because he couldn't do it.

Besides, he was never absolved as you suggest. Neither was he controlled as some sort of "zombie" as you suggest. The needle, and the nen (which was already there, we already knew it was nen just not the exact tool) simply induced fear and doubt. The needle simply insured his survival by inducing fear when there is doubt facing an opponent.

He wasn't absolved, he explains that when he and Gon let Genthru go simply because Killua killed more people who were less prepared. Gon simply does not care about good and evil which has been stated over and over. He only got annoyed at Nobu because he was being a hypocrite.

The needle itself did not strictly make him do the killing. That was another figurative needle drilled into his head

This is getting off-topic, but who cares?
The fight ended when he TnJ'd Palm into becoming a good person. Not that I mind, it was a good scene and TnJ in and of itself isn't bad.
Yes, the needle isn't what directly made him do the killing, but it did encourage the behaviour that led to it and surrounded it. The point is that when it came to Killua's problems, Killua was never to blame. Whenever Gon or Kurapika or Leorio make a mistake or do something wrong, its always their fault and they always have to own up to it. With Killua, its all Illumi's fault, directly or indirectly. Even worse, its the fault of Illumi's Nen. Few things are worse in fantasy than magic-based character development, because nobody on the planet can relate to it. Many of us can relate to Gon, because many of us know what its like to be competitive and/or have an estranged father. Many of us can relate to Kurapika, because many of us know what its like to be so angry and/or so determined to achieve a goal, but always be frustrated by the fact that its always out of reach. Many of us can relate to Leorio, because many of us know what its like to be a failure of a human being. But who can relate to Killua, a kid that gets all of the perks of being a badass assassin but none of the negatives, a kid who has the best friend in the world, a kid who's problems can all be blamed on a magic curse cast upon him by his manipulative older brother?
Killua is a wish-fulfillment character, plain and simple. Just because he's somewhat well developed and has an awesome personality doesn't change that fact. And once again, I say that as someone who thinks that Hunter x Hunter is the greatest anime/manga of all time.
What Kabaneri Did Wrong:
- Edgelord protagonist
- Giving humans powers

What Kabaneri Did Right:
Sep 20, 2015 3:21 PM

Jun 2015
Only One Piece does it right, Fairy Tail goes overboard.
Read Toriko!
Sep 20, 2015 3:44 PM
Aug 2013
peeyaj said:
episode 131 of HxH

How about you?

i like that episode.I do not really care about the alleged power up...
the story is not good so meh i didnt care
Sep 20, 2015 3:56 PM
Dec 2013
Paul said:
I haven't dropped Fairy Tail yet.

That's me as well, and I finished reading Naruto already.
Sep 20, 2015 4:37 PM

Mar 2015
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Sep 20, 2015 4:57 PM

Jun 2008
peeyaj said:
After rewatching the episode 131 of Hunter x Hunter 2011, I came to a conclusion that the power of friendship in anime is a big middle finger on shonen fans.

I grew up watching DBZ and expected that friends will be there for you to help and defeat the villain. Many shonen manga followed suit. Now, O realize that the power of friendship is a weak plot device and ruins the experience to me.

How about you?

Wait! DBZ? That doesn't have much power of friendship really. Is more like the power of shouting lol.
Best example of over bullshiting power of friendship is Fairy Tail.
Sep 20, 2015 5:09 PM
Sep 2011
It works better for magical girl shows because a magical girl's power comes from the heart. In shows like Precure there are strong themes of unity and teamwork. These kinds of shows rarely have the main protagonist as more powerful than her teammates and even then it's not so severe that any character is considered "useless" ala Yamcha.

In a battle shounen it doesn't work as well because of things like training episodes and the main protagonist being faaaaaaaar stronger than any of the other characters.

It can come off as lame having when a show that has a strong emphasis on fighting and struggling to achieve strength just doles it after the usual "Hero gets knocked down, staggers back up and mutters about wanting to save their friends" thing that happens in every battle shounen.

Another reason it works better in magical girl shows instead? Character Development. A typical magical girl show is a coming of age story and the power-ups usually come after a speech that highlights how much the protagonist has matured since they first started out. The power-up is earned through the growth and development of the character, not just by yelling "shut up and let me protect you!"
Sep 20, 2015 5:18 PM

Mar 2015
Is the power of friendship in Fairy Tail really that bad? I haven't watched it, but I heard that it is well explained and it's an actual mechanic in their universe. You can say you don't like that concept, but if that's what it is, it's hardly in asspull territory.
Sep 20, 2015 5:21 PM

Aug 2013
Skraggy said:
It's good only when it's done right like in One Piece
Sep 20, 2015 5:31 PM

Jun 2015
In your typical shounen there're worse things

like I'm so edgy, I'm so pissed off, I have to win this battle, eughghg and magically the MC develops a new ability, deus ex machina appears and saying hello how are u doin' folks and problem solved best anime 11/10
Sep 20, 2015 6:10 PM

Aug 2015
RayAdha said:
If it's being used too much

Makes me cringe
Sep 20, 2015 6:30 PM

Aug 2013
Horatio_Nelson said:
Mikasa said:
[spoiler]Regardless of his ability, the fight ended when he broke down because he couldn't do it.

[/spoiler]
This is getting off-topic, but who cares?
The fight ended when he TnJ'd Palm into becoming a good person. Not that I mind, it was a good scene and TnJ in and of itself isn't bad.
Yes, the needle isn't what directly made him do the killing, but it did encourage the behaviour that led to it and surrounded it. The point is that when it came to Killua's problems, Killua was never to blame. Whenever Gon or Kurapika or Leorio make a mistake or do something wrong, its always their fault and they always have to own up to it. With Killua, its all Illumi's fault, directly or indirectly. Even worse, its the fault of Illumi's Nen. Few things are worse in fantasy than magic-based character development, because nobody on the planet can relate to it. Many of us can relate to Gon, because many of us know what its like to be competitive and/or have an estranged father. Many of us can relate to Kurapika, because many of us know what its like to be so angry and/or so determined to achieve a goal, but always be frustrated by the fact that its always out of reach. Many of us can relate to Leorio, because many of us know what its like to be a failure of a human being. But who can relate to Killua, a kid that gets all of the perks of being a badass assassin but none of the negatives, a kid who has the best friend in the world, a kid who's problems can all be blamed on a magic curse cast upon him by his manipulative older brother?
Killua is a wish-fulfillment character, plain and simple. Just because he's somewhat well developed and has an awesome personality doesn't change that fact. And once again, I say that as someone who thinks that Hunter x Hunter is the greatest anime/manga of all time.
Going to go even more off topic...also spoilers for anyone who hasn't seen HxH...

Well for starters, I simply can't see how the needle implanted encouraged him to kill since it's main purpose was to keep him from engaging in fights with stronger opponents.

I also disagree that Killua never owned up to any of his mistakes while Gon, Kurapika, and Leorio did. In the Chimera Ant arc, it was pretty clear that Killua felt just as guilty about what happened to Kite as Gon did, maybe even more so since he was the one who knocked Gon out and ran away. I think Killua owned up for some of Gon's mistakes more than Gon did LOL. Like basically most of the Election Arc was him cleaning up Gon's mess only to get an "Oh, thanks for saving me" at the end. Also, Killua completely owned up to abandoning Alluka. Even if he had been controlled, he still felt extremely guilty and responsible for what happened to Alluka, even calling himself a completely terrible older brother. So, even if a lot of his problems were caused by Illumi, he still owned up to them.

Also, I don't think Gon is really that great of a friend. He's far too selfish, while Killua is far too self-sacrificial.

LASTLY (I keep editing this lol), some of the other MC's problems can be blamed on one thing too. Kurapika's problems can all be blamed on the Phantom Troupe.

OT: Apparantly not since I loved Fairy Tail.
Lily_Sep 20, 2015 7:02 PM
Sep 20, 2015 6:32 PM
Jul 2018
It's okay in some cases but it does annoy me most of the time.
Sep 20, 2015 6:55 PM

Apr 2012
No, but it can be annoying.
Sep 21, 2015 7:10 AM

May 2015
Lordwen said:
In your typical shounen there're worse things

like I'm so edgy, I'm so pissed off, I have to win this battle, eughghg and magically the MC develops a new ability, deus ex machina appears and saying hello how are u doin' folks and problem solved best anime 11/10

That Deus Ex Machine never appeared in my life.

GOddamn
Sep 21, 2015 8:07 AM

Nov 2009
TripleSRank said:
What we need is an anime that parodies it. We'll have the protagonist and antagonists running around with increasingly absurd numbers of "friends" with which they can power up to defeat opponents. The more friends they have, the stronger they are.

The combat could be mixed up with different strategies, like attacking the followers rather than the opponent (either literally or via rumors and such before face-offs, thus giving smaller but closer knit groups some advantages over larger but more easily swayed ones). As for the themes, you could contrast the necessity of staying popular with the obligation to stay true to one's purpose for pursuing it in the first place.

I'd give it a chance.

Imagine characters from Oregairu or Haganai watching it. ^_^
Sep 21, 2015 8:50 AM
Apr 2013
Yeah it's pretty lame and unoriginal
Sep 21, 2015 9:46 AM

Sep 2014
I think it depends on how it's done, I liked it in Fairy Tale as you can understand you can improve if you're needed by someone or something. This even relates to real life with adrenaline where people have been recorded achieving abnormal feats while in danger; However in some cases like for example in Soul Eater (I know it's not the "power of friendship" but it's virtually the same thing) where:
fI uyo can reda hsit tsnecene enth uoy rdeseev a hhig vfie sa yruo smoeawe rof nivgha a fcduke up idmn eikl einm ;)
Sep 21, 2015 3:10 PM

May 2015
flannan said:
TripleSRank said:
What we need is an anime that parodies it. We'll have the protagonist and antagonists running around with increasingly absurd numbers of "friends" with which they can power up to defeat opponents. The more friends they have, the stronger they are.

The combat could be mixed up with different strategies, like attacking the followers rather than the opponent (either literally or via rumors and such before face-offs, thus giving smaller but closer knit groups some advantages over larger but more easily swayed ones). As for the themes, you could contrast the necessity of staying popular with the obligation to stay true to one's purpose for pursuing it in the first place.

I'd give it a chance.

Imagine characters from Oregairu or Haganai watching it. ^_^

The more Facebook friends you have, the stronger your fireball is!
Aug 10, 2016 6:13 AM
Aug 2016
No, but it still can be cringey as fuck.

What is it with anime and friendship anyway?
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » do you consider hate on your favorites an attack on you personally?

deg - 5 hours ago

15 by Starchaser »»
2 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

169 by Jackson1333 »»
2 minutes ago

» What else would be in your Favorites if you had MAL Supporter? (10 additional slots)

IpreferEcchi - 10 hours ago

6 by Nirinbo »»
3 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men?

Alpha_1_Zero - 2 hours ago

18 by WatchTillTandava »»
3 minutes ago

» Anime you hope will be announced as soon as possible.

Dominusew - 1 hour ago

6 by MedK001 »»
7 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.