Forum Settings
Forums

Is there an anime on your list that you hate, yet you gave a high score?

New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Sep 16, 2015 12:48 AM

Mar 2015
Yeah, No Game No Life. 10/10

Fucking hate the fact it's not going to get a second seasons and only made an adaption for Light Novel sales.

Love the Anime doe.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 16, 2015 1:11 AM

Nov 2011
keragamming said:
TripleSRank said:

Not necessarily. It depends on how you define enjoyment. For example, the sensation of bliss is different from the sensation of catharsis, which is different from general mental stimulation disconnected from emotions, and so on. If you tried to define literally any "desirable" response as "enjoyment", then they might be the same.

However, I find such usage to be needlessly vague and of little use. Even when separated, one's standards and one's taste are very broad categories within which people can have major differences. Maybe I and you both enjoy action sequences, but the specifics of how we prefer the action to relate the story is different. Or maybe only one of us enjoys action sequences, both we both prefer to see them incorporated into the story in the same manner.

Situations like these make differentiating between one's taste and one's standards desirable.

I understand what you're saying. The point I'm making is that when we enjoy something, we should be able to tell why we enjoy it. Giving them break down on why you like the characters, the story ect should be easy since you enjoy it. I believe our emotion is link with our standards. Without your emotion a human could not distinct between good or bad.

Only if you use "enjoy" in an all-encompassing sense. (I don't.)

I can definitely tell someone what I like or dislike about a series, but I'm saying the reason why I like or dislike certain aspects have to do with different types of mental stimulation. If the likability stems from the structure of the story, from piecing together the individual parts of the story into some meaningful whole, or from portraying actions and circumstances in ways that I find appropriate, then I say that the "like" is coming from my standards. However, if the "like" comes from the rush I feel in an action scene, the catharsis I feel after something tragic happens that I can relate to, or from the sense of wonder that worldbuilding can bring, then I say that "like" is coming from my taste.

I think there is an important difference to be made between sensations that relate to structure and those that don't. The former can be discussed more easily than the latter.
TripleSRankSep 16, 2015 1:22 AM
Sep 16, 2015 1:13 AM

Mar 2015
No. I rate anime purely based on what they do for ME. I am a selfish Manipulator.
Sep 16, 2015 1:20 AM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
FloatingIdiot said:
No. I rate anime purely based on what they do for ME. I am a selfish Manipulator.

Good

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Sep 16, 2015 1:26 AM

Apr 2015
Not really, I'm pretty honest with myself. UBW season 2 I could have given a 2/10? But maybe it deserves its 4/10 I gave I'm kind of on the fence tbh.
Brace yourself.

Soon as LotGH 2017 comes out. The anime community is going to become so cancerous you will need to take cover and hide.
Sep 16, 2015 1:27 AM
Jun 2015
skill00matic1 said:
Not really, I'm pretty honest with myself. UBW season 2 I could have given a 2/10? But maybe it deserves its 4/10 I gave I'm kind of on the fence tbh.

Have you read the visual novel?
Sep 16, 2015 3:09 AM
Sep 2014
School Days
Sep 16, 2015 3:49 AM
May 2015
No but there are shows I give high-ish scores too even though they have significant flaws. This happens when a show has problems but still has other stuff about it that leads me to like it. To Aru Majutsu no Index and Railgun fall into this category. With the exception of Railgun S which I rate highly because it is very good, I'd say they are objectively about a 5 or 6, but I lean towards 7-8 because there are strong parts that hold it up (for me at least).
Shameless plugging a review site I help out with: http://www.almostmainstream.net
Sep 16, 2015 3:53 AM
Jun 2015
Fizix said:
No but there are shows I give high-ish scores too even though they have significant flaws. This happens when a show has problems but still has other stuff about it that leads me to like it. To Aru Majutsu no Index and Railgun fall into this category. With the exception of Railgun S which I rate highly because it is very good, I'd say they are objectively about a 5 or 6, but I lean towards 7-8 because there are strong parts that hold it up (for me at least).

I would like to give you a high five.
Sep 16, 2015 7:04 AM

Jul 2013
Yes, usually there are some parts I hate (example : ecchi fanservices) but other parts are well done (ex: dialogues) and I cant give it 5 cuz I really like the latter part.
I also sometimes recommend anime I dislike just cuz cant resist the urge.
toumei_Sep 16, 2015 7:10 AM
Sep 16, 2015 7:06 AM

Nov 2012
I don't like Baccano at all but I gave it an 8 because I can tell while watching that it's great. It just doesn't suit me is all.
Sep 16, 2015 8:47 AM

Dec 2014
School Days. Considered the worst by many but it's the mostly uniquely harem anime of it's kind that's closer to real life. I gave it above average.
Sep 16, 2015 2:34 PM

May 2015
TripleSRank said:
TheBrainintheJar said:
If I like something, I have clear reasons for doing so. I don't rate stuff that I find crap highly. Even if it's supposed to be 'critically' good but it doesn't work, I try to figure out why.

If you don't enjoy action, are action-based series automatically bad?

I think the point of the question is if your critical values and what you find !fun! are different, which do you default to when they conflict?

OT: This hasn't happened to me much. If it's something that I'm not enjoying despite it meeting my standards, I would likely just drop without rating. I actually separate my standards from my enjoyment within my list; enjoyment level goes in the tags.

Yes. There are things in anime that I generally don't like, like realistic design and action (I'm actually a big action nerd in cinema). I have reasons for disliking these things. I find most realistic design to be dull, uncreative and a cover-up. If you want real-looking characters, use live action. Why go through the pain of copying real people when you use cameras?

That said, I'm still open to see how they work. I loved AOT's style, which was closer to realism and far away from my preferred style.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Sep 16, 2015 2:37 PM

Jul 2012
JewellTH said:
mayukachan said:
clannad AS as a 7/10

will never rewatch. hate the characters.

The only characters I care about in Clannad are Fuko, Tomoya, Kyou, Tomoyo, Kotomi, Ushio and Nagisa's dad.

Tomoya was ok near the end but he's still boring as a while
Nagisa's dad is cute but one dimensional
That's it
Sep 16, 2015 2:38 PM

Jun 2014
I rated Shingeki no Kyojin an 8 even though I don't think I even enjoyed it that much. I thoroughly enjoyed the first arc but after that I pretty much slept through the rest so I don't think I have a valid enough opinion to rate it lower unless I actually watch it again.
Sep 16, 2015 4:08 PM

Sep 2011
Wait, what?

Sep 16, 2015 4:42 PM

Jun 2015
If I don't like it I'm not giving it a good rating. But since [···]
JewellTH said:
By that, I mean you hate it. Whether it's the atmosphere, the genre, etc. Yet, you felt like it was still critically good or it was too innocent that you gave it a score above five?
[···] a 5 is already a good rating according to the question, yes.

Both seasons of Code Geass, Bakemonogatari and Kimi ni Todoke are shows that I truly disliked but I valued them with a 5 or more, just because they were simply better than other garbage.
Sep 16, 2015 4:50 PM

Jul 2008
I totally hated the character art-style in Madoka Magica, but I still gave it a 7 for the story.
Omae wa mo shindeiru.
Sep 16, 2015 5:04 PM

Sep 2014
Not really. I thought Elfen Lied was pretty awful to be honest, deserves more of a 4, but I gave it a 6 just because despite how bad it was, I still enjoyed it.

There's probably a couple of others I've rated higher than I think they actually deserve, but I just rate based on enjoyment, rather than how I think about a show critically.
Sep 16, 2015 8:45 PM

Nov 2011
TheBrainintheJar said:
TripleSRank said:

If you don't enjoy action, are action-based series automatically bad?

I think the point of the question is if your critical values and what you find !fun! are different, which do you default to when they conflict?

OT: This hasn't happened to me much. If it's something that I'm not enjoying despite it meeting my standards, I would likely just drop without rating. I actually separate my standards from my enjoyment within my list; enjoyment level goes in the tags.

Yes. There are things in anime that I generally don't like, like realistic design and action (I'm actually a big action nerd in cinema). I have reasons for disliking these things. I find most realistic design to be dull, uncreative and a cover-up. If you want real-looking characters, use live action. Why go through the pain of copying real people when you use cameras?

That said, I'm still open to see how they work. I loved AOT's style, which was closer to realism and far away from my preferred style.

You didn't really talk about why an action series would be bad for having action. I specifically used that as an example for a reason. Design preferences are usually something more along the lines of "taste", though in your case it does seem that it may be your standards- I will stick to the action example, given that.

Since my example of not liking action happened to be true in your case, why are action series automatically bad?
TripleSRankSep 16, 2015 9:05 PM
Sep 16, 2015 8:56 PM

Nov 2014
Just because I hate a show does not mean it's bad. Wait..

Sep 16, 2015 10:45 PM

Jan 2013
ExTamplier said:

But do you rate them highly?

PS. Nice bait on your sig :D
Sep 16, 2015 10:50 PM

Nov 2014
CondemneDio said:
ExTamplier said:

But do you rate them highly?
Yeah, there are plenty of shows I would give 7-9 even when I personally felt like 2-5.

Sep 16, 2015 11:59 PM

Jun 2012
royaldocks said:
Lol no

But I know some sad plastic people who never watched LOTGH on their life or watched it but found it average yet they gave it a High Score so they feel accepted its ridiculous.

I can see this happening for a lot of anime. People genuinely don't enjoy them, but don't wanna be seen as "plebs", so give them high scores. Probably one of the only circumstances in which this could happen.
Sep 17, 2015 12:07 AM

Jun 2014
-hydro said:
royaldocks said:
Lol no

But I know some sad plastic people who never watched LOTGH on their life or watched it but found it average yet they gave it a High Score so they feel accepted its ridiculous.

I can see this happening for a lot of anime. People genuinely don't enjoy them, but don't wanna be seen as "plebs", so give them high scores. Probably one of the only circumstances in which this could happen.

What is this some form of peer pressure? Are they really that scared with others looking at their ratings of the show when there is a thing called tags for explanation, or could they just make their list private.
All credit goes to Sacred.
Sep 17, 2015 2:27 AM

Jul 2014
Golden Time.

Almost for the entirety of it past the first couple of episodes I battled with the inner desire to drop it. Sticking with it was the right choice, though.

I also hate quite a few things about No Game No Life, but it's a love/hate relationship.
Sep 17, 2015 6:09 AM

May 2015
TripleSRank said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

You didn't really talk about why an action series would be bad for having action. I specifically used that as an example for a reason. Design preferences are usually something more along the lines of "taste", though in your case it does seem that it may be your standards- I will stick to the action example, given that.

Since my example of not liking action happened to be true in your case, why are action series automatically bad?

Action series are not autmoatically bad - I gave Medabots a 10 and praised its action. I also loved the action of Attack on Titan.

I just find the anime style to not be very good at showing actions. They somehow can't transmit that kinetic energy that makes a great actioner so fun. Something about the anime art style is more static, which doesn't translate well for action scenes. Coompare it to a Western cartoon like Megas XLR, where there is more focus on movement (it's also more overblown).

Of course, it's possible that I'm wrong. Maybe most anime-action is closer to Medabots/AOT. I'm not going to write off a series just because it has things I don't like. I could always be wrong - AOT is full of things I don't generally like but it worked.
Sep 17, 2015 10:05 AM
May 2012
mayukachan said:
JewellTH said:

The only characters I care about in Clannad are Fuko, Tomoya, Kyou, Tomoyo, Kotomi, Ushio and Nagisa's dad.

That's it

How can Akio be one dimensional if he was one of the main supporting characters in After Story? You don't know what one dimensional actually means.
Sep 17, 2015 10:08 AM
Jun 2015
WinterSnowflake said:
mayukachan said:

That's it

How can Akio be one dimensional if he was one of the main supporting characters in After Story? You don't know what one dimensional actually means.

He means he stuck to having one specific personality and mostly stayed that way.

(Note: I also forgot. Sanae's pretty cute and funny :3)
Sep 17, 2015 11:06 AM

May 2014
Cross Ange. I don't exactly hate it, but I hate how the story progressed in cour 2 and its ending. The first cour was awesome though. Regardless I didn't feel like dropping it to a 7 or 6.
Typing on an ipad is like driving carpentry nails with a sledgehammer.
Sep 17, 2015 1:47 PM

Nov 2011
TheBrainintheJar said:
TripleSRank said:

Action series are not autmoatically bad - I gave Medabots a 10 and praised its action. I also loved the action of Attack on Titan.

I just find the anime style to not be very good at showing actions. They somehow can't transmit that kinetic energy that makes a great actioner so fun. Something about the anime art style is more static, which doesn't translate well for action scenes. Coompare it to a Western cartoon like Megas XLR, where there is more focus on movement (it's also more overblown).

Of course, it's possible that I'm wrong. Maybe most anime-action is closer to Medabots/AOT. I'm not going to write off a series just because it has things I don't like. I could always be wrong - AOT is full of things I don't generally like but it worked.

Thank you for reminding me why I like you. :)

Okay, so unlike many people, you seem to be able to explain your taste as easily as your standards. That's making it harder for me to get to the point I'm trying to make (the difference between taste and standards) since you also seem to value both equally, unlike myself. (It's not so much that I consider one more important as it is that I think it's important to differentiate them.)

To bring it back into the context of this thread, let's have a hypothetical situation. Say you watch an anime action flick: The action itself is poor for all of the reasons you generally find action poor in anime, and naturally there's quite a lot of it in said hypothetical show. However, let's also say the characters are well developed and their reasons for fighting are of interest to the show's themes, the plot is decent, etc. etc. Basically everything in the show is pretty solid save the (numerous) action scenes, which just seem to suck to you. How would you end up rating such a show, and why?

You don't actually have to answer that hypothetical: I'm just trying to illustrate the difference between liking or disliking the story's structure (how the characters are portrayed, how the themes are conveyed, etc.) versus personal preferences unrelated to the story (such as the art style; various forms of fanservice including action, romance, ecchi, etc.; and so on). Do you indeed value these equally, or do you think one should be weighted more than the other (or at least differentiated)? Also, are there occasions where these two types of "likes" conflict, and if so, how do you rectify said conflicts?
Sep 17, 2015 2:50 PM

May 2015
TripleSRank said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

Thank you for reminding me why I like you. :)

Okay, so unlike many people, you seem to be able to explain your taste as easily as your standards. That's making it harder for me to get to the point I'm trying to make (the difference between taste and standards) since you also seem to value both equally, unlike myself. (It's not so much that I consider one more important as it is that I think it's important to differentiate them.)

To bring it back into the context of this thread, let's have a hypothetical situation. Say you watch an anime action flick: The action itself is poor for all of the reasons you generally find action poor in anime, and naturally there's quite a lot of it in said hypothetical show. However, let's also say the characters are well developed and their reasons for fighting are of interest to the show's themes, the plot is decent, etc. etc. Basically everything in the show is pretty solid save the (numerous) action scenes, which just seem to suck to you. How would you end up rating such a show, and why?

You don't actually have to answer that hypothetical: I'm just trying to illustrate the difference between liking or disliking the story's structure (how the characters are portrayed, how the themes are conveyed, etc.) versus personal preferences unrelated to the story (such as the art style; various forms of fanservice including action, romance, ecchi, etc.; and so on). Do you indeed value these equally, or do you think one should be weighted more than the other (or at least differentiated)? Also, are there occasions where these two types of "likes" conflict, and if so, how do you rectify said conflicts?

Thanks for the compliment.

I don't see a difference between taste and standards (or bias and Theory of Good Storytelling). Everytime we watch an anime, we compare it to other things we wathc, our past experience and value it according to that. Being a critic means trying to understand your test and 'biases' (In this case, a bias is a person's theory of what makes for good stories). Some people also like to challenge their tastes, try different things and look at them from different angles.

There is also a different between purely sensory taste (Food, music) and more idea-based media (Literature). This is a different discussion and if you want me to go into it drop a comment on my profile.

I will answer your hyothetical, though. I encountered. Digimon Tamers is a solid 10 (I'm going to add it once I finish reviewing the arcs). Its actions are very boring save for two. They're only good because one is a very dramatic moment, and one features the D-Reaper (A beautifully design thing). Since everything else in the series was good - the characters, the reasons for fighting, the drama - these action scenes had no effect whatsoever on my rating. It's a flaw, but it's so small it's nothing to compared to everything else.

Art style and fanservice are not unrelated to the story. They are choices in How to Tell the Story, which is sometimes more important than the story itself. Art style is very important to me, and I care deeply how the fanservice is portrayed. How they affect the rating depends on how they're integrated and in what amount. If we're talking ecchi, Freezing is an example that sometimes gets it right (It has the sexiest character design ever, so it's okay when they flaunt it) and sometimes made you uncomfortable (Its sexual violence is often cruel, and would suit more a hentai).
Sep 17, 2015 2:56 PM

May 2015
Hate? No. There are some animes out there that I think were great but just didn't really enjoy (Shinsekai Yori), which I've rated based on what I believe the quality of the anime is rather than how much I actually enjoyed it.
Sep 17, 2015 6:25 PM

Sep 2010
Code Geass R2 a massive character bias contributed to the score.
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Sep 17, 2015 7:17 PM

Oct 2012
Generally if the show has a large conflict between my "objective" and subjective ratings, I don't score them. Take a show like Inferno Cop for example; Its both one of the greatest yet worst things ever made. Another good example would be Ore Twintails ni Narimasu, That show is so objectively shitty yet still one of the more entertaining shows i've ever watched.
Sep 17, 2015 7:33 PM

Jun 2015
AoT/SNK
Sep 18, 2015 7:26 AM

May 2015
FontSize72LOL said:
Generally if the show has a large conflict between my "objective" and subjective ratings, I don't score them. Take a show like Inferno Cop for example; Its both one of the greatest yet worst things ever made. Another good example would be Ore Twintails ni Narimasu, That show is so objectively shitty yet still one of the more entertaining shows i've ever watched.

What's better? A poorly-constructed show that manages to entertain or a well-made one that doesn't have any effect?
Sep 18, 2015 7:53 AM
Photojournalist

Apr 2007
School Days is the first thing that comes to mind.
Sep 18, 2015 7:54 AM

Mar 2015
Nope. I rate based on enjoyment.
Sep 18, 2015 8:19 AM

Jan 2012
Yea I have. I gave Neon Genesis Evangelion a 5/10 (I didn't enjoy it at all simply because I found it to be one big clusterf#$k , however the characters were some of the best written out of any anime I've ever seen , and the overall depressing atmosphere greatly contributed to the overall feel of the show.) I could have rated it a 1/10 if I really wanted to because that is how I felt after finishing it, however I gave credit where it was due simply because I didn't think it was fair to rate it extremely low simply because I didn't enjoy it.
Sep 18, 2015 10:08 AM

Jun 2014
No, that would ruin the whole concept of rating. ^ god damn quote chains spoiler them
All credit goes to Sacred.
Sep 18, 2015 10:10 AM

May 2013

Obviously not, so that makes me wonder why you complicated it further with your poor explanations :S
Sep 18, 2015 10:14 AM
Mar 2014
Dark_Chaos said:

Obviously not, so that makes me wonder why you complicated it further with your poor explanations :S

i didn't complicate anything though
i just assumed using terms that are pretty much common knowledge wouldn't be hard to understand
Rinth said:
Every opinion is not equal. Some opinions are simply made out of shit.

nasuverse > your favorite anime
Sep 18, 2015 10:16 AM

May 2013
omfgplzstop said:
Dark_Chaos said:

i just assumed using terms that are pretty much common knowledge wouldn't be hard to understand

But you did though. Let me ask you this - why did you purposefully dodge my question twice, the one that eventually led to the answer I was looking for, prolonging this by a couple posts?
Sep 18, 2015 10:20 AM
Mar 2014
Dark_Chaos said:
omfgplzstop said:

But you did though. Let me ask you this - why did you purposefully dodge my question twice, the one that eventually led to the answer I was looking for, prolonging this by a couple posts?

again?
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
omfgplzstop said:

dere
Rinth said:
Every opinion is not equal. Some opinions are simply made out of shit.

nasuverse > your favorite anime
Sep 18, 2015 10:22 AM

Mar 2015
FireEmblemIke24 said:
No, that would ruin the whole concept of rating. ^ god damn quote chains spoiler them
there are some series that you hate it very much. but you will admit it it has good things. you hate some of it side, but get entertained by another side. just like that. it's not about become objective or something. it's just result of everything.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Sep 18, 2015 10:22 AM

May 2013
omfgplzstop said:
Dark_Chaos said:

again?
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
omfgplzstop said:

dere

Dodging the question again. That's a third time :/ If you're going to answer the question and speak properly, the best time would be now. If not, I'm leaving.
Sep 18, 2015 10:27 AM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
absentminded said:
FireEmblemIke24 said:
there are some series that you hate it very much. but you will admit it it has good things. you hate some of it side, but get entertained by another side. just like that. it's not about become objective or something. it's just result of everything.

Oh yes.
Mars of Destruction for example.
It actually manages to make me laugh, successfully entertained me a bit, and also I admit that it has quite a twist.

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Sep 18, 2015 10:36 AM

Mar 2015
RayAdha said:
absentminded said:
Oh yes.
Mars of Destruction for example.
It actually manages to make me laugh, successfully entertained me a bit, and also I admit that it has quite a twist.
you still rate it low thou. my perfect example is gonna be kazu no honkai. the character are really piss me off and really depressing to read. it's jut drama again and again. i have to put it onhold after 15 chapter. but still, it's one of best writen story ever i read. the discription is really detail. the character really really humanlike and really good and drama is well made.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Sep 18, 2015 11:25 AM
Jul 2012
aikaflip said:
Definitely Nana. Some of the characters in that series really pissed me off. However, since I try to rate "objectively", I gave it an 8 for art, writing, etc although my personal enjoyment dropped to a 3.

Can't believe a 30-something grown man would get offended by realistic mistakes that fictional young adults do in a show, it's usually kids who hate shows for being personnally offended by the characters

Mine would prob be mushishi, show itself is inoffensive and liked it at first but hate how the whole show is pretty much the same thing over and over, should have been a short series or ova with better polish so episodes wouldn't feel the same art/direction-wise
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Is there an extension that helps you fully block someone?

APolygons2 - 2 hours ago

17 by APolygons2 »»
57 seconds ago

» What anime do a lot of people consider to be one of the greatest that you think is just good?

arinthach - 5 hours ago

21 by APolygons2 »»
6 minutes ago

» Light novel adaptation and boring ending

Ri-KoRin - 16 minutes ago

1 by W3TFT »»
8 minutes ago

» What old anime could become popular today?

W3TFT - 6 hours ago

10 by LSSJ_Gaming »»
14 minutes ago

Poll: » Hentai is the worst anime genre ever created. ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

64 by FZREMAKE »»
26 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.