Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Poll: Akagami no Shirayuki-hime Episode 11 Discussion

Jul 13, 2017 10:04 AM

D-ohnuts said:
Pfft, this sappy romance fluff. I don't know why girls like this kind of story, but whatever.

4/5

Romance on the more idealistic side of the scale may allow the viewer to get invested in a fictional relationship, and temporarily experience feelings that are similar to being in love. One of its main goals is wish fulfillment - which is not to say it can't be a good story. Romance on the more cynical side of the scale may expose the viewer to some harsher lessons about love, and show them a more balanced picture of how romance can affect lives, all this in a safe environment.

While not all humans are interested in romanctic relationships, it offers themes that have the potential to resonate with most people. While it's totally okay if you don't like sappy romance, I believe it's worth it to consider that it's porbably not just "girls" who can find meaning in it, and that whether it's good or not depends on how it's executed by the creator. My point is really that it may not be the best approach to automatically dismiss any romantic story that's idealistic.

violity said:
Omomomomo!!! Being confessed like that... BE STILL, MY POOR HEART!! O//////////O I LOVE ZEN... BUT I CAN'T HELP TO LOVE OBI TOO... Being with Zen seems like the 'normal' way to end this series, I don't like that route of doing things honestly. It's just too unadventurous and boring, it's just the same with those kinds of series that usually ends with the protagonists falling in love, getting married and having kids because the author can't think of things to twist the ending a bit. I heard there's a second season for this, so I'll see how things goes from there.

I believe that the "too predictable" argument - by itself - is weak when it comes to criticizing a ship. To me, it's a lot more important that I can believe that the characters in question are genuinely attracted to each other and have a fun or interesting dynamic, than whether or not it would be "predictable" for them to hook up. While I can concede that Zen and Shirayuki's relationship is hardly the most interesting one I've seen, at this point in the series, it's the only one that makes sense to me thematically and otherwise. If later more time is spent on evolving Obi and Shirayuki's dynamic, I might change my mind.

Honestly, I prefer it when a creator can make a story interesting without including twists that either make no sense or that add nothing to the story. Twists are just tools, and if the story uses them in a way that breaks its internal consistency, the story can become hard to take seriously. This is not a problem in a more comedic or intentionally bizarre story, but Akagami has given me the impression that, while it is admittedly a fairy tale romance, it aims to treat its main characters as people grounded in reality instead of plot devices.

In short, twists might make a show feel faster and more eventful, but if used carelessly they may break it completely. In this case, Shirayuki falling for Obi unreasonably fast and vice versa would break the show for me. And one could argue that a love triangle would be just as cliché, if not more cliché than what we have got so far.
Modified by LeeTailor, Jul 13, 2017 10:27 AM

Oct 3, 2017 11:10 PM

I want to sleep with Garack.
lol at Obi trying to grab her hand.
She loves Zen.
Dat kiss.
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).

Nov 2, 2017 5:12 PM

Those stares Shirayuki gives, too damn hilarious.

THEY DID IT AGAIN

Dec 3, 2017 4:18 PM

Flustered Shirayuki was great.

Cheesy episode but still nice.

Apr 5, 2:45 PM

Man, the ending to that episode left a giant, stupid smile plastered on my face.

May 13, 2:03 AM

THE SHIP HAS SAILED. SHIRAYUKI X ZEN. ♥‿♥ (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ (>人<) (ง ͠° ͟ل͜ ͡°)ง (ღ˘⌣˘ღ)

Shirayuki is so shy to face Zen at first. But after staying with Zen at the garden for a while, she finally admits that she loves Zen. He kneels in front of her and they hold each other's hand! I squeal when Zen kisses Shirayuki. Another kiss! ♥

During this scene, it looks like Zen is proposing to Shirayuki. ♥

THE KISS IS SO BEAUTIFUL. I keep replaying that scene because I cannot get over it! ♥‿♥ (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ (>人<) (ง ͠° ͟ل͜ ͡°)ง (ღ˘⌣˘ღ)

Obi attempts to hold Shirayuki's hand. I think he has a romantic feeling for her, but he cannot show it out of respect for his master, who is Zen. When Zen suddenly calls for Shirayuki, Obi quickly raises his hands. I laugh at Obi's reaction! HAHAHA.

I love this episode so much. ♥

Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]