Forum Settings
Forums

How much do you contribute to the anime industry?

New
How much do you contribute to the anime industry per month on average?
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Sep 13, 2015 1:17 PM

Dec 2011
Dawnslicer said:
kuuderes_shadow said:
This past year about £3000 on related products, so a little under $400 per month at current exchange rates. Not entirely representative as I did spend rather more than usual at the start of the year but still $250-300 per month is normal. $50 is a really low max figure.

edit: changed the normal figure as my estimate was about $30 out

What the fuck kind of job do you have to be spending 400$ a month on anime?

I don't drive, don't need to pay to get to work, don't drink alcohol, don't go out partying and don't smoke. You'd be surprised at how much money most people spend on some or all of those things. Oh, and I've only had one holiday in the last year and that was a treat from my parents so it cost me nothing.

Having a free supply of both water and electricity helps too, of course, as does relatively cheap rent and access to free high speed internet. And knowing how to cook my own food meaning I don't waste money on restaurants, expensive ready meals etc.

I don't earn very much, but just spend a lot less than most people do on other things.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Sep 13, 2015 1:22 PM

Aug 2014
Dawnslicer said:
black1blade said:

I pretty much totally agree with you XD. I currently pirate most things although I have a small BD/DVD collection of western things.

Also, purchasing BD and DVD's isnt easy for most anime fans, the cost is pretty high, and unless you are out of college/high school or lower, you most likely wont have a steady enough income that can be spent on anime products. Even if you have a job and are in college/high school, its going to be difficult to have the spare money unless you get a lot of help from your family, or spend it on nothing but anime stuff when you have spending money.

Which is pretty much what I do XD. I have anikis to buy consoles for sharing.

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
Sep 13, 2015 1:26 PM

Aug 2014
Sorry about people who have already voted but I added higher options.

Sep 13, 2015 1:28 PM
Dec 2013
The only anime I've bought brand new so far are Death Note and Dragon Ball Z S1. So I basically supported Madhouse and Toei Animation respectively with my money, and have contributed a little to the anime industry.

With manga, every tankobon volume I bought is brand new (except for Death Note volume 6), and I buy manga all the time because they're dirt-cheap, so my money should be going to the mangakas.
wildhoodSep 13, 2015 1:31 PM
Sep 13, 2015 1:30 PM

Aug 2014
JumpinJC said:
The only anime I've bought brand new so far are Death Note and Dragon Ball Z S1. So I basically supported Madhouse and Toei Animation respectively with my money, and have contributed a little to the anime industry.

With manga, every tankobon volume I bought is brand new (except for Death Note volume 6), so my money should be going to the mangakas.

Fair enough although that can indirectly fuel the anime industry...

Sep 13, 2015 1:39 PM

Jan 2015
kuuderes_shadow said:

I don't drive, don't need to pay to get to work, don't drink alcohol, don't go out partying and don't smoke. You'd be surprised at how much money most people spend on some or all of those things. Oh, and I've only had one holiday in the last year and that was a treat from my parents so it cost me nothing.

Having a free supply of both water and electricity helps too, of course, as does relatively cheap rent and access to free high speed internet. And knowing how to cook my own food meaning I don't waste money on restaurants, expensive ready meals etc.

I don't earn very much, but just spend a lot less than most people do on other things.

I can understand like maybe 100-150, but even with saving money, seems a little overboard to spend 200-400 a month
"Make it flashier!" -Maid Chou Anime List
Sep 13, 2015 1:43 PM

Aug 2014
Dawnslicer said:
kuuderes_shadow said:

I can understand like maybe 100-150, but even with saving money, seems a little overboard to spend 200-400 a month

If that is all he is spending it on then fair enough. A lot of people probably have that amount of disposable income a month, it's just they don't spend all of it on anime. Then obviously there are some with pretty much 0 disposable income in which case it doesn't really make a difference if they are pirating it or not.

Sep 13, 2015 1:44 PM

Sep 2013
I pay streaming sites and buy manga and some merchandise, anime is too expensive (except bleach)
Sep 13, 2015 1:47 PM

Jan 2015
black1blade said:

If that is all he is spending it on then fair enough. A lot of people probably have that amount of disposable income a month, it's just they don't spend all of it on anime. Then obviously there are some with pretty much 0 disposable income in which case it doesn't really make a difference if they are pirating it or not.

Yeah, i just personally wouldnt spend all of my disposable income on one thing, or even 400$ if i had more than that to spend. I would probably limit myself to less than 150$ a month on anime alone.
Sep 13, 2015 1:54 PM

Aug 2014
Dawnslicer said:
black1blade said:

Yeah, i just personally wouldnt spend all of my disposable income on one thing, or even 400$ if i had more than that to spend. I would probably limit myself to less than 150$ a month on anime alone.

I agree. If I had that level of steady disposable income, I would probably get back into wargaming (although I would need space and stuff and I wouldn't go with GW ever again!)

Sep 13, 2015 10:50 PM

Dec 2011
Dawnslicer said:
black1blade said:

Then that's your choice to make. You'll also note that I said "related products" - I don't actually know how much I spend on anime itself, but it's a lot less than $400, and comfortably less than $150 as well. Technically it's a bit of a push to describe all the spending as "related products" anyway as the figure includes quite a lot of manga and light novels that don't have anime adaptations. I don't separate my spending based on what does and doesn't have an anime.
kuuderes_shadowSep 13, 2015 11:13 PM
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Sep 13, 2015 10:52 PM

Jan 2009
nothing i do not even pay for internet just a hack one thats how poor i am
Sep 13, 2015 11:15 PM

Aug 2015
I'm probably pushing $6-7000 in total in the last 2 years soooo 6500/2=3250/12=270 per month. (in AUD) I'm talking just purely anime purchases.
Sep 13, 2015 11:26 PM

Jan 2015
kuuderes_shadow said:

Then that's your choice to make. You'll also note that I said "related products" - I don't actually know how much I spend on anime itself, but it's a lot less than $400, and comfortably less than $150 as well. Technically it's a bit of a push to describe all the spending as "related products" anyway as the figure includes quite a lot of manga and light novels that don't have anime adaptations. I don't separate my spending based on what does and doesn't have an anime.
Thats what i meant too lol xD I probably would end up buying less than 150$ total of everything in a month, hopefully, otherwise i would personally feel like im spending too much. Im pretty conservative when it comes to my spendings, even on hobbies and such.

Jalapolo said:
I'm probably pushing $6-7000 in total in the last 2 years soooo 6500/2=3250/12=270 per month. (in AUD) I'm talking just purely anime purchases.

I think you have a bit of a problem xD Ship some stuff my way lol.
Sep 13, 2015 11:30 PM

Aug 2015
Dawnslicer said:
Jalapolo said:

The amount I spend is roughly 5-10% of my wage so I don't think it's too excessive.
Sep 13, 2015 11:32 PM

Sep 2014
You people disgust me
Sep 13, 2015 11:34 PM

Jul 2012
$20<$50 (your vote)

But. WIth manga. I go out and buy secondhand manga every month.

I found three volumes of Nodame Cantabile for $4 each a few days ago. So happy. I'm 4 away from collecting them all.
Sep 13, 2015 11:36 PM

Mar 2014
You mean the American anime dub and localization industry that doesn't contribute shit to the actual Japanimation industry? The ones that only care about their North American customers?

Nothing. They don't like me, and I don't like them
Comic_SansSep 13, 2015 11:39 PM
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Sep 13, 2015 11:38 PM

Jan 2015
Jalapolo said:
Dawnslicer said:

The amount I spend is roughly 5-10% of my wage so I don't think it's too excessive.

xD cant wait till i am able to get a full time job after college lol, i dont do much, so like you, ill probably be able to save and have disposable revenue at that point, but currently its not gonna happen easily.
Sep 13, 2015 11:57 PM

Aug 2015
Comic_Sans said:
You mean the American anime dub and localization industry that doesn't contribute shit to the actual Japanimation industry? The ones that only care about their North American customers?

Don't they have to pay for the licence to distribute the anime?
It may not be a lot but I'm sure it's something, and the japanese companies would have to be agreeable to any fee paid by western licencors for their product.
Sep 14, 2015 12:20 AM

Jan 2015
Jalapolo said:
Comic_Sans said:

Don't they have to pay for the licence to distribute the anime?
It may not be a lot but I'm sure it's something, and the japanese companies would have to be agreeable to any fee paid by western licencors for their product.

They honestly couldnt give two shits about westerners really. Unless we are buying straight from them, and i mean BD/DVD, they dont make nearly enough to care really. In reality, the illegal sites provide just as much, if not more potential revenue, because thats allowing people to preview the product, and base judgement, then purchase if they enjoyed it. That purchase will then be 10x or more (Probably much more) the amount that a month or two or so of paying for a membership and streaming anime on crunchyroll would give. They dont pay jack shit really to the companies.

Reason i say as much, if not more revenue, is because, just look at the way my poll is going so far. There are already twice the amount of people saying they wouldnt have, or probably wouldnt have gotten into anime if not for illegal sites. Imagine that on a larger scale, and seeing everyone who watches illegally, in comparison to everyone who watches nothing but legal methods. The outcome will probably be close to a 5:1 ratio or more.
Sep 14, 2015 12:33 AM

Dec 2011
Dawnslicer said:

Reason i say as much, if not more revenue, is because, just look at the way my poll is going so far. There are already twice the amount of people saying they wouldnt have, or probably wouldnt have gotten into anime if not for illegal sites. Imagine that on a larger scale, and seeing everyone who watches illegally, in comparison to everyone who watches nothing but legal methods. The outcome will probably be close to a 5:1 ratio or more.

It would be interesting to see a comparison of people's answers to these two threads. Do people who would have got into anime without legal streaming sites contribute more or less than those who would not have?

And no, buying Blu-Ray and DVDs from Japan are not the only thing they care about. Indeed a prolific figure collector will probably contribute more than almost anyone else, even if they don't ever buy a single disc.
Sep 14, 2015 12:38 AM

Jan 2015
kuuderes_shadow said:
Dawnslicer said:

It would be interesting to see a comparison of people's answers to these two threads. Do people who would have got into anime without legal streaming sites contribute more or less than those who would not have?

And no, buying Blu-Ray and DVDs from Japan are not the only thing they care about. Indeed a prolific figure collector will probably contribute more than almost anyone else, even if they don't ever buy a single disc.

I know, i switch out sayings often, usually use the term "Merchandise" actually.

In all honesty, the ones who would have gotten into it without illegal sites would probably pay more, but thats because they are usually the ones with better access, and were introduced earlier. Thats not to say however on the grand scale those who wouldnt have would pay more, and that those who wouldnt have wont equal in value individually if you compare them. For instance, if anime were streamed on tv here, and there were shops and everything i could go to easily, im sure id be more likely to spend money. But it also depends on the person and how into it they get. So like i said, due to being introduced earlier usually, and having better access, i would say those people would likely pay more individually, however if we took it as a total, those who wouldnt have gotten into it, would likely outweigh those who would have.
Sep 14, 2015 12:38 AM

Jul 2014
I once tossed a coin in a wishing well as a good luck charm for the industry.
Sep 14, 2015 12:40 AM
Aug 2015
I don't give any money....largely because i don't have the money to spare, college leave money rather tight....
Sep 14, 2015 12:43 AM

Jan 2015
ForgottenXthe3rd said:
I don't give any money....largely because i don't have the money to spare, college leave money rather tight....
Sep 14, 2015 12:57 AM

Jan 2015
none
coz y shood I support an industry bedridden with a fanbase that is so obnoxious that its like its their own market now. If the industry will continue to be a niche for self described japanimation nerds, I doubt that I will spare even a dime for them
Twitter and it's consequences had been a disaster for the human race
Sep 14, 2015 1:00 AM
Aug 2015
im broke so nah
Sep 14, 2015 1:00 AM

Dec 2009
I have some manga, blu rays/collectors editions and figures.

So I guess I've spent a decent amount on it but it is nothing compared to what I've spent on video games.
Sep 14, 2015 1:13 AM

Nov 2014
$20 - $50, sometimes more. I buy Blu-ray of my favorite titles, and I've started to buy manga. One of my last purchases was Mardock Scramble Trilogy for $26 from Amazon. If Seirei no Moribito continues to kick my ass with its amazingness, I'll probably buy it too.
Sep 14, 2015 1:18 AM

Nov 2013
I have bought some stuff, but very rarely do I buy anything other than novels.

I would say like 25$ every two or three months.
Sep 14, 2015 1:33 AM

Apr 2013
So 50%+ answered "nothing" then.
Yet the users complain when
-The animation is lacking
-3D CGI is used to reduces cost
-anime aren't adapting the whole source material and stop after 12-13 episodes and adapting things very partially.

In other words "put more money into your anime to satisfy me even if I'm not giving you any money for it".

How should I put it... As expected, I guess...

Alternatively, there's also a surprising amount of persons with 50$ and more per months. That's impressive now.
Sep 14, 2015 1:45 AM
Jul 2015
lol! nothing! i won't give a penny to any studio.
i don't watch anime on cable TV because i pay for that
so i watch it illegally on the net which i still pay but only pay for the internet not the anime!
Sep 14, 2015 1:53 AM

Jan 2015
Zefyris said:
-anime aren't adapting the whole source material and stop after 12-13 episodes and adapting things very partially.

In other words "put more money into your anime to satisfy me even if I'm not giving you any money for it".

Alternatively, there's also a surprising amount of persons with 50$ and more per months. That's impressive now.

Not everyone can afford to pay. Also, the sales in japan are what really determine everything in the end. A lot, and i mean a lot, more people would have to buy full series/seasons of anime as they come out to make a big difference. Now, i am not saying they should go complain about everything, but sometimes the anime is finished, and not going to get a new season, or something else, so its not like they can do anything about it at that point. As long as its more of criticism than complaining, i think its fine for them to voice their opinion. When they straight up complain is when its a problem.
Sep 14, 2015 1:53 AM

Jun 2015
I don't spend money in anime.
I buy like 2 or 3 mangas monthly, on average.
Sep 15, 2015 7:12 AM

Apr 2013
Dawnslicer said:
Zefyris said:

Not everyone can afford to pay. Also, the sales in japan are what really determine everything in the end. A lot, and i mean a lot, more people would have to buy full series/seasons of anime as they come out to make a big difference. Now, i am not saying they should go complain about everything, but sometimes the anime is finished, and not going to get a new season, or something else, so its not like they can do anything about it at that point. As long as its more of criticism than complaining, i think its fine for them to voice their opinion. When they straight up complain is when its a problem.

Not paying if no money can't be helped.
Critics can be good even without paying. If you think the story isn't good for example, it has nothing to do with money. But complaining that the studio didn't put enough money so that it's pretty enough for them, like complaining about the animation level, complaining about 3DCGI and the like, is different.
Sep 15, 2015 7:38 AM

Dec 2014
I understand people can't afford or can't get anime in their country, but some of the response were...... Wow. It's good to know how loyal the anime community is. Lol
Sep 15, 2015 7:41 AM

Dec 2014
For me, I can't support anime or manga monthly, but I usually spend 30-80 range if I got the money. Though I use Hulu to stream most anime. so I guess it would help a bit.
Sep 15, 2015 7:47 AM

Apr 2013
I am too poor to buy the Japanese Version of Bebop BD so I have bought the US version instead. I bought ZnT OST when I was in Nagoya last year too.

For Manga I have bought the whole set of Steel Ball Run
It is so dense. Every single image has so many things going on.
Sep 15, 2015 7:51 AM

Oct 2014
I'm an avid manga buyer. I was even subbed to weekly shounen jump when it was physical
Sep 15, 2015 8:12 AM

Feb 2010
Zefyris said:

I feel like IF you're mentally ready to spend money on (GASP!) a hobby of yours, 50$ per month isn't all that much so I'm not too surprised that people tend to either spend nothing or a decent amount on it. It's really less about being 'impossible to afford' like lots of people suggest, and more about the willingness to make room for it in your budget.
I probably regret this post by now.
Sep 15, 2015 8:30 AM

Jan 2014
0$
Sep 15, 2015 8:34 AM

Jul 2015
Only thing I have is a VCD of Digimon: The Adventure Movie (but it's more westernized than it is anime)
And then 10 volumes of Ragnarok: Into the Abyss.

So... it could fall into $0-5.

Sep 15, 2015 8:42 AM
Mar 2015
I have a few dvds but other than that nothing. I would like to watch anime legally but most shows are blocked in my region.
Sep 15, 2015 9:01 AM

Jan 2008
Zefyris said:

These problems have nothing to do with the question asked, since we've had them forever. The ones making anime 99% care only about the Japanese market and will produce anime the Japanese otaku want to see. Those of us who like the same anime that the Japanese otaku do have no reason to contribute anything, since anime we like will keep getting produced regardless.
Sep 15, 2015 9:21 AM

Aug 2014
I bought a few manga volumes here and there but i haven't spent a cent when it comes to anime.
Sep 15, 2015 9:47 AM

Sep 2013
DmonHiro said:
Zefyris said:

These problems have nothing to do with the question asked, since we've had them forever. The ones making anime 99% care only about the Japanese market and will produce anime the Japanese otaku want to see. Those of us who like the same anime that the Japanese otaku do have no reason to contribute anything, since anime we like will keep getting produced regardless.

Yeah? why does almost no anime get sequels then? you don't know anything.
If the greedy/self entitled westerners actually support anime, Japan WILL care for the west more.

lol I don't need more shtty stuff like cowboy bebop XD go watch american cartoons that's especially made for the west :P
Sep 15, 2015 9:56 AM

Nov 2014
In the span of a month, well it really depends on what's being released that month or at the very least what comes out to stores near me since I don't particularly like shopping online. There's only 3 different stores near me that I use to get my fix. Best Buy is the only store near me that will grab new anime release and it has a decent selection of anime. (If only Best Buy would get the first set of Hellsing Ultimate, I'd finally be able to watch it in its entirety.) I go to Barnes & Noble to grab any manga I want. I also go to Half-Price Books. Since they take in used DVD's and books, you can usually find some anime and/or manga there. I can usually find old ADV or CPM releases there. So it's pretty fun to check it out once in a while. I'm pretty excited about checking it out. So to answer your question, I'd say between $50-$100 a month, sometimes more.
TheDerpManSep 15, 2015 10:24 AM
Sep 15, 2015 3:17 PM

Sep 2014
its disgusting how many people pirate and don't contribute a dime to the industry, yet feel so entitled. Those individuals are nothing but parasytes. So many cheap ways now to legally watch anime outside of buying blurays at least in north america. at the very least pirating is fine we all do it as long if you do your best to contribute, like buying a couple of your most favorite anime bd or subbing to crunchyroll or funimation (both are only around 10 dollars a month come on now you can't be that poor). Well the industry as a whole is booming right now finically so those individuals who pirate and don't contribute in any way must be in minority
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Anime and Time Management

LenRea - 4 hours ago

13 by KousakaK »»
56 seconds ago

» What is your most re-watched anime? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 15

92 by AxiaG »»
2 minutes ago

» Anime Time Capsule

eli_shmeli - Apr 16

28 by Atashi_Agatha »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » has the majority of people (here) seen the big 3 ? ( 1 2 3 )

ame - Apr 16

137 by OmBerry12_Bleach »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » Have y'all seen Run with the Wind?

MillerEvans23 - Yesterday

26 by LANARp-0470 »»
9 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.