Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Jan 29, 2013 11:34 PM

Jan 2013
Very good episode
Feb 4, 2013 9:28 AM

May 2012
DAFUQ THAT ENDING O_O' well I sure didn't expect that! Quite tragic backstory and well you've got to become evil to do good! Lets see what that fetus thing is and dafuq kind of powers it holds!
Mar 21, 2013 6:19 AM

Sep 2012
What the! I suddenly felt sorry for Kiyama and the children!
May 1, 2013 9:31 AM

Nov 2011
5/5

An episode worthy of a great bow! Very good plot and narrative, well-concerted even fighting, not surreal! Kiyama-sensei I liked it very much! Fight!
May 15, 2013 5:14 AM

Jun 2009
Jun 14, 2013 9:20 PM
Jan 2013
Whoa.
Have the children she taught cracked into her network?
Weird.
Your mean should be an even bell curve only if you watch every show that comes out. Having a high-slung mean doesn't mean you're rating improperly. It can also mean you're selecting shows well to watch mostly things you enjoy.
Jul 22, 2013 3:18 AM

Jun 2013
god, that flashback.. 0__0 i lost my faith in humanity again...
Jul 30, 2013 1:35 PM

Jan 2013
porkypink said:
I think Kiyama got defeated way too easily by Misaka. Although it was a some what intense fight to me. I was hoping Touma would ram in like he did in episode 4 I believe and beat Kiyama.
Well Kiyama took Misaka's surprise butsecks attack head on, and she didn't have the negation ability of that other guy.
Sep 6, 2013 5:33 AM

Dec 2010
Indeed a fantastic episode, no matter how you look at it. I never saw such awesome fights taking place in a "slice of life", and also the drama this time around was really good.
Sep 20, 2013 8:36 PM

Sep 2011
Epic is all I got to say.
Sep 23, 2013 10:19 PM

Dec 2012
Intense episode with a surprising turn of events. I wonder what is up with that fetus and what other secrets the higher ups are hiding.
Jan 2, 2014 1:01 AM

Nov 2012
yeah.. let the game begin! :)
damn kiyama is really cool using so much power..
misaka is pretty cool too . .she trick her! :O
oh btw.. what a beautifull memory.. young kiyama is really pretty and fabulous! :) love it!
oh yes.. the thing is out! XD
Jan 26, 2014 7:29 PM

Jan 2011
wow i actually liked the ep, i was bored with this show up till this point, hope this keeps up the good stuff
Apr 20, 2014 10:59 PM

May 2012
wow this episode was really awesome, this is one of those times where you can´t help but root for the *bad* guy I hope she can atleast save the children.

Truly, comparisons between fellow humans are what turn out to be the most infuriating.
May 3, 2014 8:57 PM

Jan 2013
WOW just WOW...this was actually very sad :/ didn't expected that this anime would have sad moments like this.That flashback was very good because know we know that Kyiama wasn't bad and she isn't bad she just want to save all those kids :/ i feel so bad for that little girl that she gave her bath...omg :(
Some big secrets are going around here,the governament must know something since they refused her to use that mega PC,maybe because she would discover all the trut behind all that sutff.I wish she managed to escape because she didn't wanted to hurt all level upper users,she said that they would woke up normally.
Gosh too much feels :(
Wow that fetus in the end wtf?xD

Fatentity said:

Lol that's exactly what I said when I saw the flat line, then the blood...
Tense episode, beautifully done. I was in shock and awe at the end.

She isn't bad. She's actually trying to do something kind of good, by exposing the people who allow or actually commit those kind of atrocities. Plus she said (If you can take her word for it) everyone will wake up fine and she easily gave the cure away. She also said that all esper we're in essence being used, or what they were participating in via the city wasn't safe, as they would like you to believe. Some dirty secrets going around. And she was trying to stop that/bring it down/find a way to "fix" this "problem". I wish she would've actually escaped.

Fetus was creepy looking at the end too.

Fantastic (but sad) episode.

Yeah that's true,she wasn't bad at all,now i feel really bad about her :(
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Jul 28, 2014 8:03 PM

Aug 2013
''Those sacrifices will be benificial in the name of Science!''
When science goes too far... No wonder the Kiyama stayed traumatized, after what the little girl told her before they start the experiment : ''I'm not scared because I believe in you!''. She had no interest in them when the experiment started, but with the aftermath, having spent all that time with them...

Misaka have so much trump cards in her hand... Her powers are much more varied than I thought it was. She owned them with that last attack. Overconfidence is always a killer.

That thing that bursted out of her body is surely something similar to what Hyouka was in the Index serie. Something from the ''other world''. So I guess you know what it mean... ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
RAILGUN TIME!! well I hope so...
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Jul 31, 2014 2:37 PM

Dec 2013
Great episode, nice flashbacks.
Aug 11, 2014 7:06 AM

Apr 2013
Christ, that backstory was pretty grim but effective. Don't think I've ever seen a floating fetus induced cliffhanger before. Riveting..
Aug 27, 2014 9:27 PM

May 2014
"Do you think that those "lessons" that you guys go under daily are humane?" ~Kiyama YOY GOT BURNED MISAKA. That's right, Academic city is corrupt.

"What the HELL do you know?" ~ Kiyama to Misaka regarding the ethical status of Academic City.
Yup, Misaka following her own personal beliefs as usual thinking that she is correct. No one is correct in this world. We only act for ourselves. Was it right for Kiyama to mess around with people's feelings? Was it right for those children to die for the name of "science". Everything can only be justified by our own beliefs.

xD that fetus at the end. What is this, aliens?
Dec 22, 2014 8:52 PM

Aug 2014
Omg poor kids... :o
Maloween 2017
Main Candies
Nov 11, 2015 10:01 PM
Apr 2015
Wasabi said:
kaminakun said:

Is not like she'll die or anything. Bad guy should get punished by the protagonist ^^

She's not a bad guy though. Even though her method was kind of shady, she had good intentions.

Road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Jan 18, 2016 6:15 AM

Mar 2015
The fight was well made.

Kiyama-Sensei is really good lady. She obtained that eye bag just to save those kids.

I think that fetus monster is AIM dispersion itself.
Mar 11, 2016 10:38 AM

Mar 2015
That was very tragic! Kiyama-sensei got all of her happiness destroyed.

But Kiyama-sensei is really cool with that one red eye lol. I have to say she's the most interesting supporting character.

Still waiting for Touma to save the day easily by touching those kids ( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)

Apr 18, 2016 4:45 PM
Apr 2015
JustALEX said:
Is it just me or is this RITSU (railgun style):

http://nate.quandra.org/railgun11/79.png

She sounded and acted a lot like Ritsu from K-ON, and of course the trademark yellow head band.

Satou Satomi does voice both of them, so yeah she *is* Ritsu.
May 3, 2016 11:03 AM

Jun 2011
What is wrong with these new anime these days? They rarely make something good and never make something really good.

These characters are like out-of-character in this second half, though there is some complexity in this series so that's a good thing.
Numbuh 3, you've got to get off the couch, you cannot sit in that tree house, girl you like Rainbow Monkeys so grab your little shit and then swing!

Hand tracks be tracking me to different doorways. In a maze, and I don't know what to do. Guaranteed though, Ima find the emeralds.
Jan 17, 2017 9:08 PM

Feb 2012
I wish the episode made it more clear that the children went into a coma and not died of blood loss. Kiyama's words puzzled me so much that I assumed Tree Diagram could somehow revive the dead.
Jan 31, 2017 11:37 PM

Dec 2013
Best episode for me. Really nice action with an emotional flashback.

That thing at the end was really wtf.
Mar 21, 2017 10:13 PM

Aug 2013
Kiyama has my respect.. its always the top level conspiracy. Now what the hell was just born ?
Jun 21, 2017 9:56 AM

Mar 2013
Fantastic episode.
It's sad to see people like Kiyama always have to be the subject of role of villain protagonist-kun/chan have to triumph over :(

Kiyama's backstory was really touching. What happened with those kids was really unfortunate T_T
Sep 14, 2017 8:00 AM

Jun 2013
Alright, I can chill with this episode and the previous one. It's nice that there's finally something going on. Most of it didn't grab me emotionally, and as I said, I don't feel like this story was breaking any new grounds, but I appreciate the attempt and the solid visuals, too - cool action animation and a nicely done flashback. I still question the structure of the series so far, the same amount of foreshadowing and establishing the pieces and players should have been possible in two or three episodes, nine episodes are a huge stretch.

I like the effort that was put into making Dr. Kiyama sympathetic, explaining her motivations and showing her origin story, if you will. Tanaka Atsuko breathed some life into Dr. Kiyama, for example, the way she said the "I hate kids" line with progressively more affection was really neat. Saten's moment with Uiharu in episode 10 was alright. I feel like Mikoto may be changing a tiny bit, too. I liked that she recognized that her cheerful words to Saten may have been insensitive, and her changing attitudes towards Kiyama.

And then of course, the freaky fetus. Crisply animated and amusingly weird. What a cliffhanger.
Nov 26, 2017 9:16 AM

Nov 2016
Finally some interesting plot going on.

Feel sry for Kiyama, hope that she can save the kids.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Dec 3, 2017 1:45 PM

Sep 2017
The backstory was effective, it explained Kiyama's motivation and created some sympathy for her. However she's clearly swapped logic for desperation. She needs the computing power and knowledge to research a way to save a bunch of kids who ended up in a catatonic state after being experimented on. So she creates an device that links minds together with the nice side effect of putting it's users in a coma, and distributes it to a bunch of kids...

She must be very confident in her knowledge of every possible effect the level upper can have on it's users, to be so sure no one will be sacrificed. That or desperate and deluded, which would also be a realistic possibility in the circumstances
Dec 11, 2017 11:33 AM

Apr 2013
That was a pretty horrible background story, doesn't justify what she did to people who had nothing to do with it. But still kinda relatable.
Jan 6, 2018 3:51 PM

Aug 2013
Kiyama-sensei is actually a good person. Yay.

Best episode so far. I feel bad for Kiyama-sensei.

Feb 6, 2018 11:41 AM

Sep 2012
Misaka: but there must have been better way

ME: don't be so naive & idealistic Misaka, when the hole sys is against u cause ppl on power abuse it u have no choice but to become the villain at lest for short time to save the kids (good that real life isn't like that)
Sugram22Feb 6, 2018 11:49 AM
Feb 16, 2018 3:17 AM

Jun 2017
The flashback parts with the children are exceptionally cute. I've watched this before, but... it always strikes me as a touching scene. It's funny too, how in a few of the scenes she more or less switches places with the kids. (carrots)

Good stuff - love this episode. Kiyama is one of the most interesting characters in this show and it's got a fair number of interesting characters. She's got a bit of depth that you don't really see in anime all that often.

I approve.
Mar 12, 2018 2:04 PM

Feb 2012
We finally see what Kiyama's skill is:

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Apr 11, 2018 9:57 PM
Nov 2012
Holy crap. Solid episode. Loved her boss. His face was just beautifully animated.

Railgun kicks the shit out of Index as a series.
May 2, 2018 6:33 PM

Jul 2015
Holy fuck that backstory, not being able to access to the Tree Diagram is what led her to create the level upper to find data to cure the kids who trusted in her, that hit hard.
Sep 27, 2018 9:54 AM
Apr 2017
thats some serial experiment lain refrence
Dec 4, 2018 7:42 AM

Dec 2014
well the real side of side of science shows up hmmm... well this was interesting
Jan 6, 2019 9:55 PM

Aug 2017
So, Kiyama wants to save those kids...

This episode was dark.....human experimentation, a mastermind behind this whole conflict and a creepy fetus.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Mar 23, 2019 8:33 AM
Jan 2019
How sad, I thought Kiyama was just a mad scientist, but there was a noble goal behind her experiment and it was saving those children. I hated them and loved them.
Damn old boss of the experiment, "in the name of science" my balls.
Jul 16, 2019 8:04 PM

Apr 2019
Ok, this show is not what I thought it would be...

This episode really blew my mind.
Aug 22, 2019 10:23 AM
Dec 2018
How was the fetus created? Is it part of Kiyama's consciousness? Is it all 10,000 victims combined? Was it a leech feeding off of the network the entire time?
Jan 19, 2020 6:50 AM

Sep 2018
Happy to have been proven wrong at the end of the narrative arc, the story still goes on with an excellent cliffhanger. One of the best episodes so far, thanks to the much action seen during the narration and the plot that turns out to be more complex than you could have imagined before.
Apr 15, 2020 12:04 PM

Aug 2018
Well.. To be honest.. Even if Kiyama Harumi put everyone to sleep.. Probably experiment like hers would be approved by government, really.. Unless they'd be really stubborn people.. Yeah, her methods are questionable.. But experiments on people aren't rarity in research really.. So in the end I don't necessary see her as evil.. Yeah, she was selfish.. But in the end, if she didn't hurt anyone, but rather used some of people's resources?.. Even giving them in return a time to feel more power.. I wouldn't really call her bad just for her this method.. Worse experiments on people are being done in military for example..
And Kiyama says even more - that government already are performing some experiments on people pretty much.. So yeah.. Science is like that sometimes.. In her case consequences for experiment helpers are only a sleep for a while, a really minor consequence, to be honest..
So I'm not even a tad bit mad about her, really.. But that's me personally..
And she even had such a noble cause as well?.. Well, Kiyama certainly did nothing wrong for me.. A good scientist, even if not everyone will agree..
What the fuck kind of baby creature is that?.. Creepy..
May 28, 2020 7:00 AM

Aug 2011
In Academy City they inject kids with lactic acid. Huh.
Jul 1, 2020 12:07 PM

May 2016
She went dark because of the children no wonder, and surprisingly she was cute in the past.
Oct 26, 2020 5:06 PM

Dec 2016
this ep was pretty creepy, all those human experiments, then that fetus... thought this arc was going to end this ep but seems like i was wrong... let's see how mikoto is going to deal with this fetus
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Toaru Kagaku no Railgun Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

UnknownFact - Jan 2, 2010

169 by StateofOhayo »»
Apr 23, 10:51 PM

Poll: » Toaru Kagaku no Railgun Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

throwaway513846 - Dec 25, 2009

224 by StateofOhayo »»
Apr 23, 10:13 PM

» Do you like Kuroko’s horniness, or do you think it’s annoying?

SwagsOnB - Oct 2, 2023

31 by waalex11 »»
Mar 13, 5:11 PM

Poll: » Do you like Toaru Kagaku no Railgun?

SpinStudios - Oct 25, 2021

18 by waalex11 »»
Mar 13, 5:08 PM

Poll: » Toaru Kagaku no Railgun Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Proselyt - Jan 29, 2010

164 by TheAncientOne »»
Feb 25, 9:40 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.