Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Aug 29, 2015 9:42 PM

Dec 2008
It's a fun 80s romance coming of age classic that many love, but many also find that it has a lot of flaws.

Personally I think Madoka's background should have been explored better. The early episodes of the series are pretty good and look quite promising. Love triangle or not, I expected to see more of Madoka's pas, like flashbacks or episodes set in the past. Supposedly she had a wild life before meeting Kyosuke where she hung with lots of interesting characters. Could have been interesting. Definitely more than every episode just being about Kyosuke doing stupid shit that just drag the status quo. Wouldn't hurt for there to be some sub-plot going on or something. It's not like we didn't already know that Kyosuke was gonna go for Ayukawa.

I also would have liked to see more of Ayukawa's family. We only get to know her cousin who is hardly interesting. He don't even see her parents' and older sister's faces. I find it odd for a show centered around teenagers to not have some parents and adults around to keep things in check and giving some guidance and solid advice to said teenagers. Kyosuke's father is just comic relief like his sisters. Master from ABCB comes closer to being a voice of reason character, but he's only one adult and has no family ties to any of the kids in the show.

It would have also been interesting to see Kyosuke having some competition. I mean come on now, Kyosuke couldn't have been the only guy with a thing for Madoka, bad girl reputation or not. Kyosuke is WAY too lucky having two girls who are attracted to him and only him.

Don't get me wrong, it's a fun show and I like it. But it had a lot of untapped potential, imo. Anyone else agree? What would you have done to improve this show?
Aug 29, 2015 9:44 PM

Jul 2011
Having a plot that lasts more than 4 episodes and more likeables main characters.
Aug 29, 2015 9:54 PM

Dec 2008
Praland said:
Having a plot that lasts more than 4 episodes and more likeables main characters.

And what kind of plots would you like to have seen?
Jan 10, 2016 7:57 AM

Nov 2011
and your question was never answered ever again
Apr 19, 2016 11:44 AM

Jun 2014
I would've liked to have seen what other skills Hikaru has. We know that she's a great cook, but we don't see many other skills than that, while on the other hand, Madoka is shown as being good at everything somehow.

May 11, 2016 1:17 PM
May 2015
Cutting out the 2ND half of the 2ND cour and the whole 3Rd cour would have made me rate this a lot higher
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 14, 2016 3:48 AM

Sep 2010
Nearly everything about this series is a complete mess. The plot is barely there. The characters were all unlikable except for Madoka but she was too unrealistically perfect. A manic pixie dream girl, basically.
Nov 18, 2017 3:36 PM

Dec 2008
sauveterre said:
Nearly everything about this series is a complete mess. The plot is barely there. The characters were all unlikable except for Madoka but she was too unrealistically perfect. A manic pixie dream girl, basically.

All unlikable? Hikaru didn't really do anything wrong tbh. Nor did Kyosuke's father or Kyosuke's sisters. And Master was a pretty chill character, imo. Kyosuke should have been more honest with both Hikaru and Madoka, though. He's pretty much the main thing that stalled the whole show.

As for the lack of plot, like I said, Madoka's past was left unexplored for some reason. The show started out rather promising, making us expect to know more about Madoka's past as it'd go on... but the Madoka the Pick thing eventually gets forgotten and is only mentioned occasionally from then on.
Nov 29, 2017 3:56 PM

Sep 2010
Cowabunga said:
sauveterre said:

All unlikable? Hikaru didn't really do anything wrong tbh. Nor did Kyosuke's father or Kyosuke's sisters. And Master was a pretty chill character, imo. Kyosuke should have been more honest with both Hikaru and Madoka, though. He's pretty much the main thing that stalled the whole show.

As for the lack of plot, like I said, Madoka's past was left unexplored for some reason. The show started out rather promising, making us expect to know more about Madoka's past as it'd go on... but the Madoka the Pick thing eventually gets forgotten and is only mentioned occasionally from then on.

They don't contribute anything to the plot. Yes, Hikaru did nothing wrong but she' still not a good character. Not as bad as Kysouke though. He's horrible.
Nov 29, 2017 11:09 PM

Dec 2008
sauveterre said:
Cowabunga said:

They don't contribute anything to the plot. Yes, Hikaru did nothing wrong but she' still not a good character. Not as bad as Kysouke though. He's horrible.

Tbh Hikaru's delinquent act is even less credible than Madoka's. If someone new to the show jumped into it midway through it and you told them Madoka and Hikaru were both delinquents at some point they wouldn't believe you.

I think Master from ABCB was the most likeable of the secondary characters. We didn't know much about him, but he was a very balanced minded person and never meddled into Kyosuke's and Madoka's relationship.

But yeah, seems like that if it weren't for Hikaru and Kyosuke's family; Kyosuke and Madoka would have gotten together around episode 5 or so. I guess it's because KOR is an 80s manga/anime, and back then anime were generally longer and more episodic and tended to drag on. I mean Maison Ikkoku sure took its time to put Godai and Kyoko together as well, didn't it? I assume Ranma 1/2 did as well?

Dec 7, 2017 12:59 AM

Dec 2015
Ranma 1/2 adaptation never reached the manga's conclusion. And this conclusion was the wedding of Akane and Ranma being disrupted by all their pretendants/stalkers/insert your favourite description here

About Orange Road, the manga dragged the situation really longer than the anime (who recycled various elements of the three or four? years of school illustrated in the book into a one year real time show).

edit @Cowabunga I know. I love the manga (though I couldn't get my hands on the whole french new edition) but I also have a thing for the anime overall and its end inparticular, especially Ano hi ni kaeritai. (best theatrical finale, ex-aequo with Gyakushu no CHar xD )
Rei_IIIDec 7, 2017 11:50 AM
Dec 7, 2017 1:24 AM

Dec 2008
Rei366 said:
@Cowabunga Ranma 1/2 adaptation never reached the manga's conclusion. And this conclusion was the wedding of Akane and Ranma being disrupted by all their pretendants/stalkers/insert your favourite description here

About Orange Road, the manga dragged the situation really longer than the anime (who recycled various elements of the three or four? years of school illustrated in the book into a one year real time show).

I could never get into Ranma 1/2 tbh. I watched a few episodes about a decade ago and meh. Dunno what it was, but it just didn't do it for me. Maison Ikkoku and Urusei Yatsura seemed more engaging.

Yes I read KOR's manga. About its ending:

May 26, 2018 9:51 AM

Nov 2016
Agreed with the issue on Madoka's back-story. It just kind of got pushed under the rug unfortunately.

Less appearances of Hikaru would've made this show 10x better. At first she was tolerable but as the show dragged on, she just became such a big nuisance. "Darling this, darling that..." was like scratching on chalkboard to my ears. Honestly had to skim through many parts of episodes that included her. That's just how annoying she was for me. Definitely wasn't a fan of her role in this show one bit since Kyosuke & Madoka moments as a stand alone could've been sufficient enough. It truly annoyed the hell out of me when the author tried to put Hikaru on the same level as Madoka as in term of who this Kyosuke truly loved considering how obviously one-sided it was.

There's also the reoccurrence of the same episodes pretty much here and there. The show could've cut down a great number of episodes. It could've saved me a lot of my time. Not only that but Kyosuke himself is something that could've been worked on better. Probably a lot more out there that's wrong with this show but these were the stuff that I disliked strongly after just finishing the show.
May 26, 2018 10:42 AM

Nov 2017
I won't listen to people blaspheme probably the greatest anime that ever existed, especially if you're into rom coms or just roms.

All 80s series were like this, full of funky stuff and filler. But it's massive fun. It's really about the journey to get to the end, rather than micro-complaining about all the little events that got you there.

This show keeps you in suspense AND pisses you off and it's glorious! I love the annoyingness of the characters, otherwise there wouldn't be anything to watch!

The manga's good too, but it's brief. The author might've written more or a sequel but he didn't have the health for it. Very sad.

You didn't even mention the masterful films, or the great OVA.

Kimagure Orange Road is pretty much everything that anime would come to be in the ensuing years. It's among the most influential things in the medium and it was very popular in its day. The music is off-the-f-ing-charts. I'm not sure an anime ever had better music.

Don't you just love the nostalgia? That bubble-economy nostalgia? It's so wistful!

1. kimagure caprice
2. kimagure capricious
3. kimagure fickle
4. kimagure moody
5. kimagure whim
6. kimagure whimsy

This show invented Tsundere! 'a sudden and unaccountable change of mood or behavior.'

Jan 13, 2019 6:47 PM

Dec 2008
DarkInsomnia57 said:
I won't listen to people blaspheme probably the greatest anime that ever existed, especially if you're into rom coms or just roms.

All 80s series were like this, full of funky stuff and filler. But it's massive fun. It's really about the journey to get to the end, rather than micro-complaining about all the little events that got you there.

This show keeps you in suspense AND pisses you off and it's glorious! I love the annoyingness of the characters, otherwise there wouldn't be anything to watch!

The manga's good too, but it's brief. The author might've written more or a sequel but he didn't have the health for it. Very sad.

You didn't even mention the masterful films, or the great OVA.

Kimagure Orange Road is pretty much everything that anime would come to be in the ensuing years. It's among the most influential things in the medium and it was very popular in its day. The music is off-the-f-ing-charts. I'm not sure an anime ever had better music.

Don't you just love the nostalgia? That bubble-economy nostalgia? It's so wistful!

1. kimagure caprice
2. kimagure capricious
3. kimagure fickle
4. kimagure moody
5. kimagure whim
6. kimagure whimsy

This show invented Tsundere! 'a sudden and unaccountable change of mood or behavior.'

First of all, sorry for the very late reply, but nowadays MAL sends you notifications whenever someone quotes you, I believe? So maybe you'll see my reply.

Yeah ofc the 80s were like this, and me and many keep forgetting this. Then again I was born in 1990. That being said, I grew up watching some older stuff as well, like the 1987 TMNT cartoon for example(where do you think I got my username from?). And that series were 10 seasons, nearly 200 episodes of mostly the Turtles trying to beat Shredder and Krang. It dragged on and on. And ofc it was highly episodic and a bit repetitive at times. But it sure was fun for what it was.

Greatest anime of all time is a personal opinion of yours. I personally disagree, but I am a fan of the property and can see why it means a lot to some people. KOR definitely has charm.

It's been a while since the first time I watched the series and read the manga, but it was in 2008-2009 when I was 17-18 years old still and coming of age stories were still appealing and relatable to me. If I had only first watched/read this in my late 20s I'd probably not have enjoyed it as much.

Yes the music is great, I agree.

Can't have nostalgia for the 80s in particular since I was only born in 1990 haha.

Yes Madoka is by far the best part of the series. But wish we had known more about her delinquent past. It's like, at some point, the author just forgot about it.
Apr 3, 2019 5:53 AM

Dec 2016
Better MC, kasuga is nearly always the source of the episode problem, in general he just think too much about worthless detail and build himself the problem

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kimagure Orange Road Episode 48 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Oct 23, 2009

38 by patkarunungan »»
Apr 12, 4:18 AM

Poll: » Kimagure Orange Road Episode 47 Discussion

21 by patkarunungan »»
Apr 12, 3:40 AM

Poll: » Kimagure Orange Road Episode 46 Discussion

9 by patkarunungan »»
Apr 11, 10:50 PM

Poll: » Kimagure Orange Road Episode 45 Discussion

16 by patkarunungan »»
Apr 11, 9:22 PM

Poll: » Kimagure Orange Road Episode 44 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Oct 22, 2009

13 by patkarunungan »»
Apr 11, 5:29 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.