Forum Settings
Forums

Mini Game v1: Splatoon Mafia (Beginner's Mafia) | Game End | Mafia Wins!

New
Aug 28, 2015 2:28 PM

Oct 2011

[size=90][u]general rules[/u]
[spoiler]
  1. You are not allowed to use any external communications (PM/IRC/Instant Messengers/etc.) to discuss the game. Everything must be said in this thread. Octarians may communicate in their designated thread during the night phase.
  2. Once you are dead, you are allowed to keep posting casually. However you may NOT state anything that includes strategy or anything that generally affects gameplay. Limit all casual chat. That's what the chat threads/rooms are for. Failure to follow this rule will result DEATH. jk. Just don't do it.
  3. You can PM the game hostess of your concerns regarding the rules; if there are some changes you want or some clarifications you want to ask, ask it in PM. You are more than welcome to ask questions in the thread before the game officially starts. Afterwards, please PM it. Under beneficial circumstances, I'll notify the gamers of the question and answer. However, it's best to not ask role specific questions in the thread, since it could give your role away.
  4. Violations of the Site & Forum Guidelines will be dealt accordingly by one of our awesome attending moderators. Although the game hostess and MS staff are not MAL mods, they do reserve the right to police the game justly in accordance to MS standards.
[/spoiler][/list]
[size=90][b]game overview[/b]
[spoiler]
  1. There are two races/groups in the game: Inklings (Townies) and Octarians (Mafioso)
  2. Roughly 1/3 of the entire group will be selected (randomly) as Octarians. (i.e. 11 players; 3 Octarians)
  3. In order for the Inklings to win, all Octarians must be found and eliminated.
  4. In order for the Octarians to win, the Inklings must be equal or less than the Octarian population.
  5. There are two phases; day phase and night phase, which both ends after a maximum 24-hour period.
  6. The day phase will end at the end of the 24 hour period. With this in mind, the day phase CAN end before the 24 hour mark, but only if designated by the game hostess or a MS staff member.
  7. The night phase will end at the end of the 24 hour period unless designated differently by the game hostess or a MS staff member.
  8. Octarians are not able to discuss strategy in the secret club provided by the game hostess during day phases.
[/size]
[/spoiler]
[size=90][b]mentors[/b]

[/size][/color][/spoiler]

[size=90][b]lynching[/b]
[spoiler]
  1. Only available during the day, all the players can vote who they want to lynch. The lynch will commence at the end of the 24-hour period.
  2. Any player can change and/or remove their vote regardless of their role if the list isn’t closed yet.
  3. The first day's lynch is not required. However, the players must lynch someone starting on Day 2. Failure to comply means the game hostess will randomly choose who will die via Random Number Generator (RNG).
  4. If for some reason I am not online during the phase change, the Octarians will stop voting for the night phase, and the Inklings will stop voting for the day phase. No one is allowed to create any sort of private group. The game hostess will provide the Octarian/Mafia group. Attempting to create a private group, private message, instant message, snail mail, air mail, e-mail, smoke signal another player privately at any time will result in death.
[/size][/spoiler][/list]
[size=90][b]inactivity[/b]
[spoiler]There WILL be consequences for inactivity (day phase). A first phase of inactivity will result in a follow up via PM. A second phase will result in either replacement or death. For the night phase, if a bad guy does not participate in discussion or voting, the same terms and conditions will apply for both the main thread and the mafia thread. Good guys will not be required to post during the night time.[/size][/spoiler][/list]

[spoiler]
[color=#e4499a]1. sleepfulfish
2. Leafz_soul
3. VanityStar
4. 14leblanck
5. BetaKnight
6. cherushi-chan
7. Lycelra_
8. dragon_ball_z
9. lennah
10. lupadim
11. Switch-kun
[/color]
SorenSep 30, 2015 2:27 PM

Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Aug 28, 2015 2:29 PM

Oct 2011
I am sending out notifications via PM now.

Please change your settings (at least for now) that anyone can PM you. I cannot deliver your role if you have your messages set to private. Thanks!

MaiTaiAug 28, 2015 2:39 PM

Aug 28, 2015 2:35 PM

Oct 2011
I'd also like to announce SWITCH-KUN as the winner of the free forum or badge set. Please PM me with which one you'd rather have. I'll get it to you as soon as I am able. It will be Splatoon themed. nonnegotiable lol

Da Proof

MaiTaiAug 28, 2015 3:00 PM

Aug 28, 2015 7:00 PM

Oct 2011

[size=90][u]D A Y O N E[/u]
Callie (Soren): It's a beautiful day in Inkopolis! Let's Splat it up with our regula--
Marie (Lamb): Hold that thought, Marie. We just got word of something. SOMETHING BIG.
Callie: Oh, I know! A new Splatfest, right?
Marie: Seriously. Do you EVER check your Ink-Mail?
Callie: Er--Oh yeah. THAT. That really is SOMETHING BIG.
Marie: You betcha. So bad, we have to call in the troops for this one.
Callie: That's where YOU guys come in. The Octarian have invaded the city!
Marie: And we need YOUR help...because...y'know...we're retired and all.[/b]
Callie: *cough*

The highest ranked Inklings of the city gathered at the plaza to discuss their plan of action. However, something was off... Were they kids? Were they squids? Or were they...something else...

Day 01 has begun and will end 24 hours from this post. Everyone must post at least once this phase to be deemed active. However, a lynch is completely optional for this phase. Remember to cast your vote using the Vote: MaiTai format. If you decide to vote against a lynch, indicate it with Vote: No lynch. Good luck and staaay fresh!

Aug 28, 2015 7:16 PM

Jul 2013
Hello everyone, I am Soren, your mentor for this game. What this means is that I am here to teach you the game, how to play and what to do. If you have any questions at all feel free to ask me. What I can't do however, is give my own thoughts on the game, nor can I vote. What this means is that I can't tell you whether or not I think someone is mafia or if I think someone is town. That is up to you to work out, I am just here to guide your thoughts.

Starting off, it is day 1 of the game, this is where we begin the game and we have little to no information to work with. But that's the reason why, as town we've got to act and discuss. To break the ice, I would recommend that everyone place a vote, you don't need to have a reason behind your vote at this point, it's just good to place one so we can kick the game off, otherwise there wouldn't be much discussion forming. This stage of the game is also known as RVS stage, which stands for random voting stage. There's already a wiki article for this, which explains it better than me, I would advise everyone to read it as kicking the game off to spur on discussion is the most crucial part of the game, because discussion is the backbone of the game. RVS wiki page

Here are some useful links to learn about the game, read at your leisure ~
A Beginner's Guide to Being Awesome At mafia
Evolving your play
Common Problems in Mafia Games
A Guide To Focusing on Scum and Getting Them Lynched
How to Win Scum Games
Combating Apathy
SorenAug 28, 2015 7:23 PM
Aug 28, 2015 7:52 PM

Apr 2014
Hello ^^ Let's all have fun :D
Soren333 said:
To break the ice, I would recommend that everyone place a vote, you don't need to have a reason behind your vote at this point, it's just good to place one so we can kick the game off, otherwise there wouldn't be much discussion forming. This stage of the game is also known as RVS stage, which stands for random voting stage.

I don't know if I'll still be here later so...A random vote
Vote: Switch-kun
No, it's not because he won >.>
Aug 28, 2015 7:57 PM

Sep 2013
Hello~ Yall can call me sleepy or fish <' ) } }><

@Soren/Callie(?) that's A LOT of resources to go through ._.

Vote: Switch-kun Where's your luck now D:
Aug 28, 2015 8:01 PM

Feb 2015
Vote: Lupadim
RVS vote
cherushi-chan said:
I don't know if I'll still be here later so...A random vote
Vote: Switch-kun
No, it's not because he won >.>

If my name is not written on it, you may have it if you want.
You will be what you will to be.
Aug 28, 2015 8:04 PM

Feb 2015
sleepfulfish said:
Hello~ Yall can call me sleepy or fish <' ) } }><

Vote: Switch-kun Where's your luck now D:

lol, looks like it was a bad luck..
Aug 28, 2015 8:04 PM

Jul 2013
sleepfulfish said:
It's not required to read it all, just if you want to learn more about the game, that is a good place to start.
Aug 28, 2015 8:16 PM
Jul 2018
Hi guys!
Vote: Lycelra_
Random Vote ~

@ Soren333 if we have other questions about this mafia game who do we go to? MaiTai or the mentors? Do we pm or ask our questions here?
Aug 28, 2015 8:19 PM

Jul 2013
BetaKnight said:
@ Soren333 if we have other questions about this mafia game who do we go to? MaiTai or the mentors? Do we pm or ask our questions here?
If you have questions regarding your role or game rules I would suggest that you PM MaiTai. If you have questions about how to play, not understanding things etc, you can ask me or Lamby-Pyuru who is also your mentor.
Aug 28, 2015 8:24 PM
Jul 2018
@ Soren333 Ok thank you! just wanted to make sure if i have any questions in the future.

So is anyone else online right now?
Aug 28, 2015 8:24 PM

Jul 2015
vote:betaknight cause he voted randomly! ~random vote
Aug 28, 2015 8:32 PM
Jul 2018
Leafz_Soul said:

ok. :(
Aug 28, 2015 8:44 PM
Jul 2018
BetaKnight said:
Leafz_Soul said:

ok. :(

I have a question for you Leafz_Soul. Why me? when the others have random voted to?
Aug 28, 2015 8:45 PM

Jul 2015
Cause you didn't vote for switch-kun!
Aug 28, 2015 8:54 PM
Jul 2018
ok? but why do you want to vote switch - kun? He only won the prize...

Well I honestly only voted for Lycelra_ because she/he was last.

Unvote: Lycelra_
Aug 28, 2015 8:56 PM

Apr 2014
Switch-kun said:

If my name is not written on it, you may have it if you want.

Nah, I just can't think of other reasons.
Is this bribing? :O haha
Aug 28, 2015 8:57 PM

Apr 2014
BetaKnight said:
ok? but why do you want to vote switch - kun? He only won the prize...

Well I honestly only voted for Lycelra_ because she/he was last.

Unvote: Lycelra_
wow, you're easily swayed.
Aug 28, 2015 8:57 PM

Jul 2015
I don't have a reaso, I mean im waiting for atleast day 2 before I start to play more seriously

unvote: BetaKnight
Aug 28, 2015 8:58 PM

Jul 2015
Hmm I will vote in 1 hour... I will not unvote that one
Aug 28, 2015 10:27 PM

Jul 2015
vote:cherushi-senpai, this is mainly because of the saying a guilty dog barks first.this is mostly random still :P
Aug 29, 2015 4:41 AM

Sep 2012
Leafz_Soul said:
I don't have a reaso, I mean im waiting for atleast day 2 before I start to play more seriously

unvote: BetaKnight

Just thought I'd put it out there that Day 1 is just as important as any other day, if not more so.
Even if you do not happen to pick up on scum right off the bat, it usually acts as a good way to pick up on stronger town-aligned intentions.
Finding one before having to rely on the night phase itself is also a good way to pick up on reactions you would have otherwise missed, which in many situations can be a dead give-away and spiral out of control and for the Mafia's hand and even get them to sacrifice their own or fall back on to desperate moves.

Having pressure will always give town the upper-hand in the flow of information and the game itself.
You should never leave a day phase up to someone who you can't trust, which in most cases will be anyone but yourself. ( Giving away a single phase usually costs an ally and at least the following night phase, if not more )
Which always has the possibility of deciding the entire game.
Aug 29, 2015 5:00 AM
Jan 2015
Morning everyone ^_^ or morning for me, at least

Vote: lennah

Mostly voting since he / she hasn't posted yet. Trying to see if it will bring them out and get them to play.

----------------------------------------

Soren and Lamby, I have a question for you guys. What do you two think about day one lynching? I know there's always been a battle about whether it's good or not. It's mostly said that it can help townies, but of course there is always a risk that a townie will be lynched, seeing as how it is day one and information is still being gathered. I've seen people argue about it both ways in a few other games I've played, so I was just curious as to what you two would suggest.
Aug 29, 2015 5:01 AM

Nov 2013
Hi^^
Vote: cherushi-chan A random vote~
Aug 29, 2015 5:03 AM

Nov 2013
dragon_ball_z said:

Mostly voting since he / she hasn't posted yet. Trying to see if it will bring them out and get them to play.

I wish I had been faster :D
Aug 29, 2015 5:05 AM
Jan 2015
lennah said:
I wish I had been faster :D

Lol rotten luck there, but at least you are here now! So Unvote: lennah

Vote: VanityStar

Going for another person that hasn't posted yet to see if it will bring him / her out.
Aug 29, 2015 5:12 AM

Sep 2012
dragon_ball_z said:
Morning everyone ^_^ or morning for me, at least

----------------------------------------

Soren and Lamby, I have a question for you guys. What do you two think about day one lynching? I know there's always been a battle about whether it's good or not. It's mostly said that it can help townies, but of course there is always a risk that a townie will be lynched, seeing as how it is day one and information is still being gathered. I've seen people argue about it both ways in a few other games I've played, so I was just curious as to what you two would suggest.

No matter what the results of the lynch are, information is information... you will be able to get a clearer view on most of the players partaking in said lynch and the discussion surrounding it.
So you can typically clear numerous names, even in a "bad" lynch and it just narrows things down and will have a positive impact later down the track.

Also think of it this way:
If not the first day, you will run into a very similar situation Day 3 and onwards.... which is just giving a 2 phase advantage away.
Day 1 lynched always have their benefit, you just have to take everything you can from it instead of letting it go to waste and get you down.

Note: I may have something to add here in the near future, but I will get a second opinion or check with the host to see that it is fine I mention/reference something specific.

Edit:
tl;dr - Lynching is usually the only way to win as town.
It is your strongest weapon, if you don't use it, Mafia will.
LambtronAug 29, 2015 5:15 AM
Aug 29, 2015 5:23 AM

Nov 2013
dragon_ball_z said:

Going for another person that hasn't posted yet to see if it will bring him / her out.

I'm sure that person will be here shortly. She/he will feel the pressure really soon :D *speaking from experience*
Aug 29, 2015 6:36 AM

Feb 2015
lennah said:
dragon_ball_z said:

I'm sure that person will be here shortly. She/he will feel the pressure really soon :D *speaking from experience*

*continuously waiting*
Aug 29, 2015 6:44 AM

Nov 2013
Switch-kun said:
lennah said:

*continuously waiting*

VanityStar is fearless :D
Aug 29, 2015 6:56 AM

Feb 2015
Chances are that I'll get lynched during the day but if, by any chance, I survive the lynch, the mafia will kill me at night because I won the forum set/badge... Then you know who the mafia is (I cut it so that mafia could not read it) Anyways, I won the lottery... So, yay, I guess..
Aug 29, 2015 6:56 AM

Jul 2015
If vanity is a townie she has nothing to fear(though she will be getting that warning sioon). If she would be feeling the pressure that means she is mafia, the only way for someone to know that is if they where mafia...(I just woke up so my thought train is broke)
Aug 29, 2015 7:07 AM

Aug 2012
We're at a big disadvantage this game. Usually, the town has two special roles to help (cop and doctor), but here we got no one to aid us.

Either way:

vote: dragon_ball_z

Hunting inactive players is like, one of the oldest tricks in the mafia book. It's very easy to press on those players because they can't defend themselves. And that's exactly what you are doing.
Aug 29, 2015 7:14 AM

Jul 2015
Good idea, I'll stick with my vote for now... Until my Brain works in full force.
Aug 29, 2015 7:16 AM
Jan 2015
lupadim said:
We're at a big disadvantage this game. Usually, the town has two special roles to help (cop and doctor), but here we got no one to aid us.

Either way:

Hunting inactive players is like, one of the oldest tricks in the mafia book. It's very easy to press on those players because they can't defend themselves. And that's exactly what you are doing.

So how is voting for inactive players one of the oldest tricks in the mafia book? In the 3 games I've played, mafia ended up being the most inactive players because they were too afraid to post in fear that people would be able to easily pick them out. So they just lurked instead.
Aug 29, 2015 7:17 AM

Sep 2013
I feel so inexperienced >.< I have no idea how to really get into the game and play (to suspect and ask questions and all) *goes to read other ongoing mafia games*
Aug 29, 2015 7:22 AM

Jul 2015
dragon_ball_z said:
lupadim said:

Either way:

So how is voting for inactive players one of the oldest tricks in the mafia book? In the 3 games I've played, mafia ended up being the most inactive players because they were too afraid to post in fear that people would be able to easily pick them out. So they just lurked instead.

This means that you are posting more to try and hide among the townies so that it is easy to keep from being suspected. Quite a good idea. Also you are heavily trying to prove your not, that makes you more suspicious...
Aug 29, 2015 7:27 AM
Jan 2015
Leafz_Soul said:
This means that you are posting more to try and hide among the townies so that it is easy to keep from being suspected. Quite a good idea. Also you are heavily trying to prove your not, that makes you more suspicious...

When I'm a townie, I post a lot. That's just how I play. If people don't post, then you can't get a read on them. If posting a lot and trying to get reads on people makes me look suspicious, then oh well. I'm just trying to hunt scum ^_^
Aug 29, 2015 7:31 AM

Sep 2013
Can I clarify some things?

For lynching, the person with the most votes gets lynched even if only one person voted? As in only person A votes and the rest do not, does the person person A voted get lynched?

For phases, both phases are 24 hours each or are both within the same 24 hours? Can we still post here in the night phase?

Aug 2012
dragon_ball_z said:
lupadim said:

Either way:

By doing differently from the mafia stereotype that you have in mind, you pretty much admitted (indirectly) that you're mafia this game. Lmao

Jul 2015
And that makes you even more suspicious...

unvote:cherushi-senpai
vote:dragon_ball_z

------------------------------
I am super suspicious of this player. The way he reacts makes him a clear target. I wouldn't tell anyone my alignment ever, that would either make me suspicious or an easy target. Note: I'm still half asleep. I need coffee
Aug 29, 2015 7:52 AM
Jan 2015
I don't really understand how I'm suspicious just because I've made a few posts and I'm trying to get reads on people to find scum.

Also I'm a she, not a he.
Aug 29, 2015 9:02 AM

May 2014
Hai hai people. I'm sorry I was out with a friend until now.
So yeah. Hopefully we'll enjoy ourselvesc: and time zones always confuse me but that's a secret

Placing my vote based on this.

BU / / / / / dev
Aug 29, 2015 9:16 AM

Sep 2012
sleepfulfish said:
I feel so inexperienced >.< I have no idea how to really get into the game and play (to suspect and ask questions and all) *goes to read other ongoing mafia games*

This is a little time consuming and there isn't a lot in terms of "ongoing" at this exact point in time with a couple finishing up not long ago. Though we should have another starting up very soon, however for obious reasons you wont be able to use day 1 from that one as an example.
But I would highly suggest taking a look at some past games, possibly the more recent few if anything ( Soren could probably provide better suggestions though )

This game in particular, even with a bit off a mess, had an amazing start/Day 1.
We were able to pick up on about 4... possibly more viable town reads and pick out 3/5 Mafia members before the end of the first phase.
We also went on to just pick out even more and have a really dominant presence and gave no room for Mafia to sneak through the cracks or go un-punished as we simply had good enough a grasp to control most of the games flow.

X-men Mafia
Sorry if this post and or link are a bit much for now.
Aug 29, 2015 9:22 AM

Oct 2011
Morning all!
I am on mobile for the weekend so be patient with me. It seems like you all are off to an active start. Your mentors are more than capable to help out, but if you have an issue with that or any questions beyond gameplay, you can PM me. I will answer you ASAP. Thanks!

Ignore any weird wording or typos as this was sent via iPhone.
MaiTaiAug 29, 2015 9:31 AM

Aug 29, 2015 9:38 AM

May 2014
Morning, though I guess it's evening for most of you.
Based on the statistics.
Vote: no lynch
But I suspect lupadim, and BetaKnight, at the moment.
Aug 29, 2015 9:47 AM

Jul 2013
dragon_ball_z said:
Thank you for the question, I shall explain why I think Day 1 lynching is advantageous over no lynching on day 1.

It is a common debate on day 1 in mafia society and in other mafia games around MAL, about whether or not we should lynch on day 1. The argument is between those that are pro day 1 lynch, and those that are against day 1 lynching.

Let me focus on the players who are against day 1 lynching. This is how they argue:
Premise 1 - There are more townies than mafia at the start of the game, therefore on day 1, if we random lynch there is a higher chance of lynching townie than mafia.
Premise 2 - We do not want to lynch a townie.
Conclusion - Therefore, we should not lynch on day 1.

There appears to be some logic behind this as to why it is disadvantageous to lynch on day 1. But here's why this argument doesn't work.
First off, let's take a look at premise 1. Here it assumes that town will be basing a lynch solely on randomness. Here two assumptions are made, the first being that the reason behind every vote is that it is entirely random, and secondly, they assume that the entire day 1 will be spent on just random lynching. But this is not the case. They assume this because they do not understand that there is a purpose behind random lynching. Random lynching should only last for about 10% - 50% of the first day phase. The remaining time of that day phase, should be spent on looking at all the posts and votes that has been made so far, and beginning to form reads (reads = whether you think someone is aligned with town or mafia) and suspect people of being mafia for being suspicious. The purpose of random lynching is explained much more clearly in the RVS wiki link that I already provided, which I strongly recommend everyone to read. But I will quote one thing from it:
RVS said:
Note that truly random voting, is strictly frowned upon. A vote that is demonstrably random carries no motivation to be read into, and is completely informationless. This is not the intent of the "random voting stage".

The most important part of this quote is the last sentence. The intent of RVS is not to just throw random votes and be done with that. It's to understand whether someone's vote is truly random. And to also see what reactions or responses that arises from these votes. The point of RVS is to progress the game until someone has placed a serious vote, and from there the game progresses onwards.

Now, taking a look at the rest of the argument. Premise 2 is solid, but conveys a protective perspective as oppose to a combative approach. Because "we do not want to lynch a townie" seems to imply that we shouldn't lynch at all. But the idea behind lynching is to lynch a mafia. Lynching is also the only way to get rid of mafias in this game (even more so in this setup because there are no town killing power roles, such as a vigilante). Therefore, lynching is town's strongest weapon against the mafia and should be used to its fullest extent. The mafia will try to manipulate town's tool of lynching in the mafia's favor, as mafia's also possesses the ability to vote. Therefore, it is also the town's duty to discern what motivation is behind a vote that someone has placed.

Now when we take a look at the conclusion that it draws, not lynching on day 1. RVS is to progress the game, the intent behind it is to not end up random lynching someone, but as it drags on, a serious vote and serious accusations will follow. Players that are against day 1 lynching, do not progress the game at all. They propose that day 1 lynching is bad, but do not do anything else that would progress the game, and they end up lurking in the game. That is completely anti-town. Even more so in this game, because the setup of this game does not have any power roles what so ever (power roles such as cop [can check if someone is town or mafia in the night] and doctor [can protect someone from being killed in the night]).

This is another argument that people who are against day 1 lynches make.
Premise 1 - We do not want to risk getting a townie lynched.
Premise 2 - We should wait for night 1 to past, and hope that we can gain some information from that.
Conclusion - This is the safest approach as we do not accidentally lynch a townie, and we will gain information after night 1.

Looking at premise 1, my response to it is the same as my response to premise 2 from the first argument, so I won't go into this again.

Now premise 2 is where wishful thinking comes into play. What happens in night 1? A townie will get killed in the night. Power roles can use their ability, and might gain some useful information (there are no power roles in this setup, so this part doesn't apply to this particular game, but it is important to note this for future games). So day 2 arrives, and where are we at. A townie died, and power roles might or might not have gained information. We learn almost nothing from a townie dieing, many speculate as to who would kill this townie, but it eventually proves to be fruitless to guess who would have killed this townie, because there are multiple mafias and guessing their actions are almost pointless because there is hardly any strong basis behind it. Now, power roles may have gained some information, and if that information involves the possible identity of a mafia, then they should reveal it. But more often than not, power roles do not gain any conclusive information from night 1. And especially in this game, there are no power roles for us to rely on. It is this reliance on power roles that we should avoid to do. This is something that I often hear, "I don't suspect anyone right now, so I'm just going to wait until the cop gets a mafia or something". This goes back to my initial point at the start about wishful thinking. They rely on the cop, as oppose to their own ability to discuss and discern people's alignment on their own. Especially when there is no guarantee at all that the cop will find a mafia, and when the cop could get killed by the mafia. Townies should not depend on other roles, since there is no guarantee of information and those roles are not within their own control. Townies should focus on what they are in control of, which is their own actions, such as discussion, accusing, pushing lynches and voting. Each of these should be used to their fullest extent.

Going back to random lynching. Players against day 1 lynches are too afraid of the risk of lynching a town and end up doing nothing, and now they place so much reliance on power roles, that when power roles do not provide them with any information, they are at a loss at what to do. This kind of play should be avoided at all cost. There is so much that can be achieved through discussion alone. Analyzing whether someone's push on another player is scummy (scum = mafia, scummy = acting like a mafia), looking at player interactions to discern alignment, whether someone's actions are pro town or anti town, whether someone hasn't been interacting with another player to create distance between them because they are mafia buddies, and so on.

So, I've rambled on a fair bit, so let me just summarize everything with a pros and cons list.

No lynch on day 1
Pros:
- You avoid the risk of lynching a townie (but arguably, this can be a con)

Cons:
- No progression made to the game, day 1 is wasted.
- Doesn't make use of the chance that a mafia can be lynched
- When day 2 arrives, a townie will be dead, there are no power roles so no information is gained in the night, and you are put back in the same position which you were in on day 1. So will you just no lynch again?

Day 1 lynch:
Pros:
- Kicks the game off, eventually someone will place a serious vote
- Lynches forms wagons and counter wagons, which are informative
- Player interactions can be analysed here
- Reads can be formed based on player's opinions and reactions
- A mafia can be lynched

Cons:
- It is possible that a townie will be lynched (but even if a townie is lynched, you will have gained a wealthy amount of information to work with for day 2)

I ended up writing a lengthy post behind this, so if there was anything that you didn't understand, then feel free to ask me about it.
Also, here is very good discussion topic on voting which is worth a read through.
Aug 29, 2015 9:57 AM

Jul 2013
sleepfulfish said:
One thing that an inexperience player can start by doing, is to comment on what is going on in the game.
For example, what are your thoughts on the current accusation found in post 39 and post 42.
Do you think someone there is right or wrong? Do you agree with what they say? Any other thoughts?
sleepfulfish said:
For lynching, the person with the most votes gets lynched even if only one person voted? As in only person A votes and the rest do not, does the person person A voted get lynched?
Yes, the person with the most votes will get lynched.
Yes, the person that person A voted for will get lynched in that scenario.
sleepfulfish said:
For phases, both phases are 24 hours each or are both within the same 24 hours? Can we still post here in the night phase?
Day and night phases are 24 hours each. You can still post here in the night phase.
14leblanck said:
Morning, though I guess it's evening for most of you.
Based on the statistics.
Vote: no lynch
But I suspect lupadim, and BetaKnight, at the moment.
I would encourage you to vote for the people that you suspect to progress your suspicion on them. And you should also explain the reason why you suspect them.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» [GAME] (* ̄・ ̄)ノ Count to 30 Before a Slightly Inebriated Staff Member Posts! v4 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Togs - Jul 2, 2017

2866 by fausifahrial »»
Nov 7, 2023 9:07 AM

» [GAME] Last Letter Game ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

grave_robber - Sep 9, 2014

8750 by fausifahrial »»
Nov 7, 2023 9:06 AM

» Count To 7777 V3 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Lambtron - May 15, 2018

1159 by fausifahrial »»
Nov 7, 2023 9:06 AM

» [GAME] Say something about the person above you ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Haine - Jul 19, 2014

3810 by Zymf »»
Jun 19, 2023 2:43 PM

» [GAME] Truth or dare (ToD) 2.0 [Round 5] ( 1 2 )

Lambtron - Mar 12, 2019

92 by Zymf »»
Jun 18, 2023 12:09 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.