Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Overlord (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Aug 27, 2015 4:54 AM

Jan 2015
Is this show is actually good or overrated?

Mod Edit: moved from general Anime Discussion, spoiler warning added to title.
rodacAug 27, 2015 5:35 PM
Rance X is A GOAT.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 27, 2015 4:57 AM
Jul 2018
Overrated,I'd say.

Nice OP/ED song.

Otherwise...bleh.
Albedo is damn creepy.
Aug 27, 2015 4:58 AM
May 2009
I am reading the manga right now.
When it finishes airring I can't wait to watch it.
Aug 27, 2015 5:05 AM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
It's good, one of my favorites this season.
Momon has pretty cool design, both in his original form and in his full-plate form
Thought it was just SAO and log horizon clone, but it's not. It's very good in it's own way.

Although Albedo is creepy as heck

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Aug 27, 2015 5:07 AM

Jul 2014
Euphemistic said:
Albedo is damn creepy.
RayAdha said:
Although Albedo is creepy as heck

No. She's cute as fuck.
Aug 27, 2015 5:18 AM

Jul 2013
Just another anime that circlejerks its gary stu MC just like SAO or Mahouka. I still enjoy it though.
Aug 27, 2015 5:23 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
shintai88 said:
I am reading the manga right now.
When it finishes airring I can't wait to watch it.
It's a light novel originally fyi

Well anyway the first two episodes were pretty meh but ever since then I think it's gotten really good. One of very few times I've seen an overpowered MC who doesn't feel forced in terms of writing. He's actually a pretty interesting guy

It's also got
that's more than enough of a reason to watch it
rodacAug 27, 2015 5:34 PM
Aug 27, 2015 5:23 AM
Sep 2014
The most boring thing ever
Aug 27, 2015 5:39 AM

Jun 2014
It's fine but nothing extravagant. The sales are improving so we may get another season as the first couple of episodes aren't the best from what I've seen.
All credit goes to Sacred.
Aug 27, 2015 5:44 AM

Jan 2009
Well I like it quite a bit.
Atleast I don't have to deal with the MC bitching and whining all the time

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Aug 27, 2015 6:03 AM

Jan 2013
_Peksi said:
Well I like it quite a bit.
Atleast I don't have to deal with the MC bitching and whining all the time

ty, i knew something was missing but i could not put my finger on it
Aug 27, 2015 6:04 AM

Nov 2009
The gap between the "player's" internal thoughts and the majestic behavior of the undead Overlord is really entertaining.
It is also interesting to see if he will become an evil tyrant.
But the best part is that the MC is careful. That's a really rare thing in anime.
Aug 27, 2015 6:24 AM

Mar 2015
anime look skipped too many content. look like i will try manga. manga adaptation usualy justfy with original source.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Aug 27, 2015 6:29 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
absentminded said:
anime look skipped too many content. look like i will try manga. manga adaptation usualy justfy with original source.
err idk about that

Manga adaptations of light novels are generally faithful yes, but they're always waaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy behind in terms of content. Like unbelievably behind. They're essentially never worth reading unless you've already read the light novel
Aug 27, 2015 6:37 AM

Aug 2014
The first time when I watched Overlord, it seems so-so for me.
But once I read the light novel I'd say it is very satisfying.
Your taste in Anime is shit.

Because you can't differentiate between what's good and bad.

How sad.
Aug 27, 2015 6:37 AM

Mar 2015
HaXXspetten said:
absentminded said:
err idk about that

Manga adaptations of light novels are generally faithful yes, but they're always waaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy behind in terms of content. Like unbelievably behind. They're essentially never worth reading unless you've already read the light novel
yeah, i admit it. some manga just get some chapter when even novel already finish even they start together. recently i read dou pou cang qiong, the novel already ended 2 years ago, when manga is not even come to 1/5 of original souce. they start only with 3 mounth gap. manga is slowest medium i ever know. even game are faster. but at least their content are almost guaranteed to be justify.

i am only read novel if it's not adapted in anyform and it's actually continuation of any series i ever watch. the problem for LN/novel/VN is there are no leechers site for spesific of them. must find it one by one in baka updates.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Aug 27, 2015 6:42 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
absentminded said:
HaXXspetten said:
err idk about that

yeah, i admit it. some manga just get some chapter when even novel already finish even they start together. recently i read dou pou cang qiong, the novel already ended 2 years ago, when manga is not even come to 1/5 of original souce. they start only with 3 mounth gap. manga is slowest medium i ever know. even game are faster. but at least their content are almost guaranteed to be justify.

i am only read novel if it's not adapted in anyform and it's actually continuation of any series i ever watch. the problem for LN/novel/VN is there are no leechers site for spesific of them. must find it one by one in baka updates.
Say what now? There are plenty of sites to download LNs and VNs from..
Aug 27, 2015 6:47 AM

Aug 2014
It's one of this seasons best shows imo, slow start but gets better from ep 3 and onwards.
Aug 27, 2015 6:48 AM

Mar 2015
HaXXspetten said:
absentminded said:

Say what now? There are plenty of sites to download LNs and VNs from..
not in my country (fucking site block). even kickass get blocked. now i am used anonymox, but still, already too lazy to find them. and the speed are so slow if i active it. so i prefer site that not blocked. even manga leechers site that i only usually acces is only 3 site.
Aug 27, 2015 8:10 AM

Sep 2013
barthos said:

People are just butthurt it's better and sells more than rokka and gate XD

The pacing is fine, it's the action junkies btching as usual.
It is meticulous and may seem pointless but it all falls into place, nothing is wasted.
The mc may seem overpowered but it's just because the big players haven't shown themselves yet.
He's not a genius and makes mistakes, so no gary stu like these fools are saying.
Aug 27, 2015 8:18 AM

Sep 2013
Godhood said:
Overlord is the biggest trash I've ever seen, even worse than SAO

@barthos, you see the blind hate?
It's cause they hate the success XD
Aug 27, 2015 8:27 AM

Aug 2015
I like it :(

I mean it's a cartoon, not like I'm expecting some miracle mind blowing experience. The artwork is good, plot is okay enough for kids and it is fun to watch.

and yeah, I use my avatar from the show
Aug 27, 2015 8:30 AM

Jan 2013
I thought it was great in the beginning. I liked it because it was the only game adaptation I'd watched to start so good. The episode two was also on par with 1 in terms of quality. I thought i was going to like this anime however it became uninteresting to me, don't know why. Slow pacing, boring supporting characters and there's no tension in fights. Animation is great though but they should lay down on CGI (ffs)
Aug 27, 2015 8:37 AM

Aug 2014
ichii_1 said:
barthos said:

People are just butthurt it's better and sells more than rokka and gate XD

The pacing is fine, it's the action junkies btching as usual.
It is meticulous and may seem pointless but it all falls into place, nothing is wasted.
The mc may seem overpowered but it's just because the big players haven't shown themselves yet.
He's not a genius and makes mistakes, so no gary stu like these fools are saying.
Sums up everything.
Your taste in Anime is shit.

Because you can't differentiate between what's good and bad.

How sad.
Aug 27, 2015 8:45 AM

Nov 2011
Its not any good at all, I dunno why people would praise this show. Momonga is like the most boring OP MC I have ever seen yet. There isn't any good characters whatsoever. I already halfway through the show and nothing have changed. I don't care what you guys think about the LN but the anime right now is a total bore.

Aug 27, 2015 8:47 AM

Apr 2015
6/10
Aug 27, 2015 9:02 AM

Nov 2014
Its interesting but need much more episodes
Aug 27, 2015 10:01 AM
▬▬ι═══════ﺤ

Feb 2012
It's not exactly bad, but...

JohnnyBme said:
The most boring thing ever
"There is nothing outside of yourself that enables you to get better. Everything is within. Seek nothing outside of yourself." ⛩️

Aug 27, 2015 10:48 AM

Aug 2013
The story and pacing is alright, enough to keep me entertained. But I don't find Momonga to be that interesting of a main character (only at episode 5 right now) and I find a lot of the main female characters, such as Albedo, to be unbelievably annoying. The only female character I can stand is the little elf girl.
Aug 27, 2015 10:50 AM

Feb 2015
I didn't like the first episode at all, but I've heard it get a fair amount of praise so I'm hopeful about future episodes, I need to catch up on it.
Aug 27, 2015 10:54 AM

Apr 2015
TheRefractingOne said:
I didn't like the first episode at all, but I've heard it get a fair amount of praise so I'm hopeful about future episodes, I need to catch up on it.

Don't get your hopes up.
Aug 27, 2015 10:58 AM
Jun 2015
It is just another Harem King light novel adaptation. They are like a dime a dozen and 3-5 are being adapted next season. If people enjoy light novel advertisements that is fine, but I am not going to bother watching something that doesn't have any sort of closure.
Aug 27, 2015 11:02 AM
Mar 2014
I think it is decent so far.
Aug 27, 2015 11:04 AM

Jan 2014
1st min drop
Aug 27, 2015 11:26 AM

Sep 2014
It's nice.

-The MC is maybe overpower but at least, he's cunning, calm, serious and he's not a freaking typical J-Fantasy good-looking one.
-The fact we follow "evil", "monster" viewpoint for once in a fantasy universe interests me as hell.
-The pacing is ok. I don't mind "slow" one. I rather prefer the show takes his time than go too fast.
-Not a big fan of Albedo, Shalltear and Clementine because I realy don't like over-the-top crazy Yande girls, but here, they don't bother me as far as those psycho-annoying-bitches who are Rori Mercury, Yuno and co.
-I don't like the Opening and I even don't remember the Ending.
-The things who annoy me are the MMo terms everywhere with Engrish accent.

Anyway, It's a show I find pleasant to watch.
Aug 27, 2015 11:30 AM
Aug 2015
It's good, and it's already succesfull in promoting the LN, people just butthurt...
Aug 27, 2015 3:54 PM

Aug 2011
I found Overlord pretty boring and empty. The uninteresting characters and plot don't ever make me come back to it.
Aug 27, 2015 4:04 PM
Mar 2014
Grisaille said:
The first time when I watched Overlord, it seems so-so for me.
But once I read the light novel I'd say it is very satisfying.

It seemed decent at first to me, I didn't really have any complaints. But yeah, I only started really liking it after reading the LNs. Probably would've ended up liking it either though, way since the episodes coming out right now are pretty good.
omfgplzstopAug 27, 2015 4:09 PM
Rinth said:
Every opinion is not equal. Some opinions are simply made out of shit.

nasuverse > your favorite anime
Aug 27, 2015 4:18 PM

Jun 2015
It's alright. One of the better anime this season, if nothing spectacular. Protagonist as a villain is refreshing, and I love the OP, but I don't find it that interesting beyond that.
Aug 27, 2015 4:24 PM

Apr 2013
It's slow as shit.
Aug 27, 2015 4:29 PM

Nov 2014
It's another average Anime. Nothing stands out to me.
Aug 27, 2015 4:30 PM
Aug 2015
its pretty good
the main character ain't no bitch
Aug 27, 2015 4:38 PM
Apr 2015
As long as it delivers action scenes with solid animation I will be content.^^
Aug 27, 2015 5:24 PM

Jan 2011
Mod Note: moved from general Anime Discussion and cleaned.
rodacAug 27, 2015 5:32 PM
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Aug 27, 2015 6:33 PM

Apr 2014
better than SAO.
Aug 27, 2015 7:07 PM

Jul 2008
"The mc may seem overpowered but it's just because the big players haven't shown themselves yet."

Untagged spoilers!!!

Apparently, NOBODY should keep their hopes up. Players getting to this world seems to be a regular occurrence over a few centuries (the Dragonlords/Demon Kings of old apparently, I don't remember the exact names though LOL). But they're level 60 at best. We get to read up on three level 60s in the latest volume...

The strongest not-from-game character got to level 85 by virtue of also becoming a vampire.

Nazarick is the first time it brought a location along with it...and a player that's level 100, with level 100 NPCs.

Action scenes: Well there's the Clementine fight, then the final arc of this season. There will be even more action in the second season.
entropy13Aug 27, 2015 7:13 PM
Aug 27, 2015 7:10 PM

Jun 2015
I'm pretty sure Momonga is MEANT to be OP.
Aug 27, 2015 7:24 PM

Aug 2015
I'd say anime is decent. If you don't mind the pacing or shenanigans that some the characters do, then you'll enjoy the anime for what it is. Sadly the series suffers for being only 13 episodes long. The original source material is a light novel that currently has 9 volumes and still ongoing. A light novel that has slower pacing than the anime and spends the first 2 volumes being almost nothing but setup for future events. The anime is almost but done covering those 2 volumes within the span of 9 episodes and will sadly not be any sort of payoff by the end. Unless the anime get's a second season, I don't think many people are going to end up with a good impression of the series. Which is even sadder, because the series does get better. So if you like the idea of an over powered MC that isn't bound by moral values the most MC have and has a layer filled with evil loyal monsters at as command, but also goes on an adventure with a giant hamster then you'll might enjoy the anime. If you want a better experience, with more in depth characterization, world building, and exciting arcs that won't be covered by the show, then try reading the light novel.

In all honesty I'm just grateful that this series got an anime adaption. It's been my favorite LN for that past 9 months and my love for the series has only grown over those months. I'm glad that not everyone hates it and I'm glad people picked up the light novel from what I've seen in recent sales. And even though I find faults with the anime, I still find it very much enjoyable. I'm sad that it isn't longer.
Sep 4, 2015 5:04 PM

May 2013
ichii_1 said:
Godhood said:
Overlord is the biggest trash I've ever seen, even worse than SAO

@barthos, you see the blind hate?
It's cause they hate the success XD

It's unfair and apathetic to believe people that dislike the show do it off of blind hate; the show is genuinely either amazing for some, or crap to others because of the slow pacing. Even I find it average simply because it doesn't cater to my tastes. If you attribute "goodness" to sales, then shows like SAO are theoretically better, though I doubt that's the case.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Overlord Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 8, 2015

282 by Raphaela28 »»
Today, 4:31 AM

Poll: » Overlord Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 7, 2015

368 by mustiest »»
Apr 17, 8:09 PM

» Why do people compare this show to SAO? ( 1 2 )

arc1only - Jan 8

58 by Reevansingh21 »»
Mar 31, 3:47 PM

Poll: » Overlord Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 29, 2015

431 by C0ST4 »»
Mar 29, 7:51 AM

» Why is shalltear stronger than Ainz??

SkyVongolaPrimo - Oct 20, 2015

16 by janreycampo »»
Mar 27, 10:22 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.