Forum Settings
Forums

What anime has the ugliest character designs and why do you think so?

New
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Aug 22, 2015 7:32 AM

Apr 2014
Euphemistic said:
I would also like to add...

She's actually pretty well designed, just oversized breasts.
Aug 22, 2015 7:32 AM

Dec 2013
vodall said:

mononoke has not only the worst character designs, but the overall shittiest artstyle I've ever seen. it's so caught up in looking CoOlL and UnIqUe that it doesn't realize how ugly it is. every frame seriously looks like some 13 year old took a parchment texture off google images and copy pasted it on top, setting the blending mode to overlay. it's the prime example of 'stylization only goes so far'.

i'd be willing to forgive how bad the rest of the anime is if not for the visuals.

nc beit
Aug 22, 2015 8:05 AM

Mar 2014
90% of 2002-2005's

Aug 22, 2015 8:11 AM

Apr 2011
vodall said:

mononoke has not only the worst character designs, but the overall shittiest artstyle I've ever seen. it's so caught up in looking CoOlL and UnIqUe that it doesn't realize how ugly it is. every frame seriously looks like some 13 year old took a parchment texture off google images and copy pasted it on top, setting the blending mode to overlay. it's the prime example of 'stylization only goes so far'.

i'd be willing to forgive how bad the rest of the anime is if not for the visuals.

So that's Mononoke.... and here I was wondering what on Earth Mononoke was. Also, I think it looks somewhat stylish actually.

On to the topic, I'll add Bayonetta. It's not horrible per say, but rather the inconsistent proportions just make it look terrible, added with the utterly terrible 3DCG. I'll quote my review on it for a better explanation:
My said:
The character designs themselves are something to write home about. Bayonetta's legs alone are taller than the remainder of her body. This can be jarring as the children are drawn to normal proportions. The striking example would be when Cereza and Bayonetta are standing next to each other and Cereza is barely tall enough to reach Bayonetta's knees. This is especially jarring considering later revelations in the movie.
Aug 22, 2015 8:18 AM

Nov 2011
blueghost_66 said:
90% of 2002-2005's
Why those specific 4 years?
Aug 22, 2015 8:32 AM

Mar 2015
Waifu_Strangler said:
blueghost_66 said:
90% of 2002-2005's
Why those specific 4 years?
look at kanon/air. clanned is nothing compare to this.

i will also add round face type. they look lazy to me.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Aug 22, 2015 8:41 AM

Dec 2012
From recent memory Sukitte Ii na yo. My god...

Aug 22, 2015 2:02 PM

Jul 2015
i love this thread......
Aug 23, 2015 10:54 AM

Feb 2013
vodall said:

The issue with Mononoke is that the style is pretty awesome but the actual animation is cheap as shit.
Aug 23, 2015 11:06 AM

Oct 2008
darkholy said:
From recent memory Sukitte Ii na yo. My god...

[img]http://otaku.pl/newsimg/1391443098.jpg[/mg]

That mohawk dude in it just made me want to slap myself at how pure pandering he was...
Aug 23, 2015 11:12 AM

Apr 2015
Most of the characters from monster looked scary, other than johan and anna
Aug 23, 2015 11:29 AM

Apr 2015
over oppai and stupid oppai and butt physics
Aug 23, 2015 11:31 AM

Jan 2015
80-90% of 1996-2003 stuff ... and this guy....

KonteAug 23, 2015 11:39 AM
Aug 23, 2015 11:44 AM

Nov 2012
Haven't read all replies, and i didn't see Bokura ga ita
Bokura ga ita's animation/art was worse than xxxholic
Aug 23, 2015 12:23 PM

Jul 2015
SuperRed said:
XXXHolic

wow
Aug 23, 2015 1:16 PM

Jul 2013
So I decided to check out the first few minutes from XXXholic

Yes the bodies are at times ridiculous long and I wouldn't call it the best or anything (though Yuuko looks better imho than most anime girls/women) but if that's the worst anime got to offer then I'm actually a bit disappointed.

O well personally I haven't really seen anything from which I would really say damn this shit looks ugly (if you don't count shorts). Some character designs do annoy me, like those from Ookami Kakushi, but I guess that's more because I just really dislike each and everyone in that show. The only character designs that I disliked from a show that I actually like are those from Tokyo Magnitude. It's not like they're unwatchable, but they just felt unfinished or something.
Aug 24, 2015 8:08 AM

Apr 2015
Just out of what I've seen, Shiki has the worst. The characters are just SO UGLY. And the hair, dear god, the hair.

Sukitte ii na yo also annoyed the crap out of me, but I wouldn't call it the worst.
Aug 24, 2015 8:21 AM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
SuperRed said:
XXXHolic

...my god

Even Aku no Hana anime looks much better compared to this

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Aug 24, 2015 8:29 AM

Jul 2013
Ping Pong obviously.
Aug 24, 2015 9:35 AM
Feb 2013
Ping Pong wouldve probably been as high rated as kuroko no basket if not for the ugly ass characters. Every single one of your guys suggestions are beautiful in comparison to this.

Aug 24, 2015 10:03 AM

May 2015
KendiKong said:
Ping Pong wouldve probably been as high rated as kuroko no basket if not for the ugly ass characters. Every single one of your guys suggestions are beautiful in comparison to this.

Wow. A pathetic attempt at realism and no beauty whatsoever to speak of. I think this takes the cake.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Aug 24, 2015 10:07 AM

May 2014
Aku no hana. Hands down. Worst and the laziest animation done in anime industry.
quit jacking off on your waifu, you disgusting weaboo
Aug 24, 2015 12:29 PM
May 2013
andpark said:
One Piece, hands down.
Even the female characters are supposed to be attractive, come off creepy because their boobs are bigger than their head and have extremely thin waist, and overall just disproportional.
Shit you beat me to it! One piece has some of the most freakiest&ugly art style i've ever seen in an Anime.

I also HATE code geass's art style... the characters look like they're anorexic as fuck with chins so pointy that you can use them to carve diamonds.

I basically hate ALL "Moe" cutesy artsttyle.. ironically i don't find it cute.. just annoying&ugly.
Aug 24, 2015 12:30 PM

Mar 2015
MiChocoFudge said:
Aku no hana. Hands down. Worst and the laziest animation done in anime industry.
the anime artstyle atleast better than round type face in manga that creep me out.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Aug 24, 2015 1:29 PM

Jul 2015
Kure Nai and Shiki
Wohooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Aug 24, 2015 1:35 PM

Nov 2011
TheBrainintheJar said:
KendiKong said:

Wow. A pathetic attempt at realism and no beauty whatsoever to speak of. I think this takes the cake.
Yeah Ping Pong was not an attempt at realism it was very abstract actually. These images are cherry picking.
Aug 24, 2015 3:09 PM

May 2014
Ping pong the animation.
Aug 24, 2015 3:18 PM

May 2010
SuperRed said:
XXXHolic

Lol god wat xD My tummy hurts now.

Other than that Aku no Hana, I don't care if they look "real" or some shit like that, everyone there looks just plain and ugly.
Aug 24, 2015 3:19 PM

Jul 2014
That xxxHolic screenshot is scattered through all three pages of the thread lol.
Actually overall I really liked the character design of that series.
Aug 24, 2015 3:22 PM

Mar 2015
Aria-da-Capo said:
That xxxHolic screenshot is scattered through all three pages of the thread lol.
when they are not stand up, they look normal, but when they are stand up and walking, ughhhhh...
Aug 24, 2015 3:29 PM

Jul 2014
absentminded said:
Aria-da-Capo said:
when they are not stand up, they look normal, but when they are stand up and walking, ughhhhh...

I like noodles.

Aug 24, 2015 3:32 PM

Mar 2015
Aria-da-Capo said:
absentminded said:
I like noodles.
the other 2 character (zashkiwarashi and that cat girl) is not that bad IMHO.
Aug 24, 2015 4:04 PM

Jul 2013
Soul Eater, because I see no effort or skill in that series character designs or art-style. The same goes for Akira. I could also add One Piece and Nico Robin's character design would be more appealing if she looked like Yurianne Faithful, who's one gorgeous looking babe. I've seen 80s anime with more appealing, hand-drawn characters than One Piece.
Aug 24, 2015 5:42 PM

Jul 2012
XxChidoriXx said:
SuperRed said:
XXXHolic

Jesus motherfucking Christ! What the hell are those things?! Why are they so abnormally stretched out?

LOL looks like teenaged mutants to me
Aug 24, 2015 5:45 PM

Feb 2010
BEHOLD

beating a dead horse but lets not forget this
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Aug 24, 2015 5:49 PM

Sep 2013
i can't bring myself to watch clannad b/c of the shite artstyle

also ping pong the animu
wow
Aug 24, 2015 6:02 PM

May 2015
Waifu_Strangler said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

Yeah Ping Pong was not an attempt at realism it was very abstract actually. These images are cherry picking.

Actually, I see this as very realistic. It tries to replicate exactly the Asian facial pictures, the nose is clear and the hair isn't gravity-defying rainbow-colored thing. How is it not an attempt at realism?
Aug 24, 2015 6:21 PM

Apr 2012
SuperRed said:
XXXHolic

There was nothing particularly bad about xxxholic character designs though there is no arguing the characters are freakishly tall. I loved Yuuko's character design. That's just a snippet of poor animation. Most studios have their derpy face moments because of budge constraints and taking shortcuts.

OT: I guess any anime with huge bug eyes
zzzeallyAug 24, 2015 6:26 PM

Aug 24, 2015 6:36 PM

Nov 2011
TheBrainintheJar said:
Waifu_Strangler said:

Actually, I see this as very realistic. It tries to replicate exactly the Asian facial pictures, the nose is clear and the hair isn't gravity-defying rainbow-colored thing. How is it not an attempt at realism?
Try watching and find out :3
Aug 24, 2015 7:03 PM

Jul 2015
One Piece. I've always been kind of turned off by the way One Piece characters look.
"People who neglect to make efforts or who don't take any actions at all are always the ones who dream that someday they will suddenly become wildly successful."-Misaki Nakahara
Aug 24, 2015 7:09 PM

Mar 2015
abunai sisters. still can't understand how PRODUCTION I.G. can made something like this:

Aug 24, 2015 8:17 PM
Aug 2015
Euphemistic said:
I would also like to add...

Especially that fat guy, he's what made me drop the show. He looks the ugliest out of all of them.
"Those who don't understand true pain, will never understand true peace...." - Pain
Aug 24, 2015 8:20 PM
Aug 2015
LyJaysa said:
Eiken...

Jesus motherfucking Christ, does that little girl actually have big tits?
"Those who don't understand true pain, will never understand true peace...." - Pain
Aug 24, 2015 8:44 PM

Nov 2011
XxChidoriXx said:
LyJaysa said:
Eiken...

Eiken is a contender for worst anime ever.
Aug 24, 2015 8:45 PM

May 2012
I think a lot of modern anime look ugly. Too sterile and clean. I like when anime characters resemble human beings, which is why I like ping pong. The anime captured the manga's art well.
Aug 24, 2015 9:28 PM

Feb 2010
absentminded said:
abunai sisters. still can't understand how PRODUCTION I.G. can made something like this:

"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Aug 24, 2015 9:42 PM

Mar 2015
hazerddex said:
absentminded said:

still can't beleive this made by the same studio who make kurobas, haikyuu, ETC. ugh, the fuck?
Aug 25, 2015 6:08 AM

May 2015
XxChidoriXx said:
LyJaysa said:
Eiken...

Eiken is the sort of thing whose creators I want to meet. I want to know what they thought when they made it.

They obviously didn't think of sexiness.
Aug 25, 2015 6:39 AM

Apr 2015
for me clannad
Aug 25, 2015 6:40 AM

Jun 2015
JakeDagger said:
for me clannad
it's fucking unbearable
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Anime you hope will be announced as soon as possible.

Dominusew - Today

14 by FanofAction »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » What is your most common reason for rewatching anime?

MeanMrMusician - Yesterday

18 by traed »»
3 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

84 by -YaoiBoy- »»
11 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows?

EverRealm - Today

43 by purplemoon_ »»
21 minutes ago

» Credit cards companies are forcing the Hentai industry

Dije - 6 hours ago

31 by traed »»
22 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.