Forum Settings
Forums

NY Times Manga Best Seller List for Aug 9 - 15

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Post New Reply
#1
Aug 21, 2015 10:34 AM
News Team
Snowical | 🎧 🎶

Offline
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 2102
Graphic books best seller list (Manga & OEL) for August 9th - 15th

*1. Monster Musume: Everyday Life With Monster Girls Vol.7
*2. Naruto Vol.71
*3. My Hero Academia Vol.1
*4. One Piece Vol.75
*5. Tokyo Ghoul Vol.1
*6. Assassination Classroom Vol.5
*7. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 1: Phantom Blood Vol.3
*8. Food Wars: Shokugeki no Soma Vol.7
*9. Dragonar Academy Vol.7
10. Akame ga Kill! Vol.3

Source: NY Times Manga Best Seller List

Previous related news: North American Anime & Manga Releases for August

← Previous Week
Modified by myanimelistllc, Feb 11, 2016 6:52 AM
 
#2
Aug 21, 2015 10:35 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 10481
No Attack on Titan, seppuku
 
#3
Aug 21, 2015 10:36 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 115
*3. My Hero Academia Vol.1

fuck yeah

When the anime comes it will be the next attack on titan/Naruto in the US.
 
#4
Aug 21, 2015 10:42 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 6479
*5. Tokyo Ghoul Vol.1

Same as last week and no Attack on Titan volume 1. *shock*
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
 
#5
Aug 21, 2015 10:43 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 2280
Glad to see Monster Musume, my favorite ecchi manga XD
I'm sure Tokyo Ghoul vol 2 will be topping next week.
 
#6
Aug 21, 2015 10:44 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 18678
Oh yeah, gotta spread that inter species love :)
*1. Monster Musume: Everyday Life With Monster Girls Vol.7
 
#7
Aug 21, 2015 10:45 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 65
SnK finally dropped off the list. Holy fuck.

 
#8
Aug 21, 2015 10:46 AM
Offline
Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 540
andpark said:
*3. My Hero Academia Vol.1

fuck yeah

When the anime comes it will be the next attack on titan/Naruto in the US.


Not really. It'll be popular for sure but not a phenomenon like those series were in the U.S because compared to those series it's really generic.

Oh well time will tell I guess.
 
#9
Aug 21, 2015 10:47 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 115
AquaWateria said:
andpark said:
*3. My Hero Academia Vol.1

fuck yeah

When the anime comes it will be the next attack on titan/Naruto in the US.


Not really. It'll be popular for sure but not a phenomenon like those series were in the U.S because compared to those series it's really generic.

Oh well time will tell I guess.

Are you implying your opinion matters lol? I think one piece is uber generic, doesn't change the fact that it's very popular on Japan.
 
Aug 21, 2015 10:56 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 7623
I didn't know Monster Musume was that popular.

I̢f ͠yo̶u̢'r͝e ҉só ́v̷ery͠ ̴ęn̴te̴r̢t͝ài͜n̨i̷ng͏
̕͜t̷he͡n why ár̡e yo̡u̕ ̶o͟n͢ yo̕ùŕ ͢own t̢on͢i̛ght?̀
 
Aug 21, 2015 11:02 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 4887
Monster Musume and JoJo on the list.

That was a good week.
 
Aug 21, 2015 11:11 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 887
Fab to see Monster Musume at number 1, volume 7 was one of the best volumes of the series without doubt, hilarious yet touching as well.

Need to start reading Akame ga Kill! and Dragonar Academy soon despite my indifference to the formers anime.

Attack on Titan dropping off the list is surprising, happened once or twice before though.
Ero Reviews
Anime Reviews: 3Ping Lovers!☆Ippu Nisai no Sekai e Youkoso♪, Shoujo Senki Brain Jacker, Mesu Kyoushi ~Injoku no Kyoushitsu~
Manga Reviews: Milliard Slave Story, Fantasy Hentai School Girls, The Sex Sweepers
Doujinshi Reviews: Kangoku Senkan Anthology, Eritama! eri love middleage, Taimanin Sainikutsubo Jigoku

She sits a peony, she stands a lotus and she walks a lily
 
Aug 21, 2015 11:37 AM
Offline
Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 540
andpark said:
AquaWateria said:


Not really. It'll be popular for sure but not a phenomenon like those series were in the U.S because compared to those series it's really generic.

Oh well time will tell I guess.

Are you implying your opinion matters lol? I think one piece is uber generic, doesn't change the fact that it's very popular on Japan.


No I'm not saying my opinion matters but what I'm saying is that I don't believe Hero Academia will be as popular as SNK and Naruto as they were a huge phenomenon.

Like I said I'm not saying the series won't be popular but it won't be as big as Naruto and SNK.

Well in the end it doesn't really matter because I could be wrong.
 
Aug 21, 2015 11:56 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 229
Monmusu at the top for NY Times. i think i saw it a lot of times in the list.
yes, the manga is popular.

 
Aug 21, 2015 12:19 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2014
Posts: 12768
No Prison School, the disappointment is real...
All credit goes to Sacred.
 
Aug 21, 2015 12:41 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 1149
One Piece and Jojos all day every day .
 
Aug 21, 2015 12:42 PM
Offline
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 2
Monster Musume outselling Naruto... these are dark times
 
Aug 21, 2015 12:45 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 115
Verathan said:
Monster Musume outselling Naruto... these are dark times

Naruto volume will sell more in the end. It's above it now in this week only because it's newly released, and Naruto is a week old.
 
Aug 21, 2015 1:00 PM
Offline
Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 540
Verathan said:
Monster Musume outselling Naruto... these are dark times


It's not like Naruto is any good either.😌
 
Aug 21, 2015 1:19 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 1451
Monster Musume #1 that's nice to see.

Naruto holding on #2!TG still at #5 this week.Surprised Dragonar Academy is selling in the US.
 
Aug 21, 2015 1:22 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 96
Great to see Food Wars! in this list. Loving the series so far
 
Aug 21, 2015 1:51 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 614
MonMusu continuing the trend of every volume being a best seller. What a wonderful world we have.
 
Aug 21, 2015 1:53 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 115
talentlessash said:
MonMusu continuing the trend of every volume being a best seller. What a wonderful world we have.

It only sells 9k at the end of the year.
 
Aug 21, 2015 1:54 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 351
TrashDax said:
I didn't know Monster Musume was that popular.
Every vol snatched the top spot. Anyway Aot will be back. Hoping on the Oh my Goddess omnibus though. Support that title, the book quality is top notch.
Spirits of the light! Wielders of the great power that shines far and wide upon the lands of our world... In my hour of need, grant me the light to banish evil!
 
Aug 21, 2015 2:39 PM
News Team
Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 94480
Monsters Musume #1 huh

> *3. My Hero Academia Vol.1
I can feel it. Anime adaptation announcement this year.
 
Aug 21, 2015 2:49 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 3799
before anyone thinks mosnter musume being number 1 is cuz the anime or its odd its not

its been number one for a while and everytime a new vol dropped
 
Aug 21, 2015 2:53 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 115
People are too concerned with weekly rankings and missing the bigger picture.
 
Aug 21, 2015 2:57 PM
Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 343
*1. Monster Musume: Everyday Life With Monster Girls Vol.7

Great seeing Monster Musume at #1
 
Aug 21, 2015 3:41 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 57
"Big fishes in small ponds" is the best way to describe the US manga market.
 
Aug 21, 2015 4:17 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 12187
What happened with that horde of horny boys
 
Aug 21, 2015 4:30 PM
Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 3915
MasterKingJC said:
"Big fishes in small ponds" is the best way to describe the US manga market.



It´s the second biggest market on global scale.
Around half of Naruto´s sales outside of Japan which is around 70 million come from the US.
So no having 30 million sales just in one country while other series with 30+vloumes reach just 20 is actually a big deal.

There was an "article" on Kotaku a while ago that explained how Manga is consistently dropping sales.

However One Piece is coninuesly rising. The matter of fact is that less trash gets printed and people buy less collective magazines like Jump.

I actually prefer it that way instead of 4 moey school schows we´ll get just 2 and from time to time a good adaptation of a well written manga or eye candy similar to Miyazaki´´s stuff.
 
Aug 21, 2015 4:33 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 1582
^lol
 
Aug 21, 2015 4:36 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 3799
andpark said:
People are too concerned with weekly rankings and missing the bigger picture.
there is no bigger picture shit like this doesnt matter its just nice to see whats going on in the states but other than that the only sales that matter is japan

stop preaching nonsense
 
Aug 21, 2015 4:45 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2014
Posts: 5331
No Attack on Titan?



The reign of terror is over.

Sucks JoJo dropped to #7 this fast already but I'm glad it's there at all, it didn't end up like Prison School at least.

Excited to see Tokyo Ghoul top the charts again next week.
 
Aug 21, 2015 4:48 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 662
No Hunter x Hunter, oh wait..



"Watch Bananya fam.." -my death wish-
 
Aug 21, 2015 5:12 PM
Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 48
Looks like this week was full of new releases from this and last week. Is this the most of those on this list in a while?
 
Aug 21, 2015 5:35 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 57
Isterio said:
MasterKingJC said:
"Big fishes in small ponds" is the best way to describe the US manga market.



It´s the second biggest market on global scale.
Around half of Naruto´s sales outside of Japan which is around 70 million come from the US.
So no having 30 million sales just in one country while other series with 30+vloumes reach just 20 is actually a big deal.

There was an "article" on Kotaku a while ago that explained how Manga is consistently dropping sales.

However One Piece is coninuesly rising. The matter of fact is that less trash gets printed and people buy less collective magazines like Jump.

I actually prefer it that way instead of 4 moey school schows we´ll get just 2 and from time to time a good adaptation of a well written manga or eye candy similar to Miyazaki´´s stuff.


Far from it. The second largest manga market is France. After that it's a toss-up between China and Korea.

The manga industry in America has only recently started to see some improvement, but it's merely dwarfed by the popularity of manga in other regions. Even the most popular titles have a hard time reaching 100k copies sold in a year.
 
Aug 21, 2015 6:17 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 2425
no aot. wow
Naruto, MHA and AssClass <3
 
Aug 21, 2015 7:21 PM
Offline
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 2
At least Akame ga Kill! is in the top 10.
 
Aug 21, 2015 7:24 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2014
Posts: 5331
MasterKingJC said:
"Big fishes in small ponds" is the best way to describe the US manga market.

I don't care, it raises localization chances of other series. Even if the actual mangaka isn't profiting, at least the industry is.

If you don't buy anything the automatic assumption is you just don't care.
 
Aug 21, 2015 9:57 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 4141
AgK still in top 10. Awesome. I guess it's not just Japan that like ecchi. Monster Musume.

MasterKingJC said:

Far from it. The second largest manga market is France. After that it's a toss-up between China and Korea.


I didn't know China and Korea are huge market for manga. How did you know which manga market is the biggest after Japan. Any stats for it?
Too many objective vs subjective debate in AD. I will just leave this here(also, on Critical Thinking). To be a critique means to be subjective.
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

Citation/Reference:http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.
 
Aug 21, 2015 11:55 PM
永遠の銀魂

Offline
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 876
Snow said:
*3. My Hero Academia Vol.1

that's pretty cool, I need to catch up on this but I'd be happy to wait and buy the volumes.
 
Aug 22, 2015 12:10 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 115
moodie said:
andpark said:
People are too concerned with weekly rankings and missing the bigger picture.
there is no bigger picture shit like this doesnt matter its just nice to see whats going on in the states but other than that the only sales that matter is japan

stop preaching nonsense

Stop being ignorant. Whether or not you think US sales matter is irrelevant. I'm saying overall sales matter more than some manga being on top of a weekly list, much like the sales in Japan as well.

Isterio said:
MasterKingJC said:
"Big fishes in small ponds" is the best way to describe the US manga market.



It´s the second biggest market on global scale.
Around half of Naruto´s sales outside of Japan which is around 70 million come from the US.

God damn you are clueless. Those 70 million sales are from the rest of the world not US. Second biggest market is France and it's not even close.
 
Aug 22, 2015 1:28 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 29
*4. One Piece Vol.75
*5. Tokyo Ghoul Vol.1

Yes. My babies. <3
Thank god. AoT isn't on the list. So much better manga out there. That deserve to be on the list.
 
Aug 22, 2015 1:50 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 115
Ray-Sensei said:
*4. One Piece Vol.75
*5. Tokyo Ghoul Vol.1

Yes. My babies. <3
Thank god. AoT isn't on the list. So much better manga out there. That deserve to be on the list.

AoT will still sell better overall than any manga you like.
 
Aug 22, 2015 1:52 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2014
Posts: 5331
andpark said:
Ray-Sensei said:
*4. One Piece Vol.75
*5. Tokyo Ghoul Vol.1

Yes. My babies. <3
Thank god. AoT isn't on the list. So much better manga out there. That deserve to be on the list.

AoT will still sell better overall than any manga you like.

And?
 
Aug 22, 2015 2:09 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 1707
andpark said:
AoT will still sell better overall than any manga you like.

Stuff like OreImo and no game no life would sell more then Utsuro no Hako to Zero no Maria. Does that make it bad?
 
Aug 22, 2015 2:11 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 115
EvenJellyOn said:
andpark said:
AoT will still sell better overall than any manga you like.

Stuff like OreImo and no game no life would sell more then Utsuro no Hako to Zero no Maria. Does that make it bad?

Huh? He said he was glad that AoT wasn't on the list, I'm jusst pointing out that it doesn't' matter, since weekly rankings are pointless, the end results of the sales will still be AoT on top.
 
Aug 22, 2015 2:43 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 299
andpark said:
Ray-Sensei said:
*4. One Piece Vol.75
*5. Tokyo Ghoul Vol.1

Yes. My babies. <3
Thank god. AoT isn't on the list. So much better manga out there. That deserve to be on the list.

AoT will still sell better overall than any manga you like.

Hahaah you know that One Piece is the best selling Manga of all Time and is first in the sales charts since 2007.
 
Aug 22, 2015 3:08 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2014
Posts: 5331
andpark said:
EvenJellyOn said:

Stuff like OreImo and no game no life would sell more then Utsuro no Hako to Zero no Maria. Does that make it bad?

Huh? He said he was glad that AoT wasn't on the list, I'm jusst pointing out that it doesn't' matter, since weekly rankings are pointless, the end results of the sales will still be AoT on top.

That doesn't mean you can't get excited over the small short lived successes.

Of course the year end result will always be in AoT's favor, but in the music world that'd be like not acknowledging Nirvana's success just because in the year end charts they only reached #34.
 
Pages (2) [1] 2 »