Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 21, 2008 9:57 PM
Jan 2008
This is the most underrated (and controversial) of the Disney-Ghibli dubs; to this day fans debate over whether it is a fantastic new interpretation or a distortion of a great masterpiece. Although not flawless, Castle in the Sky's dub gets more criticism than it deserves; personally, I think it's entertaining in its own right, thanks to a gorgeous new score, snappy (if somewhat loose) dialogue, and noteworthy performances. This was the last to be handled by Jack Fletcher, who also directed the dubs for Kiki's Delivery Service and Princess Mononoke. Actually, the dub was intended to be released after Kiki, but due to various factors which, to this day, are hotly debated, it didn't appear on DVD until 2003.

James Van der Beek (Pazu): An unusual casting choice, this has caused a lot of controversy from both critics and fans. While Van Der Beek's voice does sound perhaps a little too mature (although it would have been hard to imagine just what voice would suit this character, considering that he is in many ways young yet mature in others), his actual voice acting isn't as bad as you'd expect. Pazu is supposed to be earnest and exuberant, and Van Der Beek brings consistent enthusiasm to the part. His best scenes where he's talking quietly with Sheeta, notably on the Crow's nest on the Tiger Moth and during some exploration scenes in Laputa. Admittingly, his performance isn't my favorite, but he does a better job than what naysayers give him credit for.

Anna Paquin (Sheeta): Like Van Der Beek, Paquin sounds a bit too mature, but a childlike quality still remains with her voice, making her more of an appropriate choice. Her acting is good, but her accent is sometimes a little wishy-washy. At times it sounds American, while at times, it sounds British. (This "problem", however, actually works in favor of her character, considering that she is from "far, far away.")

Cloris Leachman (Dola): Leachman has stated in her interview in the too skimpy "Behind the Microphone" featurette that she was tailor-made for this role. Her zesty performance as the character is spot-on--commanding, tough-talking, and secretly softhearted (not to mention hilarious). It's obvious that Leachman was having a blast with the part--she never throws away any of her lines, an obvious testament to what a gifted professional she is.

Mark Hamill (Muska): (Insert jokes about Luke Skywalker going to the Dark Side here) Hamill has proven himself to be quite an accomplished voice actor, and Muska is arguably one of his finest roles. Sly and smooth-talking at one moment and devilishly insane at the next, Hamill runs wild with this character, oozing with genuine evil throughout. There have been some who stated that he sounds a bit like the Joker during the climactic scenes, but it works. And of course the evil laugh--awesome. If there's any reason that this dub warrants a listen, it's his performance as well as Leachman's. These two are phenomenal.

Mandy Patinkin, Mike McShane, and Andy Dick (Louie, Charles, and Henri--Dola's boys): A terrifically cast trio, with lots of beautifully exchanged one-liners, even if they were mostly adlibbed. Their best moments are when they celebrate over Pazu and Sheeta joining them, asking for food, and later on, when they each approach Sheeta, offering to help her in the kitchen. All three showcase distinct personalities (and favorite foods): case in point: Patinkin is shy and awkward (and prefers licking spatulas), McShane is straightforward ("I'm in love with you!" -- Priceless!) and wants pudding, while Dick is casual, and pretty mouthy (not to mention having a weakness for chocolate cake with a certain pink and swirly frosting.) They have few scenes, but they make the most of them with style.

Richard Dysart (Uncle Pom): This is only a small role, but it's a very lovely one. Of the performances in the dub, this is the most underrated. Dysart has a gentle, kind voice and gives a warm performance for this character. Plus, his first lines where he mistakes Pazu and Sheeta for goblins are both priceless and beautifully delivered, especially, "I can't see you clearly yet, goblin, but you sound like Pazu! And if these old eyes of mine don't deceive me, there's a she-goblin with you." Brilliant!

Jim Cummings (General): Ah, clever casting yet again. From the moment I found out he was in this dub, I knew I wanted to hear him. His general is as gruff and scratchy as you'd expect (in fact, he sounds somewhat similar to Razoul from Aladdin), but its in his scenes with Muska where he really shines. He also gets a memorable one-liner, "Blast! I really hate that man." If anything, this dub is more about the supporting characters than the leads.

John Hostetter (Boss): One of the things that I've always loved about the Ghibli dubs is how they use famous names with traditional voice actors and Anime voiceovers, giving them something of a multi-cultural feel. This role is an example of the latter. Hostetter is not very well known, but he has been heard in various dubs by Jack Fletcher--notably the Airship captain from Kiki's Delivery Service, Ji-San in Princess Mononoke, and Polk from Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust. There isn't much depth to his performance here, but there doesn't need to be. All that Hostetter has to do is provide gallant toughness and boldness, and he does just that with his gruff voice. It's a shame his voice has not been heard in any other Ghibli dub.

Aside from Tress MacNeille (who has become quite the Ghibli dubbing veteran), who turns in a cameo role as the wife of Pazu's boss, and Corey Burton (who is quite notable as one of Muska's agents) other roles in the dub are played by names such as John DeMita, Andrew Philpot, Michael Sorich, Matt Miller, Scott Menville, Eddie Frierson, and Debi Derryberry (who has a notoriety for playing high-pitched little girl's voices) as the obnoxiously funny, pint-sized daughter of Pazu's boss and a little softer and nuanced as young Sheeta in a flashback sequence. Admittingly, some of the incidental voices verge on sounding somewhat "cartoony," but considering that the movie has some equally cartoonish action, I don't consider this a bad thing at all.

The real star of the dub, though, is the completely revamped music score by Joe Hisaishi. Originally about an hour long in the original cut, Disney requested him to extend his cherished soundtrack to approximately 90 minutes for a full performance by symphony orchestra. The result is a breathtaking, sweeping musical enhancement that really carries the dub as a whole. As classic as the original score was (even when performed on synthesizers), this re-recording contains all the elements that made Hisaishi's soundtrack for Laputa so special... and a lot more, fleshing it out to orchestral beauty and clarity. Also, as much as I admired the creative use of silence in the original Japanese version for scenes such as the opening attack scene on the airship and when Pazu and Sheeta pass through a storm cloud at breakneck speed, hearing these previously quiet moments with music is a visceral experience in its own right. It really gives the movie a more epic, grandiose feel as a whole. That said, naysayers have attacked the new score on all sides (and sometimes unfairly), condemning it as inferior to the original and/or ill-suited to the film. In fact, the harshest of critics have claimed that the reworking of the music (in addition to the casting of the leads) is the ultimate reason to avoid the dub altogether. The backlash against the new music of Castle in the Sky is wholly undeserved; as mentioned, it was done by the original composer, Joe Hisaishi—and the fact that Miyazaki applauded the new score renders such accusations of blasphemy moot.

This is not to say that the Castle dub is flawless, far from it. The synchronization is a bit uneven in places. There are some times when lines are spoken when the mouth is open but not flapping (mostly in long-shots where the characters' faces are too small to make out any mouth movement). Part of this can be due to the sometimes stilted mouth flaps (occasional signs of the film showing its age), but some lines come off as a tad mistimed by about a hair. It was most noticeable, for me, during the scene where Sheeta and Pazu are communicating with Dola in the crow's nest. At other times, most words fit as smoothly without much error, while other lines are, irritatingly, spoken when a character's mouth is not moving! It does get a bit annoying if you're scrutinizing the dub for flaws; although to the average eye, they probably won't come across as so grating.

Aside from the leads and new music, the dub has been faulted for its sometimes hammy translation. As with Kiki, the script used to create the Disney adaptation was actually the same one used for an earlier dub distributed by Streamline Pictures in 1989, hence why some lines are surprisingly similar to both dubs, with the exception of a few embellishments for natural or lipflap purposes. The most glaring attack about this dub (and Kiki, for that matter) seem to be the inclusion of additional dialogue, particularly in scenes which were initially silent. Some of these extra lines, admittingly, aren't really necessary (Sheeta talking a bit more about her past over a scene where there was previously music), but they're hardly blasphemous and most of them (such as the background banter between the pirates and Dola coaching Sheeta to talk like a pirate) are fitting with the characters and pricelessly written. Extra lines aside, John Semper's adaptation is actually pretty faithful for the most part (that is to say, while the dialogue is not necessarily word-for-word with the subtitles, many of the lines convey the same meaning), however there are various alterations. Most of them aren't terribly noticeable and don't really hamper the film (I actually like the term "aetherium crystal" over "volucite", as it displays the importance of Sheeta's pendant to the audience in a way that the literal translation does not--in the same way that "Forest Spirit" does for the "Deer God" in Princess Mononoke), but two of them are somewhat questionable:

1) In the original Japanese version, there are references to "Gulliver's Travels" and "Treasure Island" at two instances. (This was partially done by Miyazaki as a tribute to Swift's original novel.) The English script deletes them and replaces them with lines which work in favor of the characters, but noticeably different from the original intent. Whether this was due to problems of getting the rights to reference both of these in the English script or for lipflap/natural flow is unclear, but it is a minor curiosity nonetheless.

2) Probably the only real controversial alteration is during the final confrontation scene where Sheeta tells Muska that "the world cannot live without love" as opposed to the original "you can't survive apart from Earth." Hardcore fans were quick to cry blasphemy over this line, but it actually comes across as a bit of a two-faced card. On one hand, this changes the ecological message of Miyazaki's original screenplay; on the flip side, it could be left open to ambiguous interpretation. (I suppose, though, that this change is no more debatable than Kiki regaining her ability to speak to Jiji at the end of the Kiki's Delivery Service dub.)

Such shortcomings are ultimately irrelevant however, because on the whole, the characters and story are true to the spirit of the original source material. This worked with Kiki's Delivery Service, and, other than the occasional rewrites and throwaway lines, it does likewise for Castle in the Sky. The story remains faithful and coherent; it's just, well, delivered a little bit differently.

I expect that hardcore fans will crucify me for my thoughts on the Disney dub of Laputa, but while it may not be the accurate, undistorted version that purists demanded, it's still lightyears above a majority of the weaker dubs around. Even though the leads are only OK and the script too loose in places, its highlights -- the new score and the bravura performances by the rest of the cast -- outweigh such shortcomings by far and ultimately render the dub a delight. Even though some may use the dub as a speculation point about aural alterations, I have to say that it does its job in providing a rollickingly good, fresh new version of a classic tale and then some. On the whole, there is little point in comparing the Disney dub to the Japanese version; each puts its own distinctive spin on this masterpiece, and I like them both.
JTurnerFeb 21, 2008 10:02 PM
Mar 30, 2008 8:57 AM
Jan 2008
I'm sorry but i personally think that the disney dub is atrocious, I would rather listen to the English DUB on VHS recorded from the television in England from From my childhood in the early 90s over that one anyday.
Mar 30, 2008 7:06 PM
Jan 2008
I did hear about the pre-Disney dub of "Laputa" myself, but after hearing some of it, I found myself wondering why on Earth anyone could say it was superior to Disney's in any way. Sorry to say, the opposite is true. The script is more "accurate" all right, but it does so at the expense of natural dialogue and more often than not, sounds absolutely stale, stilted, and robotic. It's laughable as well; lines such as "I'm as hard as a brick moppet if moppets were made out of bricks" and "Now say bye-bye!" at the climax only succeed in bringing unintentional humor to inappropriate moments. It is very difficult to take the movie seriously with a script that sounds like it was done by someone inexperienced at the art of writing properly timed, natural sounding ADR scripts. Disney's dub may lay on the chatter thick, but their version has the upper hand here. Even with the one argument that the older dub doesn't alter the last part of Sheeta's speech at the end of the film (my only complaint with Disney's dub), it's simply not enough to overcome the many, many numerous faults the JAL dub has.

The acting in the older dub, if you can call it that, is not very good at all. The actors involved in this '80s dub are Streamline regulars, but none of them are at their best. The problem is that the older dub was rushed and produced very quickly, resulting with a lot of stale, robotic sounding delivery. It's like listening to a bad Saturday morning cartoon.

Barbara Goodson may be a good actress, but her Pazu is mediocre at best, and her voice is not convincing enough to pass for a young boy. I'm not saying James van der Beek was a better choice -- he's not, but he brings something to the role that Barbara does not: genuine emotion and enthusiasm. Goodson comes across as though she's phoning it in. Younger-sounding or not.

The only halfway decent voice in the JAL dub is Mike Reynolds as the General; that is to say, he doesn't provide a particularly great performance, but at least I could imagine him having a voice like that. That said, he still suffers from some stale delivery and Jim Cummings still trumps him.

It's the rest of the cast where the JAL dub really comes crashing down.

Lara Cody's Sheeta fares even worse than both Goodson AND, believe it or not, Paquin -- her voice is both unnatural and lacking in emotional balance. She sounds both very detached from her role and all over the place. While Paquin has the occasional missed line, her overall performance is nowhere nearly as wooden and directionless as this. Even some of the more powerful moments in the movie are handled amateurishly on Cody's part.

Jeff Winkless' Muska is one of the dullest, robotic, and utterly uncharismatic performances I've ever heard in any dub. Every single minute of his performance sounds emotionless and totally devoid of any menace. Some people have defended this turn saying that he plays it just like his Japanese counterpart, but that's no excuse for such a boring, remote turn. He sounds totally detached from the part, and gets even worse at the finale, when he's reduced to saying laughable lines such as "Now say bye bye!" Simply put, it's a total embarrassment compared to both the Japanese version and Hamill's superior take. He's guilty of speedreading as well, to the point where it, too, provides for unintentional humor: "The fact is Laputa possessedenough scientificknowledge tobeableto float in the sky! Itwasonceakingdom that governedandthreatened the entire world!"

On that note, Dola sounded plain wrong, too; the actress playing her simply screams her lines with zero personality and none of the charm that Cloris Leachman gave to the role (she was better suited, too). The pirate brothers were not much better. Yes, all three are supposed to be the most cartoonish characters in the movie; however these guys here not only sound hokey, they aren't even the least bit funny. (The street brawl scene was especially bad, stilted dialogue and totally devoid of humor.)

The other issue I have with this older dub is the walla, or rather, lack thereof. Sequences such as the aformentioned street brawl and the climactic scenes where the robots are chasing the soldiers have characters moving their mouths, but we don't hear anything at all. This calls so much attention to itself, that it further calls into question how "better" this dub is.

Based on what I heard, I had the impression that the first dub was just a cheap, quickly produced affair made for airlines, which in fact it actually was. Dubs like this are not guaranteed to be of high quality, especially when it's by a studio hired on the cheap.

I understand that there are fans who have issues with the Disney dub (and some who say the first dub is preferable), however, after seeing what I saw of that older dub, it only convinced me how better Disney's dub is. Perfect though it may not be, it's miles above this one by far.
JTurnerApr 27, 2017 7:42 PM
Apr 6, 2008 2:59 PM

Dec 2007
I think I am the only one here who liked the Disney dub better than the original Japanese? (This is coming from someone who usually avoids dubs like the plague.)

Maybe it's prejudice from hearing the dub first, but I though that Van der Beek's mature voice suited Pazu better than the girly voice he had in the original. Why? Because this is a coming-of-age story for Pazu, and Van der Beek just captured the essence of a boy growing up, a boy on the cusp of manhood.

Leachman did an awesome job as Dola, and Msuka wasn't that bad - I think he had somewhat of a "corny villain voice" but he kept me laughing. As for Paquin, her voice suited the character - there were a few cheesy cringeworthy moments but I stress the word FEW.

I felt like the moment where Pazu and Sheeta agreed to destroy Laputa to save it was much more powerful in the dub. This could also be attributed to a more fleshed out music score and better music timing, but it was mainly the voice acting.
Apr 6, 2008 9:04 PM
Jan 2008
Nope, you're not the only one. There are others who really like the dub too. The problem is, most of those people just don't speak out. I'm glad to hear that you thought the dub was great. It's a very underrated one. Like I said, I love it mainly for Leachman and Hamill (both were awesome). But I didn't mind the portrayals of the protagonists, either. They were mature, sure, but they were still pretty good.

-Jon T.
May 2, 2008 1:30 PM

Apr 2008
I didn't think the dub for this movie was too bad either, actually. Granted, I liked most of the other Disney dubs better, but still, I thought this one was pretty good, too.
Jul 29, 2008 4:09 PM
Jul 2008
I have no problem with the Disney dub, but the so-called streamline or by Tokuma was my first dub so I prefer that to the Disney one.

I did have a major huff over the extra music that was inserted into the quiet sections. Especially annoyed by the orchestral backing to Pazu's trumpet solo.

Sadly I can find no firm reference to the streamline voice actors (other thank wiki repeating nausicaa.net). The first english dub is or was available on R2 Japanese DVD released by Buena Vista Japan in 2002.

EDITS for spellings.
Jul 29, 2008 4:35 PM

Feb 2007
You know, I don't actually recall ever watching any of Ghibli's movies in Japanese. I've loved all the dubs.
Jul 29, 2008 5:47 PM
Jan 2008
wrrlykam said:
Sadly I can find no firm reference to the streamline voice actors (other thank wiki repeating nausicaa.net). The first english dub is or was available on R2 Japanese DVD released by Buena Vista Japan in 2002.

I imagine they probably just used aliases.

Either way, though, Carl Macek's company, Streamline, who distributed that particular dub, expressed disappointment with how it turned out. (Wonder what they would've thought of Disney's version.) I imagine that those who prefer it probably do so out of nostalgia. I couldn't find anything about this older dub which even screams "superiority".

As for inserting the extra music, as mentioned, Miyazaki was OK with it; while there may be several places where the extra music seem gratuitous, at least it's done by the original composer, and not at all haphazardly.

-Jon T.
JTurnerAug 18, 2009 10:05 PM
Jun 3, 2009 1:52 PM

Oct 2008
This is actually one of the few dubs I like, but I still prefer in Japanese. My favorite voice was Paquin's. I thought it really suited Sheeta to have that kind of accent.

I find that with Disney dubs, I rarely have a problem with the actual voice actors (except the whats her face girl who played Chihiro. I was KILLED by her insane pitch.) its more the technical aspects.

For example, I could not stand when they called him Patsu. His name is PA-ZU, he's not a Pizza. Names have been a problem for the other dubs as well, like Nausicaa's "Pejite." That always gets me.

And the other thing I disliked was the score. Now, I love the revamped soundtrack from Joe Hisaishi and all, but I really wish they had left some parts silent, like the part with Pazu and his father in the wind. They even added in a voice to say "father?" It's just so much more powerful silent.

Lastly, and mostly I suppose, I was flat outright disgusted that they used tracks from the Spirited Away soundtrack in this. That was just the most pathetic thing I've ever heard. It is COMPLETELY not the type of music to use in Castle in the Sky, it was made for Spirited Away.

Other than those technical errors however, I found the dub to be quite charming. The voice actors had a down to earth quality about them which I liked.

...but still prefer in Japanese.
Oct 17, 2009 4:00 PM

Apr 2008
Asrialys said:
You know, I don't actually recall ever watching any of Ghibli's movies in Japanese. I've loved all the dubs.

I'm the same way. I've watched them all in English and don't really need to see them in Japanese.
Aug 21, 2011 4:38 PM

Dec 2009
I usually prefer subs over dubs, but I don't mind the dubs for Ghibli movies. They're fairly good.
Dec 6, 2011 7:42 AM
Mar 2011
duotrouble said:
Asrialys said:

I'm the same way. I've watched them all in English and don't really need to see them in Japanese.

you do
in some thsy change things Mimi wo for one thay mistrsketd the title and changeed a whole major plot point

bit the dub of this mviw is very good
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Nov 16, 2015 9:44 AM

Dec 2014
This dub was good though. You should see one piece and how they ruined the whole dub version
Aug 17, 2016 2:30 AM

Nov 2008
Haven't watched the dub yet, but I noticed the different music as I switched to the other track momentarily. Silence often says more. I find these quotes by Hisaishi and the team about the matter kind of funny.
According to Disney's staff, foreigners (non-Japanese) feel uncomfortable if there is no music for more than 3 minutes (laughs). You see this in the Western movies, which have music throughout. Especially, it is the natural state for a (non-Japanese) animated film to have music all the time. However in the original Laputa, there is only one-hour worth of music in the 2 hour 4 minute movie. There are parts that do not have any music for 7 to 8 minutes. So, we decided to redo the music as (the existing soundtrack) will not be suitable for (the markets) outside of Japan.
Meeting for the American version Laputa recording, which will start tomorrow. The important point [of the new recording] is to express America-ness, without losing the exquisite balance of the Miyazaki movie and Hisaishi music. For the past several days, Hisaishi-San has been absorbed listening to Hollywood movie soundtracks, studying the "point" to hit for Americans.

http://www.nausicaa.net/wiki/Laputa:_Castle_in_the_Sky_(Rescoring)
EzekielAug 17, 2016 2:58 AM

Aug 17, 2016 8:54 AM
Jan 2008
I personally think Hisasishi's new score does a great job of enhacning the movie IMO. Yes there are moments in the movie which probably would have been better of silent, but the overall result is just so beautiful and rich that I honestly really didn't care. Now I can't imagine the dub without it.

That said, Disney DID reissue the dub WITHOUT the new score if it upsets you that much, albeit on the U.S. DVD/BD from 2010 and 2012, respectively.
May 21, 2019 4:08 PM

Jul 2016
There is more than one dub for this movie? I watched in Japanese with subtitles anyways.
Sep 24, 2023 6:05 AM

May 2020
By the Way, the Spanish dub is the most hilarous thing on the world, call me inmature, but the Castle's name is "Laputa", which in Spanish sounds exactly the same as "La puta". "La puta" in Spanish means "the b*tch" so everytime the kids or somebody else mentions the castle it sounds like "Look, it's the b*tch's castle" (Mira, es el castillo de la puta), "My entire name contains the word B*tch in it" (Mi nombre completo contiene la puta en él). I love it.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tenkuu no Shiro Laputa Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Cele - Dec 3, 2009

124 by mangalicker94 »»
Mar 30, 9:10 PM

» What's the Philosophical Significance of Certain Motifs in Castle in the Sky?

Hethalos - Jun 9, 2013

8 by hypergoob »»
Jul 23, 2022 8:13 PM

» Anna Paquin as Sheeta

Duckielover151 - Jan 13, 2019

5 by JTurner »»
Feb 5, 2019 11:48 PM

» Is this movie a ripoff??

tobanga - Dec 23, 2015

2 by Ichilicious »»
Dec 7, 2016 10:41 AM

» Rest in Peace, Uncle Pom (Richard Dysart)

JTurner - Apr 20, 2015

0 by JTurner »»
Apr 20, 2015 7:53 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.