Forum Settings
Forums

Is meruem vs netero the best anime fight ever made ?

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Aug 23, 2015 12:28 AM

Jul 2013
Within the context of the Chimera ant arc i'd say it is
but if we are talking about ones with no context then there are better ones
Aug 23, 2015 9:59 AM
May 2009
stingzy said:

But netero didnt lose, it was a draw.

No, even though in a sense it was a draw in the end due to how the arc ends, netero would have lost without his trick, it was very clear to netero he would lose in the first place, reason why he resorted to the trick.
Aug 23, 2015 11:54 AM

Mar 2012
shintai88 said:
stingzy said:

But netero didnt lose, it was a draw.

No, even though in a sense it was a draw in the end due to how the arc ends, netero would have lost without his trick, it was very clear to netero he would lose in the first place, reason why he resorted to the trick.

What simple-minded thinking. Shows tha being kinda right is only half the victory.

Netero himself lost, this was not only shown clearly, but it was denoted by the fact that he said Meruem's name. The agreed upon condition for Netero's losing.

Meruem said that Netero, a simple human, cannot hope to defeat the King who was destined to achieve great things.

Netero agrees, he is indeed no match, but claims that he's not really alone. So after saying Meruem's name, after Zero, it was Meruem vs the Miniature Rose aka, Meruem vs all of humanity's evolution/malice up to that point.

This depth, is why this fight is easily the second best of all time, after Gon vs Pitou.
End Zionazism
Aug 23, 2015 12:09 PM
Jul 2018
My favorite anime fights include

Yusuke vs. Toguro (YuYu Hakusho)
Kenshin vs. Shishio (Samurai X)
Kenshin vs. Jin-e (Samurai X)
Hisoka vs. Kastro (HxH 2011)
Kurapika vs. Uvogin (HxH 1999)
Kisame vs. Guy (Naruto)
Kakashi vs. Obito (Naruto Shippuden)

They may not be the best fights, but they're my favorites and I think they all are more enjoyable than Meruem vs. Netero. I can however see where people who like it come from.
Aug 23, 2015 1:05 PM
May 2009
Mikasa said:
shintai88 said:

What simple-minded thinking. Shows tha being kinda right is only half the victory.

Netero himself lost, this was not only shown clearly, but it was denoted by the fact that he said Meruem's name. The agreed upon condition for Netero's losing.

Meruem said that Netero, a simple human, cannot hope to defeat the King who was destined to achieve great things.

Netero agrees, he is indeed no match, but claims that he's not really alone. So after saying Meruem's name, after Zero, it was Meruem vs the Miniature Rose aka, Meruem vs all of humanity's evolution/malice up to that point.

This depth, is why this fight is easily the second best of all time, after Gon vs Pitou.

Not disagreeing with you on the outcome or that netero clearly lost, just stating I could see why he would consider it a draw considering the ending (trying not to use spoilers here), but the fight was still dull from a very simple action perspective.

Taking your point as a whole, than yes the Minature Rose narration was definitely brilliant and to me personally was alot more interesting than the netero vs Meruem fight. And is one of the reasons I liked the arc, cause it was composed in a brilliant way and for this reason it was a more memorable scene than the actual fight itself.

Your whole point of Humankind vs the Chimera point is valid, and I totally agree, though I take with it more of how Humans no matter how evolved we are, we are worse than insects and all other creatures due to what we do with our knowledge and power.

In this case the message that the Netero vs Meruem fight that is presented is one of the best. The fight however is not.
Aug 23, 2015 2:09 PM

Sep 2009
Cynicism said:
Try "Ash Ketchum vs Gary Oak". Much more action and truly, a significantly more complex backstory involved!

This is obviously the right answer
Feb 28, 2016 8:52 AM
Sep 2012
This topic is subjective, of course, but I'll give my input. I really like this fight, it's detailed, it looks good, and it's had so much hype to it and was incredibly satisfying to finally see, but I wouldn't call it THE BEST. I wouldn't call any battles in anime the best ever because there's always someone who will say otherwise and it's likely something better will come along. What can be done is put them into categories though and this fight is in the top tier for me because of all that went with it from the hype earlier in the arc to the end result that is Meruem's death. In the one arc it gave incredible character development and fleshed them out to their inevitable end and what it meant overall to the story afterward was also incredible. Also there's the world building involved was incredible.
Feb 28, 2016 9:17 AM

Nov 2013
Not even close. Netero wins through deus ex machina (tiny bomb that fits inside of him, yet for some reason they treated the ants as a big deal even though 1 tiny bomb was enough to fix everything).

Extremely disappointing especially because HxH fanboys hype it up as LITERALLY the GREATEST THING EVER.
Feb 28, 2016 10:03 AM
Dec 2013
I found it underwhelming the first time I watched it, until Netero used Zero Hand. I guess it's one of the best, but not the best. I prefer Gon vs Neferpitou over it.
Feb 28, 2016 10:06 AM

Jul 2013
Nope. It was good and meaningful, but it wasn't as funny as Hisoka orgasming nor satisfying as
Feb 28, 2016 10:07 AM

Jul 2015
BonerBender said:
Not even close. Netero wins through deus ex machina (tiny bomb that fits inside of him, yet for some reason they treated the ants as a big deal even though 1 tiny bomb was enough to fix everything).

Extremely disappointing especially because HxH fanboys hype it up as LITERALLY the GREATEST THING EVER.
How the fuck is it deus ex Machina, it was forshadowed multiple times and Netero had to take his life with it
Sup...
Feb 28, 2016 10:30 AM
Jul 2018
Although the fight had quite some allegorical meanings(abt human nature), I felt kurapika's fight was better.
Feb 28, 2016 10:42 AM
Sep 2012
In terms of showing what he was able to do after training in Nen and showing us a thing that would later lead to Gon's final break, as well as the later half of the Yorknew arc and subsequent reason for the Troupe and Hisoka being at G.I. it's good.
Feb 28, 2016 10:53 AM
Aug 2014
Hunter x Hunter has some really great fights but I wouldn't compare it with Sword of a Stranger. There simply two completely different genres of anime based fighting. If the question is best Shounen anime fight then I would agree with Mereum vs Netero or some other popular shounen fight.
Feb 28, 2016 12:48 PM

Oct 2014
Kurapika vs Uvogin >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Netero vs Meruem
Also, I can't be the only person who thinks that the music that plays during the Sword of the Stranger fight is horribly unfitting. I swear that I've heard that soundtrack in Shrek.
What Kabaneri Did Wrong:
- Edgelord protagonist
- Special snowflake girlfriend
- Giving humans powers
- Failing to create a unique/memorable setting

What Kabaneri Did Right:
Feb 28, 2016 12:52 PM

Jan 2016
No, HXH had some better fights.

30chara's
Feb 28, 2016 3:21 PM

Feb 2011
I cant believe people think so highly of Netero vs Meruem. It was literally Netero throwing slapping attacks thousands of times and doing no damage to Meruem and Meruem getting gradually closer to Netero. Then Netero hits him with his strongest and barely does damage and Meruem starts beating Netero before he blows himself up. I didnt think this was all that interesting, nor even that clever. Imo a lot of other HxH fights are cooler and smarter imo, or at least more enjoyable. Kurapika vs Uvogin, Gon vs Genthru, Morau vs Cheetu, Hisoka vs Butler and some others are probably better imo.

I love HxH but I really didnt feel like this battle was so great and am really quite surprised people would say its the best.
Feb 28, 2016 3:27 PM

Jul 2015
people bash in akame ga kill ending because they give Akame a new power
and when they do the same by giving a new power to the old man no one complain?
Fuck double standards and chimera ant arc suck ,deal with it.
Feb 28, 2016 4:11 PM

Mar 2014
ROFL, not even close, probably the most disappointing fight in the series. Without even moving outside HxH we have:

Gon vs Hisoka, the best fight imo, at least from an animation and choreography standpoint, and the salt between Gon and Hisoka is strong, so that always helps.

Gon vs Knuckle, perfectly integrates lengthy explanations throughout the fight, this is why I feel justified in complaining about pacing in other parts of the CA arc, because I know they can do it well. We also learn more about nen, as well as the disadvantages to Gon's technique.

Gon and Killua vs Binolt, another fight with good animation, choreography, and strategy, fights like these are why HxH doesn't need to devote time to training arcs, because every one they face helps them get stronger, they pretty much always training, and it never comes at the expense of anything else.

Hisoka vs Gotoh, interesting strategy, I loved seeing a butler in action, especially against the best character in the show, and the expansion on bungee gum was great as well. It's definitely not the best fight, but still miles better than Meruem vs Netero

Gon vs Netero, the part where he's trying to get the ball. Again; training, animation, choreography.

Leol vs Morel, I think I just like that Morel's power is 420blazeit, but even so, the creative strategy used here makes it a fight with one of the best payoffs. I'm usually not into the types of fights that involve explaining how they defeated the enemy after defeating them, because I'm a big proponent of show, don't tell, but I feel this one pulled it off really well because the characters were making reasonable deductions about their opponents power throughout.

Netero vs Meruem was good from a thematic standpoint, that's it. The nuclear bomb symbolized that humanity would make it's home uninhabitable before giving it up. The fight itself was mostly animation loops and "But wait til you see my next power!"

Kurapika vs Uvogin, Youpi vs shoot&Knuckle, Gon vs Genthru, I could go on, but I'm done writing.
Feb 28, 2016 4:21 PM
Jun 2015
Coming from a hunter x hunter fan....no, it's not the best. In fact i found it boring. But thats just my opinion
Feb 28, 2016 4:54 PM

Jan 2010
Not sure why this was still around but...

Thread Locked

"Please refrain from creating threads that do not encourage discussion; e.g. random "xx vs. yy", picture collecting, simple listing, etc." - Rule 2, Anime/Manga Discussion Rules
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

108 by Weeaboo_Bomber »»
1 minute ago

» Early-mid 2000s anime – what are your thoughts?

Haneken2086 - Yesterday

19 by MasterTasuke »»
4 minutes ago

» Has the isekai bubble finally burst

EastIndiaCompany - Yesterday

44 by EastIndiaCompany »»
4 minutes ago

» Is it weird that I wish strong female characters would get sad ending?

Sanjay63773 - 47 minutes ago

7 by deg »»
7 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

65 by LostSpectre »»
13 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.