Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 20, 2015 10:35 AM

May 2012
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
This was actually quite lovely, even if it's more or less a complete recap of the main series with absolutely no difference (as far as I can tell) it still was a very lovely movie and interesting how they captured the whole story very properly in just 2 hours!

Really great recap movie if I can call it that in general and I'm looking forward to see what the second movie will offer us.
Jul 6, 2016 10:48 PM

Nov 2011
i'm kinda disapointed,the animation was a bit wonky in the series so i was hoping to see a completly new re-animated stuff,well aside from i'd enjoy this movie,all the battleships in this series they look awesome.
Feb 10, 2017 2:02 PM

Dec 2015
Ok... maybe I shouldn't have expected a better Yamato version with this movie. With all the continuity problems etc, I was expecting it to fix them. But apart from the aliens skin colour trouble. all the other problems were either simply erased or just kept.

Enjoyment:
First half: 2/5; second half: 5/5. Overall: 4/5

A summary movie with mild results: the 1st half is too slow with a second quarter relying on a very bad narrated synopsis, 2nd half offers the best late episodes and a FAR BETTER ending.

5+7=6/10

Sadly too short to showcase enough thrills to make justice to the full TV show. (maybe two 90mn movies would have succeed there?)

@RafaelDeJongh They did fix the ending, and although the corridor scene who served as excuse to justify the early pink skin of the aliens was kept, I don't think there were footages of the ten first episodes showing the wrong colour.

edit @Malevolent-Fae
It's the exact same animation, maybe one picture here and there was redrawn but nothing more, plus an added conclusion.
You can find the answer to your second question in my text. ^^
Excuse me for the late answer, but asking directly to one of the thread writers would have make your question more visible.

And if you ever watch Yamato and wonder about the sequel: the second movie is the original plotline made to offer a grandiose finale to the saga. But because of the great reception, the events were rapidly reworked into a second TV series who deviates a lot from the course the film took in order to allow for even more sequels.
Rei_IIIApr 16, 2017 12:17 PM
Mar 29, 2017 3:51 PM

Jun 2012
Question no. 1: Is the animation identical to the tv series/did they change the animation at all?

Question no. 2: Did they change the story at all?
Welcome to club: Anime that Should Continue
http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=37045
Mar 1, 2019 11:22 PM

Jul 2007
No it is pretty much a heavily condensed recap. The film contained most of the key moments, but left out nearly all the exposition, world building and scifi explanations. If anyone were to watch this film before watching the TV series, they come back with nothing but confusion and feel that the story was rushed well lacking any substance what so ever. Also the animation in area's was way off compared to the TV version. Quite frankly this was a slapped together quick fix for the company to sell a theatrical version of leiji's space opera.

The TV series on the other hand aside from some minor inconsistencies is so much greater.

5/10

TV series 8.5/10

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.