Forum Settings
Forums

How many anime series do you have to watch to become a hardcore fan?

New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
May 30, 2019 1:39 PM

Jan 2017
TornadoTheDragon said:
ichii_1 said:
300 series minimum regardless of length.

Never change m8.

Working_Designs said:
It's not really how many in total, but how many "Quality Titles" you've watched.

The problem is every medium has a very low % of quality to crap ratio. Anime is no exception. Heck you can even make the case that for anime it is very lopsided. Where for every 1 good anime there are 100 or more "crap" series.

Sure, nowadays with the high influx of shows. But then go back and watch the classics (Gundam, NGE, LoGH, etc) and I think thats what they mean.
May 30, 2019 1:40 PM

Mar 2019
Sayanora12 said:
gaq_t said:
As long as you've seen borutos dad Shippuden, you're a certified anime fan.
Agreed... Anyone who can get through Fillerpuden will always be a hardcore fan in my eyes.

Well like the OP said, One Piece is a lot of episodes, enough to count for about 35+ 24 episode series. But if somebody has only seen One Piece and nothing else, then it seems more like they are just a One Piece fan than an anime fan.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 30, 2019 2:09 PM

Aug 2018
It depends on how much hours you spent watching anime , not on how much did you watch

"I want to show that woman the true Yoshikage Kira. I want her to hear how I feel deep inside. That I want to take your slender neck into these hands and strangle you to death."

May 30, 2019 2:14 PM
Jul 2018
Ryuk9428 said:
Sayanora12 said:
Agreed... Anyone who can get through Fillerpuden will always be a hardcore fan in my eyes.

Well like the OP said, One Piece is a lot of episodes, enough to count for about 35+ 24 episode series. But if somebody has only seen One Piece and nothing else, then it seems more like they are just a One Piece fan than an anime fan.
Yea, I know. I was just making a joke lol, A bit of a bad one when I look back xd.
May 30, 2019 2:15 PM

Feb 2019
All of them.

Man, fuck those char requirements
May 30, 2019 2:18 PM

Oct 2008
Watch 50 anime a year, for several years and you will be a hardcore fan.

One Piece is a painful trial I wouldn't put myself through again.
May 30, 2019 2:28 PM

Mar 2019
Sayanora12 said:
Ryuk9428 said:

Yea, I know. I was just making a joke lol, A bit of a bad one when I look back xd.

No its probably just that I'm too literal.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 30, 2019 3:28 PM

Aug 2017
oreology said:
1000 or thou shalt never be part of thy cult.

I happened to notice that you haven't even watched 200 series, so I really have no clue what you're on about.

IntroverTurtle said:
1,000+ or I don't even recognize you exist.

Well notice me senpai!

My biggest regret: Reading all 200+ chapters of Kanojo, Okarishimasu
May 30, 2019 3:56 PM
Jul 2018
as much as lanblade or dateyutaka. or that other dude something cowboy
May 31, 2019 9:34 PM

Feb 2019
Brush up on history. watch a series that stretches back a few generations.
or just continue watching anime without giving a shit about titles that don't hold any value

It’s okay to look back at the past, just don’t stare too long

Jun 2, 2019 8:39 AM

Jul 2017
One is enough
It's the way you watch it, not the number you've watched
Jun 2, 2019 12:41 PM

Jan 2019
If you think you're a hardcore fan you can call you a hardcore fan. I've over 3k completed, but I'm not a hardcore fan.
Jun 2, 2019 4:09 PM
Oct 2018
you go hardcore once you watch 75 days of worth anime in about a year like me
Jun 2, 2019 4:15 PM

Oct 2013
Not sure, but whatever the number I'm pretty sure I passed it quite a while ago.
Jun 2, 2019 4:46 PM

Oct 2017
I'll throw in my opinion. This is from the perspective of someone that definitely thinks there is value in differentiating between hardcore fans and casuals and I don't think it needs to be elitist or negative. It's more about showing respect to people that have dedicated to their lives to anime and for whom the medium is really important to them. It irks me when someone whos barely watched anime tries to critisize it in some way. Fan service is a big one. I don't mind if someone who is clearly devoted to anime has negative things to say about it (as long as they're not an asshole about it, that comes first). But the amount of anti fan service whining from casuals on r/anime really annoys me. Imagine walking in to a community in which you're a newbie and more or less an outsider and telling a large portion of that community that you don't like them and they are [insert offensive, judgemental remark]. What kind of asshole do you have to be to do that?

I should point out that I don't in any way consider myself a hardcore fan yet. I tick a few boxes but my list is just too small. As for what constitutes a hardcore fan, here is a few factors I think are quite important, vaguely in order of importance:

1.a. Anime watch time. Time is our most precious resource.
1.b. Number of different series watched. Just watching all of One Piece is really not being an anime fan. It's being a One Piece fan.
1.c. Variety of different series watched in terms of genre. Just watching every battle shounen under the sun still kind of doesn't quite make you an anime fan. It moreso makes you a battle shounen fan. But it's splitting hairs at this point. Someone who has watched all of Naruto, DBZ, MHA etc. is far more an anime fan than most.
2. Merch. Money is our second most precious resource.
3. Being an Otaku. Anime is part of Otaku culture so there is some cred to be had here. This involves consuming Otaku media other than anime such as VNs, manga, doujinshi, Japanese video games etc.
4. Spending time talking about anime with others IRL or on social media. Though you should really be spending time actually watching shit instead of typing long unnecessarily in-depth forum posts (talking to me here).

X. I don't know where to put this but... actually being Japanese or at least understanding the culture and language. Fact remains that even with subtitles that don't localise too much, a great deal of the intended meaning is lost by not consuming anime in it's native form. We are still, in a way, appreciating a painting by having it described to us. Albeit really well described.
“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Aggregate scoring is bad for the anime fandom
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

77 by logopolis »»
1 minute ago

» Did you know that anime is amazing?

KryzakamiHrybami - 3 hours ago

13 by Kenzolo-folk »»
2 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows?

EverRealm - 11 hours ago

41 by Absurdo_N »»
5 minutes ago

» Has the isekai bubble finally burst

EastIndiaCompany - 29 minutes ago

4 by EastIndiaCompany »»
10 minutes ago

Poll: » Interest and hobbies change with time

nishant0 - 54 minutes ago

12 by Zimmu »»
12 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.